Fruit Snack

by Meghann on March 31, 2009

Recently I started cutting back on my fruit intake. I LOVE fruit, but I thought I was eating way too much of it during the day so I tried to limit it to breakfast only.

I don’t know why I started doing this, all the reasoning that went into my head doesn’t even make sense anymore. I say screw it. If I want to, I am going to eat a Pear for a snack and be happy with it.

So I ate a Pear.

DSCN3348

It was wonderful.

However, my lunch didn’t consist of any fruit, which made me sad. 🙁 In fact I just noticed it did not even have a pretty vegetable in it. Bad Meghann!

DSCN3350

I pull a container of Red Lentil Peanut Butter Soup out of the freezer this morning to defrost.

DSCN3356

After a quick zap in the microwave the soup was back to its creamy, delish self. I only wish I had some plain greek yogurt  to throw on top of it. I’m unsure how the vanilla Chobani would have been on it, so i decided against that little experiment.

On the side I had a few Harvest Wheat Crackers for crunch and some Jalapeno Cheese for a little spice.

DSCN3353

Even though I told myself not to do it, I snuck into the fridge for a piece of Danica’s Pecan Bark.

DSCN3358

These little bits of sweets at lunch is turning into a bad habit that I really, really need to stop. For some reason my mouth has got it in its mind that if I eat a meal, I need something sweet afterwards. I am determined to go the rest of the week without any sweet s after lunch. Now that I have put the challenge out there, i am hoping to be held responsible to follow through on it.

Baker’s Spotlight…

Which one of us have not drooled over the the many array of original Baked Goods and Cookie recipes found on the Carrots n Cake website? Well now you will have a chance to bid on a treat of you very own, no baking required.

Tina is setting an open invitation to the highest bidder to select any homemade goodie that has graced the pages of her blog over the past year. That’s right you have the choice of her famous Oatmeal Raisin Bars or Pumpkin Coconut Date Bars  or even Banana Oatmeal Chip Cookies. So come one, come all and be sure to bid on one her treats. 🙂

1 Lyss March 31, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Meghann! You ran 7 miles this morning! Give yourself a break; you deserve the right to satisfy your sweet tooth! 🙂

2 runsarah March 31, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I like having something sweet with my lunch too – I just can’t resist!

3 priscilla March 31, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Those crackers and jalopeno cheese looks divine. I’d love that right now! I love fruit too, but I should be eating more of it.

4 Mica March 31, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Why did you think you were eating too much fruit? It’s not like you were eating your weight in chocolate.

By all means, eat your fruit. You run so you can EAT WHAT YOU WANT. 🙂

5 Sarah March 31, 2009 at 12:37 pm

fruit for snack is SMART and HEALTHY … but i find myself limiting it, too! and then i end up eating a million candies instead. should have just had the fruit!

red lentil pb soup, yay!

6 brandi March 31, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I guess that’s one good thing about NOT going home for lunch! i don’t usually have sweets in the office for after lunch, but I would want one if I was at home, too.

7 Errign March 31, 2009 at 1:07 pm

I didn’t know you could eat too much fruit!

8 Amanda March 31, 2009 at 1:08 pm

My secret weapon against my after-lunch sweet tooth is my toothbrush! I brush my teeth as soon as I’m done eating before my brain can tell me otherwise.

9 karla March 31, 2009 at 1:11 pm

i love reading your blog! i have a quick question, can non-bloggers bid on items for the bake sale?

10 L.A. Daze March 31, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I strongly believe that you can never have too much fruit!

Although somebody did tell me once that mangos can make you fat. They’re my fave fruit though.

11 Susan March 31, 2009 at 1:21 pm

My mouth thinks it deserves a sweet snack after every meal too!! I try limiting myself to chocolate only in the morning (cause that’s when I like it best) and then do something like a date or a mint after dinner.

I also try to limit my fruit intake, but to two servings of fruit a day. That’s because if I didn’t, all six meals would be all fruit!! 😛

12 Tina March 31, 2009 at 1:22 pm

The Oatmeal Raisin Bars are SO GOOD! 🙂

13 Trish (girlatgym) March 31, 2009 at 1:43 pm

For a while I got way out of control with the fruit – I really had to cut back. But I like fruit 2-3 times a day. It’s so wonderful and yummy and good for you.

I know a woman who refuses to eat any fruit. OMG!! I don’t think that is wise at all.

