more ยป" />

Gifts from the UK

by Meghann on April 28, 2009

A couple of weeks ago a reader from the United Kingdom sent me a kind e-mail with an offer to send some fun UK treats. After months of watching Mi rave about Eat Natural Bars, of course I said yes.

As it does take quite a bit of time for packages to make it across the Atlantic, I had almost completely forgot about the e-mail exchange until I noticed a customs sticker on one of my envelopes yesterday.

DSCN0348.JPG

Inside was a kind card, some yummy dark chocolate, Raspberry Bites and two different Eat Natural bars.

DSCN0350.JPG

This afternoon I knew I had to try the Eat Natural with Almonds, Apricots and a Yoghurt Coating on for my afternoon snack.

DSCN0385.JPG

The ingedients were simple: yogurt, brown rice crisps, almonds & apricots. Since there wasn’t much to the bar, it was rather fragile and broke just as easily in my hand as it melted in my mouth.

DSCN0387.JPG

It was definitely different then any bar I’ve had, but very good. The only complaint I would have is that its very sweet almost like a white chocolate candy bar.

Thanks Sam for the wonderful gifts!!

For dinner tonight I decided to try a new WildWood product: PastaSlim.

DSCN0395.JPG

PastaSlim reminds me of Tofu Shirataki Noodles. They have 20 calories per serving, require no boiling time, are wheat, gluten & dairy free and are made of tofu.

DSCN0397.JPG

As I am not the biggest fan of spaghetti noodles for spaghetti, I had to dig into my creative thinking cap for this one and came up with an easy, yummy Shrimp Pad Thai dish.

DSCN0403.JPG

• Seseame Oil
  • Vinegar
  • Red Pepper Flakes
  • Soy Sauce
  • Honey
  • Peanut Butter
  1. Mix together the ingredients for the sauce and place to the side. I did not measure the ingredients but just kept adding various elements until it tasted right.
  2. Place a wok on high heat and drizzle some sesame oil. Stir fry the onion, garlic, broccoli, carrots and mushrooms until the vegetables are soft.
  3. Push the vegetables to one side of the woke and add about 1/2 cup of egg whites to the other. Scramble the egg whites then combine with the vegetables.
  4. Add the sauce and shrimp to the vegetables. Let the sauce thicken and wait for the shrimp to turn pink.
  5. Drain the PastaSlim noodles and add to the wok, combine until all is heated through.

DSCN0402.JPG

It was actually a pretty good dish. The PastaSlim noodle are not as slimy as the Tofu Shiratki Noodles and really held the Peanut Sauce rather well. The only thing this dish was missing is crushed peanut, which I forgot to add until I was almost done eating.

DSCN0401.JPG

At the moment my kitchen is bursting at the seem with sweets! With so many options for dessert I was overwelmed and went with an old standby: Ice Cream.

DSCN0407.JPG

I had 1/2 cup Edy’s Slow Churned Samoas Ice Cream wih a crumbled mini Cinnamon Twist Crumbled on top. Yum!

E-bay Help…

A really sweet reader sent me a video today she and her hottie boyfriend film while they ran their first marathon last weekend. The video was so hilarious and so inspiring it really made me want to try to capture as much of my first marathon experience as possible on film as well.

So now as an e-bay newbie I am desperately trying to get ahold of my very own Flip Camera. So far, I am not having much luck on here. Everyone keeps bidding out of my price range, I thought e-bay was suppose to be a steal?!?! Does anyone have any good tips for landing the Flip Camera of my dreams for under $50?!?!

1 Briana April 28, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Hmm… those noodles look interesting, but good. And that ice cream looks more than good. ๐Ÿ™‚ The only thing I really know about e-bay is to wait to the last minute to bid. That is generally when the bidding occurs.

2 Island Girl Eats April 28, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Those noodles look amazing. I will have to look to see if I can find them at my grocery store.

3 Sara B. April 28, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Where did you find the slimnoodles?

4 Lyss April 28, 2009 at 7:53 pm

I’m going to shoot you an e-mail… ๐Ÿ˜‰

5 Susan April 28, 2009 at 7:57 pm

I’ve seen those Eat Natural bars here in Canada, but I’ve never picked them up because they don’t look very filling. They do look darn tasty though…

6 Shelby April 28, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I wish I could find those noodles, the tofu ones were okay…but not my favorite. Love your recipe though, Pad Thai is so delicious!

7 Emily April 28, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Those bars look great; if you like them you should try KIND bars (which are my favorites of all time!).

I know nada about eBay, when husband and I sold stuff we practically ended up losing $!

8 Sharon April 28, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Awwwh, that is such a sweet package!

9 helpmeghanrun April 28, 2009 at 8:36 pm

That looks good! I have never tried those noodles before, seems like a great low-cal sub for spaghetti.

