Morning Mess

by Meghann on March 19, 2009

It was the same old, same old in Graduate Meghann land this morning.

The alarm went off  at 5:30 this morning, I jumped out of bed, let Abbie out, then headed out the door for a 5.5 mile run.

I am starting to recognize the cars and people I run by every morning. There is the scary unmarked white van that drives with the lights on. There is the kid who waits for the bus outside of the second neighbor I loop around and there’s the man who walks his two white doggies – one on the leash and the other faithfully by his side with no leash required.

The familiarity of my surroundings is great and comfortable, but I have to admit it becomes a tad boring. At least when you know what to expect what the runs seem oddly shorter.

I was still on my Almond Butter high from yesterday when I made breakfast this morning. The results reminded me of one of Sammie’s Famous Messes and I quite enjoyed it.

DSCN2951

I started off by microwaving a chopped small Apple with Applesauce and a generous spoonful of Almond Butter. In the warm mix I folded in 1/2 cup Kashi H2H, 1/2 cup Kashi Cinnamon Harvest and 1/2 cup 365 Brand Peanut Butter Puffs.

DSCN2950

It really was a mess to eat, but the apple and almond butter combination was perfect. I took a cue from Abbie and licked my bowl clean in the end.

In Celebrity News….

Has everyone hear about actress Natasha Richardson who passed away yesterday from a head injury she sustained while skiing over the weekend?

The actress fell on a beginner trail and bumped her head. She was fully conscious and even joking about the incident. A couple of hours later she started complaining about a headache before being rushed to the hospital where she was considered brain dead after arrival. Seriously how scary is that? She was not wearing a helmet on the trail, nor was she required to.

I was never one to wear a helmet while skiing, but after discovering a helmet saved my Sister’s life on her bike and how not wearing one may have ended Natasha’s on the trail it really got me thinking that I should. I need to start preaching helmets for any sport, not just on bikes.

This weekend I have plans to go Roller Blading on a trail and even though a couple of weeks ago it would not even occur to me to wear a helmet, today I wouldn’t think of heading out with out one. It’s amazing how one incident changes your views on life.

So here is my PSA again for the millionth time, PLEASE WEAR A HELMET!

1 VeggieGirl March 19, 2009 at 7:54 am

Lovely mess!!

I was BEYOND devastated to hear about Natasha Richardson on the news – so tragic!! 🙁

2 Sarah W. March 19, 2009 at 8:00 am

I would never think to NOT wear a helmet while On an icy snowy mountaing! I went snowboard for the first time and was thankful for my helmet that I wore – I def fell on my head several times and on ice, not snow!!!

3 biz319 March 19, 2009 at 8:05 am

I agree with you – helmets no matter what!

My boss is just about to leave for a skiing trip for spring break with her family to Utah – before Natasha’s accident, she never would have considered wearning a helmet – and now her 70 year old mother is calling her to tell her to wear one!

Have a great day!

4 Danielle March 19, 2009 at 8:41 am

I never would have thought to wear a helmet skiing, althought it makes perfect sense!

5 chickenfingersandfoisgras March 19, 2009 at 8:44 am

Helmets are extremely important! Since I was young, my mom always made me wear a helmet while snowboarding. I always complained but I’ve seen it get pretty rough out there.

Your breakfast looks delish! I love big bowl of mess 🙂 today mine was pumpkin, yogurt, 1/2 nanner, chocolate chips, kashi flaw cereal and a scoop of maple peanutbutter.

Complete mess. yum!

6 emlit81 March 19, 2009 at 8:45 am

I totally agree with being familiar with your surroundings making the run feel shorter; whenever I do an out-and-back on a new course, I feel like the return trip is so much shorter than the first leg. You’d think it would work in the opposite direction–newer things make it go faster because there’s more to look at and distract you!

7 Katie March 19, 2009 at 8:45 am

Good PSA!

I dated a guy whose brother had died in a snowboarding accident and he wasn’t wearing a helmet.

8 tami March 19, 2009 at 8:52 am

do you think skiing places would require all guests helmets? i was talking to someone at the gym today about this. he said that instructors don’t wear them and feel they should to set an example….i live in New Hampshire where there isn’t a helmet law in place for motorcycles…Live Free Or Die is the motto of NH….

