I Eat Bugs

by Meghann on May 12, 2009

A bug flew in my mouth today while I was running. Before I knew it I was choking it down, gagging from the thought of what I just swallowed.

I don’t even want to attempt to count the amount of bugs I have digested over the last year while running. I guess it’s just what happens when you run with you mouth hanging open, gasping for air. But I mean really, what’s the harm in swallowing a little bug? As my Dad would say, it’s just a little extra protein. 😉

With the bug incident not deterring my running at all I still managed to get in a 6.5 mile run before breakfast.

Breakfast was a colorful masterpiece as per usual.

DSCN0128 (3)

Last night I made a quick breakfast cookie to enjoy this morning. Before I went to bed I mixed together

I flattened it on a plate and then put it in the fridge over night.

This morning I topped it with 1/2 of this container of Pina Colada Coconut Milk Yogurt.

DSCN0126 (1)

I enjoyed the flavor of this one, but I still think the Coconut Milk Yogurts are too sweet for my palette. There were again too many grams of sugar on the label for my liking, but it was great that it covered my breakfast cookie like icing.

I chopped some Strawberries to sprinkle over the ‘icing.’

DSCN0129 (4)

During my run I was really craving an Orange, so I cut one up on the side.

DSCN0131 (6)

The orange was nice and refreshing. It was so juicy I felt like I was drinking a nice tall glass of OJ as I was eating it.

Today is my last day of work in the office for the week. Yay! I guess that means its time to get busy, busy!

Do you travel a lot for work? How do you balance healthy living while traveling?

1 Allison May 12, 2009 at 7:46 am

LOL – I have no idea why, but your title just has me in stiches! 🙂 But sorry you ate a bug! I love breakfast this morning, SO colorful! I don’t travel much (used to) – I like being able to go home every night!

2 eatinnyc May 12, 2009 at 7:47 am

Omg that is very bizarre. I ate a bug too this morning! But not only did I eat a bug (because unfortunately it is not that uncommon during running…!) I perseverated on it for about 10 minutes during my run trying to imagine how many bugs I have consumed in this 1.5 years I have been running outside now! HILARIOUS! Your running is so incredibly inspiring…I love your blog 🙂
sara

3 brandi May 12, 2009 at 8:01 am

ooh, i hate when bugs fly in my mouth while running! never fun, but you just have to keep going.

I don’t travel much for work, but I wish I did!

4 Nicole May 12, 2009 at 8:04 am

Hey Meghann
I traveled a lot for my last job and I packed food with me all the time. What hurt me the most was changing time zones, especially going out west (like you experienced going to Cali.) I brought Clif bars and Kashi instant oatmeal so I would always have something healthy for breakfast, I packed granola, and I made sure to get fruit from the hotel cafe every morning to eat with my oats. I always ordered as healthy as I could off the menus (you know how hard that can be!) The only meal I could really control was breakfast so I made sure to make that my own….with healthy snacks in between…and oh, I didn’t order a drink at dinner every night either…that was hard but it catches up to you after a while!
Also I was fortunate enough to always have a hotel with a gym available, so I made sure to use it every morning.
Traveling is fun, even though it’s hard on the body…enjoy your last day in the office for the week!

5 Betsy May 12, 2009 at 8:23 am

I don’t travel for work, but lately I’ve been traveling for lots of family events and things… I always try to pack food to eat on the road/in the air (in lieu of fast food), and then make good choices at restaurants. But the inevitable indulgence does occur… so I always try to work in some exercise too.

6 Quinn May 12, 2009 at 8:25 am

At my old job I traveled a ton for work. I would always make sure to use the hotel gym, be very specific with my orders at restaurants (no butter, no oil, dressing on the side, that sort of thing), and make sure that I was enjoying the new city I found myself in! That meant a LOT of walking!

