Peachy Keen

by Meghann on March 12, 2009

Good Morning One and All!

I am so glad its Thursday, I think I will definitely be relieved when this week is finally over. Just two more days and its the weekend for me.

As my body slowly adjusts to the time change I’m finding it easier and easier to get out of bed so early in the morning. I also think it helped that I was dead asleep before 9:30 last night. It’s pretty sad when each night I challenge myself to try to make it into bed earlier and earlier. My 17 and 18 year old self would not approve of this tactic at all. But getting those full 8 hours of sleep makes it all worth it.

Speaking of getting enough sleep, did anyone read this article in Glamour last month that challenged 5 women to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night? Each tester was told not to change any of their eating or exercise habits, but instead to just add a couple of extra hours of sleep to their routine. In the study each of the women lost at least 5 pounds while 1 of the 5 lost 15!

Isn’t that crazy! The extra hours or sleep reduced stressed and allowed them to cut back on night time snack since they weren’t awake to raid the fridge in the middle of the night.

How many hours of sleep do you get at night?

I always aim for 8, but can get by with 7. Anything less then that and I will fall asleep at my desk… trust me it has happened before!

I also strive for more so that I can feel energized enough for my morning runs. This morning I knocked out 5.0 miles and felt great. I think I am also finally to pick up my speed again as well. The first mile still did not feel right at a 9:50 pace but the last 4 I was holding strong with 9:30 and under. I need to do some speedwork next week.

Breakfast was a gigantic bowl of cereal.

DSCN2669

I had 2/3 cup Kashi Honey Sunshine, 2/3 cup 365 Brand Cinnasnaps, 1/3 cup Kashi Blueberry Oat Clusters, 1 small White Peach, 1 spoonful Vanilla Non-Fat Oiskos, 5 Grapes.

DSCN2671

I was very excited for the peach this morning, but it was not sweet at all. I think  I still need to wait a few weeks for them to come in to season and sweeten up a bit. It’s so misleading when they’re at a good price at the store, but still not sweet enough.

Be on the look out this afternoon for a special guest post from my sister. She has even allowed me to put up a couple of pictures of her injuries, so please be prepared for some not so happy images.

1 VeggieGirl March 12, 2009 at 7:46 am

Hang in there until the weekend!!

SOOOO looking forward to your sister’s guest post!!

2 Becca A March 12, 2009 at 7:47 am

Its the same way with blueberries here right now. Great price but weird texture….I can’t wait for the fresh produce! Your breakfast bowl looks still fresh and yummy though.

3 coco March 12, 2009 at 7:49 am

a good night sleep is so important. Now I aim for 8 too, but sometimes I get only 6 like last night and now I’m so asleep!

4 Kristine March 12, 2009 at 7:54 am

YAY! i am the same as you. I usually aim for 8 hours but end up with 7ish. 7.5 hours is usually the magic number! 🙂

5 Erin March 12, 2009 at 7:58 am

I used to never sleep. Now I act like an old lady and almost always get 8! Its important! I can’t exercise if I haven’t slept enough.

6 Mica March 12, 2009 at 7:59 am

Great job on the run this morning!

7 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) March 12, 2009 at 8:04 am

Cereal and fruit for breakfast is the best!

8 fitforfree March 12, 2009 at 8:10 am

PEACHES! ahhh can’t wait until they’re in season!!

9 Erica March 12, 2009 at 8:15 am

Hey! Great breakfast- love your mixtures! I did not read that article- that is INCREDIBLE. I do not get nearly enough sleep! I am trying to get more!

10 Betsy March 12, 2009 at 8:26 am

I read that article too, and I definitely agree in the benefits of sleep. I have a pretty consistent schedule and get between 7.5 – 8 hrs every night. When I don’t, I can really feel it all over!

11 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 12, 2009 at 8:31 am

I like to aim for 8 too! Any less and I’m worthless! Have a great day and can’t wait to hear from your sister!

