Snackaroons

by Meghann on May 12, 2009

Preparing power points, overnighting supplies, confirming hotel reservations and food listsits all coming down to the wire over here!

Thank you for all of your great advice for healthy traveling. I am going to stick with the same game plan I had in Long Beach as much as possible and try to enjoy the city without over doing it. I have also been researching some running trails along the River Walk, which is where we are staying in San Antonio. Has anyone ever ran along the riverwalk before? Any good tips on where to go for a great run in that area?

For my snack this morning I dug into my vast amount of samples from the Blue Mountain Organic people and decided to try the TBR Vanilla Snackaroons.

DSCN0134

My sample package had 1 serving or 2 ‘snackaroons’ which made for a tiny yummy snack.

DSCN0136

These raw snackroons were so yummy. They were full of vanilla flavor, but not too sweet. I love how dense and chewy they are, but not heavy at all.

Don’t forget if you want to purchase your own lovely raw ‘baked’ good head over to the Blue Organic Store and take a gander. During the month of May 10% of all sales that mention this blog at check out will be donated to Feeding America. It’s a great charity with a great mission!

I tried something new for my snack and I carried the theme on to my lunch by finally getting around to testing out this Amy’s Indian Sanisa Wrap that has been in my freezer far too long.

DSCN0138

I have been curious about sampling Amy’s Indian Wraps for a while, but I can only ever find the regular ole burrito variety at my neighborhood Publix. I was very excited to see these at Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago and have just been waiting for the right opportunity to try it out.

I followed the microwavable directions and in 2 minutes had a hot Samoas Wrap ready to be consumed.

DSCN0143

Inside was a delish hearty mix of Tofu, Potatoes and Peas.

DSCN0147

As with the majority of Amy’s products I have tried this one is another winner. The flavors were great and the wrap was neither soggy or too chewy. I would happily pick more up next time I’m at Whole Foods and only wish my Publix carried the same ones.

Of course, this the wrap would never fly for a whole meal on my lunch table to I bulked it up with a nice side salad of Spinach, Carrots, Tomatoes, Radishes and a drizzle of Tamari Peanut Dressing.

DSCN0142

Now this is more I like it.

DSCN0140

To round the meal out I also had a piece of Saltwater Taffy.

DSCN0149

This one was some sort of orange flavor and really, really yummy.

Now there’s only a few more hours to go in the work day. Yay!

1 brandi May 12, 2009 at 12:51 pm

sounds like the trip will go well!

the only thing I try to do is pack easy snack things (bars, trail mix, etc) for when there are no options somewhere and I’m starving. Otherwise, just enjoy yourself and make the best choices you can!

I’ve never seen that wrap before, but it sounds great.

2 Jen May 12, 2009 at 12:54 pm

The snackaroons look SO good. And I’ve never seen that Amy’s Samosa wrap before! More things to keep an eye out for. 🙂

3 Bec May 12, 2009 at 1:01 pm

That amys samosa looks amazing! Good luck with the rest of your preparations for work 🙂

4 Marissa May 12, 2009 at 1:07 pm

I just love Amy’s products!

5 Trish (girlatgym) May 12, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Those snackaroon look really, really good. I may have to try them. 🙂

6 Mica May 12, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Mm, samosas in all forms are delicious.

7 lauren May 12, 2009 at 1:13 pm

i have been reading your blog for a while now but just never commented before! i saw you are going to san antonio for business and i am from texas and been there MANYYY times!

There are parts of the river walk that would be okay to run in earlier in the mornings, but the main parts of it I would not recommend just because it’s so crowded, very narrow pathways, and restaurants on the sides. San Antonio downtown still have some very scenic areas with lots of nice sidewalks that would be good to run around…I would just recommend going with a buddy. While I was there I just stuck to the hotel workout room and got extra workouts in by walking the river/mall/etc. If you have any questions or want any info for anything feel free to ask!

8 lauren May 12, 2009 at 1:14 pm

9 Meredith May 12, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Hope your trip goes well!! Amy’s makes some great products!

10 Joy May 12, 2009 at 1:33 pm

haha honestly one of my favorite meals is an amy’s black bean & vegetable burrito with a huge spinach salad. SO delicious, i’ll have to try out this indian one

11 Sarah May 12, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Your lunch looks delicious! I hope you have a nice trip and find somewhere SAFE to run. I’d ask your concierge.

12 Sara May 12, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Enjoy the trip! I travel to TX a lot for work and San Antonio is a fun city. I don’t know about running near the River Walk though, that area is pretty congested. The downtown area is more for sight seeing.

13 LT May 12, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I hate to tell you that SA is not that runner-friendly. The River Walk is pretty narrow and probably not the best for running. But you can try (definitely go early).