7 Kristin May 12, 2009 at 8:35 am

OMG I hate it when bugs fly in my mouth when I’m running! Last summer I swear to you I swallowed one that was 1/2 in diameter…it was disgusting. I traveled a lot for my first job out of college and didn’t eat so healthfully…I gained 5 pounds right away! I’d like to think that if I had to travel for my job now, I’d make better decisions though. It’s really all about making a conscious effort to eat healthy and choosing not to eat crap when you’re out to eat everyday!

8 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 12, 2009 at 8:36 am

Great looking breakfast! 🙂
I’ve eaten many bugs in my lifetime too. Yummy! haha kidding

I don’t travel a lot for work but when I do I find it really tough to maintain a healthy balance because we literally work around the clock. There is absolutely no time to work out, that’s for sure. Meals are usually eaten when you have a few seconds. I do try and choose healthy options but when I don’t have time to go pick and choose, I am sometimes stuck with what is there. Even with planning in advance, I find it hard.
I am so glad I’ll be a student again!! 🙂

9 Amanda May 12, 2009 at 8:46 am

EEK I hate it when that happens!!!

I don’t travel a ton for work, but it happens every once in a while. In order to stay healthy, I pack smart first! This includes snacks for the plane and hotel room, and breakfast if it isn’t offered. I will usually bring oatmeal, cereal, fruit, baby carrots, etc. I try to eat as healthily as possible, especially during breakfast and lunch. After a work day, people usually congregate and go out to eat, so I try to get a workout in before the day begins. I don’t fret too much about having a nice meal out … it’s all about balance!!

10 Tanya May 12, 2009 at 8:52 am

Yikes! Sorry about the bug. I travel a lot (on and off) and like everyone said, I pack some healthy portable stuff with me. But I also find out where the nearest CVS (and the like) is, cuz they usually have healthier treats. I also stockpile fruit & stuff from the continental breakfasts in hotels, in my room so I can have them when I’m hungry.

11 Meganerd May 12, 2009 at 9:01 am

eeew gross that you ate a bug!! 🙁 close your mouth!! lol

I haven’t ever had a bug fly in my mouth but definitely a few times in my eye. Once my running buddy started freaking out because a BIG bug got stuck under her eyelid b/c she blinked so I had to help her get it out. It was the nastiest thing ever!!

12 Christina May 12, 2009 at 9:03 am

bugs are a delicacy in some countries, just think of it that way – you tried a new food!

13 modhealth May 12, 2009 at 9:10 am

I’ve eaten a lot of bugs too. Its not the most pleasant experience, but you kind of just get used to it. Yum haha.

14 Kimberly May 12, 2009 at 9:27 am

You swallowed a bug without batting an eye — you really ARE hardcore!

I used to travel a lot for work, and always brought a bag filled with portable fruit, nuts, PB sandwiches, and a couple of pop-top soups (like Health Valley) that could be eaten in a pinch. And if I was going to be in town for more than a day or two, I’d Google-map the location of the nearest supermarket, so I’d know where to grab a quick yogurt, salad, etc.

15 Nicole May 12, 2009 at 9:29 am

Mmmmmmmm! Your breakfast looks extra tasty. Perfect pairing with those bugs, I’m sure 😉

16 Yasmin May 12, 2009 at 9:33 am

I’ve heard bugs are a good source of protein 🙂

17 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 12, 2009 at 9:33 am

I wish I traveled for work… but the farthest I get to go is another suburb in the area. I know the difficulty with eating though. My WW leader made some comment about how when traveling for work to not eat any differently than you would on a normal work day at home.

18 Run Sarah May 12, 2009 at 9:38 am

What a lovely bfast cookie! I seen to have bad luck with bugs when running too yuck!

19 Ashley May 12, 2009 at 9:43 am

I used to travel a great deal for work and I had two tricks that worked wonders! I always carried a SIGG water bottle so I could save money on airport waters and just refill it at a water fountain. In addition, I would always carry on either my running shoes or comfy flip flops so I could walk around the airport/power walk during delays or layovers.

20 weight and meditate May 12, 2009 at 9:46 am

I used to travel for work, and being a vegetarian made it hard sometimes. As you know, more often than not the vegetarian choice is pasta or some assortment of veggie sides, often cooked in lots of oil and butter!

