Missing Shoes

by Meghann on April 27, 2009

Ahhhhh…..

You can imagine my frustration this afternoon as I discovered my running shoes were MISSING while I was preparing for my Team in Training Run. GASP!!! I sort of panicked for a minute when I had no recollection of bringing them home from my parent’s house. After a quick phone call home, my Mom assured me my lovely shoes were safe and sound in the kitchen…. a good 45 minute drive away. Bummer.

I have plans of driving home Thursday anyways, so I will have to make due the remainder of the week without them. Luckily I still have my old running shoes as a back up. My lovely shoes had been shoved in the back of my coset since they retired back in January, but they were my only option. I could tell the difference immediately upon lacing the shoes up this afternoon, the shoe was thin, the support was nonexistent and the groove where my foot used to rest did not feel right. However, I simply had to grin and bear it for practice. There was no way this far into training I was going to take a break from running.

I managed to complete 4.24 miles with the old shoes. Luckily, I had a friend run with me and he was able to distract me from the the dragging of my heel. We also managed to maintain a 8:30 pace while holding a conversation! Sometimes I even surprise myself. 🙂

My lunch really filled me up today, but I knew I needed to atleast try to eat my snack as dinner would be late due to practice. I hate coming home and feeling like I could shove my whole cabinet in my mouth.

DSCN0347.JPG

I managed to munch on my Carrots & Mary’s Gone Crackers with Wildwood Spiced Indian Hummus around 4:00.

There were also bagels sitting in the kitchen this afternoon and I mindlessly tore a piece off one of them. I’m not even sure why I did it, I wasn’t hungry, it was just sitting there staring at me. Stupid bagel death stares.

I was very proud of my restraint after my run this evening to not eat the whole kitchen. I managed to put together a relatively quick and tasty meal!

DSCN0363.JPG

Corn on the Cob was on sale for 25 cents a piece at Publix this weekend! I bought one and simply through it in the oven at 415 degrees husk and all. After about 15 minutes I took it out, peeled the husk and shaved it with a knife.

DSCN0359.JPG

I LOVE fresh corn and its really easy to make. Its great as is, no salt or butter needed!

I also had one of my favorite combinations of steamed Kale and Apples.

DSCN0355.JPG

Again, so simple and so delish!

For the main course I heated up a Black Bean Burger on the stove top that I had made and froze a couple of weeks ago.

DSCN0356.JPG

I topped the burger with this AMAZING Peach Salsa I had picked up at Trader Joes.

DSCN0351.JPG

The Peach Salsa was the perfect topper for the bean burger. I love it!

Dessert was another Trader Joe’s find.

DSCN0364.JPG

I seriously came home with too many great things. Too bad their are no Trader Joes in Florida! 🙁

The Molasses Cookie was a really good size. Nice and big so I had no urge to go back for a second.

DSCN0367.JPG

I was not sure what to expect taste wise, but I really, really enjoyed it!! It tasted just like a rich Sugar Cookie! I was expecting some spice like a GInger Cookie, but there was none. I loved it!

So I didn’t make my 8:00pm bedtime like I had wanted, but I am still hoping to be in bed by 9:00pm! Big comfy bed, here I come!!

Good night everyone!

1 Brandi April 27, 2009 at 7:46 pm

i’m glad you kept your other running shoes just in case!

dinner looks great, and so does that molasses cookie. I LOVE molasses cookies 🙂

enjoy your night and LOTS of sleep!

2 Kristin April 27, 2009 at 7:47 pm

OMG, there are no better cookies than Molasses cookies!! Great dinner!

3 Kristi @ Sweet Cheeks April 27, 2009 at 7:54 pm

That cookie looks so big and delicious! I am with you…I desparately need a Trader Joes close to me.

Hope you get some good sleep!

4 mags April 27, 2009 at 7:55 pm

i know the stubbornness of a runner, but you have to be CAREFUL with shoes!! while you think there is no way this far into training that you could skip, there is no way you should risk an injury!! all it takes is one time in bad shoes. i’m not trying to scare you but i’ve had it happen to me during marathon training. good luck!