12 Melissa March 12, 2009 at 8:32 am

Too ironic – I was actually thinking about doing a 1 or 2 week challenge on my blog to get 8 hours of sleep a night 🙂 I thought about it last night when for the first time in FOREVER, I went to bed at 9:30 and it felt glorious!!!!
I generally get 6 1/2 -7 and that is NOT enough!

P.S. I LOOOOOOVE the Kashi Blueberry Cluster cereal! So much that I can’t buy it because the box is gone within a day 🙁

13 Rose March 12, 2009 at 8:33 am

Thanks for bringing up this topic of sleep – always a problem for me. I usually get about 6-7 hours. Never more than 7, unfortunately. I just like staying up late – such a problem!

14 Danielle March 12, 2009 at 8:37 am

I’ve been working on getting 8 hours and I’m getting close but my bigget problem is getting everything done after work and before I go to bed, i think I need to start relaxing earlier in the evening, once it gets warm out I want to start exercising in the morning so that’s one less thing I have to worry about.

15 Meg March 12, 2009 at 8:38 am

I try to get 8 hours, but a lot of times it is only 6. I also have trouble because I wake up in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep!

16 brandi March 12, 2009 at 8:40 am

sleep is definitely something I need more of today! I do feel better when I get 7-8 hours of sleep, but I wake up a lot every night regardless, so I never feel like I get really good night of sleep. It is what it is, I guess!

17 Missy (Missy Maintains) March 12, 2009 at 8:40 am

I also read that article in Self and it really made me want to try to get in bed earlier. I usually get 7 or 8 hours but it never feels like enough. I wake up soo tired every day. Can’t wait for the weekend to catch up!

18 Sarah W. March 12, 2009 at 8:58 am

sleep totally makes a difference in weight loss!! i believe it! speaking of, i REALLY need to start going to bed earlier…i’ve been getting 6.5hrs if I’m really lucky – just staying up late wasting time – i need to relax more!

19 Mel March 12, 2009 at 9:14 am

That Glamour article is totally true. I can tell when I am not sleeping enough because I put on weight really easily. So I know that I need at least 7 hours to function healthily!

20 Matt March 12, 2009 at 9:16 am

I try for 8ish per night. I feel best when I get plenty of sleep!

21 bobbi March 12, 2009 at 9:17 am

cant wait for sisters post:) Thats a crazy study, I get 8 if I am lucky around 7.5 always!

22 Quinn March 12, 2009 at 9:21 am

I saw that article’s segment on the Today Show the other morning. Ridiculous! You have to rejuvenate so your body’s metabolism can rest and get ready to rev up the next day. I am in bed by 10 every night and the alarm goes off at 6. 8 hours for me!

23 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 12, 2009 at 9:32 am

I’ve been getting about 6 hours… I’m in bed by 9:30, can’t get to sleep til about 10:30, then I’m up by 5:45 every day. Can’t wait to hear from your sister!!

24 Natalie March 12, 2009 at 9:35 am

Wow, really interesting study!

My sleep sceduale is ridiculously crazy, I get anywhere from 3-12 hours of sleep a night!

Looking forward to hearing from your sister.

25 biz319 March 12, 2009 at 9:40 am

I love sleep – and have passed that sleep gene to my daughter! She’s 17 and is normally in bed by 9:00 at the latest – granted, on the weekends she’s up well past midnight, but on a school night she gets her rest in.

Given the chance, I could routinely sleep 12 hours, but I usually get between 8 and 9.

Can’t wait for your sisters post!

26 Holly March 12, 2009 at 10:09 am

I can definitely attest to this! I feel soooo much better after a long night’s sleep, and it cuts down on late night snacking, too. 🙂 And I feel like I get a better workout in the a.m. That is still amazing to me that sleep can make a huge difference!

Can’t wait to hear your sister’s story….

27 snackface March 12, 2009 at 10:14 am

I read that article with my jaw dropped! I am only getting 5-6 hours a night, and have been for the past 10 weeks. Some nights it’s been as little as 3 hours. So goes the college schedule. I need to make it a goal to sleep more, though.

