Vacation Time

by Meghann on May 15, 2009

The conference is over, the weekend is here and it’s time to start partying it up in San Antonio. πŸ˜‰

[Insert picture of myself with a margarita the size of my face here]

In reality my parents and I are exhausted and after a quiet night exploring the city we are ready to crash before the party even starts going.Oh well.

It has been a long day though!

This morning I did not have to be downstairs until 8:30 so I was able to sleep in until 6:00 (!) before getting up and heading the hotel gym. Luckily this morning a treadmill was open and waiting for me to hop on. I ran 4.6 miles in 45 minutes while watching music videos on VH1 again. I am not the biggest fan of running on treadmills, but I have to say the big fancy ones with the built in tv screens does make a big difference.

Breakfast this morning was the exact the same set up as yesterday, except this time they had bowls for cereal. I wasn’t feeling any of the choices they provided, so I brought out one of my prepackaged baggies.

DSCN0169.JPG

Again, the pretty labeling too remind me what I put in there.

DSCN0167.JPG

With no yogurt around I decided to bulk up the cereal with this individual serving of Justin’s Honey Peanut Butter instead.

DSCN0170.JPG

All together with a generous serving of fruit salad, this bowl of cereal was pretty awesome.

DSCN0171.JPG

I forget how much I loved nut butter on cereals and I need to remember this combination for my morning bowls at home.

The morning meetings went quickly and swiftly. At 10:00am we had a small break and I was able to grab another plate of fruit.

DSCN0174.JPG

Love, Love, Love me some fruit.

Lunch today was another big hit.

DSCN0175.JPG

We had a customizable Burger and Hot Dog Buffet that ended up winning the clients over. The burgers were HUGE and they had a wonderful assortment of topping and condiments as well as salads, chips and desserts.

I first loaded my plate with the Salad and a little dressing on the side.

DSCN0177.JPG

Then I got a little creative with what was available and made a Pepper Jack Cheese sandwich with a hotdog bun, tomato, onion and relish. It was very yummy.

DSCN0179.JPG

Now I feel I should explain the dessert situation from yesterday. I was not sad I ate the dessert, I mean we all know I enjoy dessert on a daily basis, I was just sad on how much I ate of the dessert. I am more of a enjoy it all in moderation girl not a eat two full servings on your own type of girl. I also knew I would be on ‘vacation’ all weekend and would be enjoying desserts through out the weekend. With that in mind I want to thank you for all of your wonderful comments. I read and needed each and everyone of them.

Today there was a display of desserts and a couple looked too good to pass up. Remembering how I felt yesterday I reminded myself of the everything in moderation rule and had a small semi-piece of the two that struck out on me.

DSCN0180.JPG

The couple bites was exactly what I needed and I had no urge to go back for more. I felt much better about my dessert choice today and that really set the mood for the rest of my evening.

We wrapped up the conference around 3:00pm and I was free to meet up with my parents who had arrived a couple hours before. We hit up the Riverwalk and started to explore.

DSCN0184.JPG

DSCN0181.JPG

Unforunately it started to rain. πŸ™ So we headed to Mad Dogs British Pub to enjoy a drink inside.

DSCN0204.JPG

Mad Dogs British Pub is a cool british theme bar with a great assortment of tacky decorations and british beer on tab.

DSCN0203.JPG

I ordered a Black & Blue which was 1/2 Guiness and 1/2 Blue Moon (or Shock Top in this instance)

DSCN0197.JPG

When the sun came out we headed to Market Square to try a restaurant that I have had constant recommendations for… Mi Tierra.

DSCN0206.JPG

I was pretty excited to try this place because sooo many people told me it was a must try. The bright decorations were very festive and welcoming.

DSCN0212.JPG

I was pretty hungry when we sat down so I nibbled on a couple of chips and sampled the array of salsas.

DSCN0210.JPG

When it came time to order I was really stuck on what I wanted to order. Luckily the waiter was really, really helpful and wanted to make sure I got what I wanted. I told him my love for vegetables and was looking for something that was more green on the plate the less brown. He told me there was a vegetarian option that wasn’t on the menu that he could customize to my liking. So that’s what I went with.

