Green Monster Perfection

by Meghann on May 6, 2009

Taking a cue from my Dad’s Facebook Status I am going to wish everyone a Happy Hump Day! 🙂

Since Wednesday are a good halfway point through out the week I like to dedicate it my speedwork day. This morning I jumped on the treadmill and did intervals of 7.0, 7.5 and 8.0. It was a good 30 minute sweat session that required a good stretch afterwards.

After my great Margarita Success last night, I was excited to put my new Breville Die-Cast Hemisphere Blender to the Green Monster Test.

DSCN0311 (2)

The blender comes specially equipped with a smoothie setting that has an automatic 1 minute shut off after it blends and pulses the smoothie to perfection

DSCN0327

In the blender I had

DSCN0316

This was my first experiment with Coconut Milk.

DSCN0312 (3)

I was sent three different flavors and fully intend to do a taste comparison full review, but I thought it would make the perfect addition to my smoothie this  morning. It added a nice creamy texture to it without any coconut flavoring from what I could taste.

The Pineapple Powder was also a new smoothie addition.

DSCN0313

Pineapple Powder by Just Tomatoes is ground dried pineapple and is great for smoothies. It gave the pineapple flavoring needed with out having to keep fresh or frozen pineapple in my house.

I was very happy with the smoothie results.

DSCN0325

Since I can’t have bananas I usually end up adding strawberries to my green monster smoothies which has them looking more like poop. The mango and pineapple powder allowed the spinach to remain this beautiful vibrant green color, yet remain just as delicious as before. We have a winner here with this one folks!

With the smoothie I also had one of Melissa’s Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Date Muffins.

DSCN0322

After a few seconds in the microwave it was perfection.

DSCN0321

The perfect summer time breakfast… the forecast has our temps in the 90s all week. Yikes!

Who watched Biggest Loser last night? What are your thoughts on their marathon running?

I have to admit I was scared when I saw they only had 30 days to train for it, but then I started thinking about all the running they probably did during the show that was never filmed and they were probably secretly building them up for one. I was sad they didn’t film more of the nutrition aspects of the marathon or how they really felt afterwards. And even I have to admit that my eyes got teary when Ron crossed the finish line.

1 Jen May 6, 2009 at 7:51 am

That blender looks deadly! I want one!! 😀

2 katiek436 May 6, 2009 at 8:02 am

I really liked last nights episode! I was proud of Ron for finishing, mentally that was a tough challenge- it was also inspiring and made me reconsider my personal self doubts about ever being able to finish a marathon!

3 Quinn May 6, 2009 at 8:04 am

I think they were definitely secretly building them up for one. At the end when they went back to their original interviews – they were asked about them doing a marathon – and then halfway through the competition, they did a half marathon. I was so happy that they ALL did it though!

4 Julie May 6, 2009 at 8:15 am

Ughhh TBL was SO good 🙂 I even looked over and my Mom was shedding a tear! Lovin that blender 🙂

5 Susan May 6, 2009 at 8:16 am

I was definitely not impressed when they announced they’d be doing a marathon, just because I don’t want anyone thinking they can just up and decide to do 26 miles in a month! But you’re probably right, I bet they’ve been secretly making sure they’re in good enough shape to at least walk it for the duration of the show. You can kind of tell because the producers asked them their thoughts on marathons back when they first started the show.

Those muffins look delish!!!

6 Shannon May 6, 2009 at 8:23 am

Mmm. Looks Delish.

Question? Are you allergic to bananas?

7 brandi May 6, 2009 at 8:24 am

beautiful green pina colada! the blender looks like a serious machine 🙂

ah, I forgot to watch BL last night! I wanted to catch that one.

8 Island Girl Eats May 6, 2009 at 8:25 am

I just wrote about The Biggest Loser on my blog http://islandgirleats.blogspot.com. I am not a Ron fan, but I shed a tear as he crossed the finished line. He did an amazing job.

I am sure that they have been running a lot and building them up with the thoughts of doing a marathon. There is no way that they could have surprised them with a marathon if they had not been building up for it. It has inspired me to do one in December. I half been doing half marathons for the past few years. If Ron can do it, so can I!!

