more ยป" />

Almond Butter, Never Leave Me!

by Meghann on March 18, 2009

The other weekend I broke down at Whole Foods and purchased a brand new jar of Almond Butter. Oh how I missed my Almond Butter! Because of the high $$ on Almond Butter, I had been purchasing the much cheaper Cashew Butter version. Not the same by any means, but it got the job done.

Today I finally opened that elusive jar of Almond Butter and took in that delicious aroma that is Roasted Chunky Almonds. I filled up a little container and packed an Orange for an afternoon treat.

DSCN2931.JPG

Oh good heaven, I forgot how great this stuff is!! Especially with the Orange!! Once the orange was gone I was dipping my finger into the Almond Butter straight and licking every gooey bit. Never again will I stray away from my Chunky Almond Butter, Cashew Butter is officially dead to me. ;)

I was still in almond butter bliss when I arrived home after work and completed day 9 of my 30 Day Shred Level 1. My calves were still feeling my morning Boot Camp so I took the lunges very easy and enjoyed some extra stretching after the DVD. I am a big believer that you can not get enough stretching in in one day.

I spent my day today dreaming up what to do with the Orange Tomatoes I purchased at the Farmer’s Market on Sunday.

DSCN2933.JPG

These babies looked so lovely and unusual I could not walk away without purchasing.

After much brainstorming and googling I decided to try an impromtu Stuffed Tomato using ingredients in my fridge. They came out fabulous!

DSCN2935.JPG

My Easy Stuffed Tomatoes

• 2 Tomatoes
  • 1/3 pound Ground Turkey
  • 1/4 Onion
  • 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
  • 1/2 cup cooked Rice (I used left over Kashi Morraccan Curry Pilaf)
  • 1/2 Roasted Red Pepper
  • Coriander
  • Ginger
  • Oregano
  • S & P
  • Jalapeno Sharp Cheddar
  1. Cut the tops of the tomatoes off and core the inside
  2. In a small pan brown the ground turkey, add the onion halfway through the cooking process
  3. Once the turkey is cooked add the cooked rice, roasted red pepper, tomato sauce and spices
  4. When the mixture is heated and the flavors are combined fill the tomatoes with the tomato mixture
  5. Top the tomatoes with cheese and place under the broiler for 10 minutes

DSCN2946.JPG

I’m not sure if it was the use of the Kashi Morraccan Curry Pilaf in the stuffing or the seasonings, but boy oh boy these were GOOD!! Seriously good! Or maybe it was the orange tomato that gave it a little extra something? Either way I would happily make these again.

DSCN2934.JPG

With the Stuffed Tomatoes I had Steamed Broccoli and a slice of Pumpernickle Toast.

Dessert was half of a Kit Kat Blondie with Fat Free Cool Whip and Strawberries.

DSCN2947.JPG

Tasty, Tasty, Tasty!

Hump day is almost over, which means we’re half way through the week! Woo hoo!!

I seriously live for the weekend. :)

1 lisaheartspizza March 18, 2009 at 7:55 pm

almond butter is good and all but so is cashew butter! no?!? I actually prefer it but I guess we just have different taste buds….not about your dinner and desert though they both look yum

2 Sarah March 18, 2009 at 8:20 pm

even i agree that some things are worth the splurge :D

your stuffed tomatoes look delicious — great job throwing together a gourmet meal from odds ‘n’ ends. that’s how the best food always comes about!

3 Ryan March 18, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Oh your cheesy topping on those is irresistible! Delicious!

$6 for AB isn’t even the worst of it…here in Gainesville you’re lucky to find any under $10 a jar! Lucky WF sells a cheaper option :)

4 Derek March 18, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Ok, fine. You win again. The tomato looks great. You have much to teach me! And Ryan…Gainesville? Eww…

5 JJ March 18, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Dinner looks awesome! (and so creative!!!)

Question: Do you plan out your meals in the beginning of the week or when you need to go grocery shopping? I’m curious because finally next year I will be getting an apartment at school (and getting away from the crappy school food).. and I was curious about how much you spend a week on groceries (you dont have to answer that .. if thats too personal or of a question) .. i can’t wait to try some of your awesome recipes for dinners :-)

6 Meghann March 19, 2009 at 6:03 am

I used to plan my meals at the beginning of the week, but lately I find it harder to plan and have just been cooking on the whim. I do dedicated Sunday as my grocery shopping day and get all my groceries in then. I roughly buy the same things each week, unless there is something new on sale, if you notice my meals usually contain the same ingredients. :) THe bill hovers around $50 each week. I think that’s good considering I don’t really eat out during the week so thats three meals for 7 days a week

7 Red Head, Yellow Dog March 18, 2009 at 9:23 pm

those stuffed tomatoes look fantastic!! I love the yellow color to them!