DSCN0215.JPG

This was two Corn Tortilla Tacos filled with an assortment of vegetables and a light sprinkle of cheese inside. There was salsa on top and some rice on the side with some whole beans.

DSCN0216.JPG

This was actually pretty amazing. I loved how it has the perfect amount of cheese on the inside and was overflowing with great vegetables. The beans were also great and spicy with whole pieces of jalapenos inside.

I know there have been some comments floating around asking if I have made the switch to being a vegetarian and I really haven’t. I just prefer the vegetarian options on menu simply because I love vegetables soo much. I am more of a vegetables as the main dish and meat on the side girl, while most of america is the other way around. But on occasion I do like to nibble on a piece of good meat.

To prove I still eat meat here is a piece of my Mom’s yummy pork I tried.

DSCN0219.JPG

I also tried a piece of my Dad’s goat her ordered. I like to try and sample everyone’s food and if I classify myself as a vegetarian then I couldn’t do that. So that is what I am, take it or leave it because its just the way I am.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way we can focus on the best part of Mi Tierra: the bakery!

DSCN0208.JPG

I spent 10-15 minutes speaking with the guy behind the counter as he explained to me just about what everything was. Even then I couldn’t decide what I wanted so we bought a sampling of pasteries to bring back to the hotel and enjoy.

DSCN0224.JPG DSCN0225.JPG

DSCN0226.JPG

I had a bite of each.

DSCN0235.JPG

They were all so tasty, there is no way I could come close to picking a favorite. Yum, Yum, Yum!

Now that I am out of work mode and switched onto vacation mode I feel like I can definitely kick back a little more and enjoy myself. I am not sure what the game plan is for tomorrow, but I am hoping there is still enough fun stuff left to explore. I feel bad that I kind of saw alot before my parents even arrived.

Have a great weekend!

1 Jen May 15, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Oh my GOD. Awesome food!! I am majorly jealous that you’re in vacation mode. Have a ton of fun!

2 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 15, 2009 at 9:51 pm

That’s so great your parents came to meet you to explore the city with you. πŸ™‚
All the food looks really good!
I totally get what you are saying about dessert. I feel the same way.
The bakery looks so good! I would have a hard time choosing what to get. haha

Enjoy your time in San Antonio!

3 HelpMeghanRun May 15, 2009 at 9:55 pm

That first picture of your parents on the Riverwalk…that is one of my very favorite spots! πŸ™‚ Glad you’re enjoying San Antonio.

4 Sarah May 15, 2009 at 9:58 pm

that is a beautiful breakfast bowl!

and i’d be just like you, passed out before the party, after such an action-packed day. and that lunch buffet and dinner are totally expansion-worthy (and you exercised admirable portion control, as usual). yummmmm!

5 Bec May 15, 2009 at 10:01 pm

enjoy the rest of your vacay with your parents!

6 Run Sarah May 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Love LOVE your dress…where did you get it? That beer looks so good, and I’m not usually a beer fan πŸ™‚ Glad you had a good evening with your parents.

7 Leana May 15, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Hi Meghann, sounds like you are enjoying San Antonio! I lived there for two years and absolutely loved it there.

I’m not sure if you need restaurant suggestions or not, but I absolutely loved Azuca (http://www.azuca.net/azuca/index.html). If you are staying on the Riverwalk then you should be able to walk there since it is a few blocks past La Villita and the Tower of the Americas. Amazing ceviche and mojitos.

Not sure if you have a car or not, but Beto’s Comida Latina was also one of my favorites. Fantastic fish tacos and some good veggie options. http://www.betoscomidalatina.com/

I’d definitely recommend checking these places out. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay there! I miss San Antonio for sure!

8 Rachel May 15, 2009 at 11:17 pm

I was thinking to myself earlier, you know, maybe Meghann worried herself a little bit too much about her dessert, but I have to respect a woman who orders her own pint of beer instead of “Oh, I just sipped my husband’s/boyfriend’s/friends/whatever”! And that was even before I saw this blog post, hehe! Glad to see you enjoying yourself.

