Work Day in San Antonio

by Meghann on May 14, 2009

Today was the first official day of my conference.

DSCN0124.JPG

I treated it like any other day and started the morning lacing of my running shoes and heading for a good work out before I was called to duty at 7:15.

I was shocked this morning when I discovered both treadmills were in use when I entered the hotel gym at 5:30 this morning. Bummer. It had actually been a while since I had hopped on an elliptical so I switched gears, made today a cross training day and spent 45 minutes doing a ‘hill’ work out. I also enjoyed the jumpstart music videos on VH1 while I was elipicating (?), it made me realize how much I love actual music videos.

After the elliptical I got a killer 15 minute arm work out in with 10 pound weights. If I had a work out bench, full length mirror and some 10 pound weights I think I would be more motivated to do strength training on a weekly basis rather then the monthly I currently experience.

After my work out and shower I was totally ready for the breakfast buffet we had set up by the registration table.

DSCN0092.JPG

Since I was in charge of the registering the clients breakfast was eaten sparatically over the hour period.

I started with a big plate of yummy fruit and a raisin bran muffin.

DSCN0093.JPG

Then I went back for more yummy fruit.

DSCN0094.JPG

And I would not be lying if there wasn’t another napkin filled with fruit after this. What can I say? A bowl of fresh fruit staring me in the face is my true weakness. Even when my tummy started to feel really full and bloated from the major amount of fruit I would still have a yearning to eat more. I guess it’s better then repeatedly going back for muffins, right?

This conference is on a much smaller scale then the one in Long Beach so it was a more intimate setting that required less running around and more sitting and listening.

DSCN0096.JPG

The good news I did learn A LOT about our product. πŸ™‚

All the fruit may have filled me up for the brief moment in time, but it went through me to fast and at our 10:00am break I brought out an Honest Food Bar to snack on.

DSCN0098.JPG

I am always scared to try any bar with a fruit in the title but I honestly enjoyed the Apple Ginger flavor. The apple chunks were minimal and the ginger flavor was nonexistent. It was exactly what I needed.

Lunch today was catered by hotel which means it was only so-so.

We started with a nice house salad and I had a little parmesan dressing on the side for dipping.

DSCN0111.JPG

Now for the meal my supervisor again made every attempt possible to let the staff and our events service manager no we request no pasta for the vegetarian entree. You can imagine my deep hysterics when a big plate of pasta was placed in front of me for my meal. After the incident in Long Beach and how we bolded NO PASTA on all out order forms I just found it deeply ironic.

Once again I found being one of the planners of the events has its perks and the waiter was very kind to bring me a pastaless vegetarian dish. He then presented me with buttered grilled vegetables.

DSCN0113.JPG

Oh yeah, these babies were drenched in butter and I’m not going to lie they were good. I ate about 75% of it.

The table had flour tortillas on it so I took one and made a veggie fajita.

DSCN0114.JPG

Dessert was a lovely piece of Apple Pie.

DSCN0116.JPG

I meant to just eat half but the cinnamon crumble topping pulled me in and I ate it all. Bad Meghann.

What’s even worse was for our afternoon break we were presented with fresh cookies.

DSCN0119.JPG

Normally I am one to stay away from cookies, but our hotel is kind of famous for their bakery and this one kind of shot out on me.

DSCN0122.JPG

It was filled with Walnuts, Oatmeal, Cinnamon and dried Cranberries and it was good. Again, I meant to eat half and ate the whole damn thing. What is wrong with me today?!?!?!?!

Of course this is the part where the guilt starts to pour in and I can’t believe the two desserts I have already ate today and what in the world I was going to do for dinner. I wish I could be the big person and say I was comfortable with my choices, but I just can’t. I should just had a couple of bites of them each and have been done with it. Sorry to be a downer, but I am being honest here.

It’s funny because I couldn’t say no to a sugar cookie, but I had no problem turning down the quasadilla bar and open bar at the customer appreciation session this evening.

DSCN0128.JPG

It all looked and smelled really good, but I was full of Apple Pie and Cookie.

DSCN0129.JPG

I was ready to get out, walk, and explore the town after we were released for the day. A couple co-workers and I headed to Hemisfair Park to take the elevator to the top of the Tower of Americas.

DSCN0136.JPG

It was a cool, quick elevator ride with a glass wall to let you enjoy the view on the way up.

DSCN0140.JPG

The views from the top weren’t bad either.

DSCN0141.JPG

It was really, really windy though!!

