A New Breakfast Cookie

by Meghann on April 29, 2009

I am proud to announce that I somehow managed to win a bid on a Flip Camera last night!! I’m honestly not sure if it was worth all the hassle from the $5 I saved over Amazon, but it felt good to beat the other bidders at the game. 😉

I already have all these ideas of what I want to record for my marathon weekend! Now I just have to find a spy belt or something equivalent so I can carry the camera during the race. Anyone have any suggestions?

All I could think about during my 6 mile run this morning was my upcoming marathon. I fly out of Orlando exactly 1 month from today!! Yay!!!

I cam home from my run to a wonderful delish breakfast cookie waiting for me in the fridge.

DSCN0411

This, however, was no normal breakfast cookie. I have decided to expand the breakfast cookie market and did a little experimenting with this one.

For starters that is just not plain oats in there, oh no, I took it up a notch and replaced my regular 1/2 cup of dry oats with 1/2 cup of  dry Country Choice Organic Multigrain Hot Cereal.

DSCN0394

My 1/2 cup serving packed a nice fiber & protein punch with a mix of Rye, Barley, Oats & Wheat. I have to admit I was a little nervous the Multigrain Cereal combination would not soak up the cold applesauce as nicely as just the oats do, but this morning everything was nice and soft. A perfect plain oats substitute!

For something sweet I added a cute little package of Just Tomatoes’ Fruit Munchies.

DSCN0390

Just Fruit Munchies is a combination of dried apples, raisins, sour cherries, blueberries, mango, pineapple and raspberries. They were all quite sweet right out of the package, but really were a nice sweet touch interspersed in the breakfast cookie.

I really enjoy the Just Tomatoes products and the company’s approach to food. All of their products are 100% real with no added fat, sweeteners, sulfur, sulfites, preservatives, or colorings. It truly is ‘just’ what they claim it is on the package.

The final Breakfast Cookie Recipe

Simply combine all of the ingredients the night before then spread out on a plate and pop into the fridge. In the morning coat with Non-Fat Plain Yogurt & Strawberries then enjoy!!

DSCN0413

If you have not tried a breakfast cookie yet, I would suggest you get on it. Gina was seriously a genius when she invented this trend and I love the ability we all have to transform the cookie into any variation we would like. So add what you like or  take away what you lie, just be sure to make it your own and enjoy!

1 Sarah April 29, 2009 at 8:09 am

I have a suggestion: florescent pink fanny pack. I think my mom still has one from 1989, if you are interested 😉 It also pairs well with green swimwear.

I LOVE the JUST ____ stuff. Their veggie mixes with corn, peas and tomatoes are especially addictive. I just wish it wasn’t so spendy. I’m thinking one could replicate it with a food dehydrator?

2 Kristine April 29, 2009 at 8:13 am

I just got a spy belt at the Boston Marathon Fitness Expo!! I actually may have an extra I can send you! I’ll look into it and let you know. 🙂

I love my spy belt, by the way! They are amazing 🙂

3 weight and meditate April 29, 2009 at 8:19 am

Reading everybody’s blog got me to try Green Monsters, and I love them, and I’ve seen enough breakfast cookies now that I think I’m convinced that I should try them, too!

4 Anna April 29, 2009 at 8:24 am

The Country Choice Multigrain Cereal is my favorite! I bet that was another TJ find! 🙂

5 brandi April 29, 2009 at 8:31 am

congrats on the flip camera! that will be so much fun on your marathon trip!

I know…i haven’t tried a bfast cookie yet….I need to! I just never remember the night before!

6 Ashley April 29, 2009 at 8:35 am

I absolutely love the Country Choice Multigrain Cereal! It adds so much more than plain old oats!! By the way, hop on over to my site today and add your favorite recipe! I bet you have some great ones:)

7 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) April 29, 2009 at 8:38 am

The strawberries on your cookie look delicious!

8 Amy Pacheco April 29, 2009 at 8:40 am

I have a question! Where did you find the WildWood Pasta Slim noodles. They look a bit more appealing that the Shirtaki noodles…

And I literally want to jump through my screen and eat that breakfast cookie. Sadly I have the cooking abilities of a newborn and have been unable to actually make a breakfast cookie! (Literally I am lucky I can boil water)

🙂

9 Meghann April 29, 2009 at 8:42 am

Hi Amy! The company actually sent me some to try, but if you go to their website then you can find a store that carries them near you http://www.pulmuonewildwood.com/store.asp

🙂

10 Dana April 29, 2009 at 8:41 am

Hey, Meghann. I wore these shorts for the marathon:

If you notice, there is a zipper pocket on the back. The camera fit perfectly in it with no bouncing…just an idea.

11 Kristin April 29, 2009 at 8:50 am

Mmmm, I love the “Just” brand foods – it’s hard not to eat the whole container at once though!!

12 Mica April 29, 2009 at 8:51 am

Congrats on your camera. I’m excited about marathon footage!

13 Hangry Pants April 29, 2009 at 8:52 am

I feel the same way about eBAy. it was fun to get my HRM, but it was such a lot of work!

14 Rose April 29, 2009 at 9:01 am

This looks great, and I do agree that Gina is a genius. I think I may make one tonight??

15 Derek April 29, 2009 at 9:02 am

Congrats on your ebay win. Heard back from that other seller yet? Oh…and is that a fingernail shot in your dried fruit picture? 😉

16 Sharon April 29, 2009 at 9:08 am

That package of dried fruit is so cute.

