more ยป" />

A New Snack

by Meghann on March 25, 2009

My snack today was very unconventional for me: a hard boiled egg.

I have been wanting to revamp my daily snack and upon a little web research decided to give the good ole Hard Boiled Egg a try.

DSCN3123

I peeled the egg and just ate it plain. You may or may not have noticed, Iโ€™m not much of a salt fan.

My Verdict? I enjoyed the hard boiled egg as a snack. It was filling and held my hunger off just a bit longer so that i could enjoy my lunch at a reasonable honor. Now I just have to remember to prepare the eggs ahead of time I will be all set. ๐Ÿ™‚

My lunch today was one of those things where I just pulled out whatever looked appealing to me in the fridge and proceeded to create from there.

DSCN3124

I think I got the most creative with the sandwich, I wanted a little bit of everything on in.

DSCN3128

Between the 2 butts of my Pumpernickle Bread I had Swiss Cheese, Mixed Sprouts, Apple Slices, Tomato, Mushroom, Banana Peppers and Pumpkin Butter.

Boy this sammy was good and sooo filling!! I LOVED the Pumpkin Butter and see it as a favorite addition to all future sandwiches from now on.

With the sammy I had a left over cup of Amyโ€™s Low Sodium Chunky Tomato Bisque.

DSCN3127

I cut up the rest of the apple and added it to the soup as well. It wasnโ€™t my favorite soup additions, but it definitely made it more interesting. ๐Ÿ™‚

Baker Spotlightโ€ฆ

After the last Blogging Bake Sale Tami was sweet enough to send me a sample of the Whoopee Pies she had baked for the winner. They were of course wonderfully sinful and mouth watering delicious. Actually, just thinking about them makes my mouth water again.

BUT you donโ€™t have to take my word for it! Check out Audreyโ€™s wonderful review of Tamiโ€™s Whoopee Pies as well. She  was the highest bidder and had nothing but good things to say.

I know on April 6th Tami is preparing another drool worthy goodie and I canโ€™t wait to watch you fight over them. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 VeggieGirl March 25, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Haha!! Hooray for new snacks ๐Ÿ˜€

April 6th = blogger bake sale + my birthday = FABULOUS FUN!!

2 Marissa March 25, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Yum! I love hard boiled eggs!

3 Betsy March 25, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Apple in tomato soup? Iiiiinteresting. ๐Ÿ™‚

And I had a coworker tell me today that his new favorite breakfast is “2 hard boiled eggs and a cup of peanut butter.”

Yes, you read that right…. a CUP of peanut butter… and not natural peanut butter. I had to set him straight on that….

4 Susan March 25, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Boiled eggs make an awesome snack. Except, I’m always scared to bring them to work when I have to share my office because of the smell!!

5 Sarah March 25, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Hard boiled eggs are also a great way to get protein when you pack a salad for lunch at work. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have this little boiled egg timer that I put in the water with my egg… it changes color to show when the egg is done!

6 brandi March 25, 2009 at 1:11 pm

mm…i love hb eggs! they are a great snack.

7 Sharon March 25, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Oh wow, love the sandwich!

8 marafaye March 25, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Great looking sandwich! I love sprouts!

9 Brooke March 25, 2009 at 1:26 pm

How do you hard boil your eggs? I like to cook my on Sunday for the entire week and I always seem to overcook mine, but yours looked perfect today! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

10 Emily March 25, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Love your sandwich! I’ve never though to add pumpkin butter to sandwiches.

I’m not a huge fan of hard boiled eggs…maybe it’s the texture? I”m glad you found a snack that works for you, though!

11 Missy (Missy Maintains) March 25, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Great sandwich! Pumpkin butter makes everything better!

12 Sara March 25, 2009 at 1:55 pm

What a great snack and a great sandwich! I always forget how much I like hard boiled eggs, but I only eat the whites…something about to yolk grosses me out. I like how you used the “butt” of the bread for your sandwich. That’s my favorite part of the loaf. ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Matt March 25, 2009 at 1:58 pm

The incredible edible egg…

14 Hallie March 25, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I’m bad at hard-boiling eggs too, but I don’t like them so it doesn’t matter. One time I had to boil 18 of them for a group function, and I definitely got some comments about the lack of uniformity to my eggs. Whatever.

I don’t know how I’d like the pumpkin butter on the sandwhich but I guess it’s that whole sweet-and-savory thing, which I usually like…

15 Sarah W. March 25, 2009 at 2:05 pm

wonderfully colorful sammich u had there!!!

