Tempeh Burger

by Meghann on March 26, 2009

With the great success of Tempeh in my stir fry last night, today I wanted to try it in a sandwich form.

DSCN3149

I knew I wanted to use the last piece of my Pumpernickle bread, then upon digging in my fridge I decided Country Bob’s All Purpose Sauce, Swiss Cheese & Tomato would make a great addition to the tempeh as well. I had thrown the combo under the broiler for a few minutes to heat everything up and melt the cheese.

DSCN3147

It wasn’t until after I had my first bite did I realize I had unintentionally created a Tempeh Burger. Since the tempeh has such a mild flavor, the cheese, tomato and BBQ sauce took over the sandwich and I felt like I was eating a quarter pounder with cheese. I loved it.

DSCN3150

With my Tempeh Burger I enjoyed some Broccoli I had heated up in the microwave and a little Kosher Dill Pickle.

Mid-morning I had a wonderful sweet snack of Pumpkin Spice Trail Mix.

DSCN3146

Also, this morning for some reason a couple of co-workers and I were rehashing what we ate for breakfast. I told them I had an Oatmeal breakfast cookie and they looked at me with shocked eyes and said “Meghann, that’s so unlike you.” I then had to explain what my version of a breakfast cookie actually was and it all started to make sense to them. lol

Baker Spotlight….

I can relate to Bobbi at N Her Shoes in a countless number of ways. We have both overcome unhealthy habits to bring us to our happy weight, we both don’t mind waking up before the sunrise to get a good run in on an early Saturday morning, we both love to cook and we both are not bakers by any sense of the word.

However, Bobbi has decided to overcome her baking fears for my Blogging Bake Sale on April 6th to bake something that will make any runners dream come true. Head over to Bobbi’s blog today to check out what delicious healthy goodie Bobbi is offering up to the highest bidder. 🙂

1 Trish (girlatgym) March 26, 2009 at 1:41 pm

That’s funny – people hear the word cookie and they start thinking it’s got to be bad. 🙂

2 Tina March 26, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I have yet to try a breakfast cookie but I can imagine the looks I would get if I told someone I had a cookie for breakfast. Haha 🙂

3 Matt March 26, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Isn’t it spelled tempeh? not tempah?

Looks good though!

4 brandi March 26, 2009 at 2:14 pm

i’ve never tried tempeh. maybe I should?

5 Mica March 26, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Haha, I love that your co-workers had a cow about your “breakfast cookie”. Maybe you should introduce them to the recipe some time.

6 Marissa March 26, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Yum! I’ve never had tempeh before. I’ll need to find some!

7 runsarah March 26, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Your lunch looks incredibly good… If I hadn’t already set out chili to defrost for dinner I would be heating up some tempeh.

8 lauren (athlEAT) March 26, 2009 at 2:51 pm

so what does tempeh taste like? have seen it, but the look of it scared me.

9 Dawn March 26, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Hi Meghann! Long-time reader, first-time commenter. You many have mentioned it before, but I just HAVE to ask… where do you get the pumpkin spice trail mix? It looks sooo good, as does your tempeh burger! I’ll have to try that out! 🙂

10 Danielle March 26, 2009 at 3:05 pm

That looks delicious! so creative!

11 shelby March 26, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I still have yet to try tempeh but I think I will soon, it sounds tasty!

haha that’s so funny about the breakfast cookie =)

12 Sarah March 26, 2009 at 3:30 pm

I thought about sneaking some mini breakfast cookies into my parents’ fridge and telling them to have one for a snack in the evening. Why limit them to breakfast? They are very cookie like and if it keeps my dad from unhealthy snacks in the evening, why not, right?

13 Leah March 26, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Lunch looks divine!!!

yay for baking!

14 Heather Eats Almond Butter March 26, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Tempeh Quarter Pounder with Cheese – way to do it up right Meghann. I love tempeh, and I’m so glad you’re enjoying your first few experiences with it. It’s one of the few soy products that doesn’t bother my stomach…something about it being fermented I think.

Enjoy the rest of your day. Do you think any of your coworkers will try the Breakfast Cookie? 🙂

15 Missy (Missy Maintains) March 26, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Love the tempeh burger! I need to try that! My coworkers say stuff like that to me too. Like if I have a huge bowl of oats they think it’s bad for me!

16 ksgoodeats March 26, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I’ve never tried tempeh but your faux burger sounds SO GOOD!

17 lisaheartspizza March 26, 2009 at 5:39 pm

sweet burger…i shouted out the bake sale on my bloggie. and now i want some tempeh yum

18 Susan March 26, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Woot! I had a tempeh burger for lunch today!! It was also my first time trying tempeh, LOVED it.

19 NAOmni March 26, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Your breakfast looks awesome, but in regards to an earlier post…I LOVE coconut, but when I saw that water I thought Ugh! I’m kind of glad you confirmed my suspicion so I don’t feel the need to try it 🙂

NAOmni

20 bobbi March 26, 2009 at 11:16 pm

thanks for the SHOT OUT, i hope they bring in come MULA, My Co-workers loved them, they said they would even pay me to make them!!!WOW. Oh an loving the burger girl:)

21 regeya November 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Country Bob’s! I’ll have to try it. I got burned out on Country Bob’s as a kid; at our house, it was the most common condiment, and later on, I went to church with Bob Edson (cool story, bro.) Now that I think about it, that might be awesome. It has a flavor vaguely reminiscent of worchestershire sauce, which I sometimes use (yeah, I know, it’s made of fish.)

{ 1 trackback }