Not a Pretty Day

by Meghann on April 14, 2009

It has not been a pretty day in the Sunshine State. The clouds are dark and gray outside and we have had tornado warnings all morning. With already a couple of inches or rain on the ground, we are expected to get a couple of more before tonight. I guess these are the times I should be thankful I am inside all day for my job?

I had 10 o’clock meeting this morning and wasn’t ready for a snack before the meeting. When it let out an hour later I knew I needed something, but my original planned snack was too big for so close to lunch time so I grabbed a handful of Awesome Almonds from my stash.

DSCN0129

These were a great tide me over.

I had a few errands to run during my lunch, so I was unable to make it home today to eat. There were some left overs in the kitchen from a meeting yesterday so I snagged a plate with my pre-packed Orange and Barney Butter Sample.

DSCN0130

The left overs were from Roly Poly. I LOVE their salad and Mega Veggie Wrap. I was able to snag the last two.

DSCN0135 (3)

I had brought the Barney Butter to dip the orange in, but Barney Butter doesn’t have quite the same dipping capabilities as my Whole Foods Almond Butter does. I ended up smearing the orange with it.

DSCN0131

This is my 3rd attempt with Barney Butter and I have to say its ok, but again not something I would write home about. I have a jar in my pantry off a contest I won a couple of weeks ago and I think it will be my ‘back up’ jar of almond butter. lol. Not something I would grab first, but if its there I will eat it.

If you are bored and need something to click on check out this educational quiz over at Women’s Health that VeggieGirl sent me about the 11 Most Common Running Mistakes. Its worth a read. 🙂

1 peanutbutterandjuli April 14, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Hey girl!

I love that same sammie from Roly Poly (I also love their name!).

Hope the clouds clear up!

Oh and I’m hosting my first giveaway!!! Stop by 🙂 http://peanutbutterandjuli.wordpress.com/2009/04/13/perfect-foods/

2 brandi April 14, 2009 at 1:05 pm

it’s pretty gloomy here, too.

I felt the same way about the barney butter after I ate one of the sample packets. I didn’t notice much of a difference until I tasted the one I already have at home – not bad, but I probably won’t be ordering it.

3 Bec April 14, 2009 at 1:10 pm

hope the weather clears up soon!

4 iowagirleats April 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Ooo citrus and AB? Never thought about that combo!

5 Colleen April 14, 2009 at 1:27 pm

The Barney Butter out of the jar is SOOOOOO much better than the packets…I have no idea why!

Open the jar! Open the jar!

After I opened mine I immediately got online and ordered two more! 🙂

6 Amy C. April 14, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I thought I was the only one who didn’t really like barney butter. Kath got my jars because I just didn’t like it enough to eat it. I like my Teddie peanut butter. 🙂

7 Pearl April 14, 2009 at 1:41 pm

i tend to marantha butter more, too! i think i shall make my own almond butter once the huge jar of marantha that i got at costco runs out!

8 VeggieGirl April 14, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Gross here too, weather wise 🙁

Glad you enjoyed the article/quiz!! 🙂

9 Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 14, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I agree about the BB. It’s not BAD, but I prefer fresh almond butter MUCH more. It’s gross here too, but its Chicago and expected 🙂

10 verbalriot April 14, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I also got the samples but didn’t try them yet…I hear the ingredients list isn’t that fantastic either.

Great lunch! I’m impressed by your small snack. I’d need more to hold me over for sure 🙂

11 runsarah April 14, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Fun article/quiz! Sun in the rainy province and rain in the sunshine state…strange day today!

12 Sara April 14, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Your office leftovers look great! My office doesn’t have yummy and healthy leftovers like that. 🙂 Do you put the BB on your orange??

13 Sarah April 14, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I’m scared to look at those running mistakes. I’m sure I probably do 1 through 11.

14 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) April 14, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I’m sad you don’t like Barney Butter!!

Lunch looks delish!

15 Danielle April 14, 2009 at 2:42 pm

The Garden state (NJ) is the same as The sunshine state minus the tornado warnings.
Actually my boyfriend and I are thinking of movingdown south to Orlando in a year to a year in a half, could I possibly email you some questions I have about the areas to look in and the areas to avoid?

16 Hallie April 14, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Yeah I’m with you on the BB. Maybe the jar is better? But then it’s not very good advertising, huh? Because after tasting the packet and thinking, “eh..it’s ok” I certainly don’t want to buy a jar when my Trader Joe almond butter does the trick and is cheaper than everything else.

Oh and a health food store around here makes thier own honey roasted almond butter. It is TO DIE FOR. I sneak into my coworker’s stash from time to time because I know it’d be dangerous to buy a whole thing of it for myself 🙂

17 zestycook April 14, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Hope the weather brightens up! I woke up to snow today so I feel your pain.

18 Niki April 14, 2009 at 3:00 pm

The weather here sucks too. Cold, windy, and very cloudy. I love Roly Poly! We used to have one here in Memphis but it closed down. I used to go everyday when I had a lunch break in between classes.

I’m sad you don’t like your Barney Butter! I love the stuff!

19 Marissa April 14, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Thanks for sharing that article 🙂

20 Regan April 14, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Hey Meghann, this is a random question…Where do you get your running shorts/spandex? In your race picture you, your sister, and caitlin had them on, and they look really comfortable.
Thanks!

P.S. I posted this comment on your dinner post by accident so I am just re submitting it again lol.

21 Susan April 14, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I finally tried nut butter (cashew) on an orange today and it was soooo good! Thanks for getting me addicted to eating nut butter on yet another type of food!! 😛

22 Victoria April 14, 2009 at 7:26 pm

I definitely agree with BB just being OK. Nothing too fabulous to me.

23 ksgoodeats April 14, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Roly Poly sandwiches are so good! I had a stuffing one, I died and went to heaven 🙂

24 Matt April 14, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I feel the same way about barney butter as you; it’s ok, but there are better nut butters out there.