Running Thoughts

by Meghann on March 25, 2009

I found it really interesting last night talking to Kristen about her own experience with Team In Training. I quizzed her on the training schedule her coach kept, running partners, race experience and her approach to fund raising. I found it all fascinating.

Many of you have asked how I am enjoying Team In Training and I have to say I am a little disappointed that there is no one in my team that is around the same level as I am to run with at practice. There are those who take off at the speed of light and there are those who approach the race casually and prefer a slow job rather then a 9 minute pace run. I need to find a partner in the group who is just right.

Kristen was lucky enough to meet two others who were training at her same ability and even stuck by them during the race. I strive to find a running partner like that in my group, for now I will just have to wait and see.

Those were the thoughts that were going through my head during my run this morning. I was also trying to think of new ways to extend my daily run. Next week I am going to start to wake up another 15 minutes earlier and try to squeeze 7 miles in each morning to help build up my endurance. For now the 5.25 miles I did this morning were just find.

When I returned cereal was on my mind.

DSCN3119

With out realizing it as I was pulling the cereal boxes off the shelf this morning, I seemed to have an unintentional cinnamon theme going on. In my bowl I had 1/2 cup Kashi Cinnamon Harvest, 1/2 cup 365 Brand Cinnasnaps, 1/3 cup CinnaCrunch Granola, Mango, Strawberries and Oikos Vanilla Greek Yogurt.

DSCN3121

The cinnamon combination was surprisingly not too cinnamony and I really enjoyed the addition of the mango to the mix. Yum!

Baker’s Spotlight…

This morning’s Baker Spotlight will focus on one of the kindest blogger out there. Instead of the typical daily blog commenter she prefers e-mail and her wonderful soothing voice always instantly relaxes me during her 10 minute Yoga Videos.

That’s right I am talking about Ms. Polly from Yoga is Yummy. Her blog is very addicting and I am obsessed with her Yoga videos. But she is not all about the yoga, she is about the yummy too and her baked treats are just as addicting to look at. Her baked good is sure to fare well on April 6th. 🙂

1 FoodsThatFit March 25, 2009 at 7:41 am

I agree that it is so hard to find a running buddy that is the perfect match. But when you do, it is awesome. The best times I ever ran were when I had a consistent running buddy. We pushed each other, but had so much fun talking during the run as well!

I think the team in training is a great idea, but I can see where it could be disappointing in your situation. I wish I lived closer and I would run with you 🙂

2 Mica March 25, 2009 at 7:54 am

I’m sorry that TnT is not working out as well as you planned. It seems like group training programs attract the super-fast people and then the more casual people. My half program has a ton of people hoping to run sub 1:20 and then a bunch of people hoping to finish. You’re right–there aren’t that many people in the between, boo!

I think we should meet up halfway between Orlando and central Illinois and form our own “hard-core but not lightning-fast” training team? Okay, good.

3 haya March 25, 2009 at 7:58 am

i know what you mean about the running partner! i’ve found that i don’t really enjoy running in groups much because like you, i am in between the two extremes. trying to keep up with the crazy fast guys was too painful but if i hung back with the casual runners, i got no real benefit from the workout. these days i prefer to run on my own but think that it would be awesome to have the perfect partner, if such a thing existed 😉
good luck!

4 brandi March 25, 2009 at 8:02 am

i hope you find someone to run with. I run with my husband, but I know he’s running slow to stay with me, I feel bad sometimes.

That ice cream you got last night looks so good!

5 Amanda @ Fake Ginger March 25, 2009 at 8:05 am

Breakfast looks delish!

I hope you’re able to find someone to run with. I try to run with my best friend but it seems like when she has a slow day, I have a good day and vice versa.

6 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 25, 2009 at 8:10 am

Delicious breakfast and gotta love that sweet angel Polly. What would the blogosphere be like without her!?

7 Danielle March 25, 2009 at 8:10 am

I hope you are able to find a running buddy through teams in training soon!
Love the cinnamon-y breakfast, I bet it was delicious!

8 VeggieGirl March 25, 2009 at 8:12 am

Hope you can find that compatible running partner!!