9 verbalriot May 6, 2009 at 8:28 am

nice smoothie! That’s a monster I’d like in my life 🙂

10 Mica May 6, 2009 at 8:31 am

Great breakfast! Stay cool this week, lady.

11 weight and meditate May 6, 2009 at 8:34 am

Ahhh! I was in tears when Ron finished the marathon, too! My thoughts on it were that the producers of the show were nuts – that is SUCH a huge phsyical strain! Obviously it took them quite a while too finish and they’ve been vigorously training for the past four months anyways, but still…

I was proud of all of them for finishing, though!

12 Amanda May 6, 2009 at 8:42 am

I thought that BL was really inspiring! I have ran a half-marathon and kindof always thought that a marathon would be too much. As someone who has always been in good shape, I watched last night’s episode and thought “If they can do it, so can I!” Maybe I’ll reconsider…

13 Paula May 6, 2009 at 8:50 am

I cried when they all finished! Me=sap

Didn’t Ali from a couple of seasons ago look fabulous?

14 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 6, 2009 at 8:50 am

What a great looking breakfast! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of that Breville Blender! Kitchen appliances always get me excited! I would love one of those!
Between this morning’s post and last night’s on your Cinco de Mayo party at work, the Blender works really well!

I didn’t watch the Biggest Loser last night but it is on my PVR and I plan to watch it soon 🙂

15 Nancy May 6, 2009 at 8:56 am

Good morning, Meghann! I also shed a tear last night! I posted this yesterday and waited all day to get a reply, I can’t wait to hear what u have to say but I guess u didn’t see it so I’m posting it again…

Hi Meghann!

I’ve been meaning on asking you something- I know you are a lover of running and I also know it helped you shed 30 pounds! I really admire your drive and dedication! I have a question for you..

I also love running because of how much it has helped me lose weight. When I used to see people running for miles at a time it used to overwhelm me because I need walking breaks every so often because it would literally hurt my legs and chest. A stretch and walking break always helped me keep moving. Well, I’ve noticed now that I’ve kept up with it more consistantly, I am also able to run without stopping and it doesn’t hurt (Thank God- knock on wood!) I’m so thankful and this has actually made me look forward to my runs more because i KNOW i can do it and ENJOY it at the same time. I always enjoyed it because of how it made me feel afterwards, but now I enjoy how I feel DURING the run. I know I might sound cheesy, but it really makes me happy and thankful that I’ve come this far. Was it always easy for you? Is this something normal to experience- that as you lose weight and do it more often, the running becomes easier? I know you’ve experienced falling in love with running and losing weight, also so that’s why I wanted to hear your side of the story. I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much for sharing your story and inspiring many!

<3 Nancy

16 Brittney May 6, 2009 at 9:01 am

I wish I watched the Biggest Loser. I’ve always wanted to but it seems like I never have to time or forget about it. It seems like it would be a really good show!

17 Jenn May 6, 2009 at 9:35 am

I really need to get a new blender/smoothie maker. Too bad that one’s so expensive!

18 runsarah May 6, 2009 at 9:35 am

I watched Biggest Loser and was so interested to see their struggles at home that I think everyone can relate to to some extent. I think they did do a lot of running on the show to help prep them.

19 tlconrad May 6, 2009 at 9:42 am

I was watching the biggest loser last night and I thought there was no way they would be able to run a marathon training for only 30 days… I was very impressed that tara and helen ran the entire thing and that ron finished it. I think mike was upset he couldnt run it. the whole thing brought a tear to my eye and it was very emotional.

20 janetha May 6, 2009 at 9:43 am

that smoothie looks bomb. i have just tomatoes products here but have never seen the pineapple powder, i often buy the blueberries. i will have to see if i can find the pineapple!

i am staying at my mom’s right now and she has that exact blender! i LOVE it! and what i love more is that when she got it, she gave me her vitamix haha.

interesting addition with the coconut milk, did it make the smoothie taste like a pinacolada?

