eBay Bummer

by Meghann on May 4, 2009

Remember the Flip Camcorder I ordered off of eBay last week?

Well I was pleasantly surprised to see it had arrived over the weekend and was looking forward to testing it. However, the little camera arrived with no instructions, no extra cords and was shipped wrapped in a paper towel, with no protective coating.

I tried pressing all the buttons and plugging it in my lap top to see if it would turn on, but no luck. After an hour or so frustration I contacted the seller who was really nice and tried to help, but nothing was working. I left it plugged in, I flicked the power button several times, I googled countless instructions. Still there was zilch response.

Luckily, the seller is very nice and is willing to let me ship it back and will provide a refund once he tests it out for himself. I have already ordered another one from Amazon for only a couple dollars more then I paid on eBay. Hopefuly *fingers crossed* this new one will work.

As this was my first eBay experience, I have to say I was pretty disappointed that what I had purchased did not arrive in working order. However, I have to say I was genuinely satisfied with the great customer service of the seller and still plan to give him high marks once the refund goes through.

How have your experiences with eBay been?

Work this morning was pretty busy, filled with lots of fun make up work.

While shifting through e-mail I snacked on a Trader Joe’s Individually Portioned Trail Mix.

DSCN0234

For lunch I really, really, really wanted a nice big salad full of lots of yummy veggies.

DSCN0237

I got what I wanted. πŸ™‚ In the bowl I had:

• Spinach
  • Tomato
  • Carrot
  • Radishes
  • Grapes
  • Pumpkin Seeds
  • Smoked Tofu
  • Drizzle of Annie’s BBQ Sauce on Top

It was just what I was craving and then some.

DSCN0236

With the salad I also had a Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Date Muffin and Whole Wheat Oatmeal with Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate courtesy of Ms. Melissa from FitnessNYC. πŸ˜‰

DSCN0240

Mmm… I heated them both up in the microwave so they were nice and warm and very moist. Love them!

1 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 4, 2009 at 1:08 pm

That’s too bad about the camera! That would really annoy me as well! At least the seller is being nice about it!

Your salad looks delicious! Sometimes I crave salads like that too. And of course the cookie is a nice finishing touch! πŸ™‚

2 runeatrepeat May 4, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I almost bought one of those Flip Cams from Costco this weekend. I didn’t even think to get one from ebay.

3 Island Girl Eats May 4, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I have looked at ebay a few times but always wonder what I would actually get. I just ordered a Garmin Forerunner 305 from Amazon and I think that it was cheaper there. Glad to hear that the seller is being good to you. You can always report them to ebay if he doesn’t honour his side of the deal.

4 brandi May 4, 2009 at 1:22 pm

I’ve only ever ordered one thing and it wasn’t an electronic thing – it was fine, though. I think most stuff through eBay is fine now, especially since it’s such a big company.

is that the omega trek mix ? I have one of their bigger bags of it – it’s great on oatmeal and yogurt.

5 Marissa May 4, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Sorry about the camera πŸ™

6 Megan May 4, 2009 at 1:25 pm

aw thats too bad about the ebay purchase! I’ve been lucky in that all of the stuff I ordered was just what I was expecting. that’s really awesome that the seller was so nice and offered to help you out though!

the TJ trail mix looks SO good! I haven’t seen the prepackaged bags before but that would be so helpful for me!! Whenever I eat trail mix, I end up eating way more than I would have liked πŸ˜‰

Those cookies look delish by the way!

7 Sara May 4, 2009 at 1:29 pm

That sucks about the camera! I haven’t had any issues with eBay, but I don’t like using it that much. It frustrates me to get outbidded. πŸ™‚ Yummy, lunch.

8 Bec May 4, 2009 at 1:31 pm

that totaly sucks, I’ve had pretty good experiences with ebay. A few times an item never arrived but then pay pal refunded my money so it was fine.

