Hot Apple Cereal

by Meghann on April 28, 2009

It truly is amazing what a solid 8 hours of sleep will get you. This morning I felt like I was back to my bubbly early morning self. I practically jumped on my bed, threw on my running shoes and was out the door all before 5:45.

I really wanted this morning to be a nice easy run so I kept my pace around 9:45 min/miles. It felt great and was really a nice relaxing run around the neighborhood. Sometimes you need to take it easy during a run just to get your bearings back.

I really, really wanted some cinnamon apples this morning, so I started with the apple as a base for my cereal this morning.

DSCN0369 (2)

I cut up a small Fuji Apple then microwaved it with some cinnamon for a minute. Once the apple was nice and soft I topped it with 1/2 cup Kashi H2H, 1/2 cup Kashi Blueberry Oat Clusters, 1/4 cup Pecan Praline Granola, Non-Fat Plain Yogurt and some Strawberries.

DSCN0374

The warm apple was a welcomed addition to my cereal routine. It gave the bowl a nice war, homey feel that I thoroughly enjoyed. It was exactly what I was craving!!

—————

I can not believe that 2 years ago yesterday I graduated from FSU! I swear it feels like yesterday I was cramming for exams or writing bajillion page papers. It has been quite a ride since I graduated, but time is going by too quickly, it needs to slow down!

This Friday I am making the trip back up to Tallahassee to watch my little Sister make the same walk across the stage that I did 2 years ago and proudly proclaim herself a FSU alumni! I would be lying if I wasn’t planning on shedding a few tears myself for how proud I am of her!!

These past couple of months have definitely taught me to be thankful for the family I have and to remember each day how lucky I am to have each and everyone of them. With Kelly’s Accident and the sudden passing of Jenna’s little brother, we all need to remember how precious life is and to not take for granted having our loved ones around us. Remember you can never give a person too many hugs or even tell them how much you love them enough. My little Brother might have tried to act cool when I nearly suffocated him on Sunday with the biggest bear hug I could muster and the corniest I Love You out there, but that will not stop me from doing it over and over again every time I see him, no matter how many of his friends are around! 😉

1 Kelly (sister) April 28, 2009 at 7:55 am

I’m studying for my last exam at Florida State ever right now! By 12 today I will be DONE! Woo hoo! So excited to graduate on Friday!!!!!!!!!! I can’t believe how fast these last two years have passed by! I love you!

2 Kristin April 28, 2009 at 8:03 am

I completely agree – after reading Jenna’s story, I’ve hugged my family and friends a little more often and a little tighter 🙂

3 Mica April 28, 2009 at 8:09 am

Congratulations to your sister! Yay, graduation!

4 Sammie April 28, 2009 at 8:24 am

I totally agree with you – I have been cherishing every moment with my guys since I read about Jenna’s tragic loss. It really made me stop and smell the roses.
I was so proud of my big sis when she graduated college. She worked so hard and it was so amazing to see her accomplish something like this while being a Mommy. Have a great day.

5 brandi April 28, 2009 at 8:26 am

i love making “baked apples” like that and eating them in oatmeal – I’ve never tried it with cereal and yogurt, but it looks great!

Early congrats to your sister. My little sister graduates next weekend, and I’m so happy/sad – I can’t believe she’s so grown up!

6 weight and meditate April 28, 2009 at 8:27 am

Breakfast looks delicious and thanks for a reminder to tell those in our lives we love them as often as we can!

7 Lyss April 28, 2009 at 8:31 am

Thanks for this post! I hate to think that sometimes it takes such horrific tragedies to open our eyes and show us what truly matters, but it does remind us all how much we have to be thankful for! That picture of you and your sister is adorable – I can’t wait to graduate!

8 Melissa @ For the Love of Health April 28, 2009 at 8:40 am

I agree with appreciating life! This is absolutely how we should all live. 🙂

Your breakfast looks so good! I am going to have to try a variation.

