Taxes

by Meghann on April 15, 2009

Happy Tax Day Everyone!!

I hope everyone has submitted their tax returns and are awaiting a hefty refund! I am very much a Type A person when it comes to taxes and completed mine way back in February. I have already received my tax refund and deposited it straight into my savings where it sits with every other tax return I have ever received.

What do you do with your tax refund? Do you spend it on something fun? Pay off bills? Or put it right into savings?

Someday I hope to buy something fun with all of my tax refunds! Like a pony or you know maybe a house. πŸ˜‰

I was all about speed work this morning and headed straight to the treadmill at my apartment’s gym to pound out a 30 minute run. I did my normal intervals of level 8 and 6.5 on a 1% incline, throwing in a few other random numbers just for fun. I finished sweaty and satisfied.

For breakfast I had another new WildWood product I had to test out.

DSCN0159

I had never had soy yogurt before and knew this would be an adventure. It’s a lot thinner then my normal Greek yogurt, but the peach was actually not that bad. However, I had other intentions with this yogurt besides just eating it out of the container.

DSCN0162

In the blender I made one hell of a morning smoothie with

• 1/2 WildWood Peach Soy Yogurt Container
  • Ice
  • Kale
  • Pom Juice
  • Mango
  • Pineapple
  • Strawberries

The smoothie ended up an odd purplish brown color that reminded me of poo, but boy did it taste good!

DSCN0164 (3)

It was the perfect amount of sweetness and I love how you could not taste the kale at all.

With the smoothie I had the other half of my Easter Scone I enjoyed on Monday.

DSCN0163

Yum!

1 AlliJag April 15, 2009 at 7:50 am

It goes right into savings – just like yours! πŸ™‚

2 VeggieGirl April 15, 2009 at 7:51 am

Mmm, delish smoothie!!

3 tami April 15, 2009 at 7:56 am

our taxes seem to go to bills….with one income it’s a tough squeeze around here sometimes. but we wouldn’t change a thing for right now, staying home with my kids has been so beneficial to everyone.

4 Betsy April 15, 2009 at 7:57 am

Right into savings? Now that is smart. Mine went straight to my credit card bills… maybe next year I’ll start with the saving. πŸ™‚

5 TorontoGirloutWest April 15, 2009 at 7:58 am

I’m using my tax refund for some weather related expenses – specifically a location scouting trip to Mexico! πŸ˜‰ lol

It’s also a treat for myself following my call to the bar ceremony! πŸ™‚

6 TorontoGirloutWest April 15, 2009 at 7:58 am

I’m using my tax refund for some wedding related expenses – specifically a location scouting trip to Mexico! πŸ˜‰ lol

It’s also a treat for myself following my call to the bar ceremony! πŸ™‚

7 Meg C. April 15, 2009 at 8:01 am

I think you might be mistaking “return” with “refund”. Return is what you file with the government, refund is the cash you receive back. Yep… I’m a tax accountant… so today is quite a relief for me!

8 Pearl April 15, 2009 at 8:10 am

ohhh smoothie + scone = omnomnom!
yaaay for taxes being done!

9 iowagirleats April 15, 2009 at 8:17 am

Ooo yeah – freaky color – but I bet it tasted awesome!!

10 brandi April 15, 2009 at 8:19 am

We’ve saved all our tax refunds so far, but most of the stuff we’ve saved will be paying for our trip to Honduras this summer and to help my sister and her husband come with us. Fun, for sure, but it will be hard to give up the money that’s been sitting πŸ™‚

great smoothie!

11 Sharon April 15, 2009 at 8:24 am

Some of it right into savings, some of it to splurge on whatever I fancy. LOL

12 Lynne April 15, 2009 at 8:30 am

I haven’t decided if I’ll use my refund for something fun, like my summer vacation, or something practical, like my savings account.

13 Rose April 15, 2009 at 8:38 am

That’s awesome that you save your refund. I have never been the best at saving… it always seems like something comes up that I need to pay for – this time, it’s a new computer, which I actually desperately need as mine is on its last legs.

Now it’s all about being sensible when I buy it πŸ™‚

14 Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 15, 2009 at 8:42 am

I totally paid off bills and bought my Keurig coffee maker. I wish I could’ve saved it, but with the fiance out of work, we had crazy bills to pay.

15 ksgoodeats April 15, 2009 at 8:44 am

Delish breakfast!! House…psh, buy a pony πŸ˜‰

16 Amelia April 15, 2009 at 8:49 am

Unfortunately I owed the gov’t money this year. πŸ™ Usually though, I save half and spend half.

17 Wiggs April 15, 2009 at 8:57 am

I love eating stuff that looks like poo! It makes for endless entertainment and immature jokes.