DSCN0151.JPG

Check out my co-worker’s hair! πŸ™‚

DSCN0152.JPG

More cool views.

DSCN0157.JPG

After our 360 degree view of San Antonio I was ready for dinner so we headed to a little place one of our local clients reccommended.

DSCN0159.JPG

It’s funny because she raved and raved about this place, but honestly I was not impressed at all. It had a small menu and reminded me of any regular ole mexican place back home. At least our table had a great view of the river.

DSCN0160.JPG

I ordered the Huevos Rancheros with whole beans instead of refried (eww… lard).

DSCN0164.JPG

I also asked for a side of Corn Tortillas….

DSCN0162.JPG

And proceeded to make Egg & Bean Tacos πŸ™‚

DSCN0165.JPG

It really hit the spot, but again nothing I would write home about.

Now I am soo ready for bed. I am crossing my fingers for an empty treadmill in the morning. πŸ™‚ Tomorrow is the final day of the conference and my parents are actually flying in in the afternoon to spend the weekend exploring San Antonio with me. I am very excited and can not wait to see their smiling faces.

Have a great Friday everyone!!!

1 Bec May 14, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Its so ridiculous how vegetarian is almost always pasta!

2 HelpMeghanRun May 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Tomorrow is a new day. πŸ™‚ Enjoy the time with your parents!

3 Katie May 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm

i understand and can empathize about the guilt you must have felt about the desserts, but please cut yourself some slack meghann! you’re training for a marathon, running many miles a week, including a recent 20 miler! it’s okay to indulge sometimes after all the hard work you’ve been doing. when i was training for my marathon i became too worried about making sure everything i was putting into my body was healthy and freaked out a bit when i ate desserts and other things like that. when marathon day finally came i was not properly fueled and suffered major burnout during the race. enjoy your desserts and other delicious food with a smile on your face, you deserve it!

and tomorrow is a new day πŸ™‚

4 jen May 14, 2009 at 10:25 pm

i am so sick of women saying they are bad because they ate something they wanted and enjoyed. not because you are weak, but because it tastes good and you wanted it. be honest, all of you. it looks and smells delicious and, lo and behold, it tastes delicious. you wanted it. stop asking what is wrong with you and STOP. SAYING. YOU. ARE. BAD!

life is short. and when it’s over, it’s over. why punish yourself? just be glad you were afforded the opportunity to eat it.

5 Run Sarah May 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Sounds like your first day was great…I sometimes feel guilty when eating too many desserts but sometimes it helps me to remember everything balances out…as long as I’m not eating tons of desserts everyday it all balances out. Hope you are able to secure a treadmill tomorrow – I used to hate going to the gym and finding my machine of choice wasnt free!

6 Marina May 14, 2009 at 10:43 pm

It sounds like you are doing a great job of being healthy while travelling, and thatΒ΄s something thatΒ΄s pretty tough. You shouldnΒ΄t feel bad at all! Maybe cookies and pie donΒ΄t have that many nutritional benefits, but theyΒ΄re good for the soul! Have a great weekend!

7 Molly May 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm

It’s really defeating to read you berate yourself for having two desserts when you are training for a marathon and eating so healthy most of the time.

8 Christina May 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Aw don’t feel bad about the desserts. I feel the same way when that happens but as long you go back to normal eating tomorrow you shouldn’t worry about it!

So awesome your parents are flying in to hang out with you tomorrow. Have a great day exploring!

9 Nicole May 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm

I love breakfast buffets when you are free to munch on as much fruit as you desire! Yum.

10 Caroline May 14, 2009 at 10:59 pm

I think you’re being a little too hard on yourself. Keep your head up,this too shall pass. So you had a small piece of pie and a cookie, that was your dessert for the day. Your other eats seem healthy and they always do. Anyway I think you are doing great, and dont worry your trip will be over soon and you can eat how you want again. And I hope you have a good time with the parents tomorrow!

11 Amanda May 14, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Meghann, I have to say that I knew that the above comments (and more to follow, I am sure) would be posted in response to what you wrote. In reality, you are being honest with how you feel and it is difficult to change your mindset. I can definitely tell you that I feel the same way often. For me, it is having treats in the middle of the day because then I stress about how I will handle “clean eating” for the remainder. When I have desserts after dinner though, I am fine! Just try to be totally rational with yourself and realize that each and every day cannot be measured and planned. I also live alone and plan out ALL of my meals and feel like I have a good grasp on it .. I don’t keep tempting foods at home, etc. BUT life is not to be completely planned. Hopefully you will remember how delicious those treats were and realize that it was one day!! Enjoy the weekend with your parents πŸ™‚

12 Erin May 14, 2009 at 11:42 pm

I gotta say it is pretty brutal to read you feeling SO bad over a cookie and a slice of pie.

