Speedwork and more Jillian

by Meghann on March 24, 2009

As much as I despise the treadmill it does have its advantages, such as it’s ability to aide me in speedwork. I guess I could easily do the speed training on a track, but the one thing I hate more then running on a treadmill is going in circles on a track… boring.

As with every long distance runner, speed work is not my friend. I prefer the relaxing long runs that wakes me up without feeling like its tearing me apart. However, I do see the benefits in speedwork as I have seen my times improve dramatically since adding speedwork to my training.

So this morning I forced myself out of bed to take on 30 minutes of speed training in my lousy apartment gym. I did 2 minute sprints varying between 6.5, 7.0, 8.0 & 8.5 and switching between 1.0, 2.0 & 2.5 inclines. By the time I was done I was sweating like a maniac and chugging water. As I said, speed is not my friend.

After my 30 minute speedwork, I popped in my 30 Day Shred DVD to continue my work out with Jillian. I believe this is the first time I have done the DVD after a run and I have to say it was utter torture!

I was already worn out after my sprints, so Jillian pushed me even further to the point of exhaustion. I was literally screaming at the TV during the last bit of cardio, ready to collapse on the floor. Talk about intense!

Maybe I was still sore from yesterday’s DVD, but as you can tell I was bit worn out for my work out this morning. I sound like such a complainer. lol

Breakfast was a quick and simple pick me up.

DSCN3094

I felt I needed some recovery so I broke out the blender and combined a packet of Chocolate Hemp Protein Shake, 8 oz of 2% Milk, 4 Strawberries, Pineapple, 1 tablespoon of Peanut Butter, and a handful of Ice in the blender to create this chocolate shake.

DSCN3096

I’m not sure how much I could taste the fruit, but I could definitely taste the PB.. Hello  Reeses Milk Shake!

With the shake I had the last of my bag of Kashi H2H.

DSCN3095

It came to about a cup and was the perfect filling element with the shake.

Baker Spotlight…

Yesterday you met Danica and had the chance to vote on what treats she will make for the April 6th Blogging Bake Sale, today I am going to introduce to you a baker who truly needs no introduction. VeggieGirl.

That’s right VeggieGirl has signed on to offer up some Customizable Blondies for the Bake Sale. You have the option of selecting your filling and she is willing to work with any speciali dietary needs.

Want proof how delish VeggieGirl’s Blondies truly are? Well check out Mine, Tina’s, Kath’s, Jenna’s, and Gliding Calm’s personal reviews from around the blog world. And don’t forget last bake sale’s winner, Ashley, who received Larabar Blondies! Can we say Holy Yum?

1 Mica March 24, 2009 at 7:51 am

Great job on the speedwork, Miss Meghann! And a Reese’s shake sounds like the perfect post-shred reward, though I’d probably be too exhausted to even sip it through the straw.

2 brandi March 24, 2009 at 7:51 am

good job on the speedwork!

i love pb in smoothies – it’s the best thing to add.

3 jenngirl March 24, 2009 at 7:53 am

Speed work is such a hard workout, I bet you killed it!! And OOO PB smoothies are the BEST!

4 redheadyellowdog March 24, 2009 at 7:58 am

I know speedwork is supposed to be great and all and I definitely did see it improving my speed but I’m pretty sure speedwork is one of the reasons I got IT band syndrome. That plus the fact I was being cheap and not getting new shoes when I needed them. But the run that had my knee starting to hurt was when I was doing some fartlek speed training. Curses! So be careful!! And get new shoes when you need them!! /end PSA.

5 Matt March 24, 2009 at 7:58 am

I can vouch for those blondies! They are HOLY YUM!

6 wholefoodswholeme March 24, 2009 at 8:04 am

woah reading that workout recap alone exhausted me!! you are a toughie! the recovery breakfast looks really good. how exciting to have another bakesale!! maybe i should move to the US just for this occasion….

7 VeggieGirl March 24, 2009 at 8:07 am

FABULOUS shake; and thank you for the shout-out!! 😀

8 Meg March 24, 2009 at 8:10 am

WOW! What an amazing workout!

9 Betsy March 24, 2009 at 8:12 am

That shake looks so delish…. and way to go on the workout today, I really need to try to start getting up early and working out. It must feel like such an accomplishment to get it done early!