My tax refund this year is going directly into the wedding (so is Dave’s). We have an itty bitty budget, so every penny helps!

18 bobbi April 15, 2009 at 9:01 am

now that I am all grown up we spend it on big projects on our house:)

19 Nicole April 15, 2009 at 9:25 am

Wildwood is my favorite but I can’t find it around here. Boooooo.

20 Dustin April 15, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Hey Nicole,
If you go to http://www.wildwoodnaturalfoods.com they have a store tracker where you could find locations that carry their products.

21 Yasmin April 15, 2009 at 9:28 am

I didn’t get much for my refund and it went straight to paying a speeding ticket I received the same day as my check! Ironic much?!

22 Lauren April 15, 2009 at 9:28 am

Want to do my taxes for me next year? πŸ˜‰

Breakfast looks lovely!

23 runsarah April 15, 2009 at 9:43 am

Yay for morning smoothies! Sometimes the funny coloured ones taste the best.

24 Kiki April 15, 2009 at 9:47 am

Smart girl for saving
Smarter girl for fab smoothie! x

25 Krista April 15, 2009 at 10:09 am

Great smoothie!!

I bet a house would be nice, eh?! πŸ™‚

26 biz319 April 15, 2009 at 10:12 am

Happy Tax Day! I did ours back in early March, and we’ve gotten our refund, which sits in our savings account too! πŸ˜€

You lost me with kale in that smoothie!

27 Courtney April 15, 2009 at 10:29 am

She hates folding laundry, yet she is the first done with her taxes! ;]

28 Sarah April 15, 2009 at 10:33 am

Welcome to the green monster (aka cool kid) club. You know I spend my tax return on tutus.

29 Michelle April 15, 2009 at 10:40 am

I love “green” smoothies! I plan on putting my tax return directly into my savings too! After graduation from college this year, I have to move back home for a bit (my graduate school is close by home) so I’m saving whatever I can to get my own apartment ASAP! I’m sure you can understand!

Happy Hump Day Meghann!!

30 Laura (On the Threshold of Greatness) April 15, 2009 at 10:41 am

I think the smoothie sounds good! I’ve made some pretty ugly ones myself, but they always taste great. πŸ™‚

I used to do my taxes as soon as I could, but now that I’m earning a little more and owe both federal and state taxes, I wait until the last minute. It’s amazing how my mindset has changed toward taxes.

Good for you for saving so diligently!

31 Kristin April 15, 2009 at 10:53 am

I plan on spending my tax return on my boyfriend’s graduation present! (he wouldn’t be getting such a nice one if I hadn’t filed them, ha) Smoothie looks great!

32 Danielle April 15, 2009 at 10:55 am

Mine went right to my savings account just like every year as well, I think I did it sometime in March though.
But I gotta save that money if i want to make it down to Florida and buy a house right?
Your smoothie sounds delicious, and the color looks better then mine did today, mine looked like cement for some reason.

33 Meg April 15, 2009 at 10:58 am

Yeah for tax refunds and Easter scones!

34 Marissa April 15, 2009 at 11:14 am

This is the first year we’re filing together but we are using our refund on our house πŸ™‚

35 Trish (girlatgym) April 15, 2009 at 11:18 am

No refund for me! πŸ™ Oh well, I made more money this past year thanks to a second job – so not all bad!

36 Niki April 15, 2009 at 11:21 am

Happy Tax day!! I put mine into savings since I will be starting anesthesia school in July and will need the extra money! Although I did use some to buy my car:)

I need to try making smoothies, yours sounds yummy!!

37 Elina April 15, 2009 at 11:28 am

For the first time in my life I actually owed money to the govt. I knew there were dissadvantages to being married, haha πŸ˜† Last year, though, I actually really treated myself with my refund. I usually just deposit it in the savings acct, like you, but last year I bought a designer purse. It was awesome! Gotta help the economy, you know πŸ˜‰
Great idea, halving the scone – it’s healthier and you get to enjoy it twice! πŸ˜€

38 Bec April 15, 2009 at 11:33 am

I vote on the pony!

39 Erin April 15, 2009 at 12:05 pm

LOL at refund!

The hubz and I prefer to have our money up front, to save as we like, rather than get 1 check per year from the govt.

40 runnerskitchen April 15, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Your smoothie looks good! As soon as the weather warms up in NYC, I’m going to make something yummy in my blender. It’s rainy and 45 degrees here today, bleh. My tax return is also safely stowed away in my savings account πŸ™‚

41 Sarah April 15, 2009 at 3:01 pm

ive never got a tax return! how sad, huh. but if i did, id put it to my mortgage. super boring.