more ยป" />

18 Miles… No Sweat

by Meghann on May 2, 2009

At 5:15 am this morning I filled up my camelback, laced up my shoes, turned up my Ipod and headed out the door in hopes of setting a new personal distance record by smashing through 18 solid miles of hard core running. I felt like a bad ass. ๐Ÿ˜‰

18 miles?!?! I was nervous when I saw that ridiculous number on my training schedule. I knew I was going to be in Tallahassee celebrating my sister’s graduation and not be able to join my Team in Training group the exact date that number appeared. I had two choices: I could skip the training and party it up or I could take this as a new challenge and run 18 miles without missing a beat.

I chose the ladder. Last week I spent some time mapping out an 18 mile run that would have me starting at the hotel where I was staying with my parents and ending up at my sister’s apartment. When a reader e-mailed me and asked if I was up for running 6 miles with her on Saturday I took it as a welcomed opportunity for some company and took her up on the offer. I had a game plan and I was ready to run.

Despite not making it to bed until close to 1:00am the night before I was still surprisingly able to get out of bed at 5:15am. I think the excitement of knowing I was going to set a new PDR today made it worth it.

Even though the hunger was lacking I did have a new Gatorade Peanut Butter Granola Bar to fuel me for the run.

I had stolen this bar from our snack table during the Long Beach conference. I really liked the peanut butter chips that were interspersed in the bar. Very yummy!

I set out from my parent’s hotel room around 5:45am. After four years of school and a year of working in Tallahassee, I know the city like the back of hand. The route I created had me starting near I-10, wrapping around my old apartment off Hartsfield, down Ocala, through Campus, from downtown to Lake Ella, multiple laps around Lake Ella and then back to my Sister’s campus by campus. I was ready for it.

I started running in Tallahassee and would always have to give myself prepared walking breaks. After a couple of miles I remembered why… the HILLS!! I have now conformed myself to be central Florida runner, I am used to roads that are flat as a pancakes so these Tallahassee hills were a new challange. But I managed to push through it. I saw my pace suffer significantly, but I look at it as a good thing. It forced me to slow down and conserve my energy. Plus this was great practice for San Diego as my coaches keep warning me there will be hills.

Besides the hills I felt great for the first part of my run. I took it easy and hit most of the landmarks at the predicted time I thought I would. The weather was perfect, I now if I had started out any later I would have died of heat exhaustion.

I made it to Lake Ella about 15 minutes before I had told Sarah I would meet her there. I took the opportunity to have a quick restroom break and fuel up with 2 Strawberry Clif Shot Bloks.

Sarah and I did 4.5 miles together around Lake Ella. It was really was a great idea meeting up with someone for that mid section of my run. Talking with Sarah was a great distraction and the miles seriously flew by. It’s funny because Sarah is actually lives in Orlando and was in Tallahassee watching her sister graduate as well. Small world.

When my garmin beeped 14 miles I knew I had 4 miles to get to my sister’s apartment, so I said my good byes and was on my way. I also popped in two more Shot Bloks.

I was expecting those final four to be torturous, but they really weren’t bad. The road was almost all downhill so I glided with ease and actually saw my fastest times of the morning. Once I hit 16 miles I had a huge grin on my face as I knew there was only 2 more to go.

The last 2 flew by and once I beeped 18, about 1/2 a mile from my sister’s apartment I started my cool down and began to walk.

I did it!!! I set a new PDR and ran 18 miles!!!! I think I actually shed a tear at this point.

Stats –

Distance: 18 miles

Time: 3:01:34

Avg Pace: 10:05

Avg Heart Rate: 167

Calories Burned: 1768

I got to my sister’s apartment and began to stretch, but began to feel shaky and light headed. My Sister gave me an Orange to eat and I instantly felt better.

When my parent’s arrived we walked to Publix to get breakfast. I started to get lighted headed again so I opened the peanuts and had a handfull.

I was so happy to finally have a big plate of food to eat when we got back.

My Sister and her boyfriend made us Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes. I topped mine with Vanilla Oikos, Strawberries and Mangos. I also had a Sausage patty on the side.