21 leslie May 6, 2009 at 9:48 am

I love Biggest Loser! I did 2 posts about it today. Check it out:

Also, i love your smoothie combo. I am going to have to try that one out! That blender looks awesome too!

22 Melissa (fitnessnyc) May 6, 2009 at 9:49 am

wow that looks so amazingly think and creamy. way to brave the milk. I really love unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

23 Stacey May 6, 2009 at 9:51 am

Ugh, I hate that I missed Biggest Loser last night!! The only episode out of the whole season that I miss!! Arg. Ron crossed the finished line? Woot woot go Ron! I wonder who came first??

24 raspberryrunner May 6, 2009 at 10:02 am

i don’t watch the biggest loser, but the idea of training for a marathon in thirty days is absurd! that doesn’t sound like a healthy thing to do…

your version of the green monster looks delicious!! i want to find some of that coconut milk! you’ve probably said this on the blog before, but i guess i missed it and i’m really curious….why can’t you have bananas?

25 Jennifer May 6, 2009 at 10:05 am

I haven’t finished the Biggest Loser, it is still on my DVR but when I saw they were running a marathon I was shocked, but I am sure they have been running tons at the gym before that as well, They probably secretly knew about the half and the full because only 30 days is crazy

26 Hangry Pants May 6, 2009 at 10:15 am

The Breville sounds awesome. Do you think you’ll buy one when you have to give it back (I think you said you have to, right?)

I will say I was a little shocked when they were just running a marathon randomly. Even if they were training all along, to the average viewer it seemed like a decision made on a whim without any real training or attention to diet, which is not how someone should properly do a marathon. That said, I thought they did awesome and it was super inspiring. I contemplated for one minute doing one myself.

27 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 6, 2009 at 10:18 am

I am beyond jealous of that blender. I’ve wanted one ever since I saw it on the Food Network about 2 years ago… well, whatever that model was… The smoothie looks AMAZING!

28 modhealth May 6, 2009 at 10:21 am

I thought the Biggest Loser marathon was so inspiring! Tara is SUCH a badass 🙂

29 ~carolyn~ May 6, 2009 at 10:24 am

Hmmm, I love that the blender has a smoothie option.

I was very inspired by TBL last night. I know there is so much we do not see that goes on behind the scenes, so I think they were somewhat prepared. I did cry when Ron finished esp. with his son waiting for him and tears running down his face!

I was inspired since I have decided to do a 1/2 marathon this July. I admit that once they started coming across the finish line I whipped out the old pace calculator to figure out what their per minute mile was…I felt like, hey, I could do that. But, I will get through the 1/2 first!

Good luck on your upcoming marathon…it is quickly approaching!! I think you are more than ready!

30 andrea. May 6, 2009 at 10:24 am

I watch BL all the time, and they’ve mentioned on at least a couple of occassions how much running they do every day … I’m pretty sure at least Tara and Mike were both running about ten miles every morning, before they even get to the gym. What stresses me out is that a couple of weeks ago, one of the contestants (laura) had to go home with a hip fracture, probably caused by all the running, and Mike now has a hip injury as well?? It does seem like maybe the contestants were pushed too hard, or pushed beyond what their bodies were ready for.

PS: I really hoped you were going to take a cue from yesterday and add a cup of tequila to your smoothie today! 😉 Oh well, maybe that’s more of a weekend beverage!

31 Jordan May 6, 2009 at 10:50 am

I wish I could try it too haha. I’ve been in the market for a new blender & I’m torn between a few, but the VitaMix is winning so far in my book =]

32 HelpMeghanRun May 6, 2009 at 10:58 am

I have never watched the Biggest Loser, but I have seen the last few episodes. I also thought they were crazy for having the contestants run a marathon in a month, but I agree with everyone else that they were probably more prepared than we could see. And yes, I totally cried when they finished. 🙂

33 Pearl May 6, 2009 at 11:29 am

i love the green smoothie!