I have a question regarding running in the morning. Have always got up so early to run? How long did it take you to get used to getting up that early to run? I am NOT a morning running. I am if it’s 9am or later but definitely not 5:45am but sometimes I wish I could.

9 meg April 28, 2009 at 8:53 am

I agree about appreciating life! We should all remember that every day!

Congrats to your sister!

10 katie s April 28, 2009 at 9:15 am

Awesome post, Meghann! Totally true to be grateful each and every day! And I just wanted to let you know I got my Glee Gum yesterday! Thanks again!!!

11 Sharon April 28, 2009 at 9:27 am

Awh, totally love the picture of you and your sister!

12 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) April 28, 2009 at 9:27 am

So true. Family is such a precious gift, and time is too! I regret all of the moments I have “wished away” in order to get to something bigger and better. But the present is what’s here now, so let’s savor it!

13 runnerskitchen April 28, 2009 at 9:30 am

Baked apples are the best! I usually try to stay away from fake sugar, but sometimes I will core a giant apple, place it in a shallow baking pan, pour diet cherry soda on top, and bake it at 350 degrees until tender. To make it even better, I will add vanilla yogurt, chopped nuts, etc. It makes a great dessert!

And I called my little sister for a long chat last night…the death of Jenna’s brother made me realize that I can’t wait to tell my friends and family how much I care about them…

14 Melissa April 28, 2009 at 9:37 am

great message! It applicable in so many ways. thanks for reminding us.

15 runsarah April 28, 2009 at 9:44 am

Congrats to Kelly — how awesome you both went to the same uni 🙂

16 ksgoodeats April 28, 2009 at 9:47 am

Congrats to Kelly!!

17 BearBoo April 28, 2009 at 9:48 am

ok, is it just me or does your sister look SO MUCH like caitlin?!

18 Vanessa April 28, 2009 at 9:48 am

Breakfast looks great. Congrats to your sister!

19 bobbi April 28, 2009 at 9:51 am

Hey Megs! just want to let you know that I am catching up on all mu bloggies and am here reading!!! Missed you!

20 Danielle April 28, 2009 at 10:01 am

After everything that happened with Jenna I spent the past 3 days with my family, it’s so important to remember that each day is a gift!
Congrats to your sister!

21 Sara April 28, 2009 at 10:44 am

I love your idea of warming up your apple with cinnamon! I usually do a cold apple with cereal and yogurt, but I’ll definately try out your idea tomorrow. 🙂

22 Rose April 28, 2009 at 10:54 am

I am feeling the same way about graduation. I can’t believe it’s been two years since I graduated. I am starting to feel old 🙂

23 biz319 April 28, 2009 at 11:29 am

Life is short and you can’t take anything for granted!

Congrats to your sister Kelly!!!

24 helpmeghanrun April 28, 2009 at 11:39 am

That looks so good! I will need to try that soon, definitely. And absolutely I have (re)learned recently that we need to appreciate life *every* day and love everyone around us. 🙂

25 Susan April 28, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Some of my family is coming to visit me this week. Instead of letting them drive me nuts (like they usually do) I’m going to soak of every moment with them. All these tragedies have made me realize that family is too important to just shrug off!

26 Sarah April 28, 2009 at 2:26 pm

that’s so funny…I’ll be at that same ceremony for my sisters graduation tomorrow! I’m bringing New Moon for entertainment! How long will you be in Tallahassee? Either Saturday or Sunday morning I’m planning a 6 miler at Lake Ella if you want to meet up! My email is sarahcox05@hotmail.com…let me know!

27 Orla April 28, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Bearboo – it’s not just you! I always think it’s Caitlin in the picture the first time I see it!

28 Sara April 29, 2009 at 7:37 am

Like Melissa I had a question about morning running. It doesn’t get light out here in Indiana until about 6:20 and I need to start getting ready for work by 6:30. I would love to start out on a run at 5:45 but it’s dark! Is it dark when you start out and if it is does that bother you?