Luck of the Irish

by Meghann on March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

I hope everyone is wearing something green… don’t want anyone being pinched out there. 😉

I am actually wearing a green top I purchased in Ireland when I visited there last year. I flew out to Ireland on March 20, missing the St. Patrick’s Day celebration over there by three days!! I still had a great time and would love to go back, I can’t believe it has been a full year since my visit!

Unfortunately the trip to Ireland was an ill fated trip for my camera at the time. I took all of these wonderful pictures on the visit, only to discover my camera was missing when I boarded the plan back to the U.S. never to be seen again. I did manage to steal some pics from my travel companions and what better day to reminisce in the memoires of Ireland then on the day that celebrates its heritage?

Our first adventure off of the plane was to tour the Guiness Factory. This was at 9:00am on a Sunday morning I might add.

We stayed in Northern Ireland and were able to visit the Giant’s Causeway

Enniskillen

The traditional Irish breakfast, an Ulster Fry… i.e. Heart Attack on a Plate. You have your Fried Potato Bread, Soda Bread, Fried Egg, Sausage, Bacon, Mushroom, Grilled Tomato, Baked Beans, Chips and of course and an Ice Cold Pint to wash it all down with. 🙂

Don’t worry I only had one of these the entire trip and it was gooood!!

Now back to present day America where I didn’t wake up to the rolling country side of green as far as the eye can see…. sigh….

Instead I awoke to the dark early morning dew and ran a healthy 5.5 miles in 48 minutes.

And there was also no Ulster Fry on my menu, though looking at the picture above really has me craving one! Instead I had my traditional bowl of cereal, at least I tried to give it some St. Patrick’s Day flare by putting it in a green bowl. 🙂

DSCN2885

I had 1/2 cup Kashi Honey Sunshine, 1/2 cup 365 Brand Cinnasnaps, 1/2 cup 365 Bran Peanut Putter Puffs, Strawberries and Oiskos Honey Yogurt.

DSCN2886

A traditional Irish breakfast or not, it was still a yummy bowl of cereal to me! 🙂

How are you celebrating St. Patrick’s Day today? Are you wearing green? Any traditional Irish beer or meals in your future?

1 Jenny March 17, 2009 at 7:37 am

I’m celebrating by going to the doctor’s 🙁 haha! I’ve had this junk in my nose/throat since February…I just hate Dr’s so never go.

I’m wearing a green eyeshadow look though! 🙂 HAHA!

KISS ME I’M IRISH!!

2 Caitlin March 17, 2009 at 7:40 am

they are doing a tour of the Guiness Factory on The Today Show right now!

have a good day!

3 Erin D. March 17, 2009 at 7:49 am

I studied abroad in Dublin last spring, so I was there for St. Patrick’s Day! I’ve never seen so many people in one city at a time – you couldn’t move anywhere! Still, it was the BEST time ever.

This year I’m eating a nice dinner of corned beef & cabbage & soda bread, drinking a Guinness (and maybe some Jameson), and reminiscing!

4 VeggieGirl March 17, 2009 at 7:49 am

LOOOOVELY photos!!

I’m celebrating by wearing the green bracelet that I wore in my current video post 😀

HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY TO YA!!

5 Kate March 17, 2009 at 8:04 am

O M G I am drooling over the Irish breakfast! And of course you should get a good Irish feast in! Btw you look absolutely GORGEOUS in your pic!

6 gina (fitnessista) March 17, 2009 at 8:13 am

i LOVE the ireland pics– i’m hoping we can make a stop during our europe trip. soda bread rocks my face off
tonight i will be celebrating with a hefty glass (or 3) of green baileys and almond milk 😀
have a wonderful day!

7 Mica March 17, 2009 at 8:16 am

Love the pictures! Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Meghann!

I’m celebrating by…going to class. Boo!

8 brandi March 17, 2009 at 8:22 am

beautiful pictures! I want to travel so bad!

I AM wearing green, but no green beer or Irish meals, unfortunately.

9 dailydulcie March 17, 2009 at 8:44 am

very nice pictures!!

every st. patty’s day my mom makes corned beef & cabbage with potatoes..

I’ll be having a veggie burger with the cabbage & potatoes because I do not eat eat. Still delicious though!

10 dailydulcie March 17, 2009 at 8:44 am

eat meat*

11 Natalie March 17, 2009 at 9:06 am

Sounds like a great trip!

I’ll definitely be wearing green today. 🙂

12 Rose March 17, 2009 at 9:10 am

I’m not sure how… but I totally forgot today was St. Pat’s day.

13 tami March 17, 2009 at 9:12 am

many years ago i saw u2 in the old boston garden on st. patrick’s day…..it was crazy!

