My Morning Routine

by Meghann on May 5, 2009

Yesterday I had quite a bit of comments quizzing me on my morning routine, so I thought today I would walk you through step by step how I am able to get up, work out, shower, eat and make it to work at 8:00 am every morning.

5:30 – Alarm goes food, take Abbie outside and have ½ Cliff Z-Bar

• (The Z-Bar is part of my weekday routine, however I never blog about it because it’s repetitive and boring. If I have a more significant snack I always make sure to document it)

5:40 – Get dressed and load up with running gear

5:45 – Head out the door for ….. miles run or stay inside for work out

• This morning was a 5 mile run that I completed in enough time to do Polly’s Yoga for Upper Thighs as well.

6:45 – Return to apartment and jump in the shower

6:55 – Turn on the news and check e-mail

7:05 – Blow Dry Hair

• I seriously just flip my hair over and go at it with the blow dryer. I know it’s not the healthiest thing for my hair, but it is quick and easy.

7:10 – Pick out clothes for the day/ Get Dressed

7:15 – Straighten Hair, accessorize, deodorize

7:20 – Make breakfast

• This morning I had a bowl of cereal that included 1/2 cup Meghann’s Running Mix, 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter Pows, 1/4 cup Pumpkin Granola, Strawberries, Blueberries and Non-Fat Vanilla yogurt.

DSCN0257 (2)

7:25 – Photograph breakfast, eat in front of tv while simutamlously checking blogs and watching the news.

7:35 – Clean up, pack snacks for the day

7:45 – Head out the door

8:00 – Arrive at work and start my day

Some key points on why my morning routine seems really fast:

• I am a morning person and have no problem jumping out of bed as soon as my alarm goes off
  • I don’t wear make up to work
  • My work place is relatively casual
  • I pick out my work out clothes the night before
  • I take really quick showers
  • I honestly don’t care what my hair looks like at work
  • I don’t drink coffee

I literally have my routine down to the minute and know what step I should be on at what time. However, sometimes I am running a little early while other times it’s a little late. This is just the routine that works best for me.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

1 Amy C. May 5, 2009 at 7:39 am

I want to get back into working out in the morning so it’s great to see your routine. I’m going to modify it and give it a shot! 🙂

2 Meganerd May 5, 2009 at 7:40 am

You run at 5:45 am? isn’t it still dark outside? How do you make sure you are safe?? Just wondering because I always have to wait until later on to run because I’m scared of the dark. lol I mean running in the dark.

3 Meghann May 5, 2009 at 9:58 am

Hi Megan!

Safety is very important to me and a subject I have addressed on this blog many times. The routes I run in the morning to me are very familiar and come with sidewalks and feelow joggers. I do not run the same path every day as you don’t want to seem predictable. I also wear reflective tape and carry mace. I never listen to my ipod to loudly and am always fully aware of my surroundings. In case something does happen my RoadID has all the vital information on it so someone can be contacted ASAP.

4 Mark August 22, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Is there a plan for a man to have a running routine or any advice for the man that wants to start running? I recently quit smoking and think running is a good idea. There is a jogging path right outside my front door and I see joggers running all the time. I imagine since I’m 56 years old, running will be a good idea. Any advice is appreciated, thanks. Mark

5 coco May 5, 2009 at 7:44 am

great fast pace routine!!! 🙂

6 Julie May 5, 2009 at 7:49 am

what an awesome routine 🙂 you’re lucky youre a quick shower taker!

7 eatinnyc May 5, 2009 at 7:51 am

So similar to my routine! Too bad my hair takes 8 millions years to blow dry/straighten and it was raining out this morning 🙁 generally in the spring/summer I do the same thing. Great routine!
xoxo
s

8 Jaime May 5, 2009 at 7:53 am

Ha…I work at home and I am not as efficient as you!! I don’t even have to get dressed if I don’t want to and I’m still usually “late” getting to work.

My hair would never allow me your schedule anyway. I have to blowdry it properly….15 minutes…then style…another 10. Blech.

