The Hardest Part About Running

by Meghann on March 26, 2009

I remember taking a poll somewhere one time where it asked What the Hardest part About Running is? Well, for me its walking out the door.

I have no problem getting up or getting dressed, but for some reason walking out the door that early morning breeze is the killer. Once my Garmin has locked in a satellite signal and my feet start to move, I am fine and could run for hours. It’s the whole getting start thing that is the toughest part.

My calves were very sore this morning so I took my 6.17 mile run very easy and kept a gentle 9:30 pace. When I returned I knew I needed a good stretch so I did Polly’s quick 10 minute Yoga for Runners and gave my legs the stretch that they needed.

I believe I have finally mastered the great and powerful Breakfast Cookie.

DSCN3143

The secret is to not measure the liquids! Every recipe I check gave different measurements so I was going back and forth trying to find the one that was perfect for me. last night I said to hell with measuring my apple sauce and almond butter and instead just added enough to get a crumbly, sticky consistency. The results were perfection.

DSCN3144

My breakfast cookie had 1/2 cup Oats, Dried Goji Berries, Mini Chocolate Chips, Cinnamon and just enough Apple Sauce (a couple of spoonfuls) and Almond Butter (spoonful) so that the mix stuck together. On top I had some Mango and Pineapple to give the cookie a tropical feel. 🙂

Baker Spotlight….

This morning’s Baker Spotlight is spotlighting the hilarious Heather from Hangry Pants. Heather is a sweet, down to earth blogger, who I have had the pleasure of getting to know over the past couple of months not only through her blog, but through personal e-mail exchanges as well.

Back in January I was even lucky enough to receive a package from Heather in which she sent me some of her scrumptious Ricotta Chocolate Chip Cookies. I manage to savor the cookies over the next two weeks and would not share with anyone, they were too good.

During the previous Blogging Bake Sale Jenn from Eatting Bender and Amelia from Highway to Health were the lucky winner’s of Heather’s creations. If you want more proof that Heather’s baked goods are worth buying check out Jenn’s review of heather’s Mixed Brown Bread and Amelia’s of the Olive Oil Muffins. Yum!

1 Trish (girlatgym) March 26, 2009 at 7:51 am

Your cookie looks wonderful – especially the fruit. I am such a fan of mango. And I agree that getting started is, on some days, the really tough part.

2 Nicole March 26, 2009 at 8:07 am

I have been meaning to try breakfast cookie making.

I love the baker spotlight! It’s a very cute idea!

3 VeggieGirl March 26, 2009 at 8:11 am

LOOOVE that breakfast cookie!!

Hooray for Heather!! SO glad she’s participating in the bake sale.

4 Lee March 26, 2009 at 8:19 am

I agree about the getting started being the hardest part. Also, the first two miles are always much tougher for me than any of the others.

5 Krista March 26, 2009 at 8:21 am

Just checked out your training page!!! You’re doing great with your donations…hopefully this next bake sale will push you way over the edge!!! 🙂

6 jane March 26, 2009 at 8:38 am

oh man i totally agree with you about getting out the door- it’s so funny how those first couple of steps can be the hardest! sometimes it even takes a mile or so for me to get into my groove, but i always tell myself that i’ll be glad i stuck it out, and i always am!

7 Bec March 26, 2009 at 8:49 am

My friend has a quote on her fridge, “if you had put on your shoes and left when you first thought of going for a run, it would be over by now”.

8 brandi March 26, 2009 at 9:01 am

i love all the baker spotlights!

9 Amanda March 26, 2009 at 9:06 am

I completely agree with you! For me it’s getting out of bed and THEN getting out the door. When I’m strapping on my ipod, I’m like “ughhh”. Way to get it done!! Any YUM on that cookie!

10 Rose March 26, 2009 at 9:10 am

Great job on your run today. I know what you mean about walking out the door – and that cold air hitting you in the face. That, combined with the fact that I HATE waking up, makes me an evening runner 🙂 Though I wish I had the urge to get up and go in the morning.

Great Baker Spotlight – Heather is great 🙂

11 ksgoodeats March 26, 2009 at 9:34 am

Glad you’ve perfected the breakfast cookie 🙂 Looks great!!

12 Yasmin March 26, 2009 at 9:45 am

The hardest part of running is the effect it has on my knees.

13 Matt March 26, 2009 at 10:09 am

For me, the hardest part about running is getting my butt out of bed. Once I am up, I know that I WANT to run. I set my coffee make at night and it turns on 7 minutes before I get up. Once I hear that sound, I usually have no problem getting up 😉

14 biz319 March 26, 2009 at 10:22 am

I love Heather and Mark’s blog, especially her recent video taste test of Greek Yogurt!