I understand you are being honest, which is great..but you worked ate, and by the looks of it didn’t have much for breakfast/lunch. So you ate something. Big deal.

You do so well 99.9% of the time. You’re a great eater, you exercise tons and you provide inspiration for many. However, how are some readers supposed to feel when you mess up ONCE, when lots of readers are probably struggling weekly.

Just don’t beat yourself up over it. It is NOT that bad. Tomorrow is a new day to do better..blah blah blah πŸ˜‰

13 Elizabeth May 14, 2009 at 11:43 pm

It’s so disappointing to me that even a healthy balanced role model like you cannot realize that there’s a little wiggle room in everyone’s diet… especially when one is burning as many calories daily as you are with your marathon training. GET OVER IT! One day of two indulgent desserts is not going to throw your health-conscious lifestyle to the wind, and being as upset about it as you are is no way to live. Life happens, we can’t always control every little bit of it, so how about you stop getting upset over a delicious slice of apple pie and cookie and enjoy the opportunity you have to see San Antonio and see your hard work pay off? Easing up a bit on yourself and your life will leave you happier, and believe it or not, healthier as well.

14 Rachel May 15, 2009 at 12:20 am

I love watching music videos on the morning! I usually turn on VH1 while I get ready because they play a lot of throwback stuff and it makes me very nostalgic.

I know people have already commented on the beating yourself up for having desserts thing, and I probably have nothing to add, but I will just say that we all probably know how you feel and can offer empathy. I hope that instead of feeling guilt over being bad, you can look at the day and think, “Maybe I could’ve chosen differently. Oh well, I will next time.” and brush it off! It’s impossible to eat perfectly all day, every day. And we are much more interesting and happier people for being imperfect! I hope the rest of your trip goes well… and certainly always go back for thirds on fresh fruit!

15 tami May 15, 2009 at 3:42 am

my friend does her weight training at home in her bathroom! she uses the tub to do tips and the mirror to watch her form!

i have been watching my snacking this week so those cookies would have done me in too!

i hope there is a treadmill for you

16 meg May 15, 2009 at 5:52 am

Loved the recap of your day! Enjoy exploring San Antonio more.

17 Katrina (gluten free gidget) May 15, 2009 at 6:39 am

Don’t beat yourself up about the dessert. Fresh pie is like a gift. It would be totally rude to turn it down! πŸ™‚
I tried to go to a Mexican restaurant yesterday, too. I checked out the menu before being seated and they didn’t have any vegetarian options! NONE! What’s up with that? A mexican place with no veggie choices?! I opted to be adventurous instead and went 2 doors down to an A-MAZING Ethiopian restaurant. Check out my blog for the details.
I hope the rest of your trip is more successful restaurant wise. But… at least you got to explore the city some more!

18 caitlin May 15, 2009 at 6:43 am

MEGHANN!!! i have to actually AGREE with the comments above. YOU ARE TRAINING FOR A MARATHON. you can eat two desserts! hell, even if you WEREN’T training for a marathon you can eat two desserts!

plus can you really turn down cookies AND apple pie? i wouldn’t have LOL

19 Jewels May 15, 2009 at 6:59 am

I love eating on the water!!! That looks so pretty

20 Holly May 15, 2009 at 7:24 am

Don’t beat yourself up, Meghann! I have to agree with everyone else….your body is burning an INSANE amount of calories during your training. Not just on the days you have long runs, but all the time. Many of us who are less active would’ve done the same thing. πŸ™‚ Enjoy your time and no worries about the eating – you are so healthy 99% of the time, you totally deserve an indulgence!

Hope you have fun with your family!

21 megan May 15, 2009 at 7:35 am

I totally understand your feelings! haha I don’t think they’re right, but I would have definitely felt the same way. πŸ™‚ I always say i’m going to eat half, but really, i never do – i have such a sweet tooth! The best thing for me is to get rid of the other half before i taste the half I want to eat. once I taste it, it’s all over, so it’s best to have the other half unavailable πŸ™‚

22 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 15, 2009 at 7:43 am

I’m willing to bet that you’re super hungry from training, just like everyone else said!