9 Allison May 5, 2009 at 8:01 am

Kudos to you girlfriend! I need coffee, and am slow as a snail in the shower 🙂

10 Stephanie May 5, 2009 at 8:04 am

I think another key point– it only takes you 15 minutes to get to work! For many of us, the commute eats up a lot of the morning 🙁

11 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 5, 2009 at 8:07 am

I love your routine! I keep things simple like you too- I often don’t wear makeup and my hair is naturally curly and does what it wants on the best of days AND I take super quick showers. I also chow down on my breakfast at work- I have dishes and cutlery here at work 🙂 I really want to start running in the mornings before work! I contemplated getting up at 5:30am this morning to run but my body was not having it! I just ran a half on the weekend and I had a fun-filled jam packed weekend in another city so I was too tired to get up that early. I will definitely try it soon though because the weather is finally warming up and it is light out first thing in the morning!

Also- great looking breakfast! Yum!

12 lelisec May 5, 2009 at 8:12 am

15 minutes to get to work is great… although I work from home now, it used to take me upwards of 1.5 hours to get to work via public transportation. such wasted time!

13 tami May 5, 2009 at 8:22 am

i am a morning person as well and i love it! i get up at 435am Monday – Friday and get to the gym or the track lately

14 UVAJess May 5, 2009 at 8:28 am

Damn girl!! You are the picture of efficiency!! So impressed!!

15 brandi May 5, 2009 at 8:30 am

glad you had a good run last night!

I would love to run in the morning more often – we usually try to in the summer when it’s lighter earlier. Otherwise, it’s not smart here since we don’t have sidewalks for most of where we run or street lights on big sections.

that’s nice you live so close to work! 30 minute drive is not fun 🙂

16 Bec May 5, 2009 at 8:33 am

Love this thanks for the insight into your morning life!

17 Quinn May 5, 2009 at 8:44 am

I am a morning person too! But, I used to work in a more casual office where I had less interaction with clients so I literally could wear jeans or sweats to the office – it was glorious. Three years later I spend an insane amount of time on my hair, wardrobe and face. Seriously, get me out of Corporate America!

18 Courtney May 5, 2009 at 8:46 am

Uhhhhmazing.

Accessorize, deodorize …

If ya wanna shave off some more time? Wash your hair at night, or if it’s thick and it looks like it is, you can get away with not washing it, but straighten it at night and use a showercap in the mañana … 🙂 works like a beezy.

19 TorontoGirloutWest May 5, 2009 at 8:47 am

OOooooo you’re speedy getting ready! I especially like the small amount of time for hair drying! 😉

20 Meg May 5, 2009 at 8:48 am

I am an early person too! Sounds like you have it all organized and down to a routine.

21 musicmaven10 May 5, 2009 at 8:51 am

Glad to see other morning people! I’m not alone!! And AMEN for no makeup to work- why bother?

22 carolinebee May 5, 2009 at 8:55 am

You are such a champ 😀 I need to cut out the makeup, OR coffee (haha ya right!) I don’t know if i could handle a cold climate b/c I would stay in the shower forev. I don’t know if you’ve been a morning person your whole life- but I def was NOT in high school, i could sleep til 2! Funny how your habits change once you start getting healthier and stuff 😀

23 Mary Beth May 5, 2009 at 8:59 am

you’re very efficient in the mornings – props to you!

i noticed someone else asked about safety while running in the dark. I’m seconding this question because i, too, have thought about moving my runs to the mornings.

Although I have weighed out the good (running faster cause of the things that go bump in the night) and the bad (those things that go bump in the night!); out of safety I’m leery about running before dawn.

thoughts?

24 rhodeygirl May 5, 2009 at 9:02 am

great post! i love reading about everyone’s schedules. you never snooze? i am SO a morning person, but I often snooze once or twice 🙂

25 Nancy May 5, 2009 at 9:02 am

Hi Meghann!

I’ve been meaning on asking you something- I know you are a lover of running and I also know it helped you shed 30 pounds! I really admire your drive and dedication! I have a question for you..

I also love running because of how much it has helped me lose weight. When I used to see people running for miles at a time it used to overwhelm me because I need walking breaks every so often because it would literally hurt my legs and chest. A stretch and walking break always helped me keep moving. Well, I’ve noticed now that I’ve kept up with it more consistantly, I am also able to run without stopping and it doesn’t hurt (Thank God- knock on wood!) I’m so thankful and this has actually made me look forward to my runs more because i KNOW i can do it and ENJOY it at the same time. I always enjoyed it because of how it made me feel afterwards, but now I enjoy how I feel DURING the run. I know I might sound cheesy, but it really makes me happy and thankful that I’ve come this far. Was it always easy for you? Is this something normal to experience- that as you lose weight and do it more often, the running becomes easier? I know you’ve experienced falling in love with running and losing weight, also so that’s why I wanted to hear your side of the story. I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much for sharing your story and inspiring many!