16 Haleigh March 25, 2009 at 2:05 pm

You should try a soft-boiled egg! They are amazing! You just boil them for about 6 minutes ๐Ÿ™‚ But you have to eat them with a spoon, lol.. so it may be a bit more of a mess

17 Danielle March 25, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I wish I liked hard boiled eggs but I just don’t. Your sandwich looks amazing though, and fun idea to put the apple in your soup.

18 Elina March 25, 2009 at 2:15 pm

I was just thinking this morning about bringing the old hard boiled egg back ๐Ÿ˜‰ You beat me to it! ๐Ÿ™‚

19 runsarah March 25, 2009 at 2:24 pm

I used to love hard boiled eggs, sliced on toast is good too…I should make some again!

20 yogurtandberries March 25, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I’ve always been sceeved out by hardboiled eggs! I used to not like eggs, but now I have for at least 5 or 6 years…however, I have yet to re-try a hard boiled!! Maybe someday ๐Ÿ™‚
LOVING your sandwich…pumpernickle is so delicious

21 Lauren March 25, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I love, love, LOVE pumpkin butter – currently one of my favorite condiments ๐Ÿ™‚

22 Erin March 25, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I kinda miss those1 They’re such a great snack! Have you ever tried with Spike seasoning? $$

23 Bec March 25, 2009 at 3:27 pm

that sandwich looks amazing!

24 megan March 25, 2009 at 3:58 pm

that’s so funny – I was just thinking today how much i wish I had a hard boiled egg for a snack! I think I’m going to make some tonight ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Yasmin March 25, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Hard-boiled eggs are delicious! I also like to add hummus for extra deliciousness!

26 wholefoodswholeme March 25, 2009 at 4:20 pm

i love egg in any form, but my mum is SUPER crazy about boiled eggs you wouldn’t believe!! it’s so good that you’re not a salt fan, for your health – unfortunaly i love salty :/

27 Mica March 25, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I like hard-boiled eggwhite but I’m not crazy about the egg yolk. It looks like a yummy snack though!

28 Adi (oatonomy.com - now repaired!) March 25, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Awesome – thanks for bringing back the snack egg! I totally forgot about those… they used to be a staple snack for me.

29 ksgoodeats March 25, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Apple in soup?! That is pretty interesting! I love sprouts on sandwiches – I think it’s the crunch factor!

30 Rachel in NC March 25, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I make enough hard-boiled eggs for a week at a time. You can peel them and store them in tupperware in water for 7 days without them going bad.

Here is how I make them, and I think it’s perfect:

Put eggs in cold water in a pan and cover. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat off. Leave the lid on the pan and leave the pan on the stove eye for approx. 20 minutes. Then pour off the water and add cold water and ice and let them cool for 10 minutes or so, then peel!

31 RuntoFinish March 25, 2009 at 4:48 pm

you know I go through phases with food and at one point I loved eating hard boiled eggs! i kinda forgot abou them

32 Meg March 25, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I too had an egg as a midmorning snack today!! I used to do this all the time as I find no matter what I eat for breakfast I’m hungry by about 10:30. By breaking it up and adding the egg in I’m able to wait longer before breaking for lunch!!

33 Erica March 25, 2009 at 4:57 pm

LOVE hard boiled eggs, but I mostly just eat the whites (due to the Cholesterol in the yellow!) Glad you enjoyed it. They do make a fabulous snack!!

34 jane March 25, 2009 at 5:04 pm

wow that sandwich looks great- and really creative using pumpkin butter!

35 lisaheartspizza March 25, 2009 at 5:44 pm

hmm I like tomato soup and grilled cheese, and i like apples in my grilled cheese, so maybe I would like tomato soup with apples? OR tomato soup with an grilled cheese and apple sammie!

36 Lindsay March 25, 2009 at 8:39 pm

No offense, your yolk is too green and over boiled for me! Try putting the eggs in cool water an inch higher than the eggs. Bring it just up to a boil, and immediately take it of the heat source, cover, and start the timer for 12 minutes. When 12 minutes are up, put the eggs in an ice bath. You’ll end up with just done, bright sunshine yellow yolks, makes all the difference in taste to me!

37 Danica March 25, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Hi Meghann,

I like to boil up a 1/2 dozen to a dozen eggs at a time. Then, you have them in the fridge all week for snacks, salads or I LOVE putting hummus in my egg whites and tossing the yolk. They are good in the fridge for up to 2 weeks boiled (read that somewhere).

Yummie eats today – way to be creative.