more ยป" />

Just Do It

by Meghann on March 17, 2009

I was dreading day 8 of my 30 Day Shred. For some reason I just could not fathom working out. I was tired, lazy and wanting to start dinner. However, instead of stalling like I knew I wanted to, I put the DVD in as soon as I walked in the door and could make up other excuses.

It felt great to get my time with Jillian Micheals in even before I had a chance to sit down. Though I had no desire at all for the 20 minute DVD I was glad I did it and even gladder that I completed it right when I walked in the door.

In anticipation of my super duper post work shredding plans I had a bag of Almonds around 4:00.

DSCN2902.JPG

Ok, so they really weren’t in anticipation of work out, they were just because I was plain hungry at 4:00. But they did hold me over during my work out and the 45 minutes or so it took me to cook dinner afterwards. ๐Ÿ™‚

I owe my tasty dinner to two wonderful blogs and their inspiring recipes.

DSCN2911.JPG

For the main meal I decided to test out Kath’s Nutty Vanilla Sweet Potato + Kale Soup after seeing so many raving about it in the blog world.

DSCN2908.JPG

It was really easy to make. I did add onions to the mix, had Dates instead of Raisens, and Pecans in place of the Peanuts on top.

DSCN2906.JPG

The soup had a very interesting flavor to it, it was smooth, sweet and spicy. I really enjoyed the addition of the salted pecans on top, the saltiness of the pecans complimented the sweetness of the soup perfectly. I do think this soup is not meant for those afraid to try new things, but I have to say I quite enjoyed it.

WIth the soup I whipped up half a batch of Maggie’s Stovetop Baking Soda Biscuits.

DSCN2909.JPG

OMG MAGGIE YOU ARE A GENIOUS!!!!

My batch made two and they were so quick and easy to make. I cut one in half and was pleasantly surprised how perfect the texture was after being ‘baked’ on the stove top. The hearty soda biscuit was wonderful with the soup. I already have plans to make an egg sandwich with the other tomorrow.

Here is my variation of Maggie’s Stovetop Baking Soda Biscuits

• 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 tablespoon Oatmeal
  • 1 teaspoon Sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • Dash of Sale
  • 1/8 cup Fat Free Milk
  • 3 spoonfuls Applesauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
  1. Mix together the dry ingredients – flour, oatmeal, sugar, baking soda, salt
  2. In a separate bowl combine the milk and applesauce
  3. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, then add the vinegar and add a splash of milk as needed if dough is too dry
  4. Shape into two biscuits
  5. Cook biscuits stovetop in a greased pan over low-medium heat covered for 13 minutes
  6. Flip them and cook uncovered for another 13 minutes

Trust me give this recipe a try. It’s very easy and very worth the experiment. They come out almost like english muffins, just like real soda bread in Ireland always reminded me of. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dessert tonight was 1/2 cup of Edy’s Slow Churned Samoas Ice Cream with a sprinkling of TJ’s Mini PB Cups.

DSCN2914.JPG

I received Horton Hears a Who in my Netflix the other day, so I am going to heat up a cup of tea, sit back and relax in front of the TV watching the modernized version of a Dr. Seuss classic. Have a great night!

1 NAOmni March 17, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Oh my gosh your dinner looks fantastic!

NAOmni

2 Amanda March 17, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Those biscuits sound so yummy and easy! Do you not watch The Biggest Loser this season?

3 Meghann March 17, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Unfortunately I had too many things recording on my DVR on Tuesday nights for Biggest loser. I will catch it again next season though ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Tina March 17, 2009 at 8:11 pm

I want to try Kath’s soup! It sounds so good!

5 allijag March 17, 2009 at 8:15 pm

That meal looks AMAZING! I like your take on Kath’s dish! I hope you like Horton – I thought it was adorable!

6 Meg March 17, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Dinner looks so yummy! I definitely need to try making those biscuits.

7 Brandi March 17, 2009 at 8:30 pm

those biscuits sound great! and i love that you can just make 2 at a time.

good job Shredding!

8 Marissa March 17, 2009 at 8:32 pm

That soup sounds great! So does the bread! Yay for Somoas!

9 Sarah March 17, 2009 at 8:33 pm

so excited about the stovetop soda biscuits!! i’m bookmarking this post right now …

great job knocking that shred right off your list!

10 VeggieGirl March 17, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I NEED THAT SWEET POTATO SOUP AND THE MINI PB CUPS!!