5 Sharon April 27, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Sorry to hear about your shoes.
At least you have another pair to resort to! =D

6 Sally April 27, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Nice deal on the corn! Did you know that there is actually a kitchen utensil that is specifically made for peeling corn? Oh, the things they come up with these days…..lol

7 Lynne April 27, 2009 at 8:21 pm

I really, really wish Trader Joe’s would come to Florida.

8 weight and meditate April 27, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Hmm, another way I shall have to try eating kale. And corn on the cob sure sounds good, too!

9 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) April 27, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I think we should petition for a TJ’s in central Florida. There are PLENTY of people who would love it!

10 Amelia April 27, 2009 at 8:30 pm

I know exactly what you mean about using old shoes. That is frustrating. It’s really easy to feel how worn out they are. Great job on completing the run anyway! 🙂

11 lisaheartspizza April 27, 2009 at 8:38 pm

there are no trader joes in florida?!?!? crazy! And bagels stare at me all the time too- like the money in those Geico commercials

12 Anna April 27, 2009 at 8:45 pm

One of my favorite non recipes is putting that peach salsa and pineapple over a chicken breast and baking it. Delish!

13 runsarah April 27, 2009 at 8:46 pm

That peach salsa looks awesome! I hate using old shoes too, my old ones are Champion ones from Payless…heavy as a brick!

14 Brooke April 27, 2009 at 9:01 pm

That dinner looks really good!
As far as shoes: I buy two pairs when they go on sale. That way I always have a fresh pair ready.

15 Michelle April 27, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Mmm I love fresh corn too! I’ve been thinking about it for a couple weeks now actually. And I totally understand about bagel death stares. They’ll get you every time. 🙂

16 Marissa April 27, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I love, love fresh corn! Yum!

(Dine Out, Fight AIDS. APril 30. http://www.diningoutforlife.com)

17 Bec April 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm

I know what you mean in the fall I left my new running shoes at my parents house 3 hours a way and had to use my old ones for 2 weeks, my feet were not happy!

18 Julie April 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm

mmm the Wildwood Indian spice hummus is so good! you should def try the raspberry chipotle 🙂

19 Rachel April 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm

That cookie looks absolutely superb. Oh man. I want one right NOW!

20 snackface April 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm

I’ve gone to my parents’ house and forgotten my running shoes at my house. I wanted to get a run in and just used my fashionable kicks. Not a good idea. Those shoes were never made for running, but that’s just what they did.

Oh my goodness that cookie looks amazing! Are the nutiritional stats good for that size? I’ll have to look for it.

Have a great night’s sleep 🙂

21 Amandaa April 27, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Lots of good eats!

Argg about the running shoes.

That cookie looks awesome.

22 Hangry Pants April 27, 2009 at 11:29 pm

Bagel stares are the worst!!! Bagels here are sooooo delicious too!

Sorry about the sneaks.

23 Danica April 27, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Bummer about the shoes but WTG at not letting it stop you.

I absolutely LOVE that TJ’s peach salsa!

And I am completely impressed that you could hold a conversation booking that fast on your run 🙂

24 janetha April 27, 2009 at 11:44 pm

yum i looove that peach salsa, pick it up every time i am in a state with a TJs! your shoe story made me laugh, because i can totally relate. ugh bagels are evilly delicious…

25 Tina April 28, 2009 at 7:54 am

That salsa is so gooooooood!

26 Sara April 28, 2009 at 10:45 am

That cookie looks great! Trader Joes, here I come.

27 Lauren April 28, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Oh my gosh, I just bought the same TJ Peach salsa and I am dying to try it.

I’m holding out for fish tacos on Cinco De Mayo! So glad that you liked this prodcut. Now I really can’t wait to try it.

Glad to hear you had a great time in Long Beach. We drove through Long Beach when we were out in LA on v-cay. Verry pretty town! 🙂

Take care Meghann!

28 Sarah W. April 29, 2009 at 10:48 am

hubby and I LOVE those molasses cookies but he has actually said they are “too” molasse-y for him and prefers MY molasses cookies instead 🙂 what a great compliment! I still love the TJ’s kind tho!!!