Can't Win Them All

by Meghann on March 28, 2009

Not every run is going to be your best and this morning I learned just how true this is. This morning was a struggle to say the least, but I survived.

I guess I can trace my offness this morning back to my early morning hunger. For the first time before a run I was not hungry. This is very strange for me! I ended up eating about 1/3 of this Odwalla Bar, which actually tasted good, I just was not hungry.

DSCN3193.JPG

I met my Team in Training group out our group run at the West Orange Trail Head in Winter Garden.

DSCN3194.JPG

This was a new trail for me and I really enjoyed how it takes you through downtown Winter Garden. WInter Garden is a small cute suberb of Orlando and the downtown area was being set up for their Saturday morning Farmers Market.

One of my Team Leaders had e-mailed me this week letting me know she would run with me this week so I would have a running partner and that she was planning on doing 15 miles. I have been struggling finding someone to run with in my Team so I was really excited when she asked. However, after we had stretched and everyone was ready to hit the trail, she was no where to be found. Bummer. So I set out to tackle the 15 miles on my own.

The first couple of miles I was flying and felt great, but then for no reason at all I felt blue and it hit me how many miles I was planning on running. The run went from easy to a struggle and I had to constantly give myself pep talks to keep going. I ended up only completing 13 of my original 15 planned and should be thankful I was able to complete that.

Running Stats:

• Distance: 13.0 miles
  • Time: 2:01:20
  • Avg Pace: 9:20
  • Avg HR: 168
  • Max HR: 182
  • Calories Burned: 1263

The last 3 miles were especially a struggle and I kept thinking how much I just wanted to walk. I really, really need a running partner for these longer runs. Sometimes you just need that extra encouragement. I also need to let go of this disappointment in myself for not being able to do all 15. In the back of my head is a little voice telling me I didn’t succeed, I know this mind set is not healthy.

Luckily as I was leaving I was talking to another TNT member who was running at about a 10 minute mile pace and she seemed to need a running partner as much as I do. I think I am going to take all of your advice and bring my pace down just a tad so that I can have a new friend to run with. This gives me encouragement for next week.

When I got back to my car luckily my hunger had returned and I was STARVING. I had packed an Orange in my car this morning for this very reason.

DSCN3196.JPG

Last night I made a Breakfast Cookie so I could have something quick to eat when I returned. I used 1/2 cup of Oats, Applesauce, Almond Butter, Goji Berries and Chocolate Chips for my cookie.

DSCN3200.JPG

Can you tell I was really hungry when I pulled the cookie out? I added 1/2 container of Oikos Vanilla Yogurt, Strawberries and some Peanut Butter Puffs on top.

DSCN3199.JPG

THe extra additions made this the best breakfast cookie yet!

Now I need to Shower and get on the road. I’m heading to my parents neck of the woods for the rest of the weekend.

If you are looking for a good laugh check out Nate’s ‘Perez Hilton’ take on the blog world. I may make a little cameo in the entry and when I read it I was laughing so hard I was tears.

Baker’s Spotlight…

Mallory from a Bacon Wrapped Life has some baking talents I ill never be able to touch upon. The goods she has graciously offered up for bid, look so good I am considering bidding myself!

And our friend Dori is more then happy to vouch on Mallory’s behalf. Last month she received a wonderful batch of Mallory’s Carob Almond Butter Cups for her birthday. I believe there was story in there about her eating them straight from the box on her way home from the mailbox? πŸ˜‰ Oh yeah, they had to be good!

1 Sarah March 28, 2009 at 9:47 am

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am training for my first half in May. I’ve been struggling with shin splints off/on for the past few weeks. On two runs I’ve had to stop after only a mile or two and walk back home. It is so frustrating and then I feel angry with myself for “not sticking with my plan”. I try to tell myself, at least I did the best I could with what I had to work with and this is supposed to be fun, not torture! I definitely think trying to run with someone else is worth a shot to see if you enjoy the long run more. BTW, you are a totally inspiring runner to me!

2 Melissa S. March 28, 2009 at 10:03 am

Hey hun, don’t worry about that run. I mean, running 13 miles is hard enough! I know it can be very hard to run that kind of distance by yourself but you’re doing a great job and I think cutting those last two miles out wasn’t such a bad thing. sometimes the mentality of a run is just something you have to give into. It’s not something to be disappointed in yourself about! Like I said, you ran 13! that’s amazing in itself!

but make sure you get in MORE MORE MORE food today! All this training w/ the tri and races and stuff…gotta fuel up lady! email if you want any pointers for eating for marathon training like we talked about earlier…cause i think you def need to be getting in more cals!

have a great time at the parents!!