9 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) May 4, 2009 at 1:32 pm

What a bummer. I have sold a few things on eBay and have had a lot of luck but unfortunately when I sold a few LARGE big ticket items (my wakeboard and water skiis) I forgot to calculate shipping. Well, shipping was over 100 dollars so we ended up losing money. We practically paid the people to take our wakeboards. It was SO sad.

10 tami May 4, 2009 at 1:35 pm

my husband loves ebay but he also knows what to watch out for. i am glad to hear the seller is being helpful, sometimes they just say oh well….

11 ~carolyn~ May 4, 2009 at 1:38 pm

I have had very good and not so good ebay experiences. I actually was able to get my money 100% refunded based on fraud! The seller was set up in US but I did notice the item shipped from China. It was a fake Coach bag and I reported it to ebay and they returned my $ and went after the seller..not sure how. I usually limit my purchases to around $50. Honestly, other than a cell phone case or some ipod headphones I would buy any electronics from some place with a warranty.

Sounds like you have a good seller, I hope…not sure why he sent it to you in a paper towel!! The other thing is to really read the descriptions. Sometimes they hide in there that the electronic is refurbished, yet in the title it will say New.

Good Luck with it! Either way, anxious to see what you record during your marathon!

12 Amanda @ Fake Ginger May 4, 2009 at 1:40 pm

That stinks. I’m sorry your first experience went like that. πŸ™ I am quite the pessimist when it comes to Ebay. I usually only order things that cost under $10, like books. My mom though has the best luck. She finds all kinds of handmade kids clothes for my toddler and has never had a bad experience.

I hope your refund goes through with no problems!

13 ksgoodeats May 4, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Aw that sucks! I’ve never ordered anything from eBay just because I’m always afraid that I’ll get ripped off. Plus, I don’t have the patience to bet on things!

LOVE the lunch!

14 Natalie May 4, 2009 at 1:44 pm

That’s really a pain in the butt about the camera but at least you’re dealing with a decent seller. I’m sorry this is your 1st ebay experience. I’ve bought some stuff on ebay and had great luck.. also I was a seller once.. I sold a pair of Madonna tickets I absolutely had to get rid of.. lol the amount of bids received was ridiculous! They went very fast

15 Elisabeth May 4, 2009 at 1:48 pm

I’ve had both good and bad experiences with eBay. I’m actually in the midst of an eBay debacle at the moment. I desperately wanted a VitaMix blender, but who has $600 to buy a new one, right? So, I had the brilliant idea of buying a used one from eBay. I don’t mind used things. I am not opposed to paying less for a used item that I will get a lot more use out of, as opposed to paying full-price for a brand new one.

What I Iearned: My idea of “used” and “working condition” does not necessarily equal another person’s idea of “used” and “working condition”.

The outcome: I returned the “used, working condition” used VitaMix, and bought a new one that was deeply discounted on a VitaMix reseller’s website. I paid $200 more than the used one, but it’s new, and it’ll last ages.

I think that eBay is great, you just have to be cautious about the seller and ask tons of questions before you bid on something. Like…”does the cord have duct tape around it?” lol.

16 Danielle May 4, 2009 at 1:51 pm

So sorry about your problems with Ebay, I’ve used it a few times and have never had any trouble so far.

17 Sharon May 4, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Ebay has been pretty good, at least you had a good seller!

18 Stephanie May 4, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I wouldn’t lose hope for Ebay. I have used it quite a bit to buy “unique” items, and I have had excellent seller experiences. It is somewhat difficult to set-up a seller account – in fact, it was so much of a pain, that I used Amazon.com.

Glad to hear that you ran some hills this past weekend for practice. I am not sure where the TnT run is in San Diego, but there are many hills there…. I am a hiker/walker, but it is remarkable how much faster I can go on level surfaces. I live in a very hilly spot (north of Long Beach), and I cover SO MUCH more territory when I travel. πŸ™‚

19 Joy May 4, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I’m sorry but LOL that it was wrapped in a paper towel haha. But that’s really great the seller is being cooperative and reasonable. salad looks great!

20 Pearl May 4, 2009 at 2:10 pm

aww i’m sorry about the camera! i usually try to avoid buying electronics over a site such as ebay, as i’ve gotten damaged ipods and used phones before.