14 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 17, 2009 at 9:20 am

I’m so jealous you got to go to Ireland! I’d love to make that trip someday

15 NAOmni March 17, 2009 at 9:26 am

Sigh. I was in Ireland this summer. I have all those same photos and did all those same things. I miss it terribly. I will be wearing green and drinking heavy beer today in Boston. I guess that’s not a bad second.

NAOmni

16 Elina March 17, 2009 at 9:31 am

Oh man, I hate when your camera mysteriously dissapears after an awesome trip. The same thing happened to me when I was in Cannes in France and it was stolen by a group of Americans(!!) I couldn’t believe my new “buddies” would take my old camera. That sucked!
I’m not really celebrating today being Moldovian (not Irish). It is fun to see all the green in the blog world though 🙂

17 Ryane March 17, 2009 at 9:33 am

I made these aaaamazing cupcakes (http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/01/car-bomb-cupcakes/) and they are totally coming with me on the irish pub crawl that starts this afternoon.

Hopefully you have a pint or two in your future!

18 Sarah March 17, 2009 at 10:10 am

ohhhhhhhh, ireland, i miss it! probably the most beautiful and peaceful place i’ve ever visited.

i love your green bowl, and i’m wearing green today, too 🙂

19 Katie March 17, 2009 at 10:14 am

I panicked when I looked in my closet because there was a distinct lack of green. I did find one mint green polo shirt to wear for the occasion. No green beer for me today because of the little one on the way. I might pick up a special brew for my husband on the way home, though.

Your Ireland pictures are gorgeous. Sorry about your camera.

20 Missy (Missy Maintains) March 17, 2009 at 10:16 am

Love the green cereal bowl! I am not wearing green but I plan to drink green beer later!!!

21 lauren (athlEAT) March 17, 2009 at 10:17 am

great ireland pics! i went to the guiness brewery while we were there too and couldnt get over the beans for breakfast…

I am celebrating by wearing green and making corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight! I am thinking of picking up some guiness too…but we shall see!

22 Sarah March 17, 2009 at 10:21 am

What a cool post!

I’m planning on wearing a green blouse and maybe throwing some spinach in my shake. I know, I’m a wild woman.

23 Hallie March 17, 2009 at 10:23 am

Wow that is a BREAKFAST lol.

I’m wearing green, but I wasn’t even thinking about what day it was when I picked out my outfit. I’d be pissed if anyone at work pinched me, though, so it’s probably for the best 😉

24 Holly March 17, 2009 at 10:24 am

I am totally wearing green today. 🙂

I went to Ireland, wow…5 five years ago. I LOVE IT there! Those pictures make me want to go back. I had my first Guiness there….and I’m in love.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

25 FoodsThatFit March 17, 2009 at 10:28 am

What a cool trip! My husband actually lived in Ireland for 2 years and loved it. He said it rained constantly, but was beautiful.

I love looking at his pics from his time there and hope he’ll take me back there someday!

Have a great St. Patty’s Day!

26 Danielle March 17, 2009 at 10:33 am

I totally forgot to wear green!
But I do have some irish soda bread to eat tonight with my dinner.
Great pics of Ireland, I’ve always wanted to go there.

27 rhodeygirltests March 17, 2009 at 10:35 am

pretty picture! love your hair all curled up!

i’ve lost my camera more times than i’d like to admit. and it sucks every time. at least your travel friends had some cute pics to share!

28 Hangry Pants March 17, 2009 at 10:57 am

What is this pinching thing?

29 ksgoodeats March 17, 2009 at 11:00 am

LOVE the pictures! Ireland is on my list of places to go!!

I have a feeling there may be a green beer in my future – at work no less!

30 Christy March 17, 2009 at 11:02 am

My husband and I are heading to Ireland in a few weeks!! Any must sees?? We will be in Southern Ireland.

31 Bec March 17, 2009 at 11:32 am

I love the giants causeway! I remember being so amazed by it the first time I saw it… and I still am 🙂

32 Marissa March 17, 2009 at 11:32 am

Your trip looks like a lot of fun 🙂

33 zestycook March 17, 2009 at 11:51 am

Super fun post Meghann!! I love the photos and the breakfast 🙂

34 Run Saraaah March 17, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I probably won’t celebrate, but I will try to dig out green top to wear. Awesome photos – I’d love to visit Ireland one day.

35 Bobbi March 17, 2009 at 12:33 pm

So jelouse I have always wanted to go Ireland:) hubbys birthday is today so were going To Disneyland!!!

36 Meg March 17, 2009 at 6:11 pm

That breakfast is ridiculous! It looks so good though!

I don’t think Tapas are too traditional, but that’s the plan for tonight!!!

Sucks about your camera, but those pictures are beautiful!