10 Erica March 24, 2009 at 8:12 am

Another fab morning workout! I must say, I really love protein shakes. I feel refreshed after having one! Hope your day goes well Meghann!

11 Priscilla March 24, 2009 at 8:14 am

I don’t like the treadmill either, wow. Sounds like some hard workouts! Your breakfast looks really good!yummy!

12 Sarah March 24, 2009 at 8:21 am

Good morning ladies-

I’m in need of some moral support! Last night, I made a healthy dinner after a healthy run and a day of healthy eating (all normal for me), and then preceded to make a box of “lowfat” brownies and eat a quarter of the pan.

I’m feeling extremely “guilty” about this – I’m not trying to lose weight – my outlook is to just be consistent. however, I have a problem with this type of overeating after dinner. Before you even say it, it’s not because I deprive myself during the day – I def. don’t – or because i’m still hungry (i’m not). It’s mostly out of habit and/or boredom – i just love dessert! Many times, eating one ice cream bar or cookie just doesn’t satisfy me – the expereince of dessert is over too quickly. Hence my eating a quarter sheet of brownies last night.

Any advice on how to stop beating myself up / stop eating so much after dinner, without feeling deprived? Again, I am not trying to lose weight – just maintain a healthy lifestyle that makes me feel good about myself and makes my heart happy too.

Thanks! Love the blog, Meghann! And I have to say…I was one of the ones who was intensly curious about Derek 🙂 As a single lady, I’m really happy for you!

– Sarah

13 Derek March 24, 2009 at 8:45 am

Sarah, you don’t want my advice. I would have eaten a quarter of it too. It’s my darn STS…..sweet tooth syndrome

14 Meghann March 24, 2009 at 8:50 am

Sarah!

I feel you on making the brownies! That’s why you rarely ever see me make baked goods on here, its just too tempting! For some reason I can handle pre-packaged stuff just find, but if I make it from my own oven its like crack to me.

Here are a few tricks to keep the sweet tooth at bay.
Next time you make brownies, before you even sample it cut the tray into preportioned serving sizes, bag them them up and put them away. Out of sight, out of mind! You can store them in the freezer or fridge, but the individual packaging will tell you mind that that’s a full serving.

Also after you have the brownie, drink a nice cup of hot tea and curl up in front of the TV away from the kitchen. After I have my dessert I finish cleaning up the kitchen, turn the light out and from that point the kitchen is officially closed in my mind.

I think it also helps that I go to bed only a couple of hours after my dessert so that I don’t get any hunger pains that have me wanting more.

I hope this advice helps! and thanks for the blog love!!

15 Joleen March 24, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Sarah,

I’ve also found that when a dessert is billed as being low fat or better for me, I’m much more inclined to over do it (hello, Skinny Cow crack) rather than when it’s a “real” brownie. Might be something to consider too.

16 marafaye March 24, 2009 at 8:26 am

Speedwork generally sounds like my idea of hell on earth. I can see how it would be helpful in training, but sheesh… not fun!

I gotta send you my bake sale info 🙂

17 Rose March 24, 2009 at 8:38 am

Oooh, I’m loving the chocolate shake.

How cool that VG is going to do that!

18 Derek March 24, 2009 at 8:44 am

hey good lookin’…did I read this post right?? you put MILK in something? 🙂

have a great day!

19 Meghann March 24, 2009 at 8:51 am

I always put Milk in smoothies, but never too much. Its just like adding it to a milk shake, I just can’t handle it plain.. yuck!

20 Danielle March 24, 2009 at 9:01 am

Wow sounds like you had a killer workout! I need to start getting into the mindset of getting up early and working out, I don’t mind working out after work but sometimes things come up, getting it over with in the morning would be best for me I just can’t make myself get out of bed when it’s still so cold, I’m hoping once it warms up I’ll get up earlier.
Love your shake anything that tastes like a reeses must be good!

21 ksgoodeats March 24, 2009 at 9:08 am

Reese’s milk shake?! YUM!!

22 Mel March 24, 2009 at 9:14 am

That smoothie looks like something way more decadent! I think I’m going to have to try a combo like that!