It’s amazing how eating that nice meal full or protein, complex carbs, and simple sugars made all the shakiness and weak feeling I had instantly disappear. I felt great afterwards and ready to tackle the rest of my day.

Oddly enough, the rest of the day was spent packing my Sister’s apartment up.

I tried to help, but instantly discovered running up and down the stairs was not an option after running 18 miles in the AM. I did help pack boxes for them to take

When it was finally time for lunch my family and I had mixed opinions on where to eat, so we compromised and I got what I wanted and vice versa.

I was really craving a Pita Pit Hummus Pita so my parents stopped so I could run and pick one up.

I got the Hummus on a Wheat Pita with Spinach, Tomato, Cucumber, Jalapenos, Feta, Mushrooms, and Red Onions. It was very yummy and just what I was craving.

My family went with Piteria for lunch. I used to LOVE Piteria in college and could go as much as I could, but their food is very greasy and heavy and I just wanted a light, refreshing pita. I did, however, steal a few Pita Fries from my mom.

These things are the best! I mean deep fried Pita Strips… where can you go wrong? ๐Ÿ˜‰

We had to go shopping for new gear for the new Alumnus. My Sister and I can now be twins!

I know everyone says Kelly looks like Caitling ( really I don’t see it) but don’t we look alike just a little?

1 jane May 2, 2009 at 6:45 pm

congrats!! 18 miles, what an accomplishment, you are bad ass status now :)

2 Robin May 2, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Congrats on your 18 miler. I think you two look a lot alike, especially your smiles.

3 HelpMeghanRun May 2, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Wow! 18 miles is amazing. Major congrats to you, you’re going to rock that marathon in May. :)

Check out my blog!

4 jenjenwrites May 2, 2009 at 6:53 pm

congrats on the new PDR.
LOLS i have been noticing for a while that your sister and Caitlin look alike but i thought it was just me.
And yes, you two do look alike in some ways too =]

5 Jennifer May 2, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Congrats on your 18 miles! That is so awesome! I think your sister looks like a mix of you and Caitlin :)

6 Shawna May 2, 2009 at 7:00 pm

18 miles?! That’s AMAZING! Great job!

I never noticed the resemblance between Kelly and Caitlin, but now that you’ve mentioned it I do now. I think you two have the same cheekbones, though :)

7 lilveggiepatch May 2, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Congratulations on your new PDR!!! 18 miles definitely makes you a badass.

You and Kelly do look alike… definitely the same smile. But there’s some Caitlin in the eyes… she’s your love child, I told you!

8 MaryBe May 2, 2009 at 7:11 pm

You two are so cute! Yes, you look a lot alike in the face, but her hair is more like Caitlin’s.
OMG that run!! Crazy! Way to go!

9 BethT May 2, 2009 at 7:31 pm

She does look like Caitlin!! Sorry… :)

WTG on 18.

10 Anna May 2, 2009 at 7:33 pm

It’s a good thing you got some practice with the hills, b/c the San Diego course is very hilly!

11 runsarah May 2, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Congrats, awesome PDR! You two are so cute. I think Kelly’s smile looks like Caitlins!

12 Pearl May 2, 2009 at 7:34 pm

18 miles? woo hoo!

13 FoodsThatFit May 2, 2009 at 7:38 pm

You rock girl!!!! That is an awesome time and I am impressed by your motivation to plan ahead and not miss one of your training runs. It’s the things like that that are going to make San Diego feel like a piece of cake!! Wish I could have run with you :)

14 Jessica (jesslikesithot) May 2, 2009 at 7:41 pm

You are coming to San Diego!?!! That’s where I’m from! :)

Congrats on the 18 miler. You are so inspiring Meghann!

15 karla May 2, 2009 at 7:57 pm

congrats on the run! i’m running my first full marathon in october (luckily not soon) and the thought of running 18 miles is very intimidating! you are such an inspiration!