3 Erin March 28, 2009 at 10:20 am

You ran 13, nothing to scoff at!! I can’t imagine running that far. But it is amazing how much running can vary from day to day. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

4 Danica March 28, 2009 at 10:32 am

Meghann ~ It is so true that some runs are not your best and you shouldn’t be so hard on yourself. I totally agree that for your long runs you need a running partner – I don’t think I would’ve survived without mine. I hope it works out with the TNT girl you talked to. 10 minutes isn’t a bad pace to keep at for the entire marathon.

Another idea…I know you are probably supposed to train with TNT, but, have you looked at your local running groups? I ran with Fleet Feet (not sure if you have them in Florida) for all my long runs. Maybe you can check them out as another option if you can’t find a running partner.

You did awesome today – whenever you start to have the voices come back into your head….just tell someone you ran 13 miles today and watch their reaction.

Have a fun weekend!

5 Lauren March 28, 2009 at 10:40 am

Hi Meghann, I have been reading your blog for about a month now, but just realized that I have not yet commented. So, quickly, I just wanted to say hello and tell you how much I enjoy and appreciate your blog! I find your healthy, holistic approach to life to be very inspiring.

I also wanted to let you know that, as a fellow runner, I know intimately the feeling that you have let yourself down by not meeting your goal for a particular run. Times like this, it is important to focus on what you DID accomplish (13 miles!), and figure out what you can do differently next time to meet your goal. We are *always* our own worst critics! Go easy on yourself…you did a great job this morning, and will have many successful and more enjoyable runs in the near future.

Take care!

6 runsarah March 28, 2009 at 10:53 am

13 miles is still so awesome! I will be so happy when I can run that distance. I agree havinga partner helps so much though, to keep motivated and to keep on pace. That bfast cookie looks great…anything is better with yog & fruit on top!

7 Sarah March 28, 2009 at 10:58 am

You are still inspiring to me! I’d have pushed you those last few miles. You should still be proud though!

Have a good day, Meg!

8 marafaye March 28, 2009 at 11:04 am

I wouldn’t have been able to get my mind around running that distance, let alone actually doing it!

Have a great Saturday!

9 Marissa March 28, 2009 at 11:14 am

PB Puffins make eevrything better. I think you did awesome on your run!!

10 Meredith March 28, 2009 at 11:15 am

when i did my first marathon with TnT, i had the same problem…no one ran at my pace. your long runs are supposed to be at a slower pace anyway, so i slowed down a bit and joined up with another girl who ran a 10min pace. it worked out great! i loved chatting with her for our saturday runs and we became great friends. i also continued to run on the weekdays at my normal pace. once we got up into longer distances, > 14 miles, i would run with her for 10 miles or so and then speed up for the last 5-10 miles (having my iPod helped!). i found this also worked well, since i wasn’t alone the majority of the time and then because i had been running a slower pace, i was really able to kick it in the last miles!!

keep at it, not every run is going to feel great and 13 miles is a lot more than most everyone else is going to do with their saturday πŸ™‚

11 bobbi March 28, 2009 at 11:59 am

great job dear! I am glad you found someone to run with even if you have to run a bit slower its so much better having a running buddy!!!!

12 Mica March 28, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I’m sorry about your struggled finish. I hope your running buddy works out. It really makes a world of difference! (You can always try Craig’s List– that worked for me!)

Thanks for the encouraging comment on my blog! It meant a lot, lady!

13 Sammie March 28, 2009 at 1:04 pm

You did an AWESOME job today!! My Uncle actually lives in Winter Garden and I think that I have roller bladed that trail before. I hope you have a great weekend.

14 VeggieGirl March 28, 2009 at 1:24 pm

No worries, dear Meghann – you were still able to run PERIOD, so that’s great!! And I’m glad that you liked the new trail

15 Dori March 28, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Thank you so much for the great bit on Mallory! She lives with my brother and I hope she becomes my sister one day because she practically already is.

The carob almond butter cups were wonderful of course, but even better was when she made me cookie crusted peanut butter cups! Those were heaven in my mouth like nothing else ever before.

And it was her delicious banana bread I ate from the box — she really is THAT good. She forbid me from bidding on her but I don’t know if I will be able to help myself.

16 Susan March 28, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Ah! We are like eating twinsies! I had a breakfast cookie this morning too!