23 Lily May 15, 2009 at 7:45 am

First of all, I think it’s AWESOME that you were honest about how your food choices made you feel.

Second, I agree and disagree with the above comments.

Here’s what I agree with: don’t beat yourself, you can have two desserts if you wish.

Here’s what I have a serious problem with: ONE cookie does not in any way shape or form count as a dessert (fine, depending on size). But seriously what pisses me off is how people are saying “it’s okay to indulge” .. yes its okay to indulge, but what you did was NOT indulging. I know “indulge” is subjective, but indulge, to me, is like 5 glasses of wine and a huge piece of chocolate cake. Not a sliver of pie and ONE cookie for a girl in marathon training.

I find it borderline insulting the exaggerations used in food blogging (again I know I shouldn’t complain when clearly i like to read them). What is worse are the comments like “oh i love indulgent days good for you!”….because couched in that sacchrine sweet good-for-you-i’m-pleased-you-ate-it “compliment” is a tacit agreement that whatever food/behavior in question WAS an indulgent, was a “treat,” was something noteworthy. Does that make sense? Anyone?

To reiterate, you, your blog, and your honesety are all fantastic and appreciated. A word of caution: self-direction in terms of fitness can be dangerous. Because there is no clear goal at the end. You can always be faster, run longer, lift more, etc…..or can you? What I mean to say is with soft deadlines we (and i speak from personal experience) can push ourselves too hard because there is no stopping point. This tenacious trait, desirable in so many aspects of life, can be killer for the body image pysche. I see germs of issues in your posts. Don’t let negative thoughts fertilize these germs into a full-blown ED. ED doesn’t have to mean the traditional bulimic or anorexic, it can also just mean a hyper-awareness of food.

24 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 15, 2009 at 8:02 am

San Antonio looks like a great place to visit! I am glad everything is going well for you!

I am a sucker like you when it comes to fresh beautiful fruit! I would be all over that table too!

Every now and then you’re allowed to have two desserts in one day πŸ™‚ Don’t beat yourself up over it πŸ™‚

Quick question: why don’t you like to have bars with a fruit in the title??

Have a wonderful day!! Hope you get a treadmill!

25 Ari May 15, 2009 at 8:07 am

Lily, completely agree. Also, I have to say that although I really love your blog and think you do a great job, it’s a little sad to me to hear you complain about nearly every meal that’s been served to you these past couple of days. This is a recession, and something like 1 in 8 Americans don’t know where their next meal is coming from – let alone what is happening in the rest of the world. Not only are you lucky to have these meals, but I’m guessing that they are free for you. Sometimes it’s worth it to step back and really think about the big picture – a little extra oil or pasta isn’t going to kill you. Be thankful you have a choice most of the time.

26 brandi May 15, 2009 at 8:12 am

isn’t it ridiculous that “veggie” choices at restaurants and the like are cheesy pasta or buttery something.

27 Rachel May 15, 2009 at 8:13 am

I agree with what everyone is saying. Enjoy your cookie, pie, mexican food and italian food!! I feel some guilt eating like that too but I’m definitely not running as much as you either. It all balances out in the end. I sometimes get the feeling you should be eating MORE throughout the day because you burn tons of calories every day. Ease up on yourself and have fun in Texas…it is the best state after all πŸ™‚

28 Amy C. May 15, 2009 at 8:24 am

I’m glad you’re being honest but you should really try to stop putting yourself down over two desserts. I find when people label food as good and bad, nothing good ever comes of it. You’re an active girl and if once in a blue moon you decide to eat two desserts in one day, then there’s no shame in that. It’s not like you binge or eat like that every day. Someday when you’re a mom would you want your daughters to beat themselves up over eating a dessert? Just get over it and enjoy your time in Texas!!! πŸ™‚

29 redheadyellowdog May 15, 2009 at 8:33 am

ugh I hate when the veggie option is automatically pasta! Be a little more creative people! maybe you should give them a link to your blog πŸ™‚

and no reason to beat yourself up over a cookie and a slice of pie! as long as they were delicious which it looks like they were!

30 Hangry Pants May 15, 2009 at 8:34 am

Hey Meghann, I appreciate your honesty. It’s hard to tell tone over a blog sometimes, but it sounds like this really upset you and I truly hope that’s not the case because you are such an awesome person. Of course, you are not perfect and so sometimes things that rationally should not upset you will. I think people are assuming it was the calories that upset you, but maybe it was the feeling of lack of control and/or the “unhealthy” ingredients that got you down. Either way, I hope you are feeling better today!!!! You are Bad … BAD ASS!

