Swimming in Sweat

by Meghann on April 1, 2009

Thanks to my first experience with Bikram Yoga this afternoon, I now know what it is like to literally be able to swim in your own sweat. I arrived home tonight starving, exhausted and drenched to the bone. Talk about taking yoga to a whole other level.

Before yoga I took everyone’s advice and made sure to eat my afternoon snack around 3:00, giving my body at least 3 hours to digest before Bikram.

I wanted a larger snack to hold me over through the intense yoga and into a later dinner so I went with a Multi Grain Eggo topped with the last of my Cashew Butter and some Orange Vanilla Awesome Almonds.

DSCN3395.JPG

It was the perfect size at the perfect time. It kept me full through class without giving me a belly ache.

After work I met up with my new friend, Kristen, at Bikram Orlando for the 90 minute 6:00 class. I got the friend of a friend discount and forked over $5.00 for the class. The one thing that has deterred me away from Bikram in the past is the heft price tag per class. If I were to go back the class would cost me $15.00 unless I bought one of the many packages they offer when you buy the classes in bulk for a slight discount.

The first thing I noticed about the studio was the distinct smell, but I guess if you crank the heat up and fill the room to the brim with several sweaty yogis for several hours out of the day, the room is bound to stink.

The class started with some intense breathing exercises then dove into 26 different poses where you repeat each pose two times. I was a newbie and wasn’t sure what pose was next, but luckily I was next to Kristen who was a Bikram expert and did every pose perfectly. I struggled with some flexibility poses, but was able to hold the balance poses without much swaying.

By the end of the class, I had drank a full bottle of water, had drenched my towel and was thankful I had only worn the itty bitty spandex shorts and sports bra. I felt thoroughly stetched, but not sore. Throughout the class I definitely felt my heart race and come back down in perfected intervals.

In the end I liked how the class was as challenging as you pushed it. As a beginner I was able to learn the poses and do them somewhat effectively, but I could see those who were more advance take the pose to a whole higher level that really pushed it. I like how it stretched me in places I didn’t know I could stretch and how I felt like I was pulling my body longer.

I did not like sweating that much, my eyes were burning from the salt. I don’t like the heft price tag. And I don’t like how they do the session every class. I like variety and I think if I did the same thing every day I would be bored.

In the end I would probably go back, but not on a regular basis. πŸ™‚

I was surprised how I wasn’t completey starving as soon as class was over. But as soon as I got in the car and started driving home, I felt the thirst come and the hunger build. BY the time I walked in the door I could have drank a gallon of water and ate the contents of my fridge.

Luckily I had thought ahead the night before and roasted up some Sweet Potatoes, Onion, Brussel Sprouts, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, & Mushrooms.

DSCN3398.JPG

I layered the Roasted Veggies on top of some Bashtimi Rice then on top of that had Spicy Tomato Sauce and Pinto Beans.

DSCN3399.JPG

I ate this way too quickly and gave myself a tummy ache, but it was sooo good and I was too hungry not too. I need to learn to breath between bites. πŸ™‚

After my tummy ache died down I pulled out Danica’s Mock Tag-A-Longs, Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs, & Pecan Bark for a sweet treat to my day.

DSCN3403.JPG

THese treat are very dangerous in my fridge. πŸ™‚

Speaking of treats, don’t forget to enter my Erin Baker’s Giveaway and win yourself some Breakfast Cookies or Granola!

Baker’s Spotlight…

Pearl from Fresh & Pure is a newbie to the Blogging Bake Sale, but don’t let her novice approach fool you. She has some baking talent up her sleeves that once again as others of the Blog World raving.

Take Sarah for instance from lovIN my Tummy. She received a package of Almond Brittle in her Secret Valentines gift from Pearl and did not but rave on and on about it. I believe the direct quote was β€œβ€œOh my heckengolly. This is the best brittle I have ever had. Ever. That is saying a lot coming from a girl who has had homemade peanut brittle every Christmas since she can remember. It was perfect, not too sweet, not sticky at all and nuttier than Gary Busey.”

1 haya April 1, 2009 at 8:15 pm

thanks for the review. i have never gotten up the courage to go to a bikram class. i suspect i would hate it. i don’t handle heat well at all (i get SO claustrophobic in the sauna. especially the wet ones) and my yoga skills are still only fit for my personal consumption. yogadownload to the rescue! but i know so many people that absolutely love it, so who am i to judge.

2 fitforfree April 1, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Bikram is such an amazing mind/body workout, but definitely way too expensive!! Way to plan ahead and make din yesterday!

3 Derek April 1, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Slowwww down and enjoy the food. If you don’t, I’m going to take your spoon/fork away for 1-2 minutes between bites πŸ™‚

4 Bec April 1, 2009 at 8:32 pm

I agree, while I love hot yoga, its way too expensive for me to do on a regular bases!

5 redheadyellowdog April 1, 2009 at 8:39 pm

great review of the class!! I’m definitely looking forward to giving it a try next week!

and I agree about the price…why pay for a good sweat session when you can hit the pavement for a free one?? But once and a while it’s fun!