POLLY IS AWESOME!!! 😀

9 Hangry Pants March 25, 2009 at 8:25 am

I like your baker spotlights! I need to get to know Polly better. Polly, come chat with me! 😀

10 Brittney March 25, 2009 at 8:25 am

Hope you’re able to find a running partner soon!

11 Rose March 25, 2009 at 8:27 am

I hope you find a running partner. I think that can sometimes be the hardest thing to do. I still run alone (and I’m not on a team or anything) because no one is quite at my pace. Either much faster or much slower.

I will have to check out Ms. Polly’s blog! I see her name everywhere!

12 Nicole March 25, 2009 at 8:58 am

Having a running partner is what really helped me start to get into running and races. I think it’s a really great motivation and lots of fun, too! I hope you are able to find your perfect match 😀

13 marafaye March 25, 2009 at 9:28 am

My good friend is a runner with Team in Training too, and he said that he had a REALLY hard time finding a “just right” partner. Once he did, he enjoyed TnT much more.

14 carolinebee March 25, 2009 at 9:45 am

I just made polly’s spelt “lovey”‘s 😀 You gotta try them they are SO easy and delish!!

15 runsarah March 25, 2009 at 9:49 am

I don’t know anyone who runs as my pace, so I end up running with my fiance…we are totally different speeds so I feel bad sometimes though.

16 Ryane March 25, 2009 at 9:51 am

I’ve trying to recruit some of my friends as running partners – I want to train for Disney with somebody! But I’m starting to check out some more of the “fun” 5K’s going on…. the ones that always promise a beer at the end you know? Some post-run mingling might lead to meeting some new people!

17 ksgoodeats March 25, 2009 at 10:02 am

Those cinnasnaps sound so good – I may have to pick up a box!

18 Jess March 25, 2009 at 10:02 am

I am doing TNT right now too and there are a lot of different ability levels. I run with the same 4 people every week which is awesome. We are usually way ahead of the other groups, but stick together even though a few are super speed demons. On our long runs out coach always says that you are supposed to be at conversation pace not trying to maintain a fast pace, that’s what the tempo runs are for. Maybe that is why you’re having a hard time? You are pretty speedy yourself!

19 Sara March 25, 2009 at 10:45 am

I’m sure you’ll find a running buddy! Your cinnamon breakfast mix looks so good.

20 Sammie March 25, 2009 at 10:48 am

I have never run with a partner – not sure if I would enjoy it. That is my “alone time” after all.
There can never be too much cinnamon in my opinion – it is my favorite spice.

21 Marissa March 25, 2009 at 11:31 am

Good luck finding someone!

22 Sarah March 25, 2009 at 11:43 am

That shows some serious dedication to push your mileage on your training by getting up earlier. You are a better woman than me! I just round up on my miles 😉

I was also dreaming about my cereal bowl during my a.m. run.

AND I love Polly!

23 runningwithin March 25, 2009 at 11:43 am

I’m obsessed with cinnamon, I seriously go through a bottle of the spice every couple weeks.

At least you have Caitlin to run with! I wish I had a running buddy too, it def. would make my long runs go faster, I’ve also found that I’m definitely faster when running a group. However, most of the running groups around here also either have super, fast, sub 8:00 mile people or older people who are hoping to get in shape. No in between : ( Oh well, maybe someday.

24 Stephanie March 25, 2009 at 11:50 am

Maybe you could try a couple different approaches instead of holding out for the perfect match? Like, see if some of the super fast people would want to help you with speedwork one night, or stick with the slower group one time but go longer than them in order to do some slow and steady long runs?

If nothing else, at least it can be a group of people with which to talk about running– tips, questions, etc.

Stick with it! 🙂

25 Maggie March 25, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Polly is the sweetest. I love her videos 🙂

I hope you find a good running buddy in the group! Maybe one of the people who isn’t as into it will get more interested?

26 wholefoodswholeme March 25, 2009 at 3:46 pm

ah i adore cinnamon! i really hope you discover someone who is a good match to your pace – i can see that it would be a great motivation and a fun factor 🙂