11 Run Saraaah March 17, 2009 at 8:46 pm

That meal looks lovely, I need to try making my own soup…the canned stuff has way too much sodium!

12 redheadyellowdog March 17, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I’ve been tempted to try that soup!! it looks so good!!

and I’m very impressed with your portioning out of those mini PB cups!! when i got those they were gone very fast ๐Ÿ™‚

13 marafaye March 17, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Dinner looks fantastic, but dessert looks AMAZING!!!!!!!

14 Maggie March 17, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Aren’t they awesome??? I”m so glad you liked them ๐Ÿ™‚

15 runningveggie March 17, 2009 at 9:29 pm

I’ve been curious about that soup since Kath raved about it on her blog. Maybe I’ll get around to trying it before the weather gets too warm for soup!

16 Nicole March 17, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Those TJ’s candies are so cute.

I have been super curious about Kath’s soup, I need to try it soon!

17 Mica March 17, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Mmmm, I can’t tell which sounds better right now: a fresh biscuit or ice cream with mini PB cups!

18 Emily March 17, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Way to tackle the Shred first thing!
Sounds like you had a great, relaxing night (sometimes nights in are the best!). ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Hallie March 17, 2009 at 10:14 pm

I’ll be honest, that soup kinda scares me…and I generally like trying new things! I’m sure it’s delicious, though.

Those PB cups are banned from my house…if we had them, I would do the ole, “I’m near the kitchen, I must have have two or three” trick all day lond ๐Ÿ˜€

20 Jenn (eating bender) March 17, 2009 at 11:53 pm

That dinner looks AWESOME! I really want to try that soup – I love your substitutions and the addition of onions (haha, Kath would not like that one!) And Maggie’s biscuits look awesome! I made her scones yesterday and am in love. She is definitely a genius.

21 Sarah March 18, 2009 at 1:19 am

I thought for sure I’d see the green bikini tonight and you downing some brewskies. That’s not hatin’…that’s jealousy.

Your night looks much healthier ๐Ÿ™‚

22 Marianne March 18, 2009 at 2:24 am

Great dinner. I keep eyeing up that soup recipe, but haven’t got around to trying it out yet. Good to know it’s still tasty with onions ๐Ÿ˜‰

23 Erica March 18, 2009 at 4:32 am

Glad you got the workout in! I am the same way sometimes- its like either I get my workout done the second I am done work or its just not going to happen. Great dinner too- that soup sounds incredible!

24 Elina March 18, 2009 at 7:18 am

I did the same exact thing yesterday with Jillian’s workout. Before I (or my husband who was really trying to convince me otherwise) could come up with any other excuses, I just put my gym clothes on and got to shredding ๐Ÿ™‚ Felt gooood!! ๐Ÿ˜€
The soup sounds awesome but I think you’re right, it’s for us adventerous healthy bloggers. I have a feeling my husband would find it repulsive ๐Ÿ™

25 Meg March 18, 2009 at 7:22 am

OOOOh dessert looks so good!

I do that work working out too. As soon as I get home form work I change and go.. if I give myself time to relax, check my email, etc I’ll let the time go and all of a sudden it’s too late!

26 Danielle March 18, 2009 at 8:31 am

I have to do the same thing, come home get changed and get started or I’m done for. I can’t give myself time to make excuses.

27 J March 18, 2009 at 10:02 am

That ice cream looks SO good. Might have to grab some of those TJ pb cups next time I’m there.

28 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 18, 2009 at 10:06 am

OMG I am trying those biscuits immediately if not sooner! Thanks so much for the tip – I actually have all those ingredients and have been wanting to use up some of my 5 lbs of ww flour that I bought for one little recipe, haha. YESSSS.

29 Sarah W. March 18, 2009 at 12:40 pm

After seeing your subs to Kath’s recipe, you’ve caused me to add it to the menu for Sunday night!!!! mmm pecans and dates = yum!

30 jesslikesithot March 18, 2009 at 3:12 pm

ah megan I love when you feature the TJ’s mini pb cups, I bought some recently and love getting your ideas on how to use them besides just demolishing that whole little container, all I need is a few to satisfy the craving! ๐Ÿ™‚

31 Katerina March 18, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Well done for doing your shred. I totally find not sitting down helps too for those after work workouts. Those biscuits are so neat. I love any bread that doesn’t have to rise. I wonder if you could get similar results with a beer bread recipe.