6 Emily April 1, 2009 at 8:41 pm

That class sounds cool! I dont like sweating so much either…BUT I like the idea of getting a nice workout! Awesome treats at the end there! πŸ˜€

7 NAOmni April 1, 2009 at 8:43 pm

The sweet treat looks delicious!

NAOmni

8 lisaheartspizza April 1, 2009 at 9:20 pm

I’m so jealous of the bikram! I’ve always wanted to try it! I am saddened by the hefty price tags of yoga classes. In college I was able to sign up for 50$ for UNLIMITED classes for one semester. I did a lot of wonderful yoga and miss it so!

9 Sharon April 1, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Oh wow, I totally want those scrumptious treats!

10 Molly April 1, 2009 at 9:31 pm

interesting review of yoga, thanks. it seems like you have been working out a ton more lately– is there a reason? for eg today you did sprints, the shred, and 90mins of bikram yoga….

11 Meghann April 2, 2009 at 6:01 am

I’m training for m upcoming Marathon and am just trying to make sure my body is in the best shape possible for it πŸ™‚

12 Meg April 1, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Sounds like a good class, but I don’t think I would want to sweat that much.

Yummy dinner.

13 Adi (oatonomy.com - now repaired!) April 1, 2009 at 10:05 pm

I also don’t breathe between bites! I’m a food inhaler when I’m hungry. πŸ™‚

Thanks for the yoga recap. I’ve wondered about that kind myself… sometimes it’s refreshing to read a post about *not* being into a certain activity. Seems more real life that way!

14 Danica April 1, 2009 at 10:15 pm

I don’t know how I’d do with the room being hot in yoga. I think it would take away from the experience for me, maybe? hmmmm….

Your dinner looks fabulous and I am so glad you are enjoying the treats!!! Now you know why I had to give them all away….they just kept jumping on my plate πŸ™‚

You might need a refill though after the Bake Sale πŸ˜‰

15 carolinebee April 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm

I JUST posted about my first bikram experience and my opinion was SO similar to yours! The smell and cost have deterred me from going back…but lately (it was about 2 weeks ago) I have found myself wanting to relive the sweat fest, just because it was so cleansing or something?? I’ll prob go back this week, i’m interested to see if that happens to you! πŸ˜€

16 runsarah April 1, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Thanks for the review! The cost has what deterred me too..studios here are at least $100/month, which is just too much for me right now.

17 Sarah April 2, 2009 at 12:13 am

I was just scrolling down to read the comments and then saw my name!

I have been DREAMING about Pearl’s almond brittle ever since I had it. I may just have to bid.

And I’m hot and sweaty just reading about your experience. It actually makes running sound pretty darn good.

I talked to Chris more about the WDW marathon tonight…I’ll start looking into it…

18 VeggieGirl April 2, 2009 at 7:22 am

This is why I’m not a fan of Bikram, haha πŸ˜‰

Hooray for Pearl!!

19 Holly April 2, 2009 at 7:46 am

Thanks for the review…so many people LOVE Bikram, and I’m super curious about it! It’s good to hear the other side of it.

Mmmm – I could in no way resist those sweet treats! You deserve it though. πŸ™‚

20 Danielle April 2, 2009 at 7:51 am

Thanks for the review of Bikram it’s so expensive around here.
Those sweet treats look delicious, I would be all over those mock tagalongs!

21 Sarah W. April 2, 2009 at 7:58 am

I’m glad you enjoyed the Bikram!!! Yum on that dinner!!! quick easy and simple – love it.

22 Kath April 2, 2009 at 8:09 am

Thanks for the review. I have a feeling I’d agree with you πŸ™‚

Love the looks of that bowl of delicious combo foods too!

23 brandi April 2, 2009 at 8:21 am

glad you enjoyed the bikram! that’s one thing keeping me from doing more yoga – I would much rather go to a class than do it by myself, but I can’t afford them!

24 Jess April 2, 2009 at 11:37 am

I was looking forward to this post in particular (your blog is my quick little reward at work…weird, I know, sry) to see how you liked Bikram. You summed it up pretty well I think. I also find the limited poses frustrating, since there are over 300 poses (and tons more variations) in yogic practice, but at the same time comforting, or rather encouraging, when I feel I’m lagging or struggling at a moment I remind my self, “ok, only x poses until standing bow, or camel”… or which ever of my favorite poses is up next in the series. At the same time that is why I only go 1-2 a week, versus my other yoga classes that I attend 2-3 times a week. Yes, all yoga gets pricey after a while, but since I’ve been trying to eat out/go out to the bar less often, I just consider it my “unhealthy money” spent in a better way.
Enjoy and keep up the great blog!
PS. Not all studios smell like that….bummer that yours did.

25 Krissy - Shiawase Life February 6, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I love Bikram – when I lived in Orlando, I got hooked at Bikram Yoga West Orlando:

Amazing studio and people!
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..Oh happy day!