9 whitneyinchicago May 15, 2009 at 11:21 pm

I am so glad you went to Mi Terra. Perfect San Antonio spot!

10 thelongweigh May 15, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Your food looks amazing! I like that you eat so many veggies but not classify yourself as vegetarian. I should be more like you.. I seriously lack veggies in my life.

I have to say I love your dress and boots! Adorable!

11 Mica May 15, 2009 at 11:53 pm

That’s cool that your parents came to visit! Have fun exploring San Antonio!

12 Sarah May 16, 2009 at 1:17 am

I think that dinner totally made up for the Italian Job, no?

Enjoy your weekend with sus padres!!!

13 Meganerd May 16, 2009 at 5:18 am

These pictures make me want to go to San Antonio! I’ve never thought of it as a vacation spot but it looks like so much fun. The seem to have a lot of Mexican food there, too, which I love! Can’t go wrong with a margarita πŸ™‚

14 Derek May 16, 2009 at 6:16 am

Looks like tons of fun! Less than 2 weeks! =)

15 Yasmin May 16, 2009 at 6:51 am

Mi Tierra has the best bakery. I always stock up on their pumpkin/sweet potato empanadas. Did you get any good shopping in? Continue enjoying your trip.

16 Katrina (gluten free gidget) May 16, 2009 at 7:17 am

I am the same way! I don’t really classify myself as a vegetarian. I just feel better when I don’t eat meat, so I prefer not to. If there’s nothing else though, or if I am visiting someone and meat is what they are serving, I’m not going to raise a big stink.
Your outfit was A-DORABLE, btw!

17 Heather May 16, 2009 at 7:41 am

You NEED to go to Chuy’s, it’s pretty famous TexMex. http://www.chuys.com

18 Shelby May 16, 2009 at 7:56 am

I LOVE PB on cereal. It’s a must for me.

I’m so glad you can relax now! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

19 ksgoodeats May 16, 2009 at 8:59 am

I’ve so been there with the hot dog bun sandwich!! Gotta love being creative πŸ™‚

Enjoy the rest of your vaca!

20 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 16, 2009 at 9:56 am

Wow, I would NOT have been able to control myself as well as you did!!!

21 Danica May 16, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Awww – I finally had a chance to catch up in like a week and you are now on vacation πŸ˜€ LOL

Your eats look amazing – have fun spending the rest of your vacay in San Antonio – it’s awesome!

22 kristi (sweet cheeks) May 16, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Looks like you’re having a great time! The desserts look awesome and I totally get what you mean about them…I feel SO much better physical and mentally if I enjoy a few bites and don’t overdo it. Keep up the good work!

Have a good day!

23 Jennifer @ His N' Her Health May 16, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Hope you have a great day with your family! Those pastries look delicious!

24 Pearl May 16, 2009 at 2:36 pm

you are such a great planner! and i love that tunic you’re wearing!

25 Shannon May 16, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I love your outfits. That dress is CUTE.

26 Kristen May 16, 2009 at 4:31 pm

where did u get your dress it is soo cute!

27 RK May 16, 2009 at 6:34 pm

I am so glad that today went/felt better for you food-wise. Everything looks delicious and I am glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself. Hope you had a great day today!
I also totally understand where you are coming from with the vegetarianism… I prefer to eat more veggies too and have meat on the side, but I would never become totally vegetarian.

28 Baking Monster May 16, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Everything looks soo good!

29 Jessica (jesslikesithot) May 16, 2009 at 11:24 pm

I love that dress Meghann!! And mmmm chips and salsa…..

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

30 Marissa May 17, 2009 at 1:49 am

Cute dress!

31 Danielle May 17, 2009 at 6:55 am

Looks like you are having so much fun!
Love your dress!

32 zestycook May 17, 2009 at 8:34 am

Glad to see you are having so much fun! Enjoy your weekend.