17 coco April 29, 2009 at 9:22 am

your breakfast cookie is so pretty!!! I haven’t tried it yet because I don’t have protein powder…but this one doesn’t require one…. it works too, right??? 😀 I need to try that out soon!

18 runsarah April 29, 2009 at 9:35 am

What a fun spin on the bfast cookie! Congrats on winning the camera on ebay, I always seem to get outbid last second!

19 Melissa @ For the Love of Health April 29, 2009 at 9:40 am

That looks amazing!! I definitely have to make a breakfast cookie! It looks like dessert. 🙂

20 Crunchy Granola Girl April 29, 2009 at 9:45 am

I’m thinking I need to try this breakfast cookie idea- thanks for the link to Gina’s post!

21 Niki April 29, 2009 at 9:53 am

Congrats on winning your camera!! The breakfast cookie looks so good! What a great idea! I love things I can make the night before and not have to make breakfast before work! Thanks for sharing:)

22 gina (fitnessista) April 29, 2009 at 10:09 am

that bfast cookie is BEAUTIFUL – i’m so proud 😀
thank you for the lovely shout out as always
have a wonderful day- please give that cute blond girl we all love a giant hug for me 😉

23 Marissa April 29, 2009 at 10:13 am

I love the packaging on the fruit. It’s cute!

(Dine Out, Fight Aids. TOMORRROW April 30. http://www.diningoutforlife.com)

24 Pearl April 29, 2009 at 10:16 am

oh that is such a creative breakfast cookie! i’ve seen just tomatoes snacks in health food stores and tried strawberries one time.. it was really mouth-puckering tart. but i think they freeze dry them?

25 Matt April 29, 2009 at 10:31 am

Nice cookie! I am more of a hot breakfast person.

26 bobbi April 29, 2009 at 10:33 am

so glad you got the camera! Come check out my My May Challenge

27 Danielle April 29, 2009 at 10:34 am

Yayy for winning the camera!
And that breakfast cookie looks so good, I think it may be time for me to jump on the bandwagon and make one!

28 Christina April 29, 2009 at 10:45 am

Congrats on the ebay win! I always just buy the ‘buy it now’ products. I don’t have the patience to bid on things! I’m sure you get better deals that way though!

And it’s official, I’m definitely trying the breakfast cookie this week!

29 helpmeghanrun April 29, 2009 at 10:47 am

Yum! That looks great, I need to try one of Gina’s famous creations.

30 ksgoodeats April 29, 2009 at 11:03 am

Fun variation on the breakfast cookie!!

31 Sara April 29, 2009 at 11:04 am

Great way to spice up the breakfast cookie. It looks yummy!

32 runeatrepeat April 29, 2009 at 11:05 am

Yeah for winning the flip cam! I’ve been wanting to get one for my upcoming vacation, so let me know how you like it.

If you don’t have a spy belt yet I’m sure they will be selling them at the expo. I didn’t train at all with mine since I got it the day before at the expo, but I don’t know if that’s the best idea.

33 Julie April 29, 2009 at 11:45 am

Coco – I don’t use protein powder in my breakfast cookies, which I love, BTW. I just mix 1/2 c. oatmeal with 1 Tbsp of regular peanut butter and 1 Tbsp dark chocolate dreams PB and either 1/2 banana, a whole banana, or applesauce, depending on how big/caloric I need/want it to be. I also throw a few chocolate chips and shredded coconut in sometimes, and a sprinkle of cinnamon – DEELISH!! 🙂

34 Danica April 29, 2009 at 12:23 pm

That is one fabulous looking breakfast cookie. Your recipe makes me wnat to actually try one even though I think they sound wierd 🙂

35 Emily April 29, 2009 at 12:35 pm

i still need to try the breakfast cookie thing. i love race anticipation! makes me want to register for a marathon too 🙂

36 Susan April 29, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Oh wow, I didn’t realize your marathon is so soon! No wonder you’re getting so excited!!

Breakfast cookies are definitely one of the greatest things I’ve discovered through the blog world!

37 Sarah April 29, 2009 at 1:51 pm

looks delicious, huge and really filling, my kind of breakfast.

38 Lindsay April 29, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Ooooh thanks for the link to breakfast cookies. I can’t wait to try one!
Lindsay
foodrun.wordpress.com

39 Stephanie April 29, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Hooray for detailed breakfast cookie instructions! Thank you so much – this is definitely a must try!

And, the Pad Thai from the last post looks awesome…

40 Sarah April 29, 2009 at 3:17 pm

dried fruits are perfect in breakfast cookies! they help the oats soak up the moisture brilliantly. your combo sounds so good!

41 meg April 29, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Awesome breakfast cookie! I love that multi grain cereal. I haven’t had it in awhile.

42 Adi (oatonomy.com - now repaired!) April 29, 2009 at 6:31 pm

I’m definitely going to try a breakfast cookie this weekend! Question though… do you find that it keeps you full for very long? I feel like it’s lacking in volume and I might get hungry again pretty quick.

I’m excited for you and your marathon! You’re gonna rock it.

43 Melissa S. April 29, 2009 at 6:56 pm

rock’n bfast cookie! i need to try those fruits! i’ve seen them but they’re so $$$$$!

44 Alison May 7, 2009 at 8:47 pm

I’m a little late but wanted to say THANKS for this post, I was always reluctant to try breakfast cookies because I don’t use protein powder…. this post made me go for it and I’m so glad I did! I’ve had my own version every day for the past week! 🙂

{ 2 trackbacks }