8 Rose March 18, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Good call with the tomatoes! I don’t like them – but if I did, I’d probably try this recipe :)

I live for the weekends too. Today was my first day back to work this week, and I still can’t believe it’s only Wednesday. What’s wrong with me?!?

9 runningwithin March 18, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I’ve never had Cashew butter, I know I’m going to be shunned in blogworld for saying this, but I think I like PB better than Almond butter. However, I’ve never had Barney Butter, i’m scared to try it because it’s so expensive I don’t want to love it! lol. Ever since I tried Fage, I can’t go back to normal yogurt, I think I need just one super expensive weekly grocery splurge in my like.

10 Meghann March 19, 2009 at 6:04 am

I don’ like Barney Butter, but plain ole Whole Foods brand Almond Butter is perfect for me

11 runningwithin March 18, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I’ve never had Cashew butter, I know I’m going to be shunned in blogworld for saying this, but I think I like PB better than Almond butter. However, I’ve never had Barney Butter, i’m scared to try it because it’s so expensive I don’t want to love it! lol. Ever since I tried Fage, I can’t go back to normal yogurt, I think I need just one super expensive weekly grocery splurge in my life.

12 Hangry Pants March 18, 2009 at 10:05 pm

If you can find cheap almonds it’s very easy to make your own butter – if you have a food processor.

13 carolinebee March 18, 2009 at 11:45 pm

I agree on the almond butter- i tried cashew this weekend and wasn’t really a fan! What brand did u get of AB..i’ve only had Maranatha, so delish. Why are the most expensive things so much freakin better?? I love those orange tomatoes i’m on a hunt now :D

14 Kristine March 19, 2009 at 12:05 am

oh yum! those stuffed tomatoes look delicious!

15 Sarah March 19, 2009 at 12:58 am

I don’t even like tomatoes, but Meghann, I like yours ;)

16 Leah March 19, 2009 at 2:22 am

I absolutely LOVE weekends… can’t wait!!

I have never tried almond butter… i’l have to get some sometime I think!

17 Erica March 19, 2009 at 6:01 am

Yummy stuffed tomatoes! I love REAL fresh tomatoes- they make the stuff they sell at the foodstore seem like a completely different fruit! I totally live for the weekends too! This week is draggggggggggging

18 Meg March 19, 2009 at 6:08 am

I didn’t see that they were orange tomatoes and I thought you were cooking with oranges! I wasn’t too sure about it until I went back and read it again…. :)

19 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 19, 2009 at 6:09 am

Girl, your meals are always so creative! I love it!

I hear you on the AB. CAN’T GET ENOUGH!!!

20 VeggieGirl March 19, 2009 at 6:53 am

HOLY YUM EATS!!!!!

21 Sarah W. March 19, 2009 at 8:00 am

those tomatoes look delish!

ditto on making your own almond butter – I plan to when my jars run out :)

22 Danielle March 19, 2009 at 8:38 am

I still have not tried almond butter but I’ve been meaning to pick some up.
Love your stuffed tomatoes they look great!

23 brandi March 19, 2009 at 9:54 am

those tomatoes look great! i need to try the orange with almond butter – I keep forgetting!

24 Mica March 19, 2009 at 9:57 am

Yum, those tomatoes look amazing. I wish the spring would hurry up and get here so I could buy some nice tomatoes, i.e. ones worthy of your recipe!

25 dailygoods March 19, 2009 at 10:00 am

i love your stuffed veggie! you never cease to impress meeee!

26 Run Saraaah March 19, 2009 at 10:49 am

I love MaraNatha almond butter and it’s a really decent price at Costco…I was shocked to see it for $15 at WF! Those tomatoes look so cute and delicious!

27 lauren (athlEAT) March 19, 2009 at 11:37 am

Your stuffed orange tomatoes look amazing!!! great recipe and love the color of those things…so bright. The cheapest brand of almond butter i can find is maranatha and I LOVE it…so it is worth it. I need to start rationing this out though because i go through it TOO fast.

28 Elina March 19, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Those look incredible, Meghann! I’m saving the recipe. :)

29 elise March 19, 2009 at 5:20 pm

holy yum those look good

30 ttfn300 March 19, 2009 at 7:16 pm

wow, awesome job with those tomatoes!!

31 Susan March 19, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I NEED to try almond butter on oranges asap!! Clearly, AB is good with everything!! :P

32 Marianne March 26, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Perhaps I’m just weird, but I actually prefer cashew butter to almond butter. But I also like cashews better than almonds, so that probably has something to do with it.