<3 Nancy

26 Brittney May 5, 2009 at 9:07 am

I wish I could have a morning routine like that. Unfortunately I have naturally curly hair and it looks a lot better when I let it dry naturally, which means that when I get up in the morning and have some place I need to be, it’s pretty much mandatory that I take a shower immediately so that I have time for it to dry. I could just leave with it wet, but I hate leaving the house with wet hair haha.

27 HelpMeghanRun May 5, 2009 at 9:15 am

I like it! 🙂 But I am also curious about running so early…isn’t it dark?

www. HelpMeghanRun .com

28 L.A. Daze May 5, 2009 at 9:16 am

Nice! I have to wear make up to work. My boss used to work in the cosmetics industry for years, and she definitely notices (and makes comments) when I come to work without make up.

The 30-45 minute commute doesn’t help my morning routine either.

29 megan May 5, 2009 at 9:24 am

I’m with you on the no make-up, quick hair, quick shower thing. I also eat breakfast at work, so that saves time. But I only run a max of 3 miles if i run in the morning (won’t run before light), and I also try to build in time for some devotions before heading out the door. i love getting so much accomplished so early! 🙂

30 Lindsay @ Foodrun May 5, 2009 at 9:34 am

I’m a morning person too and have no problem getting up at 5:30, but when I tell anyone else they tell me I’m insane!

31 Sarah May 5, 2009 at 9:35 am

dang that is a fast morning routine! efficient, you go girl.

32 runsarah May 5, 2009 at 9:50 am

Sounds like a fast routine! I should consider running in the am, especially as it’s warming up here.

33 Danielle May 5, 2009 at 9:51 am

I need to make a schedule like this for myself. I want to start working out in the morning maybe if I make a time-line for the mornings I won’t feel so rushed.

34 Danielle May 5, 2009 at 9:51 am

35 Sally May 5, 2009 at 9:54 am

What an efficient routine! Unfortunately it takes me an hour to get to work in the morning. I get off work on the early side though, so I exercise after work and shower in the evening so my morning routine is pretty low-key!

36 ~carolyn~ May 5, 2009 at 10:02 am

We should not be surprised! You have a quick running pace and now you have just confirmed you have a quick morning pace too!

I am up at 3:35 and to the gym for my treadmill running and strength and into work by 6:30 (10 minute commute in the Bay Area…can you believe that!) and I am home and out of the work clothes by 4 pm! So I am with you as far as a morning person…

37 weight and meditate May 5, 2009 at 10:43 am

I’m wondering about how you feel about not having much time to eat breakfast. Do you still get to enjoy it? I find that I rush through eating WAY more than I want to, and breakfast is the one I actually remember to savor.

38 Crunchy Granola Girl May 5, 2009 at 10:45 am

I got tired just reading your routine! I can imagine that not wearing makeup to work or drinking coffee saves a lot of time. Thanks for sharing!

39 Crunchy Granola Girl May 5, 2009 at 10:45 am

I got tired just reading your routine! I can imagine that not wearing makeup to work or drinking coffee saves a lot of time. I’m hoping to start working out in the mornings this summer. Thanks for sharing!

40 Lindsay Y. May 5, 2009 at 10:47 am

Sounds like you have your routine down to an art! I’m very impressed. I’d like to start running in the morning as well, but I’ve never been able to get into it during the winter since it’s just so cold.

Non-related, but I wanted to tell you that I’m loving your blog! I don’t usually comment because I follow you with Google Reader, but I’m trying to get better about saying hello to my favorite bloggers.

41 Sara May 5, 2009 at 10:55 am

Wow, you’re a speedy girl in the morning! I get too distracted in the morning and want to watch the news, play with my puppy, do my makeup a different way, etc. You’ve got a great routine.

42 Marissa May 5, 2009 at 11:02 am

I have my routine down to the minute too 🙂

43 bobbi May 5, 2009 at 11:07 am

Love it, love it, love it!!! This looks a lot like mine this morning, except I dont have to be to work until 10am so thats when I blog, catch up on blogs and meditate:)! Thanks for sharing dear.