14 FitFoodie May 12, 2009 at 1:52 pm

The snackaroons look great. So does the samosa wrap…I’ll have to look for that at whole foods!

15 Quinn May 12, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Good luck with your last minute preparations!

16 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 12, 2009 at 2:23 pm

I have to get some Amy’s products in my freezer for emergencies! I’ve only heard good things about them on people’s blogs.

Good luck preparing!! I hope the run place in San Antonio is nice!

Have a good afternoon/eve!

17 Melissa P. May 12, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Head’s up- I was in San Antonio a couple of years ago for a wedding and got mugged on the River Walk. It was probably around 7PM and I was with my then boyfriend, who at 6’4″ and fit ,I would have thought would be intimidating. We were walking back to the parking structure, so the area was not well lit, but I would not recommend running there by yourself. Plus, it will probably be very hot and humid. I say hit the hotel gym and walk with groups in the evening. Yikes…

18 AJ May 12, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Meghann,
I have been to San Antonion many times (im from houston) and if you want some good barbe que on the riverwalk I would reccommend the county line .. very good, and you cant really go wrong with mexican in texas! Have fun and be safe
AJ

19 Leah @ simply Fabulous May 12, 2009 at 3:09 pm

You are so dedicated to be looking up running trails for your trip! I admire that! Your wrap looks so good!

20 Melissa S. May 12, 2009 at 3:49 pm

never been to san antonio but i’m sure brad knows of places…i’ll make sure to ask!

21 ksgoodeats May 12, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Those snackaroons look really good! Perfect for a mini snack 🙂

22 Sarah May 12, 2009 at 4:43 pm

ive walked the riverwalk before and it was really fun, lots to see and look at but it was at lunch time and super crowded. i’d run it early in the morning and maybe with somebody if you’re worried about safety.
have a good trip.

23 Lori May 12, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I honestly don’t think you would get much of a workout trying to run along the Riverwalk. Even if you can find a time when it is not busy, it is narrow and the path is very uneven (I think it maybe cobblestone?). I don’t know the area well enough to suggest any good running areas – you may have to stick to the hotel gym.
Enjoy your time there and I suggest the tableside guacamole from the Iron Cactus (on the Riverwalk) 🙂

24 HelpMeghanRun May 12, 2009 at 5:17 pm

You’ll have fun in San Antonio! I love that city. And I agree with everyone, the Riverwalk would be hard to run on (besides maybe the early morning) because it’s so busy. And narrow, you wouldn’t want to fall in the river! 🙂 But definitely ask your concierge. And let me know if you want restaurant rec’s or anything (on the Riverwalk or off), I’ve been there lots of times.

25 Run Sarah May 12, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Good luck with your trip planning! The riverwalk sounds really neat!

26 strivingforbalance May 12, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I’ve never tried Amy’s products, but they look good! Glad you enjoyed it!

27 meg May 12, 2009 at 6:44 pm

I want some snackaroons!

28 whitneyinchicago May 12, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Def. agree w/ what everyone has said about the riverwalk. Its is NOT runner friendly at all. I really would suggest just running along the streets if you need to get a run in off the treadmill.

Too bad you can’t make it to Austin. Lots of outdoor fun there.

29 lilveggiepatch May 12, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Those macaroons look delish! I’ve been on such a coconut kick recently and just can’t get enough (I just can’t get enough…).

30 Pearl May 12, 2009 at 8:51 pm

tamari peanut dressing sounds delish!

31 stephanie p May 12, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Most mexican restaurants on the riverwalk are expensive and not that good. You pay more because you are on the riverwalk. If you like enchiladas, go to picante grill. good grease can be found at tomatillos and a nice ambiance at rosario’s. if you like breakfast tacos, hit up taco taco. Hotel Valencia on the riverwalk has a free (well it was free when I lived there) dance floor with a great dj at night. It was never crowded. have fun!

32 Blythe May 13, 2009 at 10:18 am

Hi there!

Welcome to southern Texas! It’s going to be extremely hot here while you’re in town, so before the sun comes up is the best time to run…the earlier the better–the heat picks up around 7:30, 7:45am down here and will stay through the night until pretty late–sometimes 10pm…..Yes, the “touristy” portion of the Riverwalk is not recommended for running because it is always full of tourists and frankly, more fun to walk through, BUT the city just extended the riverwalk to the Pearl Brewery with a Farmer’s Market that just opened on Saturday mornings…..If you wanted to run, I know people go that direction to get away from the crowds (it’s the portion of the RW where the restaurants have ended and the hotels are sparse) and run towards the brewery. Stay safe–please–downtown is NOT a great area and has a lot of homeless and crime problems, so be safe and smart–and it never hurts to stay in AC in the hotel for your workouts 🙂 Enjoy our city!!! Love the blog!