New Things

by Meghann on March 23, 2009

This afternoon and evening seemed to have an reoccurring theme of exploring new things.

For starters I tried a Pure Protein Hot’n Healthy Oatmeal Square for my afternoon snack.

DSCN3084.JPG

I followed the directions and heated it up in the microwave so the chocolate chips inside were gooey and yummy. Heated up it tasted like a warm and comforting chocolate chip cookie. I wouldn’t eat one for a snack every day but these Oatmeal Squares really are a yummy protein treat. πŸ™‚

After work I experienced New Thing #2 and followed in the paths of Erin and Kath and tried to walk and read a copy of Runner’s Magazine. I had time to kill before my TnT social, so I decided to take a lap around Lake Baldwin and entertain myself with a little light reading.

I have to say it was easier to read and walk then I would have thought. I had no problem keeping up a decent pace and managed to follow the path with out much need of looking up. However, I did get a lot of funny looks and even heard some girls whisper about ‘the weirdo walking and reading’ as they passed. Their conversation made me laugh.

I ended up finishing the 2.5 mile lap with just enough time to make me 10 minutes late to the social.. oh well.

The Team in Training social was actually our recommitment gathering. Basically I signed over my life, that I was fully commited to run the San Diego Marathon in May and that I will either finish raising the full $3900 or pay for the rest of it out of pocket. Now that’s commitment!

For the social we met up at Five Guys – a burger and fries joint that started popping up everywhere over the summer, but I have not actually had the chance to eat at yet.

DSCN3085.JPG

Their menu was pretty simple: burgers and fries.

As much as I love a good burger, I just was not in the mood for one tonight so I decided to just hold off on dinner and instead snacked on some random Peanuts that were in bulk boxes around the joint.

DSCN3086.JPG

When I arrived home around 7:00 I dug in my freezer to try my final new thing of the night…

DSCN3087.JPG

The Kashi Tuscan Veggie Bake.

We all know I am Kashi’s #1 fan so I was expecting big things from this frozen meal.

DSCN3091.JPG

Coming out of the package it was not the prettiest thing I have ever seen. It tasted ok, but a little bland. I was not impressed and sadly would not purchase this meal in the end.

Luckily the other portion of my meal made up for the lack lusterness of the first.

DSCN3092.JPG

I made a wonderfully fresh salad that contained Spinach, Mushrooms, Banana Peppers, Tomatoes, Sprouts, Pumpkin Seeds and a drizzle of Mango Poppyseed Dressing. It was delish!

DSCN3088.JPG

For dessert I had four Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies. πŸ™‚

DSCN3093.JPG

Now I am excited to watch the special features of my Twilight DVD. I can’t wait to see how the filming of the book went down!

Have a great night!!

1 lisaheartspizza March 23, 2009 at 7:20 pm

I used to read and walk ALL THE TIME!! haha I’m such a dork, I used to do it b/w classes in school or walking to classes(that was more reading and studying) but good for you for walking proud! Sad to hear about the Kashi, but at least they make tons of other delish products!

2 Bec March 23, 2009 at 7:20 pm

omg I don’t think I am skilled enough to walk and read!

3 Kimberly March 23, 2009 at 7:22 pm

OMG, Five Guys is SUCH a cult in the Washington, DC area (where the chain originated.) I couldn’t believe it when I saw they’d made it down to FL, though the lines down here aren’t nearly as long =)

That salad is perfection.

4 Sarah March 23, 2009 at 7:31 pm

I am def NOT coordinated enough to walk at a reasonable pace and read at the same time. Hello, face, meet treadmill belt. It tweren’t pretty.

5 Brandi March 23, 2009 at 7:48 pm

oh you missed out! Five Guys has the best burgers. IF you do go back, make sure to order the junior one (or whatever they call it) – the regular ones have double patties!

6 Amy C. March 23, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I can’t wait to finally watch my Twilight DVD. I got it from Amazon and the first one (that came a day early, I might add) was all scratched! I got my new one today and hope to watch it on Wednesday when I have some time off from work. πŸ™‚ Booooo to the girls who called you a weirdo! I think walking and reading rocks. After Kath mentioned it, I tried it with my notebook to study for a test. It totally worked.

7 Run Saraaah March 23, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Walking and reading sounds tricky…I walk and check email on my iPhone and people look at me funny! What a fun and exotic looking salad too…too bad about the Kashi though!

8 Derek March 23, 2009 at 9:52 pm

iphone owners for life!

and ya, i said it. I’m a big dork

9 Adi (oatonomy.com - now repaired!) March 23, 2009 at 8:24 pm

I so desperately wish I could find those Hot n’ Healthy bars where I live!

You are definitely an intuitive eater if you can turn down junk food at a burger joint – nice!!

10 Haleigh March 23, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I love thin mints! Delicious! Enjoy Twilight, I am definitely obsessed with Edward Cullen.. so hot and dark πŸ™‚

11 Meg March 23, 2009 at 8:33 pm

That’s a lot of new things in one day!!!! I love trying new things. Even when I don’t end up loving them, it’s nice knowing I went outside my little box!