23 cindy March 24, 2009 at 9:24 am

im curious!; how many calories did you burn during your workout? (speedwork)

24 Meghann March 24, 2009 at 9:42 am

Cindy – I honestly have no idea. The one sad thing about my Garmin is I don’t have the foot pad to make it work indoors. 🙁

25 Sarah March 24, 2009 at 9:27 am

Hi Meghann –

Thanks for the advice. I knew when I was making them that it would be a bad idea and that I should put them in single serving bags (somethign i usally do)…but it just didn’t happen. and then i had eaten a quarter of them. oops!

as far as “hunger pains” after dinner…that NEVEr happens to me. I eat too late for that…by the time i get home from work and the gym, i’m not usually eating dinner til after 8. so again, dessert is purely habit for me. I really need to find the strength to say, “it’s ok to have dessert, i just need to learn to stop at one portion”. i truly beleive that people like you and i (fit, eat healthy, exercise) can work dessert into their normal eating routine…I just need to learn how to stop it after i start:)

Thanks again!

26 Missy (Missy Maintains) March 24, 2009 at 10:14 am

Sarah- I have the exact same problem as you!! I usually eat dinner around 8:30 after the gym and am not hungry at all, but overeat so much at night. I have one bowl of ice cream which turns into 2 or 3! I am okay when my bf is there but when I am alone, I just go crazy. I usually try to use whitening strips and brush my teeth to stop myself but it can be so hard!

27 Hallie March 24, 2009 at 10:21 am

That shake looks great! I find that smoothies don’t keep me full, unfortunately, no matter what’s in them. Yummy, though!

Sarah, I struggle with food guilt sometimes to when I overdo it on sweets. I try to remind myself that it’s over and done with, and tomorrow is a new day. And remember too that no one is perfect. You’re still healthy and beautiful (I can just tell :-D), and one night or even two of extra brownies isn’t going to make you unhealthy.

I’m the same way with baking though, so I try to get rid of my goodies (bringing them into work, for example) ASAP. Like Meghann, drinking tea with (or after) my dessert helps, too.

28 Bec March 24, 2009 at 10:34 am

When I was running track in high school I loved speed work days because they were a shorter practice with breaks compared to our normal 8-15km runs!

29 Brittney March 24, 2009 at 10:35 am

Just reading about your workout makes me tired! Kudos to you, though 🙂

I really want a chocolate milkshake now after seeing that smoothie. Mmm….

30 Diana (soap & chocolate) March 24, 2009 at 10:42 am

I’m not gonna lie, VeggieGirl’s blondies look like they could be worth some serious dollars. You will score with that!

31 Run Saraaah March 24, 2009 at 10:44 am

Sprinting than Jillian? That is intense! Those blondies look SO good…holy yum is right 🙂

32 Tina March 24, 2009 at 10:55 am

VeggieGirl’s blondies are the BEST! My batch is already gone!

33 Julie March 24, 2009 at 11:05 am

Sprinting at 8.5 on the treadmill scares the ish out of me! I’d be afraid I’d fall off. Plus all the hard pounding would kill my poor shins 🙁

I want me some veggie girl blondies, but I would have no idea what to put in them! I am so indecisive.

34 Marissa March 24, 2009 at 11:20 am

Yay for chocolate!

35 gina (fitnessista) March 24, 2009 at 11:50 am

that smoothie sounds like heaven!
i’m going to have to bid on some of those blondies.. they always look amazing!
happy tuesday 😀

36 Amanda March 24, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Sarah and Missy –
I am on the same page as you two!! I eat well all day – pack stuff to have at work. I by no means deprive myself! Usually after work I will go to the gym and then have dinner at 8 or 830. Right after dinner I want something sweet which pretty much spirals out of control! It’s hard bc I live in a little studio apartment and my kitchen is literally Right. There. One little treat never seems to be enough.

37 Shelby March 24, 2009 at 12:49 pm

HOLY YUM!!!

38 Danica March 24, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Yum to customizable blondies!

39 Elina March 24, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Level 2 after a workout like that would definitely be a killer! Can’t wait for the bake sale 🙂

40 Meredith (Pursuing Balance) March 24, 2009 at 5:21 pm

That chocolate pb shake looks divine! I love how you have it in that cute glass with the straw too!

41 Dori March 24, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I will have my trusty sidekicks sending me updates throughout the bake sale so I can stay with it on y blocked work computer! Can’t wait~

42 Lee March 24, 2009 at 7:59 pm

amazing workout! i’m up to level 2 with jillian, terrified of level 3.

where do you get the hemp protein shake packets? what’s the brand name? thanks!