31 Jess S May 15, 2009 at 8:44 am

That jacket is so freaking cute. I love it!

32 Stacey May 15, 2009 at 8:45 am

Don’t feel guilty! Everyone has those days, the key is just being confident enough in your eating habits and yourself to know that two desserts isn’t going to matter in 10 years!!! It’s all about lifestyle πŸ™‚

PS. LOVE that red jacket!!! where did you get it?

33 Rose May 15, 2009 at 8:46 am

I understand how you feel. Conference eating for me was always tough. In a few days, you’ll be back into your normal routine and all will be well πŸ™‚

I give you props for working out while at the conference! I always made plans to run but promptly hit the snooze.

34 Jessica May 15, 2009 at 9:05 am

I agree with the other posters – cut yourself some slack on the desserts – you deserve it!!! Eating out of town is always the toughest thing for me. My husband and I live about 3 hours away from my family and about 12 from his family so we do a lot of traveling and I always struggle with making good decisions when out of town. It is hard for me to shake the whole “hey, I am on vacation mentality.” It looks like you are doing great though which is wonderful inspiration!

35 rhodeygirl May 15, 2009 at 9:30 am

usually in those cases i am more upset that i had DECIDED to eat only half but then ate the whole thing rather than the actual calories the whole thing had.

i can relate to you on this.

today is a new day though, and your body has already burned it all off with all the exercise you do! it will even out.

have a fabulous day!

36 ksgoodeats May 15, 2009 at 9:31 am

First of all, I feel you on the pasta annoyingness! As a vegetarian, pasta gets old QUICK which is why I hardly ever eat it.

Secondly, LOVE the red top! Where’s it from if you don’t mind me asking?

Third, I appreciate your honesty. Being on vacation (sort of, even if it’s a work event) it’s hard to eat healthy all the time but try not to worry too much about it. Enjoy yourself and enjoy your time in San Antonio πŸ™‚

37 Pearl May 15, 2009 at 10:12 am

i’m glad to see that your conference is going well!

38 Jess May 15, 2009 at 10:17 am

Have you gone completely vegetarian or are you just considering that to be a healthier alternative while traveling? I meant to ask you this after the Long Beach pasta debacle, but got distracted.
Good luck with the rest of the conference!

39 Meghann May 15, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I just consider it a healthier alternative when traveling. The regular option for lunch was chicken covered in cheese, beans, guac and so on.

40 Stephanie May 15, 2009 at 10:36 am

I wish that people understood that people who like vegetarian dishes don’t like potatoes, pasta or cheese. People there are other protein sources out there – try beans. And all those starches just reverse the good of the veggies and weigh me down…

Makes me go for the fish more often than not…

41 runnerskitchen May 15, 2009 at 10:50 am

don’t be so hard on yourself! you have a marathon coming up – think of the pie and cookie as necessary carbo loading. whenever i’m too hard on myself, i try to treat myself as i would a friend. if my friend felt guilty about eating 2 desserts – i would say something like “but i bet they tasted delicious!” rather than “you should feel guilty…i can’t believe you did that” i think we all need to be a little kinder to ourselves sometimes πŸ™‚

42 Lee May 15, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I liked your honesty as well. It’s how you felt. I wouldn’t want any blogger, especially one with a large following like yourself, to feel like she has to censor her feelings in her writing.

I’ve been in that situation (I mean the feeling bad that I ate too many whatever) and it sucks and you can’t help the way you feel about it. But as Rhodeygirl said above, tomorrow is a new day.

43 bee May 15, 2009 at 1:24 pm

i’m not going to assume to know exactly how you felt, but i can relate. i’ve lost about 20 pounds and mostly kept it off for about 5 years. before i began exercising and eating healthy, my habits were awful. and so whenever i find myself eating pie and cookies in one day, i get nervous that i am reverting back to how i was before i lost weight. like any self-control i had is going away.

44 Leah May 15, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Sorry Meghann if you’ve answered this before but have you decided to go vegetarian??

Looks like you are having a great time!

45 Meghann May 15, 2009 at 3:20 pm

I have not decided to go vegetarian, I just prefer the vegetarian options at conferences and stay away from red meat.