44 Jocelyn May 5, 2009 at 11:15 am

girl..5 minutes to straighten ur hair? I solute that! lol

45 Amanda May 5, 2009 at 11:19 am

What time do you normally go to bed?

I’ve been thinking about getting up early to get in a long run during the week and reading your blog has shown me that it can be done!

46 Amanda May 5, 2009 at 11:19 am

What time do you normally go to bed?

47 Rachel May 5, 2009 at 11:21 am

Woo! What a routine. Thanks for sharing this with us. I know that my mornings are actually a factor in holding me BACK from living as healthfully as I can, so it’s nice to see a good example. Inspiration!

48 Christina May 5, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Sounds like a good routine, you’re so lucky to work that close to home!

49 Amanda May 5, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Gahh I am jealous of your discipline! I started running a few mornings a week last fall, but fell out of the routine once it became winter up here. I still get in workouts at night, but it would be awesome to have more nights during the week free to just relax!

50 catruns May 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but when do you have time to blog? I’m still trying to work that in to my routine and it doesn’t always happen as often as I’d like. I’m not a morning person but have to be at work by 7 so generally carrying pictures with me to work gets forgotten. I’m just curious how others handle it. Thanks!

51 Pearl May 5, 2009 at 12:44 pm

love early mornings 🙂

52 greenbean May 5, 2009 at 12:58 pm

i’ve always wondered about your morning routine. its quite impressive! i need to cut down my time by picking out my clothes and packing my lunch the night before.

just curious…do you have a fenced in yard for abbie? walking my dog takes about 20 mins in the morning. i don’t think i could cut that down.

53 Orla May 5, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Clearly my vanity is what stands in the way of me getting extra sleep! 😀 I could never leave the house without a full face of makeup and a blowout. It’s non-negotiable in my job, but I’d never do it anyway.

I worked out that I need to set my alarm like this:

Shower, no hair washing – 1h 15m before I have to walk out the door

Shower, washing hair – 1h 45m before walking out door

Then I add extra if I’m getting up early to run:
15m to get up and out door
10m per mile for run (I’m sloooooow)
5m to stretch

So this morning I got up at 6am, ran 4 miles, and left the house at 8.45am. I’m exhausted just looking at that!

54 Danica May 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Fast routine! I always wondered how you fit in sometimes two workouts. then again I have to remember you run really fast to 😀

Great breakfast!

55 verbalriot May 5, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I barely wear make up, like ever, and get to sleep like 20 more minutes than my roommate…Maybe I should get up and EXERCISE instead! hahah

nice schedule.

56 Elina May 5, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Wow, you’re a speed demon in the morning 🙂

57 Beverly May 5, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Our morning routines are VERY similar. I love being a morning person, and I love morning runs!

58 Amy May 5, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Holy crap, this makes me feel like a lazy bum! (well, i might admit ive been one lately too!)

But i aspire to get a routine down.

It’s true; commuting eats up so much time. It’s the worst!

59 Melissa S. May 5, 2009 at 8:26 pm

dude you’ve got it down to the pin. my morning schedule used to be like that when i was at school and had a 7-3 job…but not anymore!

60 Megan May 5, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Wow!! I am a morning person too but I can not believe how much you get done in the morning! I’m impressed 😀

61 court2032 June 11, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Just started reading your blog and I absolutely adore it! And I love the morning routine, I do the same thing, glad to know i’m not the only 20 something who will honestly wake up that early. I find that working out in the am starts my day off right and definitely have way more energy so I can forgo that coffee and enjoy some tea instead.

62 crossbordercravings July 25, 2009 at 9:34 am

What a busy morning!! I take at least 20 minutes to just wake up! Def not a morning person though… 😛 Maybe one day!

63 Chloe August 23, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Meghann – can I ask what time you go to sleep at night in order to rise at that time? And do you still get up at the same time at the weekends or do you allow yourself to lie in?

Thanks in advance!

64 Blender Benefits November 23, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I’m loving the routine. I did p90x in the beginning of this year and had a great routine waking up at 6, working out, getting ready, and being in the office by 8:30.

Its almost harder now that I work at home for myself. Thanks for the inspiring post!

{ 3 trackbacks }