Fun Whole Food Finds

by Meghann on March 25, 2009

I got quite a few new finds at Whole Foods last night. My favorite part of going to Whole Foods is actually finding new cool food related items to experiment with.

Last night I tried the Soy Delicious Ice Cream for the first time and this afternoon I decided to try some Coconut Water.

DSCN3130.JPG

I have been interested in trying Coconut Water since it started popping up on Jenna’s blog. She always says great things about the recovery beverage so I figured I would forfeit up the $1.50 and give it a shot.

I had high hopes especially after reading all the great benefits Coconut Water has to offer.

DSCN3131.JPG

Unfortunately that first sip was not appealing at all. Not one to give up on new things, I took another sip and let it sit in my mouth before gagging. Not good at all.

I decided to get a second opinion and brought the Coconut Water to a co-worker I knew was willing to try new things. Even though he made a funny face after his sip, me managed to squint and say ‘not bad.’ I left the rest of the drink in his thirsty hands and determined my experiment with Coconut Water a no go. Oh well, we can’t win them all.

Luckily I had a great back up snack of Watermelon and Almonds.

DSCN3133.JPG

Its amazing how well the almonds paired with the watermelon, I was eating combined bites of watermelon and almond.

After work I was on day ??? of my 30 Day Shred plan. lol I know I started on March 10 and I switch on the 10 increments… thats all that really matters, right?

I was tired and hungry, but I pushed through the 20 minutes and was ready to cook up a yummy meal using two other new finds I picked up at Whole Foods.

First up was some Tempah that even though I have had it at restaurants before, I was dying to cook with it on my own.

DSCN3134.JPG

I basically took a suggestion right off the package and used a 1/3 of the package in an easy stir fry.

DSCN3135.JPG

My Tempah Stir Fry started with some sesame oil to which I added the Tempah, Garlic, Broccoli, Carrot, Red Pepper Flakes, & Tomato and heated up until the tempah was crispy and the veggies were soft. While the veggies were cooking I made a handful of Whole Grain Noodles that I added to the veggies as well as 2 tablespoons of another new Whole Foods Find. (Last one I promise! 🙂 )

DSCN3140.JPG

This Tamari Peanut Sauce was definitely a casual impulse buy, but I was sure glad I picked it. The sauce gave the stirfry a yummy peanuty flavor which was almost reminiscent of Pad Thai.

DSCN3137.JPG

I wanted to give the dish some crunch, but was sad to not have any peanuts on hand. Instead, I sprinkled my noodles with Pumpkin Seeds which gave me the crunch I needed.

I hate having the same dessert two nights in a row, but I could not thinking about the Soy Delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream so I caved and had a small bowl with some mini Chocolate Chips on top.

DSCN3141.JPG

Baker’s Spotlight…

Whitney from Whitney in Chicago has been opening everyone’s eyes in the blog world lately with her crack like granola that I have seen featured on both Andrea’s and Kath’s blogs.

Her recipe is so simple and so delish it almost inspires me to make my own… or I can just hold off on trying to bid on a batch of Whitney’s granola straight from the baker herself. The best part about bidding on Whitney’s Granola? She is going to make it completely customizable! You pick the dried fruit and nuts. Can’t beat that!

1 Sharon March 25, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Oh wow, scrumptious scrumptious! I wish I could find tempeh in my local area!

2 Joy March 25, 2009 at 7:55 pm

i agree with you on the coconut water!!! i just tried it this week after seeing it on jenna and gina’s blog but i couldn’t stand more than 3 sips. dissapointing

3 whitneyinchicago March 25, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Can’t wait to make up a batch for the highest bidder!

4 Meg March 25, 2009 at 7:56 pm

I felt that way about coconut water too. I so wanted to like it!

Yummy dinner!

5 Amy C. March 25, 2009 at 7:57 pm

I totally agree about coconut water. I gave it a shot the other day after seeing it on Jenna’s blog. I drank about two sips before pouring it (and my $1.50) down the drain. At least we tried! 🙂

6 VeggieGirl March 25, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Sorry about the coconut water 🙁 But hooray for the ice cream and stir fry!! 🙂

7 Brittney March 25, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Your stir fry looks amazing!

8 redheadyellowdog March 25, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Yea there are definitely some healthy things I wish I liked. Like tea!! Gosh I just don’t like it! I keep trying it though hoping my tastebuds will change.

I LOVE tempeh! its has such a great texture. and I love that you can break it up so that it almost resembles ground meat.

great eats today!

9 Jenn (eating bender) March 25, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I love finding new things at Whole Foods – but I think I would feel the same way about coconut water. I’m going to steer clear!

Mm that peanut sauce sounds great! I have a package of tempeh waiting for me when I get back to school – I will definitely have to look for that sauce to go with it 🙂

Wow, the ice cream with chocolate chips on top is definitely making me drool a lil’ bit!

10 Hillary B. March 25, 2009 at 8:16 pm

About the coconut water…

You should try a flavored variety. At the Bikram yoga studio I go to (Boston), they sell Zico brand (www.zico.com) – original, passion fruit, and mango flavors. I tried the original first and just like you, I didn’t care for it, but I decided to give Zico another shot by trying the passion fruit & mango varieties… OMG. SO DELICIOUS! They are just flavored with the essence of the fruits (not added sugars) and let me tell you, so yummy and refreshing.