46 April May 15, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Conferences are so hard… traveling in general is hard. You can’t control what they have in the pantry/fridge, how they cook, etc… it’s rough! And I always feel bad if I feel like I overindulge, too; just human nature! Everyone may think I’m dumb, but I just recently discovered that you CAN take food on a flight in carry-on luggage… I only thought you could pack it in checked! I took full advantage of that this week and packed healthy snacks for my long, long day of flights and also an empty waterbottle that I could fill in the airport. Then I wouldn’t be tempted to spend major money on airport drinks! (Water for $3.50, are you serious? Makes me want to get the soda!! haha).

47 caronae May 15, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Don’t feel bad about not eating perfectly. For me, I tell myself that vacation is not an excuse to eat the whole world, but as long as you’re eating as much healthy stuff as you can (and it looks like you are), then a few treats won’t kill you. Maybe to avoid the vegetarian/pasta debacle you should give the caterers lists of potential vegetarian entrees (like a tofu-veggie stir fry or a salad with tempeh or polenta or roasted veggies with black beans). It’s kind of sad that they always come up with pasta because there really are a lot of veggie options…Anyways, have fun!

48 Abbie May 15, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Hey Meghann-
I never leave a comment, but I have purchased some yummy items from your bake sales. Anyway, I am from San Antonio, and I highly suggest that you eat at Green Vegetarian Cuisine and Coffee. It is in the downtown area. 1017 N. Flores St. It is VERY good! Down on the river walk, I also suggest Boudro’s, Biga on the Banks, and Rosario’s for some GOOD Mexican food. I hope this helps, so that you will enjoy the rest of your meals in San Antonio. Have fun!
Oh, one more thing, our zoo is great too! πŸ™‚

49 RK May 15, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Take it easy on yourself girl! (I know, easier said than done). Seriously, you ate very healthfully all day and weren’t out of line with your desserts AT ALL! You exercise regularly and are training for a marathon. Your body needs those calories to keep up its energy. Maybe your body was craving those sweets today because it needed them. I kind of feel like a hypocrite writing this because I struggle with the same thoughts and feelings, but I am trying to challenge those thoughts and be gentler with myself and my body. Please allow yourself to enjoy the experience and your weekend with your parents.

50 Meredith May 15, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Your red top is so beautiful! Please give an update about the summit!

51 Rachel May 15, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I think it’s always hard when we eat foods that we don’t have on a daily basis. I have similar feelings of guilt, even when I know that it shouldn’t be a big deal. One thing that sometimes helps me is to think about how the “indulgences” don’t even come close to 3500 calories (to gain one pound). Also, I’ve been struggling with binge eating for awhile (you DEFINITELY didn’t binge though, I hope you don’t take me the wrong way) and really, the only way to gain a significant amount of weight is to indulge consistently, not by having a few desserts while on a trip. Even if you did eat enough to gain weight, it would be gone in about two seconds after you got home. Oh, and remember over Christmas when you felt super guilty about what you were eating and you actually ended up losing weight? It’s a similar situation right now! πŸ™‚

52 Lara May 15, 2009 at 8:07 pm

This post makes me so sad. I didn’t realize you had such an unhealthy relationship with food.

53 evan May 15, 2009 at 9:39 pm

it’s been reiterated about 50 times, i don’t have to say half of what i’m thinking.

BUT: as a girl who recovered from an ED that came from what was first a healthy, reasonable weight loss, i’ve gotta admit that i see warning signs from your last couple weeks of posts. you can’t censor how you feel, and no one should be offended or judgmental of what you write. you’re also obviously a compelling individual if your blog has such a following- but as a delurking reader, i’m commenting out of mild concern, not judgment, offense or anything like that. it’s hard, like hangry said, to determine someone’s tone over a blog, but over the past few weeks, your perceived “tone” about food has been persnickety, joyless and overly cautious- ESPECIALLY when dining out, but generally most of the time, except when the food you eat is prepared solely by you. these are all characteristics that i began to take on when my ED started to develop. if i were you, i’d just pay attention to where those somewhat restrictive, tense thoughts have been coming from and try to nip them in the bud. you’re too active, interesting, and downright PRETTY to let your healthy lifestyle turn into something significantly less so.

and i wish that someone had told me that at sixteen years old!

54 Lara May 16, 2009 at 7:30 am

huge ditto to what Evan said. I am also someone who recovered from an ED (going on almost 20yrs now) and your comments, eating habits, view of food etc is exactly how I and many of the other women I know with ED’s used to talk/think.