Boot Camp Revamped

by Meghann on March 18, 2009

Top o’ the Morning To Ya!

Oh wait.. it’s not St. Patty’s Day anymore… Ratz! I guess I will need to snap out of the green fun and stray back to the normal routine. Bah Humbug!

Well, not totally the normal routine. I decided to revamp my Tennis Court Boot Camp this morning and created a Stairwell Boot Camp of sorts. If you want your calves to burn I suggest you give this one a shot!

First I started with a 20 minute warm up run around my apartment complex.

Next I repeated the routine below 5 times

• 5 Sprints up and down my stairwell (I live on the second floor)
  • 1 minute Jump Rope (with an actual jump rope!)
  • 10 Push Ups
  • 50 Crunches
  • 50 Butt Kicks
  • 50 Jumping Jacks
  • 50 Punches

I would have thrown some lunges in there as well, but I knew I was going to be doing my 30 Day Shred DVD after work and a girl can only take so many lunges and squats in one day.

The mix of stair sprints and jump rope really had my calves burning and I was sweating up a storm by the end. I cooled down with some spur of the moment yoga I made up in my living room. I stretched with Child’s Pose, Downward Dog and different variations of Warrior. I love when I stretch myself out using yoga.

Since I had revamped my boot camp I revamped my breakfast as well.

DSCN2915

I had my obligatory bowl of Fruit and Yogurt.

DSCN2918

In the bowl I had Strawberries, a Plum, Kiwi, Lemon Curd (I’m telling you this stuff ROCKS in any fruit & yogurt mix) and some Honey Oikos.

And for something new I had an Open Face Egg Sammy with my second Stovetop Baking Soda Biscuit.

DSCN2917

I lightly toasted the biscuit this morning then slathered with Strawberry Preserves and a total of 1/3 cup of Egg White split between the two halves.

I was going to just make a plain egg sandwich but the bowl I used to microwave the egg white was wide so it looked like more egg then there was. I cut the egg in half and it was perfect amount to split between the two ‘buns’.

It was a great morning work out and a great morning breakfast.

Do you ever get bored of the same old routines and need to revamp it to try something new? I think this has to be my 10th or so variation of my boot camp work out and each time I change it up it presents a new and exciting challenge.

— Something New! —

Some of you may have noticed I added a new page to my blog ^up above^ called My Favorite Posts. It’s a quick reference to all of my favorite posts since I started blogging in September. It also has quick links to my Race Recaps and Blogging 101 series.

Check it out!

1 Meg March 18, 2009 at 7:42 am

That sounds like an intense boot camp. Good for you for doing that and the shred in the same day!

2 Mica March 18, 2009 at 7:42 am

Ooh, I love your morning revamps! Have a great Wednesday, Meghann!

3 Susan March 18, 2009 at 7:52 am

I’ve thought about running the stairwells in my apartment building, but I’m too embarrassed! Not to mention, scared I’ll knock someone down! 😛 Ours are really small and narrow though (I live on the 4th floor)

4 Cara March 18, 2009 at 8:01 am

What Brand of Lemon Curd to you eat? Its hard to find that stuff where I live….
Thanks!

5 brandi March 18, 2009 at 8:04 am

yup — i get bored easily with stuff, so I need to make little changes every now and then.

great breakfast! i need to buy some lemon curd to try in yogurt.

6 Kate March 18, 2009 at 8:09 am

good for you for getting in a good sweat session! Eggs are def a fav breakfast staple, yet I dont make them enough! sounds delish.

7 fitforfree March 18, 2009 at 8:19 am

your fruit salads always look so yummy! I definitely need to mix things up — the stair idea is a great one (although I think my neighbors would kill me if I did that in our building! hehe)

8 VeggieGirl March 18, 2009 at 8:20 am

I LIVE for routine 😀

Happy Wednesday, dear Meghann!!

9 Sarah March 18, 2009 at 8:22 am

dang, looks like a great workout!

10 runningveggie March 18, 2009 at 8:27 am

Whenever I feel lazy, I make myself run up and down the two sets of stairs at home. I look kind of crazy slipping and sliding all over the wood floors, but it’s worth it. It’s surprisingly difficult too!

11 Emily March 18, 2009 at 8:46 am

Love the kiwi…haven’t found any at my grocery yet.