34 Lauren May 6, 2009 at 11:51 am

I really enjoyed last night’s episode of the Biggest Loser! Seeing all of the contestants in the gym at the ranch gets a little old after awhile, so I really liked being able to see each of them at home in their own elements. I also thought it was insane that they had to run a marathon, especially because they only had thirty days to train. I know that the contestants had been running on the treadmill every single day at the ranch, but I just felt that running a marathon was a very intense challenge. There was one point in the episode where Jillian said that she hadn’t even ever run a marathon before. On the other hand, I thought that the way the marathon was set up was very symbolic. I loved how it went all through California and ended on the coast. I loved even more how various people ran with the contestants at different times. When Tara, Helen, and Mike crossed the finish line, I definitely had tears running down my face. But when Ron crossed the finish line, I completely lost it. I think one of the things that made me so emotion though the episode was Mike’s brother/Ron’s son, Max. I love how Jillian and Bob are so determined to help Max, and I appreciated Bob’s thoughtful comment about how Max is truly part of the the Brown Team. I am really looking forward to the finale next Tuesday!

On a side note: Meghann, I am so excited for you about getting to try out this new blender! You smoothie looked so delicious this morning. You deserve nothing but the best opportunities to come your way! Keep up the great work!

35 Beverly May 6, 2009 at 11:52 am

I love The Biggest Loser, but I was actually a little upset that they had them run a marathon. As some of the other comments here said, they made it look like they did it on a whim. I know they have been running as part of their exercise, but I was never under the impression that running was the foundation of it. I don’t know, just something about it upset me.

36 runnerskitchen May 6, 2009 at 11:57 am

The green monster looks delicious! I didn’t watch the Biggest Loser last night, but I don’t agree with only days of marathon training…I trained for both of my marathons for 16 + weeks and they were still two of the most difficult physical experiences of my life. Running a marathon (or any long distance race) really takes a toll on your body and I don’t think NBC should portray it as something that you can just decide to do on a whim…Running 26.2 miles is a very strenuous endeavor, even for someone who is well-trained. Just my two cents!

37 Ally May 6, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Oh my gosh, I totally cried when Ron finished…I’m such a sucker for cheesy TV moments!

38 Lauren May 6, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Glad to know I’m not the only one who was teary-eyed while watching The Biggest Loser!

39 Danielle May 6, 2009 at 12:21 pm

That green monster looks great, I always add berries to mine so they are never really green.
Have a great day!

40 Meganerd May 6, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I feel inspired that these contestants can do a marathon. Even tho the show made it seem like the contestants ran on a whim, they have been working out for 17 weeks… I’m sure with the docs and the trainers they wouldn’t be totally clueless when it came to safety.

Did anyone notice that these contestants were starting to show some eating disorder tendencies?

41 runningwithin May 6, 2009 at 12:51 pm

That pineapple powder looks very interesting! What are the nutritional stats for it?

I don’t watch the BL (cuz I don’t have cable) but I don’t like that they portrayed running a marathon as something that you can do on a whim. I’m worried that may lead some viewers to thinking they can do the same and injuring themselves and I think it takes away from how strenous a marathon really is.

42 Shelby May 6, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I can’t have bananas either and so my smoothies always turn brown too! haha I will have to try this method =)

43 gina (fitnessista) May 6, 2009 at 1:06 pm

i was crying like a little baby at last night’s episode!
i think the whole marathon thing was a terrible idea but the fact that so many of them accomplished it was incredible.
i LOVED how they filmed the contestants messages to themselves before they started losing weight… goosebumps city
have a great day!

44 ksgoodeats May 6, 2009 at 1:33 pm

That pineapple powder sounds like a fantastic addition to a shake! YUM! By the way, that blender means business, I like!

45 Lindsay May 6, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Quick question, I see that you are only testing the blender… does that mean that the company wants you to return it after you get done with the week??? Or r u going to have to buy it??
Well the smoothies looks absolutely delicious and I hope that you have a great day and keep trucking on ur goal of running the entire marathon!!

46 Erin May 7, 2009 at 12:55 am

Your green monster looks so thick and creamy. Mine are always so liquidy. Will you make me one please? Thank Meghann, see you tomorrow morning in my kitch!

{ 1 trackback }