21 Allison May 4, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Sorry about the ebay experience!!! πŸ™ But at least it sounds like things are working out and moving in the right direction!

22 Victoria May 4, 2009 at 2:22 pm

That is a bummer. I’ve had good experiences on eBay, but also one horrible one, which makes me never want to use it again.

23 weight and meditate May 4, 2009 at 2:44 pm

OMG I want smoked tofu and I’ll take both of those treats, too, please.

24 janetha May 4, 2009 at 2:50 pm

bummer about the ebay bust. hopefully everything goes smooth and it gets sorted out. i am an ebay buyer and seller and have been for about ten years, i have only ran into a few problems, that is too bad you did on your first shot! that salad looks perfect!

25 runsarah May 4, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I love heated up muffins! I have had good experiences so far with eBay, but it is hit and miss at times…luckily Paypal really does protect the seller.

26 Quinn May 4, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Ok, I am a HUGE EBayer. I just bought my Garmin for $142 and buy clothes ALL the time. First, look at the positive feedback of the seller – and how many responses go toward that percentage. That is HUGE.

And if you’re uncertain, email the seller directly for any questions about the product.

Also, be sure to look for the words “new” or “never been used.” If you need any more coaching, I can teach you my ways! Just send me an email!

Tofu looks awesome BTW.

27 Kiki May 4, 2009 at 3:22 pm

yumminess on a plate
i am so jealous of that peanut butter chocolate thingy! xx

28 Mica May 4, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Bummer about the camera. At least the seller hasn’t gone MIA though.

29 redheadyellowdog May 4, 2009 at 3:39 pm

sorry about the camera! at least the guy was nice. I’ve had good luck with my past ebay purchases but I’ve never bought anything used off ebay..it was all new. Maybe that’s the trick. PS that cookie and muffin look sooo good!

30 Courtney May 4, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Damn, that is so lame! I was reading this post while in the library, and I couldn’t help but laugh out loud at the picture you created … It was wrapped in a paper towel! I can’t imagine the look on your face, like … WHAT THE HECK? PAPER TOWEL? Was your seller 95 years old?

I’m sorry, girl. Amazon is 5stars, so this one will work out better for you! :]

Can’t wait to see you in action,

Courtney

31 Sarah May 4, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I about died when you said they shipped it in a paper towel. That is TOO much.
I hope your replacement works out a lot better!

32 Shelby May 4, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Ew a paper towel, how lame! I hope your new one works out much better!

33 elise May 4, 2009 at 6:34 pm

thats my biggest fear (and the reason i avoid) eBay!!! hope everything works out

34 Lori May 4, 2009 at 7:13 pm

I’ve always had really good luck with ebay. That being said, I have never bought any electronics because usually the warranty is void.
Glad the seller is nice and is being reasonable. Just kind of a pain to have to send it back and wait for the one from Amazon.

35 Bridget May 4, 2009 at 8:46 pm

The smoked tofu looks amazing!!

I’ve done a lot of business on eBay and have never had a problem. I got a replacement cell phone on there that was in a perfectly sealed, unopened box–so completely new!

It’s great that he’s being so nice about the camera. Positive feedback can make or break a seller on eBay, so I am glad that you plan to give him a good rating.

36 Karena May 4, 2009 at 8:56 pm

bummer about the camera! paper towels do not mean safe padding! at least it makes for a good story πŸ™‚

i’ve only had good experiences with ebay, but i’ve never bought electronics off of it – i usually browse amazon for those (even the used items). you should definitely give ebay another chance though…and check the number of ratings (not just the percentage). i always figure the higher the number of ratings means a more experienced the seller and a better product in the end. good luck πŸ™‚

37 Susan May 5, 2009 at 9:34 am

Boo on the camera πŸ™ My boyfriend has had tons of successful eBay experiences (he even bought both our bikes on it!) My experiences on the other hand have almost all been duds. I haven’t yet developed an eye for quality sellers/products. I think it just takes a while.