Don’t beat yourself up about the run. Like you said, you should be happy you even completed 13 miles. Sometimes we just have off days, unfortunately yours was on your long day. Completing 13 miles is something to be proud of!!! Hopefully your new running buddy helps. I think slowing down your pace is worth it if it makes the run more enjoyable πŸ™‚

17 Dori March 28, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Oh and 13 miles is amazing regardless! I hope to be able to run 3 outside when the weather here gets nice! Also, level 2 of shred is killing me and you seem to be handling it much better than I am!

18 verbalriot March 28, 2009 at 1:48 pm

13 miles is BEYOND ME! I’m reading up some running advice and all of the sources I read say “you will have good days and bad days.” I know as an experienced runner you already know this πŸ™‚

But you’re great, if not today, another day!

19 ksgoodeats March 28, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Aw sorry your run didn’t go as planned πŸ™ You’re a fabulous runner anyway!

The toppings on that breakfast cookie look scrumptious!!

20 Brandi March 28, 2009 at 2:10 pm

having a running partner definitely helps – I run about a 10 minute mile, and my husband can (and does) run a lot faster without me, but he usually runs with me just so we have someone to talk to. I’m not running anything longer than 3 miles right now, but I know I’ll want him along with me when I do start running longer distances. I hope it works out with that other girl! It would be nice to have her as a running partner on the longer runs.

21 Biz March 28, 2009 at 2:33 pm

OMG, do not feel disappointed about ONLY going 13 miles – you are doing great!!!

Hope you have fun with your rents!

22 Quinn March 28, 2009 at 2:39 pm

13 miles is great! I remember with a lot of my training with TnT that I struggled with some of my longer runs…But it’s definitely a good idea to bring down your pace for the long runs, and a 10-minute mile is perfect for that!

23 Erin March 28, 2009 at 3:21 pm

13 miles is a great run, be proud of yourself!! A running buddy will definitely make a big difference in motivating you – I hope that other girl works out. Also, I would honestly recommend eating more before such a long run, even if you’re not very hungry. Your body needs fuel or you’re just going to bonk out there.

24 inmytummy March 28, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Sometimes having runs that just aren’t that great make you really appreciate the ones that are. I agree with slowing down your pace a bit so you have a training partner. You can always do speedwork during the week and speed it up during the marathon if you feel like you want to.

25 Sarah March 28, 2009 at 3:27 pm

sorry you’re disappointed about today’s run! i’m glad you’re trying not to be hard on yourself — you’re doing what you have to do and making adjustments so that next time is more enjoyable. enjoy your weekend with the family!

26 Holly March 28, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Sorry you were bummed about your run – but you still rocked it and finished in a great time! I think it’s a wonderful idea to run with the 10 minute mile girl (nice name, huh) πŸ™‚ – you can still do your shorter runs at your normal pace, too.

Keep up the great work, girl!

27 kristi March 28, 2009 at 4:25 pm

I know it is hard when you don’t complete the amount that you set out to complete, but girl, 13 miles is AMAZING!! Congrats!

Hope you and the new running buddy get along great together! πŸ™‚

28 Nicole March 28, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I definitely understand the feeling of how tough it can be to feel like you’ve let yourself down, but you are amazing, lady! 13 miles is fantastic! I truly look up to you and your abilities.

Have a great day!

29 Bec March 28, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Sorry you had a disappointing run today, but hopefully you’ll get to run with that other team member next week!

30 gina (fitnessista) March 28, 2009 at 5:36 pm

ahhh i wish you would have called me! i would have trucked out those miles with you!
hope the rest of your weekend goes well πŸ˜€

31 lilveggiepatch March 28, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Sorry about your bum run, but at least you got a running partner out of it.

That breakfast cookie looks so freaking good right now!

32 Amy C. March 28, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Sorry about your run but I still think you did amaaaaazing! You’re my running inspiration. Right now I’m only at about 2 miles but I am determined to one day get up to 13! If I do, I will come to Florida and make you run with me. πŸ˜›

33 jane March 28, 2009 at 6:47 pm

i’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy the run too much, but please don’t belittle your accomplishment. 13 miles is FABULOUS and it’s awesome that you pounded out that many despite feeling crappy. you are an amazing, inspiring runner so don’t tell yourself anything else!

34 Kirsten March 28, 2009 at 7:33 pm

I think 13 miles is great! Just think, that is about a half a marathon! =) I wish I could get my long distance in…. we have a foot of snow in Kansas! =(

35 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) March 28, 2009 at 9:59 pm