If you can’t get it down in FL, e-mail me your address and I’ll send you some to try!

11 Mica March 25, 2009 at 8:22 pm

That stir-fry looks awesome. What is the texture of tempeh like? I always just think it’s like tofu, but I guess not.

12 Sara March 25, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I’m somewhat relieved that you didn’t like the coconut water. I’ve seen others drink it and I like coconut, but really it just doesn’t sound good to me. 🙂

Yummy dinner!

13 Erica March 25, 2009 at 8:35 pm

thank you for the coconut water review! I have been wanting to try it too- but not now!

14 runningwithin March 25, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Aw sorry to hear you didn’t like the cocunut water, I tried it recently and loved it! Must be an acquired taste.

15 kaneil March 25, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Glad I’m not the only one who does not enjoy coconut water…at ALL. Weird! and I LOVE coconut!

Glad you found some goodies at whole foods – that place is amazing and dangerous at the same time!

Kaneil, balanceisbest

16 Yasmin March 25, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Good to know about the coconut water. I’ve been wanting to try it thinking it would be sweet. I’m guessing it’s a no-go.

17 Marissa March 25, 2009 at 9:03 pm

I love your stir fry! YUM!

18 Adi (oatonomy.com - now repaired!) March 25, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I’m not brave enough to try coconut water… I’m going to take your word for it and guess I won’t like it. 🙂

19 Haleigh March 25, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Sorry about the coconut water! The stir fry looks fantastic though!!

20 Ryan (Chase Daylight) March 25, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I tried Zico Coconut Water today too and also did not like it at all!

Your dessert just made my mouth water 🙂

21 runsarah March 25, 2009 at 9:27 pm

That stirfry looks great, I love all your cute dishes too.

22 Becca A March 25, 2009 at 9:33 pm

I don’t like coconut water too much either, although I do enjoy dried coconut at least.

23 Trish (girlatgym) March 25, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I do not like coconut at all. I don’t think I could swallow that water.

24 Susan March 25, 2009 at 9:54 pm

I’ve tried coconut water out of real coconuts (with the fancy straw and all) two times, and it hasn’t grown on me yet. I thought maybe because the coconut water was warm it made it taste extra icky?

25 Amanda March 25, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I tried the coconut water over the weekend and it was a no go for me too!!

My daughter tried it and make the funniest face. Needless to say, we wont be buying that again!

26 Niki March 25, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Meghann…..i know i read somewhere about the bake sale, but how do we bid and when? I am really interested in this, i just started reading all of your’s and jennas and caitlins blogs and LOOOOOOVVVEEEE them!!! I am a nutrition major and a new runner(and ive been a gym rat for years) anyways, i love baking too and this would be something cool to see if i could get some good treats.
e-mail: Niki.House@gmail.com

27 marafaye March 25, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I love that peanut tamari dressing! It totally rocks!

28 Laura March 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Your dinner looks amazing!

I like coconut water, but I can totally see why many people don’t like it. 🙂

29 erinbee March 25, 2009 at 11:16 pm

that stirfry looks so cheery! [and delicious.]

and that dessert. maui wowwie. yes please!

30 Sandy March 25, 2009 at 11:25 pm

I felt the same about the Coconut water..I ended up using it to make my Oatmeal with 🙂
Your stirfry look’s great!!

31 jesslikesithot March 26, 2009 at 2:39 am

Ah I couldn’t handle that coconut water either, I tried it a few weeks back and just couldn’t deal! haha, oh well….that dessert looks amazing, once again! 🙂

32 wholefoodswholeme March 26, 2009 at 2:46 am

i did consider buying a carton at WF the other day of the coconut water, just because i was amazed they even sold it in the uk – but didn’t. now i’m not quite sure i ever will! i don’t want anything to interfere with my love for coconut!

that tamari sauce looks amazing, what a great homemade stirfry!

33 shelby March 26, 2009 at 7:15 am

I’m not a big fan of coconut water either. Too sweet for me. I did like the flavored Passion Fruit one though.

34 jenn March 26, 2009 at 8:20 am

i thought the coconut water was gross too, i did also buy a mango one to try, that one wasnt so bad, give it a shot. theres another one too, but i didnt try it yet.

35 Sarah W. March 26, 2009 at 8:30 am

oh that ice cream looks amazing!!

36 Rose March 26, 2009 at 10:15 am

Have you noticed a difference from the Shred?

37 Ami March 26, 2009 at 1:22 pm

You guys are all nuts! I LOVE coconut water, but have never had that particular type. Maybe they just dont control the quailty of their coconuts in that product?

38 L.A. Daze March 26, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I LOVE tempeh! I’ve been eating that stuff since I was a kid. It’s a big staple back home in Indonesia. We marinade it in garlic sauce though and then fry it, but I also eat it the healthy way.

You should also be able to get tempeh at a southeast asian market.

As for the coconut water – what they sell at Whole Foods DOES NOT compare to the real thing. Another thing I love from back home is slicing off the top of a young coconut (the green ones) and then put a straw in it and drink the water. So sweet and yum. Of course the fruit itself is great as well.

39 Marianne March 26, 2009 at 8:45 pm

It’s too bad you don’t like the coconut water. I think it’s quite tasty, but I’ve only ever had it once. I’m too cheap to actually buy it!

The stirfry looks great. I really must try out some tempeh one of these days.