14 Ryan (Chase Daylight) March 31, 2009 at 2:25 pm

You can never have too much fruit!! It’s just too good. And you ran a lot this morning so don’t beat yourself up about the sweets 🙂

15 Erin March 31, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Fruit is one of my faves too! I do try to limit it as well, but I should be less worried about it. Some of it doesn’t sit too well with me though!

16 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 31, 2009 at 2:50 pm

i LOVE fruit! I can’t get enough! I myself have tried to cut back a little too but if I want fruit, you can bet I’m gonna have it!

17 Amy March 31, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Re: fruit –I did the same thing a couple months back — rigorously cut back on fruit. Why? There were days that I was eating way too much fruit, but I also read a lot of articles about limiting fruit in a “clean diet.” Then in the last couple weeks, I realized that i’ve been overeating other carbs, nut butters, almonds, and other higher calorie/fat foods because those alternatives weren’t giving me the same satiety as fruit. Since reincorporating fruit moderately, I have been much happier and I think I have been mindlessly snacking less.
i guess it all comes down to listening to your body, and not other outside factors, such as magazines or even your own health-focused mind.

18 Erin March 31, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Isn’t it weird how we get these ideas in our heads about fruit? It’s like, the perfect food!
Let me know how the “no sweets after lunch” goes. I have that problem with dinner. And it’s a serious problem!

19 Marissa March 31, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Yay for spicy cheese!

20 shelby March 31, 2009 at 3:15 pm

I love fruit but I don’t eat as much as I used to. Probably only like 1 piece a day, I don’t even crave it!

21 Hallie March 31, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I totally agree with Amy. I also got into a “fruit isn’t the greatest” mentality, but I’m working on that…fruit is full of vitamins, fiber, and gives a healthy sweet fix! So much better than, say, Twix. I used to eat tons of fruit and no veggies, which isn’t great either, but it’s all about finding that balance, right? 🙂

22 Lynne March 31, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I love fruit-I eat at least 2-3 servings a day, and I go through friut cycles. One week it will be grapes and apples, the next will be strawberries and oranges. It just depends.

23 Emily March 31, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Wait…why were you limiting fruit?! I’m confused…but I like your new outlook on eating fruit whenever you want. 🙂

24 runningwithin March 31, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I’m a firm believer lots of fruit in a diet is a good thing! I typically eat 3 pieces a day and I’ve never had any negative side effects with it. Engoy your fruit, life is too short to not savor the deliciousness of fresh fruit!

As for snacking after lunch on something sweet, I’m the same way, my tips are to have a couple strawberries, their natural sweetness always seems to cure my sweet tooth or chew on gum for a little bit. Good luck on cutting back on the chocolate!

25 Meg March 31, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I feel that same way about fruit sometimes. I tend to eat 3 or 4, sometimes 5 servings in a day. But it’s fruit and I love it! So I eat as much as I want now! Have to love nature’s candy!

26 Sarah March 31, 2009 at 5:03 pm

You could combine the fruit and dessert goals, and have fruit after lunch. And yes, I am Captain Obvious.

27 ksgoodeats March 31, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Cheese and crackers – YUM! I’m the same way with veggies as you are with fruit. I feel like I eat too much but oh well! At least it’s healthy?

28 Bec March 31, 2009 at 5:11 pm

mmm that pecan bark looks so good, how could you not eat it!

29 Niki March 31, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I am the same way about sweets! I feel the need to have something sweet after lunch and dinner! I wish I could stop but I just don’t have enough willpower! Haha

30 lisaheartspizza March 31, 2009 at 5:42 pm

i know what you mean about sweets! it becomes a habit sooooo quickly! my meal doesnt feel finished sometimes if i don’t have a mint/sweet thing. then i need to remind myself that it is and i don’t really neeeed it! maybe you can up your fruit intake and satisfy your sweet tooth by having a piece of dried fruit after lunch? healthy and sweeet!

31 Krista March 31, 2009 at 5:54 pm

OMG, doesn’t that soup rock?! I made a batch, too and love heating up the portions that I froze for quick lunches!!

32 Danielle March 31, 2009 at 7:30 pm

That soup sounds so good!
I tried to cut back on fruits a while ago and realized that some days I wasn’t eating any, I’d much rather have an extra piece then go a day with out any.

33 Hangry Pants March 31, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I eat A LOT of fruit. I guess it’s a lot of sugar and I should opt for veggies sometimes, but I just can’t stop myself!

haha – I am not sure the vanilla chobani would be v. good on that soup. 😀

34 Marianne March 31, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Lunch sounds good to me – it doesn’t always have to be pretty/colourful to be good 😀