And I think most people have that problem – but once you get going, there’s no stopping you!

15 Sara March 26, 2009 at 10:27 am

Yum, your breakfast cookie looks tasty.

16 Danielle March 26, 2009 at 10:31 am

Anybody who goes running before work is my hero, I just can’t do it!
Your breakfast cookie looks great, I’ll be making one of those this weekend for sure.

17 Sarah March 26, 2009 at 10:34 am

I swear, every morning it is a STRUGGLE to get out that door, but once I get about 15 minutes in, I’m fine. Its even worse now that I’m trying not to drink 1/2 a pot of coffee before heading out. I’m thinking a cattle prod might help things out.

18 Marissa March 26, 2009 at 10:54 am

Oats and pineapple are a great combo!

19 runsarah March 26, 2009 at 11:12 am

I love the tropical breakfast cookie! I hate walking out into the cold and warming up for the first few minutes with the worry of ‘can I finish?’ I usually don’t feel really great until 15-20 minutes into a run.

20 Hallie March 26, 2009 at 11:15 am

The hardest part for me is totally is getting out of my warm bed and leaving my sweetie behind to go work out. I just feel so TIRED 98% of the time when I wake up, but then once I actually get going, it’s great, of course.

I still haven’t tried the breakfast cookie. I think I’ve been hestitant because I’m not the greatest fan of overnight oats and these seem like they’d be about the same in consistency and flavor. Maybe this weekend though, just like Danielle, I’ll give it a go.

21 Amelia March 26, 2009 at 11:28 am

Totally agree with you on the hardest part of running. Once I’m out the door I’m SO happy I went, but sometimes I have to be dragged out of the house!

Oh, and yes, Heather’s Olive Oil Muffins were amazing! I’m so glad I got to meet her recently and praise her cooking skills in person! 🙂
Can’t wait for the next bake sale!

22 Haleigh March 26, 2009 at 11:36 am

I am always kinda nervous to try a breakfast cookie because I am afraid I will mess it up and have to through it out! Thanks for the tip 🙂

23 runningwithin March 26, 2009 at 11:41 am

The hardest part about running is definitely walking out the front door in the morning for me. Something about that cold, dark world outside always brings out the inner whiny runner in me. The best tip I have is to just do it, I tell myself that if ten minutes into it I want to turn around I can, but of course ten minutes into it I’m rocking and rolling in those fabulous endorphins and can run forever : )

24 Ryan (Chase Daylight) March 26, 2009 at 11:52 am

That’s how I make my breakfast cookie too…way easier that way and they come out great!

The hardest part of running for me is the first 2 miles. I never feel good during the first 2, but once I get going I could run forever!

25 Mica March 26, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Mmm, breakfast cookies! And I agree that getting started is the hardest part. On rare occasions, I’ve been known to take off my running gear and put back on my lounging clothes. So bad!

26 Lauren March 26, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I have those same snowflake plates! I’m excited that it’s almost time to put them away… yay spring!

27 Danielle March 26, 2009 at 12:40 pm

As much as I was convinced that I wouldn’t like running nor be any good at it, I’ve got to agree! Just getting out the door is always the hardest part! Then I end up doing something I’ve come to love and feel accomplished for the many hours to come :).

28 flavprice March 26, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Hi Meghann – I read your blog pretty much everyday…I found it through Caitlin’s – your recipes are awesome…my friend and I just started one if you’re interested: http://fromthelittleacorntothebigapple.wordpress.com/
-Joanna

29 shelby March 26, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Fabulous breakfast cookie!!!

30 Wiggs March 26, 2009 at 1:17 pm

OMG I had a hiatus from being able to read all of my fave blogs and I just read like 10 of your posts in one sitting! I missed you!!!! 🙂

Also I’m jealous that the hardest part about running is just stepping out the door! That’s just the first battle for me…then there’s the inner battle when I feel the first hint of sweat, and the war when I start to breathe hard, and the fight when I get bored/tired/sore/frustrated…

Yeah. I need to work on that.

31 wholefoodswholeme March 26, 2009 at 6:24 pm

i have to agree with you – looking out into the miserable & rainy weather as it was this morning, it was SO hard not to stay glued to my warm house! if you think it gets cold and horrible in florida, think about the ever-foggy london!!

you bfast looks super 🙂

32 RuntoFinish March 26, 2009 at 8:39 pm

I haven’t tried the breakfast cookie, yet but everyone keeps talking about it so I may have to!

33 Hangry Pants March 27, 2009 at 8:25 am

Hi Meghann! Thank you so much for your kind words! I hope I can make you some money in the bake sale. 😀