I do get tired of my workouts, so I like to change it up, too. Plus, I think it’s better to add variety into workouts to make sure you’re exercising different muscles.

Have a great day, Meghann!

12 Trish (girlatgym) March 18, 2009 at 9:03 am

Intense boot camp! I like to change things up every so often – even if I just throw in one new move.

13 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 18, 2009 at 9:05 am

Love the new breakfast! Looks delicious!! I am glad you added the new section! I was thinking about doing this myself. Sometimes the best stuff just gets lost in the archives =)

14 Sharon March 18, 2009 at 9:17 am

Scrumptious breakfast. Love the fruits!

15 Rose March 18, 2009 at 9:23 am

That bootcamp looks intense. Great morning workout!

16 Sarah March 18, 2009 at 9:23 am

i’m so impressed by your self-led bootcamp! it’s awesome that you don’t have to be dependent on a trainer or class to get such a workout.

i just bought lemon curd yesterday for the first time in years. it feels so fancy to eat! i made lemon-meringue oats this morning and thought i might have died and gone to heaven …

17 Kristi March 18, 2009 at 9:33 am

Ohhh I’m going to try that workout soon! I need some new variations in my workout routines. Thanks!

18 Run Saraaah March 18, 2009 at 9:49 am

Your routine sounds like a lot of fun/good workout…I should start doing something like that! I’ve been trying to incorporate more situps & pushups once in awhile, but yours look like much more fun!

19 Wiggs March 18, 2009 at 10:02 am

Oooo I love the bootcamp! It’s always hard for me to push myself during strength-training – I like how you already have a routine worked out before you start. I’m going to try that on my next strength day!

Also, your egg sammy – um, best breakfast EVER! I looooove making those little guys. I always put a sprinkle of cheese and a slice of turkey bacon on mine.

20 Missy (Missy Maintains) March 18, 2009 at 10:22 am

Sounds like an amazing workout! Love the biscuit and egg sandwich! I recently have been getting bored with the same old elliptical action but the 30 Day Shred is helping a lot! I am also taking more classes at the gym like Kickboxing!

21 Haleigh March 18, 2009 at 10:27 am

Love the revamped breakfast!! Delicious!

22 Sarah March 18, 2009 at 10:32 am

I missed your tennis court boot camps…I was always so impressed that you could do that to yourself. (that’s what she said????)

Glad to know there will be post-St. Patty’s day weekend festivities!

23 bobbi March 18, 2009 at 10:39 am

love the new boot camp!

24 bobbi March 18, 2009 at 10:40 am

can I post this on my next workout tip Wednesday?

25 ksgoodeats March 18, 2009 at 10:59 am

I love your fruit bowls – they remind me so much of summer 🙂

I get bored with routine but only after I’ve been stuck with that routine for ages!!

26 NAOmni March 18, 2009 at 11:16 am

Sounds like everything is going great! Re-vamping my blog, or updating it, or whatever is such a great feeling, glad to see you got a new tab made!

NAOmni

27 elise March 18, 2009 at 12:16 pm

yeah, i get really sick of the same old same old….good thing i have all these blogs to give me ideas!! ps your green earrings yesterday were FABulous!!

28 Marianne March 18, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I don’t necessarily get sick of my regular workouts, but they are never the same twice. I might do a different amount of time/resistance on a machine, add/subtract different stength training stuff, up the weights, etc. I don’t tend to make alot of drastic changes, but enough to keep it interesting, and to feel different muscles being worked.

29 angelcubbie March 18, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Great workout! I like to switch it up too, right now my current fave switch it up workout is:

run for 20 minutes, then turn to run back, on your way back, run 30 seconds, drop do ten lunges, run thirty seconds, drop do 10 squats, repeat until you get home. Killer workout! Gets you some funny lookouts though.

30 strawberryshortstuff March 18, 2009 at 12:26 pm

oh man. your dessert looks amazing!
diana

31 Danielle March 18, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I hate getting used to workouts so I try to intensify them every so often.
I hate running up stairs, I have to go up 3 flights everyday to get into my apartment and would hate to have to run up them haha.

32 Matt March 18, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I try to switch up my running and weight routine every so often so I don’t get bored. I like changing the distance, route, pace, ect…