16 Lindsay May 2, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I actually used to think when I first started reading your blog that the pics with your sister and caitlin… were actually of you, caitlin, and caitlins sister… but there are a few similarities!! :) ~ Also, congratulations on the PDR!! :)

17 getfitslowly May 2, 2009 at 8:00 pm

You do look alike!

Maybe everybody says that your sister looks like Caitlin because you have a similar haircut?

And congrats on the 18 miler :)

18 inmytummy May 2, 2009 at 8:08 pm

I see the Caitlin resemblance. Congrats on the 18 miles! That is quite an accomplishment.

19 Brittney May 2, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Congrats on the 18 miles!

20 Brandi May 2, 2009 at 8:12 pm

congrats on the new PDR – that is awesome!

I think you guys look alike :)

21 lisa May 2, 2009 at 8:23 pm

i never commented, but i just had to, because i think you and i are around the same mileage plan right now. i’m running the LA marathon in may, and did 18+ just 2 weeks ago. i’m going to tackle my first 20+ tomorrow, and i’m NERVOUS!! reading your post got my confidence going again, though. CONGRATS on your PDR!!

22 Sharon May 2, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Wow, look at you go! Awesome!!!

23 amanda May 2, 2009 at 8:29 pm

u guys have the same nose!

24 Adi ( May 2, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Awesome work Meghann! You are working so hard for this marathon! I hope you don’t lose the runner’s high after such a huge accomplishment.

Yup, you two definitely look alike.

25 weight and meditate May 2, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Phew, good for you for sticking to the 18 miler even away from your training team! Your sis does look a little like Caitlin, but I see the resemblence with you, too!

26 Erica May 2, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Oh my gosh- congrats on 18 miles. You are INCREDIBLE! I would have shed a tear for sure. You and your sister are adorable. I LOVE pita pit. I just found out there is one in Charleston. Josh and I plan to hit it up soon!!

27 shepidemic May 2, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Congratulations on your PDR! That’s so inspiring; I’m just starting to train for several races in the next few months, and I’m hoping to really cement a relationship with running that last a lifetime. I would love to run a marathon somewhere like San Diego!

28 shepidemic May 2, 2009 at 9:06 pm

29 shepidemic May 2, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Also, I meant to include this–I’ve been looking for reviews on mid-run fuel, like the Clif shot blocks. What do you think of them? Have you tried anything else? What’s the flavor/texture like?

30 Meghann May 3, 2009 at 5:10 pm

I love the Shot Bloks, but I have heard others give mix reviews. THey sort of melt in your mouth so can stick to your teeth, but as long as you drink water while taking them its fine. I can’t stand to chew while running so these are perfect for me

31 Amy May 2, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Aw CONGRATS on your 18 miler! You are a queen runner, Meghann :) Amazing!

I think your sis looks like your Mom. But you two are adorable. Congrats to the Alumnus !

32 Mica May 2, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Congrats on the PDR, I’m totally impressed!

And congratulations also to your sister! I love all the pictures of your/her weekend.

33 Justy2003 May 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Hmmm, she DOES look like Caitlin! But I also see the resemblance of you!

Awesome job on the 18 miler today! Not much longer til the marathon!!! :)

34 Island Girl Eats May 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Well done on the long run. I know that some of my best long runs have been when I have only had a few hours sleep and not eaten very well the night before and had a few glasses of wine! It’s funny how running can always surprise you!

35 claire May 2, 2009 at 10:11 pm

You can tell that y’all are sisters…but she REALLY does look just like Caitlin. I remember one time there was a picture of y’all and thought she WAS Caitlin. Congrats on your new PDR!

36 caitlin May 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm

ahh im drogging!!

congrats on 18 miles

and i do think kelly and i look alike!!

37 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Congratulations!! You must feel so good about the 18 miles! It is amazing!!

38 Kimberly May 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Congrats on 18 miles! That’s incredible.

Kelly looks EXACTLY like your mom, whereas I think your bone structure is more similar to your dad’s. There’s definitely a family resemblance, though!