10 Rose April 28, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Mi is a sweetheart. What a lovely package ๐Ÿ™‚

I have the Flip – but I got it as a Christmas gift at full price….. is there any reason you would need one for work and they’d pay for it? ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Meg April 28, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Fabulous dinner! I need to check out those noodles!

12 Mel April 28, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Your pasta dish sounds really yummy!

The best tip I can give you about eBay, get a sniper program. That’s the most popular and quickest way to get what you want. You set up a maximum bid and it will get it in in the last seconds. Check out auction sniper, that’s what my boy (the eBay pro) uses.

13 Melissa @ For the Love of Health April 28, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Your ice cream desserts always look so good! Making me hungry! I better go to bed haha

14 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) April 28, 2009 at 9:45 pm

That ice cream looks great!

15 Sweet and Fit April 28, 2009 at 9:50 pm

what a great package – I always love trying food/snacks from other countries. I love ebay, but I have no experience with cameras really, gluck!

16 runsarah April 28, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Those noodles remind me of chow mein noodles…yum!

17 Kristi @ Sweet Cheeks April 28, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Delish dinner and dessert. Ice cream is the best dessert anyways. ๐Ÿ˜‰

18 Danica April 28, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Your pizza bagels at lunch look awesome but so does dinner! I LOVE fun mail!

You will LOVE your flip – I won one for my Annie’s Quilt Design and The Husband Stole it lol…..Good luck getting yours.

19 Bec April 28, 2009 at 11:20 pm

what great UK goodies!

20 bobbi April 28, 2009 at 11:46 pm

I love me some Pad Thai, wish I would have had that camera for my BOSTON MARATHON!!! SO COOL!

21 runeatrepeat April 28, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Yeah, I’m bad with winning on ebay. Just keep trying I guess.

22 Pearl April 29, 2009 at 12:44 am

oh what sweet gifts!

23 Sam April 29, 2009 at 1:06 am

Hehe I feel all famous appearing on your blog! The yogurt-covered bars are sweet, so I guess it just depends on what you like. The chocolate one is quite sweet too, unsurprisingly, but you can get others that just have fruit, nuts and seeds in. I’ll have to send some of them over at a later date! I haven’t tried the fruit bites myself so you’ll have to let me know what they’re like!
The noodles look good…I swear the first thing I do when i’m next in the US will be to stock up on food!

24 linds April 29, 2009 at 6:21 am

Those slim noodles look kinda cool…And you should totally wear a helmet with a camera attached to it looking back at you while you run your marathon ๐Ÿ˜‰ That would be sweet, lol

25 Julie April 29, 2009 at 6:33 am

Hmm, do those noodles have the same texture as the shirataki noodles? I tried them once but the texture grossed me out, so I had to toss them! It made me gag.

The best advice I can give you about ebay is either watch your bid like a hawk, or use the buy it now feature. I didn’t know you could get a sniper to bid for you. That information could be dangerous for me!

26 Lauren April 29, 2009 at 6:56 am

The Eat Natural bar looks yummy – I am a white chocolate fan, so I bet I’d love the sweet candy bar-like taste!

I am an e-bay virgin… good luck with the flip camera!

27 Colleen April 29, 2009 at 7:10 am

Woot.com has a recertified Pure Digital Flip Cam for $69.99 today.

28 Danielle April 29, 2009 at 7:26 am

What a fun package!
I used to use ebay all the time, try to bid when it’s a minute or two from ending.

29 Ann April 29, 2009 at 7:33 am

I actually spotted those bars yesterday here in Canada (which is kind of amazing in my area since we get nothing cool ๐Ÿ™ ). I didn’t pick any up, but I’m glad for your review so I’ll know next time I’m in the store!

30 kristine June 30, 2009 at 2:40 pm

hi
i was wondering where you saw the eat natural bars? i just returned from the uk and would love to find them in canada!

thanks!

kristine

31 Amanda April 29, 2009 at 7:49 am

today only they have those on there, not sure if its the model you want but its only 70 bucks with 5$ shipping. That website sells stuff super fast so I hope if that’s what you want you can go ahead and order it soon!

32 ttfn300 April 29, 2009 at 12:46 pm

great-lookin pad thai!

33 bi0nicw0man April 29, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I have seen those Eat Natural bars around here a few times. I’ll have to finally pick a couple up and check them out! ๐Ÿ™‚

34 Marianne May 7, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Hmmm, I have a package of shiritaki noodles in my fridge that I have been trying to figure out what to do with them. Perhaps a simple stirfry would work, like what you made with those noodles ๐Ÿ˜€