Eating up the Freezer

by Meghann on May 11, 2009

I postponed going to the grocery store this week since I am leaving early Wednesday morning for the remainder of the week. Having no grocery store run to help me start the week off is sad because I don’t have the bountiful amount of veggies that is usually flowing from my fridge, BUT it does force me to eat up my freezer and become very creative with me meals.

I have a creative meal planned for dinner, but lunch was a freezer find.

DSCN0109

This serving of Kath’s Nutty Vanilla Sweet Potato & Kale Soup is from a pot I made on April 13th. (Don’t you just love having a blog to reference check how long something has been in the freezer?)

With the soup I made a small sandwich using the last two slices of my Publix Multi-Grain bread, the last of my Brie from my Long Beach Gift Basket and some Spinach.

DSCN0110

I think all together it was a very satisfying, wonderful meal considering the lack of fresh fruit and veggies I have in the apartment.

DSCN0108

The Saltwater Taffy was staring at me as I was putting the dishes in the sink.

DSCN0111

Good thing there isn’t too many of these left, they’ve made me pretty taffy crazy. 🙂

This morning I snacked on a Dried piece of Mango and Pineapple with a small nut mix of Peanuts and Awesome Almonds.

DSCN0107

Gotta love that sweet & savory mix!

San Diego Update…

If anyone in the San Diego area is interested in meeting up on Friday, May 29th for dinner please let me know! Bobbi from nHerShoes and I are thinking it would be fun to try out a place in Little Italy for a little carb loading and chit chatting. Just send me an e-mail to graduatemeghann@gmail.com

1 brandi May 11, 2009 at 12:41 pm

great lunch! i love being able to put together a great meal of stuff you already have.

2 avalpone May 11, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I loved dried mango and pineapple; I usually spread my almond butter on these fruit slices and sandwich them together … it’s delish..
Have a great day.

Best,

The Healthy Apple

3 runeatrepeat May 11, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I’m making myself eat a frozen meal I’ve had in the work freezer forever today for lunch. Too bad my meal is just a generic frozen one though!

4 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 11, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Great idea! I should use up the stuff in my freezer too!
Your lunch looks really good! A very hearty soup for sure!

5 Jess May 11, 2009 at 1:36 pm

MMM! I wish I had brie for lunch!! Jealous!! Nice resourceful lunch!!

6 Marissa May 11, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Little Italy – I’m jealous!

7 Lauren May 11, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I made Kath’s soup a while ago, and must make it again soon. So good! Your sandwich looks yummy also – I looooove me some brie. In fact, I had an omelet with brie (and apples) in it over the weekend at a cafe – and it was awesome!

8 Hallie May 11, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I did the “eat up the freezer” thing before we got tented for termites…and then came home to nearly everything GONE since we didn’t seal up our stuff properly…so it’s like the termite guys cleaned up for us, but in a really sad way (due to the waste of food AND money). Now our freezer/fridge is stocked again so all is right with the world.

Little Italy would be fun! I’ve heard of some great restaurants down there (including this really cute Italian specialty/grocery store I’ve been dying it hit up) but for some reason I never go down there…just don’t think of it, I guess. Or maybe cuz I tend to crave Mexican or Thai food more than Italian 😉

9 Pearl May 11, 2009 at 3:02 pm

taffy mm 🙂

10 Shelby May 11, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I’ve been wanting to make that soup, haven’t gotten around to it yet but I’m planning on it.

Love sweet/salty combos. Delish!

11 Julie May 11, 2009 at 3:33 pm

pleasseee stop posting salt water taffy!! hahaha just kidding it makes me drool every time i read about it 🙂 i loveeee swt 🙂

12 Run Sarah May 11, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Your lunch looks awesome! That soup looks nice and hearty too, I’m not a fan of overly watery soups.

13 Melissa S. May 11, 2009 at 3:44 pm

bah! wish i could go to SD!

and i tried calling again. so not only is your phone screen backwards, but it hates my calls. haha.

14 Holly P May 11, 2009 at 3:49 pm

How do you always manage to stop after one piece of taffy??

15 RunToFinish May 11, 2009 at 4:13 pm

as part of my simple life challenge, I wasn’t allowed to buy anything but fruits and veggies this week… HAVE to use all my cabinet stuff and be creative!

16 RunToFinish May 11, 2009 at 4:14 pm

oh and SD we are doing a blogger meeting up on Saturday May 30th in the afternoon for all those who are running… if you guys are interested in that. there are quite a few of us

17 Kristi @ Sweet Cheeks May 11, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I love that soup! Sooo good.

San Diego sounds fun…we are looking at planning a triop there probably in June. I will be interested in seeing what all you do while you’re there!!

18 ksgoodeats May 11, 2009 at 4:43 pm

For a freezer meal, that looks pretty tasty!!

19 Trish (girlatgym) May 11, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Lunch looks good! I wish I had that in my freezer. It’s so nice when you have a wonderful meal all prepped and ready to go.

20 Matt May 11, 2009 at 5:35 pm
21 Susan May 11, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Haha, I use my blog to refer back to things all the time. Comes in handy!!!

22 Adi (oatonomy.com) May 11, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I definitely need to dig around my freezer and see what’s back there… I’m kind of scared though!
Great creativity! Supper looks delish.

23 LisaM May 12, 2009 at 2:31 am

Little Italy is nice, but it is only about 2 main blocks with some very expensive and often crowded restaurants. There is an amazing vietnamese place in hillcrest (the uptown part of san diego) that has amazing, rather light food. I actually went there before a race and was able to get brown rice and noodles, etc. It is also close to trader joes and golden spoon frozen yogurt…