I LOVE the cereal mix today! Can’t wait for Kelly’s post 🙂 Have a wonderful day!

28 Sarah March 12, 2009 at 10:22 am

I was just talking about sleep with the hubs this morning and how I need to start getting more. I know it would help with my running a lot. I just need to change my night time routine. It’s so hard to get out of those rituals. Plus, hello, when am I going to watch MY shows..

I sound like one of those women that call soap operas “their stories.” BAH!

29 Bec March 12, 2009 at 10:22 am

I try for at least 8 but it often ends up being more like 7!

30 Andrea (Off Her Cork) March 12, 2009 at 10:24 am

I have to get at least 8 hours but my preference is even more than that for me to function properly and feel human. I can get by with less for a day but any more than that and I get so cranky, teary, and just a total mess.

Have to laugh at Sarah’s comment, my mom totally says that! “Her stories are on!”. Ha!

31 Haleigh March 12, 2009 at 10:25 am

I am not a happy person if I don’t get 8 hours of sleep. Getting adequate sleep is important to me! Great cereal bowl!

32 kristi March 12, 2009 at 10:34 am

I’m all about getting suffient sleep! I need at least 8 hours or I’m a total grump the next day…lol.

33 Run Saraaah March 12, 2009 at 10:46 am

What a lovely colourful cereal. I need 8-9 but usually get 6-7. Apparently each person needs between 5-14…its really individual dependent!

34 rhodeygirltests March 12, 2009 at 10:54 am

mmm cereal.

when i get into bed by 10, I am a SUPERWOMAN the next day. 8 hours is just the right amount of sleep for me, and I function best when I wind down by reading in bed around 9:30, and then doozing at 10, and waking up at 6.

35 ksgoodeats March 12, 2009 at 10:57 am

Yay for a guest post from Kelly!!

I usually get 7-8 hours of sleep – I find if I get more than that I’m actually more tired the next day, odd huh?!

36 Julie March 12, 2009 at 11:07 am

I’ve been trying to get at least 8 hours a night which has been going great…till last night when I couldn’t fall asleep and woke up wide awake at 3:30!! It was a tad frustrating to say the least.

I’m excited for your sisters post!

37 Julie March 12, 2009 at 11:16 am

How funny you’re back into cereal 🙂 Hope all is well with your sis!!

38 Marianne March 12, 2009 at 11:32 am

If I get 7 hours of sleep a night, I feel lucky. But normally it’s closer to 6, or even 5. There are just not enough hours in the day to work, eat, clean, hit the gym, watch tv, blog, read, etc, etc for me to get anymore. Maybe I’m just slow at doing everything, but no matter how hard I try, I cannot get into bed earlier than 11 pm, and it’s usually closer to midnight. Hence why I sleep so long on the weekends.

39 Chickenfingersandfoisgras March 12, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Your breakfast looks fab!

I’ve been quietly following your blog for awhile – especially all your marathon running! You are such an inspiration and I cannot wait until all the ice and snow leaves the ground so I can run again 🙂 (today was a *warm* -5 celsius).

40 Shelby March 12, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I aim for 7-8 hours a night. More or less than that and I’m tired all day!

41 Leanne March 12, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I didn’t read the article but I’m a huuuuuuuuuge fan of getting 8 hours of sleep every night, or at least as close to it as I can. It definitely makes a huge difference in my mood and for sure the food choices I make during the day!

42 Leah March 12, 2009 at 3:08 pm

I love how you mix your cereal up! Definitely my kind of breakfast!!!!

43 Susan March 12, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I’m the same, I try to get 8 hours sleep, but usually get closer to 7. Anything less than 7 and I usually need a nap! I should really try to get 8 hours every night, that study is crazy!!

44 aron March 12, 2009 at 4:51 pm

I usually have to have at least 8 hours to feel good, and with marathon training I usually sleep more. I love sleep 🙂