Knock On Wood

by Meghann on April 13, 2009

With my marathon a little more then a month away I feel like I have to be careful with everything I say so that I don’t jinx myself. I don’t know about anyone else, but I am very superstitious when it comes to this stuff.

I keep wanting to say how I had a great run this morning (*knocks on wood), that my legs felt fantastic (*knocks on wood) and that I think the rest of my training is going to be a breeze (*knocks on wood).  But I am just going to have to refrain because the moment I start feeling great and letting the world know is the moment I risk putting myself at injury so until I cross that finish line on the last day of May there is going to be A LOT of knocking on wood on my part.

Is anyone else out there superstitious about anything?

The ‘easy 4 mile’ I had on the schedule this morning which much better then expected. I am usually slow in recovery from races, but my legs took off this morning and I finished my 4 miles in exactly 37 minutes with a feeling I could have done more.

I have also got into the habit of completing a nice deep stretching routine after my runs. I did 5-10 minutes of stretching the IT Band, Quads and Hamstring. I had done the same after my trail run and I really think that intense stretching has really made the difference. This is a new habit I hope to keep in the long run.

I dreamt last night about my Easter Scone I knew was going to make an appearance in my breakfast this morning.

DSCN0082

I had 1/2 of a Cranberry Scone with 1/2 cup of fluffy Egg Whites and some yummy Fruit Salad.

DSCN0084

The scone was definitely what dreams are made of. 🙂

1 VeggieGirl April 13, 2009 at 7:20 am

I’m superstitious about that stuff too – if I have an event coming up or something, I try not to dwell on it in fear of jinxing something, haha 😀

Mmm, scones.

HAPPY MONDAY!!

2 Allison April 13, 2009 at 7:26 am

I’m crazy superstitious! I’ll walk around saying I jinxed myself and my husbands like “that’s not even a jinx” – but I get so stressed!

You’ll be just fine for the marathon, and you’ll rock it out, just like you do with every other race 🙂

3 Mica April 13, 2009 at 7:28 am

Man, I knocked on wood so many times before my race last week. Except a few times, there was no wood, so I just knocked on my head because I’ve seen people do that in a weird, self-deprecating way. Oh well, guess it worked.

That scone does look dreamy.

4 Leanne April 13, 2009 at 7:44 am

I am sooo superstitious like that! It’s so true, as soon as you start to talk about stuff out loud, something goes wrong. LOL Keep at it, the marathon is getting close now!

5 Briana April 13, 2009 at 8:11 am

Oh boy is my mom superstitious. It seems like every dinner she says “knock on wood” about 5 times. I guess it can’t hurt though. Hopefully all that knocking will work out. Happy training!

6 Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 13, 2009 at 8:24 am

Oh I’m totally superstitious!! It kind of gets annoying sometimes 🙂
SCONES RULE!

7 Betsy April 13, 2009 at 8:29 am

I’ll take the other half of that scone. 🙂

I hope the last leg of the training does go well – keep on knockin’ though, I do the same thing!

8 Danielle April 13, 2009 at 8:46 am

I am so superstitious with certain things, I knock on wood all the time.
That scone looks so delicious!

9 Adi (oatonomy.com - now repaired!) April 13, 2009 at 8:50 am

Haha I love that… “the scone is what dreams are made of”. Thanks for a laugh 🙂

10 Wiggs April 13, 2009 at 8:59 am

My college water polo team won nationals 2 out of the 4 years that I was on it and we all used to carry around little blocks of wood to knock on every time we talked about winning. It was ridiculous. But at least it worked!

11 Matt April 13, 2009 at 9:15 am

Stretching does a body good. Try getting a foam roller or “the stick”. Works wonders!

12 ksgoodeats April 13, 2009 at 9:41 am

Funny you should mention stretching – I just posted about it! When I was training I was SO superstitious (same underwear – washed of course hah, same food, same routine before)!

PS. I love your dad’s adult Easter egg hunt!

13 brandi April 13, 2009 at 9:42 am

yeah, I try not to say stuff like that, too. I always feel like I jinx myself!

nice that it was a good run today!

14 Sharon April 13, 2009 at 9:56 am

Hahaha, I’m pretty superstitious too!

15 gina (fitnessista) April 13, 2009 at 9:57 am

i’m totally superstitious too! about weird stuff, like i have “lucky shirts” and “unlucky shirts”
the scone looks like 100% foodgasm.
have a great day <3

16 Nicole April 13, 2009 at 10:31 am

I have weird superstitions with numbers, haha!

Have a good day! Mmmm, scones!

17 Niki April 13, 2009 at 10:44 am

I get superstitious too! That scone looks awesome!!

18 bobbi April 13, 2009 at 10:47 am

hey lady you are smart just keep up the stretching!!!! THAT IS SOOO IMPORTANT:)

19 snackface April 13, 2009 at 10:49 am

Ooh I love the scone! I am definitely superstitious. Or when I feel something good is going to happen, I’m afraid to talk about it too much for fear it won’t come true. Have a great Monday!

20 runsarah April 13, 2009 at 11:04 am

I say knock on wood a lot, I’m not too superstituous though. That scone looks perfect for a monday breakfast!

21 Sarah April 13, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Just out of curiosity, what sort of training plan are you on? Aren’t you nervous that it’s just over a month away and the most you’ve run is 15 miles? I would be!

22 Meghann April 13, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I’m following the Team In Training program. Unfortunately it is built around beginning runners who are not looking to PR or anything. It does make me very nervous that it’s a little more then a month before the race and the farthest distance I’ve done has been 15 miles, but I have put my faith in their program so I will see if I succeed. I think next time I will rely on a prgram built towards speed rather then completion.

23 Melissa S. April 13, 2009 at 5:09 pm

dude, totally with you on the superstitions…but i think mine is more of a paranoia. hahaha. i’m always getting hurt dangit!

24 Emily April 13, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Glad you’re feeling good so far!
Your Easter scone looks really good! I need to find a good recipe for scones.

25 Alison April 13, 2009 at 6:38 pm

I’ve never been a “knock on wood” person but I have loads of superstitions. Luckily, they’ve decreased as I got older. I used to do some really weird things!