9 Meg March 19, 2009 at 8:57 am

It is so sad what happened to Natasha Richardson. I agree that helmet use should be emphasized more.

10 Amanda March 19, 2009 at 9:04 am

I started wearing a helmet while skiing a few years ago. At this point, most serious skiiers DO wear one, so it’s not like you look geeky or anything…. PLUS they really trap the heat and keep you a lot warmer! Even if you think you’re a great skiier, there are tons of people out there who AREN’T and conditions that can throw you for a loop. I really hope that everyone will learn something from this horrible story, and maybe they will pass a law.

11 fitforfree March 19, 2009 at 9:17 am

Ahhhh creepy unmarked white van! haha I think there’s one of those in every neighborhood!

Thanks for the PSA — you can never have too many reminders!

12 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 19, 2009 at 9:18 am

SO sad about Natasha Richardson. I can’t believe it! And to think she was joking about her fall right after. Helmets are so important!

13 Goldie March 19, 2009 at 9:34 am

Hi Meghann

I was looking at your boot camp work out (i’m thinking of putting together my own as I don’t have much space in my house but there is an empty car park near my house I could use in the evenings) and do you think that cross training and strength work is crucial to your running performance? I don’t cross train or strength train and I started running a few months ago and recently I found that I seemed to get weaker and weaker on my runs (sometimes struggling to run 2 miles when before I was managing 5 miles). So i have started yoga and a small amount of cycling and strength training to hopefully improve my performance.

how important is cross training and strength training in relation to your running?

(still loving the blog!)

Goldie

14 Meghann March 19, 2009 at 9:45 am

Hi Goldie!

Yes, I believe cross training for running is EXTREMELY important. It’s only in the last couple of months when I have made an effort in including speed work, boot camps, cycling, yoga and so on and so on, that I have seen a significant improvement with my running in both endurance and speed. Your body needs to have strength to run so you need to make sure to build that strength up in other areas as well.

If you are a cardio junkie like I am, then I highly suggest trying the boot camp work out method. That way you are strengthening your legs and arms, while getting great bursts of cardio in and working up a sweat. If you have any specific questions about any of the moves in the boot camp please let me know. Or if you add any moves that you think are beneficial to the work out let me know as well. I am always looking for new things to try and would love to give your version of the boot camp a whirl.

Thanks!!

15 brandi March 19, 2009 at 9:56 am

yeah, I was so sad to hear about Natasha Richardson! I would have never though to wear a helmet where she was either, but it’s so important!

16 NAOmni March 19, 2009 at 9:56 am

My boyfriend showed me that story this morning…really horrifying…and all of my friends are skiers it seems like which makes me equally antsy since I am not a skier and therefore have nothing to base my feelings off of except things like this and Sonny Bono…oh my….

But kudos once again for championing helmets. I’m still probably a good 4 years from being a parent, but this has made me start thinking…I’m so laid back I don’t know how vigilant I would have been about helmet use otherwise!

NAOmni

17 livinginmotionann March 19, 2009 at 10:03 am

Until recently I also have belonged to the reckless ones, these have not worn any helmet. I have skied without helmet, I have ridden without helmet and I have rollerbladed without helmet. But since I have had a little accident with my rollerblades last year, where I have broken my nose and have incurred various contusions and since there was the ski accident in Austria in which a German politician was involved, I only make these things with helmet now. I simply feel safer, now.

18 Yasmin March 19, 2009 at 10:10 am

Oh how tragic! I heard she had an accident but did not realize she passed away.

19 Emily March 19, 2009 at 10:11 am

So sad about Natasha Richardson! I would have never considered wearing a helmet to ski either, but the story has definitely made me think twice about wearing one for sports activities.

I know what you mean about getting bored by predictable scenery. The runs do feel shorter, though, but I’ve heard it’s also good to mix it up for safety (so you don’t become too predictable).

20 innerwellness March 19, 2009 at 10:15 am

That scares me about the actress that passed away, my husband goes skiing off the slopes several times a year. He does wear a helmet though so I guess that is all you can do if you love action sports.

The breakfast “mess” looks yummy, mmm cereal!!