12 Megan March 23, 2009 at 8:36 pm

haha my friends here at school are OBSESSED with five guys.. i’m not a huge burger person so i rarely end up going. and i love trying new food! especially when it turns out more delicious than you expected… definitely not the other way around though.

13 Mica March 23, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Yay for new things, especially for 5 Guys’ peanuts!

14 Meg March 23, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Thanks for the product review. I was wondering about that meal.

15 kristi March 23, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Ah man, I have that same Kashi dinner in my freezer. I was hoping you were going to say you loved it..darn!

Have a good night!

16 Ashley March 23, 2009 at 9:15 pm

If you ever are in the mood for a burger, Five Guys’ are pretty fabulous. They’re real burgers, not those sad little flat fast food numbers.

And I love your black and white plates!

17 inmytummy March 23, 2009 at 9:23 pm

I was eyeing that Kashi dinner in the grocery store. Sorry to hear it wasn’t that great. Have you tried any of the others? I like the shrimp one but always need to add a lot of salsa to spice it up.

18 inmytummy March 23, 2009 at 9:23 pm

19 Erin March 23, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Hahaha! Oh Meghann, I’m so glad you tried it (and flattered that you remembered me)! It’s nice to go somewhere that has a fairly consistent loop, right? I definitely got some weird looks too, and I also stepped on a half eaten lollipop so I had the stick on my shoe for awhile and didn’t notice. But otherwise it’s a great experience!
I’m sad your Kashi dinner was lackluster. It looks so pretty on the box!

20 Emily March 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm

I’ve never tried the burgers, but I am pretty obsessed with the 5Guys fries.

21 Amanda March 23, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Hey Meghann!

Thanks for posting about the No More Trouble Zones DVD this am. After loving The Shred and doing it about 3-4 times a week, I ordered this other Jillian DVD off Amazon and received it last week. I have to admit I have been a little nervous to commit more than 20 mins at a time to Jillian, but vowed to do it after work today upon reading your post. I really really liked it!!! It may have been the simple change from The Shred, but I think I liked that there was no cardio – I am perfectly fine to run on my own, but lifting has always been kindof a mystery to me. I can already tell that my triceps will be aching tomorrow πŸ™‚

Thanks again!!
Amanda

22 marafaye March 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm

I cannot walk and read! I seriously fall over and/or run into people. Quite embarrassing.

23 jenngirl March 24, 2009 at 12:12 am

I’m totally watching Twilight special feature right now too!! Oh my so good! πŸ™‚

24 Caroline March 24, 2009 at 12:13 am

Ooh! I have been meaning to try those new Kashi meals–that one looks great!

25 Ryane March 24, 2009 at 12:27 am

Oooh I haven’t seen those hot n healthy squares in chocolate chip. Have you had the cinnamon roll flavor? It is DELISH. I’m not as fond as the banana bread one as I thought I would be, but it’s not terrible either.

26 jesslikesithot March 24, 2009 at 12:58 am

I tried that kashi dish a few weeks back and also thought it was alright but nothing special, I smothered it in red chili flakes though so that made it better!! haha!! I’m salivating over your girl scouts cookies, that flavor has always been my fave!

27 wholefoodswholeme March 24, 2009 at 2:43 am

hi meghann πŸ˜€ firstly, because i haven’t commented about it, HUGE CONGRATS on your triathlon!! what an amazing achievement.

sorry about the disappointing kashi product… it’s a bit of a downer whenever things turn out like that. your salad and dessert look mighty good though πŸ™‚

28 coco March 24, 2009 at 4:29 am

I still can’t imagine me walking and reading! πŸ™‚ it must be fun!
trying out new products is so fun even they don’t turn out to be great, but it’s a great way to get out of the routine! πŸ˜€

29 Melissa S. March 24, 2009 at 6:10 am

i totally used to do the reading and walking all the time in college…it was the only way i could stay awake and study!

30 VeggieGirl March 24, 2009 at 6:47 am

Hooray for peanuts & GS cookies!! Sorry about that Kashi meal though πŸ™

31 Shelby March 24, 2009 at 7:03 am

Good thing I found your review before buying it! I was curious about that meal but now I’ll just stick to homemade meals.

I haven’t seen Twilight yet!!! I must get it soon =0

32 redheadyellowdog March 24, 2009 at 7:53 am

that side salad sounds sooo good. sprouts?? banana peppers?? sign me up!

33 Danielle March 24, 2009 at 8:04 am

That Kashi always looks so good in the store, i’m glad I never got it after your review.
I would so never be able to walk and read at the same time!

34 Quinn March 24, 2009 at 8:52 am

San Diego with TnT was my first marathon, too! Good luck – I hope you have as much fun as I did! But watch out for the banked incline around mile 10.5-12. It’s a killer, and can really mess up your IT band if you don’t run smartly.

35 Kath March 24, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Yay for the weirdo walking and reading!

36 Hangry Pants March 25, 2009 at 8:24 am

We have five guys in Hoboken. How odd.

Is the amount you have to raise for Team in Training the same for everyone for the same race? Also, how does it work as far as training together? I know you have practices with them, but you also do your own running, so what’s the deal? I am just curious. πŸ˜€