39 Emily May 2, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Congrats on the pdr!!!!

40 Sarah May 3, 2009 at 12:14 am

Meghann +18 miles = Pita Pit hummus wrap
Sarah + 18 hours on the couch = Pita Pit hummus wrap

You are a stud with amazing stamina! I am a spud with amazing narcotics. We rock.

41 Nabeela May 3, 2009 at 1:37 am

wow, just wow. 18 miles…………..amazing! Congratulations!

42 Susan May 3, 2009 at 4:51 am

Congrats on the PDR!!! Hope you had fun eating some of those calories back ๐Ÿ˜›

Your sister totally looks like Caitlin, I’ve actually gotten them confused in pictures before!

43 Meg May 3, 2009 at 8:22 am

Way to go with your 18 miles! I am impressed!

44 ksgoodeats May 3, 2009 at 8:27 am

WAY TO GO!! That’s fantastic! Pita fries?! I had no idea they made those at Pita Pit! Maybe that’s a good thing that I didn’t know ๐Ÿ˜‰

45 sarah (ghost world) May 3, 2009 at 8:41 am

congrats on your run!! i DO see the caitlin resemblence. sort of in face shape/smile. but i think she looks a little like you, too!

i have the opposite problem — everyone says my sister and look like twins, but i don’t see it!

46 linds May 3, 2009 at 8:51 am

Your sister does kinda look like Caitlin ๐Ÿ˜‰ And a little like you too!!! Congrats on the 18 miles, you are a serious badass rockstar haha

47 gina (fitnessista) May 3, 2009 at 9:20 am

congrats on the new pdr- thats amazing!!!!

48 Hangry Pants May 3, 2009 at 9:24 am

Awesome run! And now that you mention it, she does resemble Caitlin, but she has blonde hair like you, so there ya go!

49 Amy May 3, 2009 at 9:38 am

I had to laugh at your title-18 miles!?!? Your nuts! I recently took up running after quitting smoking and it’s a big day for me when i can get 3 miles in!

I hope someday i can strive for 18 miles :) I have my first 5k on Mother’s Day…we all have to start somewhere right?

50 Kristine May 3, 2009 at 9:40 am

I never noticed how much Caitlin and Kelly look alike until you just mentioned it and now I can’t get over it! May you are TRIPLETS! :) Congrats on setting a new PDR! AHH you are going to rock out that marathon! :)

51 Stacey May 3, 2009 at 10:00 am

Wow. That is amazing…I am slowly working up my mileage in running and cant wait until I reach that number! Great job :)

52 Erin May 3, 2009 at 10:45 am

Meghann, I’m so impressed with your ability to kick ass.

53 Tess Donohoe May 3, 2009 at 11:47 am

Congrats on the 18 miles…it’s totally amazing…I can’t wait until I can run 4 miles…You are a true inspiration!! You guys look so sisterly in those T-shirts!!!

54 biz319 May 3, 2009 at 11:50 am

Great job on the run! And yes, I’ve always thought your sister looked like Caitlin too – but I never realized other people saw it!

Hope you get LOTS of rest today!!

55 Karena May 3, 2009 at 2:43 pm

awesome job on the 18 miles…alone with hills! definitely bad ass :)

56 runrun May 3, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Awesome job on the 18 miler!!! I love your blog and seeing how you fuel for you runs. Your food is always so creative–love it!

p.s. Just an FYI, it is “latter” not “ladder” :) I used to mix it up all the time!

57 anonymous May 3, 2009 at 3:56 pm

It’s latter, not ladder.

58 kirsten May 3, 2009 at 6:44 pm

you guys do look alike ! kelly’s graduation pictures are so cute :) congrats on your new PR !

59 Leah May 4, 2009 at 7:06 am

I have been looking forward to reading this 18 mile recap!! You are my running motivation….seriously!!!

60 jennylikestorun October 28, 2009 at 6:47 pm

ha, to tell the truth, when I first saw your sister in a photo with Caitlin, I DID think that they were sisters. I thought they looked really alike. lol. Then I read that you two were sisters and started to notice similarities. Congrats on the PR!
That inspires me to go set a new PR now ๐Ÿ˜€