21 Matt May 12, 2009 at 9:47 am

Haha I don’t think I’ve ever swallowed a bug while running actually. Maybe they like that Florida humidity?

I need to try that coconut milk yogurt, but I usually just eat plain yogurt because it’s easy to spruce up. I’m not a huge fan of sweet yogurts so I might not like it. Won’t hurt to try it though!

22 Sara May 12, 2009 at 9:53 am

Ha ha, that’s so funny about the bug. Oh well, a little extra protein never hurt anyone. Breakfast looks delish!

23 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) May 12, 2009 at 10:04 am

What a gorgeous breakfast!!! I bet it tasted much better than the bug =)

24 Bec May 12, 2009 at 10:06 am

Eww I know what you mean I get so many bugs in my mouth when on my bike!

25 Becca May 12, 2009 at 10:35 am

That breakfast is like a piece of artwork!

I have been traveling a bit lately for work – and it is SUPER hard to maintain a healthy balance. I always always always bring workout clothes and running shoes – most of the hotels have exercise equipment of some sort (even old, rusty bikes, etc) and I try to get to it before work in the morning. I find that it helps me adjust to the time change quicker if I have the endorphins from exercise helping me out.

Other than that, it’s taking it easy on the company credit card and not over-indulging that make it a bit more healthy for me. Oh, and Subway. Lots of Subway. 🙂

26 ksgoodeats May 12, 2009 at 10:35 am

Haha my dad says the same thing – extra protein 🙂

I do travel a lot for work and it’s hard to keep things healthy. Usually I plan WAY ahead in terms of packing snacks or researching restaurants.

27 Lisa May 12, 2009 at 10:44 am

I do travel for my work and I bring lots of healthy snacks with me. I try to find local restaurants with good options and/or buy groceries if I have a fridge where I’m staying. But to a certain extent, I don’t worry about it too much, I try to get some workouts in, and I look forward to coming home to veggies and whole grains, while still enjoying the travel goodies.

28 Pearl May 12, 2009 at 10:48 am

oh wow you ate a bug? i’m always scared that a bug is going to fly into my eye *sigh*.. don’t ask. 🙂

29 Marissa May 12, 2009 at 11:02 am

I don’t travel for work but it’s interesting to read about all the others that do!

30 Marina May 12, 2009 at 11:32 am

Hi Meghann! I´ve recently started reading your blog, and I really love all of your meal combinations – you are very creative! Have a great trip to San Antonio! I have to travel a ton for work because I work about 70% of the time in a different city and sometimes even country and each weekend travel back to my home. I´m hoping that it will actually calm down pretty soon because it is super stressful for a number of reasons, one being the issue of never knowing when or where I will be eating. Since I usually have to eat out with my work colleagues, I try to do my best by exercising each morning before work. I take running shoes with me and use water bottles as weights when there´s no gym at the hotel. They probably only weigh about a pound each, but I guess it´s better than nothing. I also bake “healthier” cookies to take with me so that I have a snack when everyone digs into the junk food on the late nights. It seems you did a great job when you went on your last trip! I´m sure you´ll do great in San Antonio!

31 Leah May 12, 2009 at 11:52 am

I’ve eaten a bug before!! It was so gross!

32 Shelby May 12, 2009 at 12:43 pm

GAHHH! Eating bugs?! I hate the thought of it =/

Lovely b-fast cookie!

33 Sharon May 12, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Hahaha, try getting bugs fly into your eyeball while on the bike. Very icky yucky.

34 Melissa S. May 12, 2009 at 2:30 pm

i totally eat bugs all the time. mom says the same thing, “just a bit of extra protein.” but then she says, “that no longer makes you a vegetarian. hah.”

and no run today, want to get better to runnnnn pronto!

35 Kath May 13, 2009 at 9:06 pm

AWWWWW GAHHHH!! I have bugs go in my nose sometimes and I never know if I snort them back out or they go in!