21 Becca A March 19, 2009 at 10:20 am

It is so tragic about Natasha Richardson.
I used to snowboard and it never occurred to me to wear a helmet (and surprisingly er doc dad did not ever suggest it). You’d think skiers and snowboarders would think to wear one since you are typically going downhill fairly quickly with trees on either side of you, other enthusiasts, and hidden dangers in the snow but most people only think they are necessary if you do tricks. Luckily all my falls were on my knees or butt but I did get knocked into one time and sent flying. I bashed my shoulder up well that time and it easily could have been my head.

22 Sara March 19, 2009 at 10:31 am

I can’t believe about Natasha Richardson! It’s so crazy that she seemed fine after it happened and now she’s gone. I cannot imagine how hard it must be for her family.

On a lighter note, your breakfast mess looks delish!

23 Marissa March 19, 2009 at 10:38 am

So tragic

24 Sarah March 19, 2009 at 10:40 am

Wow, I caught a bit of this on the news last night, but I didn’t know she passed away. I also saw a big story today on the importance of helmets, and I immediately thought of Kelly. Props to you for again raising awareness about the importance of helmets. I really need to get some for my girls before the summer starts, even if they are just riding big wheels.

25 Run Saraaah March 19, 2009 at 10:50 am

The news about Natasha Richardson is so sad…a helmet is so important whenever doing any potentially dangerous sport.

26 Holly March 19, 2009 at 11:01 am

Your messy breakfast looks perfect to me! I love nuking apples but never thought to add applesauce…yum.

That is SO horrible about Natasha Richardson. Part of why skiing terrifies me. 🙁 I completely agree….20 years ago, NO one wore helmets to bike – maybe this could initiate a change?

27 Ryan (Chase Daylight) March 19, 2009 at 11:15 am

That’s so terrible about Natasha Richardson! I LOVED her in Parent Trap. Definitely, WEAR A HELMET!

28 Hangry Pants March 19, 2009 at 11:17 am

It is sad about Natasha Richardson and I definitely thought of your sister when I heard the helment news.

29 seesaraheat March 19, 2009 at 11:31 am

I was really sad to hear she had died. I agree with you and I think any sport or activity we’re doing where we could potentially fall and hit our head, there needs to be a helmet involved!

I really hope something good can come out of such a tragedy.

30 ksgoodeats March 19, 2009 at 11:35 am

I’m really sad she died as well – I’ve received quite a few concussions while training (can’t wear helmets in my sport) and just the thought of potentially becoming brain dead scares me!

31 Sammie March 19, 2009 at 11:58 am

Thanks for the shout out. I am glad you had a yummy breakfast.

32 Elina March 19, 2009 at 11:58 am

OMG, that IS scary and SO sad! I am a firm believer in wearing helmets with your recent stories. My husband is getting a motorcycle soon and I forward him a link to your sister’s story, reminding him how important it is to wear a helmet. He’s good about it already, but reinforcement is always good.
SO sad…

33 Erin March 19, 2009 at 12:45 pm

You are right about helmets, but its something I only thought of for biking. Its so scary what can happen.
On a lighter night, almond butter is amazing, I’m glad you rediscovered it!

34 Jenn (eating bender) March 19, 2009 at 1:43 pm

I was so sad to read about Natasha Richardson. It is absolutely terrifying and my heart goes out to her family. Thank you for bringing it up – it definitely gives more reason to keep on wearing that helmet.

35 jesslikesithot March 19, 2009 at 1:46 pm

It was so shocking to hear about her death, it truly shows us how important helmets are!!! She could have used one, and your sister’s saved her life!!

On a lighter note….microwaved apple sauce + almond butter has become my new favorite snack this week!!!!! it’s really the perfect combination!!!
I’m going to have to try a cereal mess with that combo soon! 🙂

36 lauren (athlEAT) March 19, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Such tragic news about natasha richardson. and an important PSA to wear a helmet…they save lives.

37 Allison K March 19, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Excellent PSA.
My Cousin died four years ago this month in a skiing accident. She grew up in Lake Tahoe and was an expert skiier. If she’d had on a helmet, she probably would be alive today.
So, always wear a helmet, always tell you friends what trail you are on, and never ski alone!

(sorry I had to add my own PSA in there!)

38 Meg March 19, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Your breakfast looks awesome!

Thanks for the PSA again! I think we all need a reminder about this stuff now and again!

39 Joe March 29, 2009 at 6:44 pm

the loss of Natasha Richardson makes think i might wear a helmet next time I go skiing