Where’s Kelly?

by Meghann on March 11, 2009

Some of you have been asking how my Sister is doing, well honestly I have no idea… but that’s a good thing!

I called my house yesterday to check in and my Mom told me Kelly was not even home. She was out enjoying her Spring Break with her boyfriend. I knew there was no way she would be glued to that couch for long. So what if her body is bruised and beaten, she is not going to let that prevent her from living her life and I think we should all be doing the same.

And I have had some requests for the type of helmet Kelly was wearing. It was a Bell helmet she purchased from Target. I’m not sure the exact model of the helmet, but she said it was roughly around the $25 price range in the bike section. She fully intends on buying the exact same helmet as a replacement and I am honestly considering purchasing the same one as well.

I have also sent the Bell Company an e-mail for their wonderful product that saved my Sister’s life. Seriously people WEAR A HELMET! No bike ride is too short for one. My sister was literally less then 15 minutes into her ride when she was hit. That’s all the time it takes!

Now, that I have done my daily PSA I will move on to food. 🙂

My snacky snack snack this morning was a mini Coconut Cream Pie Larabar.

DSCN2651

After the Gasparilla Race and Disney princess Expo I would say I am properly stocked on mini larabars for a while. 🙂

At the moment my fridge is overflowing with Veggies. What better use for a lot of veggies then a big ole salad?!?!

DSCN2653

I piled mine high with Spinach, Tomato, Carrots, Sprouts, Cucumber, Grapes, Banana Peppers & Granola.

I also tried this new Mango Chipotle Salmon Creations on top.

DSCN2656

I was expecting this big hit of Mango Cipotle flavor, but it tasted like plain salmon out of the can. What a waste.

For some carbs I had a piece of Pumpernickel Bread on the side with Tomato Chutney on top.

DSCN2655

And because they were staring at me in the fridge I had a small handful of TJs Mini Peanut Butter Cups for dessert. mmmmm…….

DSCN2657

Thank you again for all of your kind words and lovely e-mails. There was such a wonderful array of e-mails and comments that I only regret I do not have it in me to respond to each and every one of them individually, but I want you to know that I did read all of them and each message has a special place in my heart.

1 secret me March 11, 2009 at 12:23 pm

you know. do you think it would have been better for your parents to have let you know AFTER the concert about your sister? there was nothing you could have done to change the situation AT ALL. and you were out of town and had to drive all upset home, i just don’t think it was very wise of them. it could have waited especially since your sister is perfectly fine and out and about. not trying to be rude but i think it sucks that your parent’s ruined the concert for you and made you drive upset, and for what?

2 Meghann March 11, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Obviously you have no idea how a family works. My Sister and I are close and when one of us is hurt, the other one is hurt as well. There is no way I could have lived with myself knowing I was at a concert while my sister was scared to death in the hospital. I am thankful my parents called me and let me know the situation, honestly I have NO REGRETS about missing the concert. There will be tons of other concerts, but only one sister. On the way to the hospital I was getting an update from my aunt when my Sister said she wanted to speak to me. Her scared, weak voice was full of tears and she said she wanted me to get there as fast as I could, that she was in pain and needed me. Right then and there I broke into sobs and knew I had made the right choice, that I couldn’t make it to my sister fast enough.
So NO I don’t think it would have been better for my parents to have waited, in fact it would have been much, much worse.

3 caitlin March 11, 2009 at 12:35 pm

secret me – i think you have your prorities really messed up. her parents did not know the extent of kelly’s injuries when they called us and even if we had know that she was going to be OK, we still would’ve gone home immediately because getting RUN OVER BY A CAR is a tramatic experience.

also, if you are going to comment like that on people’s blogs, i dont think you should hide behind an anonymous name. its rude.

4 FoodsThatFit March 11, 2009 at 12:28 pm

That is so great your sister is up and moving and pressing forward! I am so excited and relieved for her, you and your family!

5 VeggieGirl March 11, 2009 at 12:34 pm

No news is good news then 🙂

6 Katie March 11, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I really admire your sister right now! You’re both making the best out of a terrible situation… instead of having it slow you down, you’re realizing that you need to make the most out of life!!

That sucks about the “Mango Chipotle” fail, but those PB cups look incredible!

7 Yasmin March 11, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Excellent idea of granola in a salad. Sorry you did not like the Mango Chipotle…personally, that’s my fave!

8 brandi March 11, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I’m still so glad that she’s okay!

I need to find those coconut cream larabars! they don’t have them here.

That’s also awesome that the helmet was not horrible expensive, but life saving.

9 Amanda @ Fake Ginger March 11, 2009 at 12:59 pm

That’s amazing that your sister is out enjoying her spring break. I can only imagine what kind of emotional state I would be in if I had just gone through such a thing. She is truly inspiring!

10 Marianne March 11, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I find it amazing that the car drove over her, and yet she had no broken bones. She is very lucky to be up and about 🙂

Loving the coconut cream pie larabar, mini pb cups, and salmon, even if it was lacking in the flavour department.

11 jane March 11, 2009 at 1:14 pm

those little peanut butter cups are so darn cute!!

12 Missy (Missy Maintains) March 11, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Glad your sister is doing okay! Those pb cups look delicious! I need them now!! I love granola on my salads too!!

13 Sharon March 11, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Totally agree with you, helmets are so important!
And those PB cups are yum!

14 Erin March 11, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Your sister sounds like she is doing really wonderfully! She must be very strong.
Glad to hear it and I am so jealous of your veggies! Yummy. I am eating up my produce because I’m leaving Friday and it makes me sad!

15 Danielle March 11, 2009 at 1:22 pm

So glad you’re sister is doing well!!
Love those mini pb cups yum!

16 Jackie March 11, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you and your family. I’m so happy your sister is doing well!

I also wanted to say how much I love your blog. I have followed, but have never commented before, I have really learned new healthy recipes and ideas thanks to you!

17 carolinebee March 11, 2009 at 1:37 pm

haha i’m glad she’s “missing”!! I sent my parents an email with a copy of your sister’s “Live” note in it yesterday. I told them how I “knew” you, and how I have never worn a helmet in 6 years of riding my bike to work every summer…i hate that it took this incident to wake me up but I will seriously never think twice about a helmet again.

18 Sarah W. March 11, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Bell is the very first helmet I had when I got my bike in Middle school!

My bike is ready to be ridden but I refuse to ride until I have a helmet! Guess I”ll go to Target sometime soon so I can start riding my bike again!

19 Run Saraaah March 11, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I’m glad to hear she is ‘missing’ – she sounds like she has a wonderful outlook on life. I really appreciate all your helmet promotions too – it’s so easy to ‘forget’ to wear one etc, but they really are life saving.

20 Emily March 11, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Glad your sister is enjoying spring break! Thanks for the helmet info, too.

21 Sarah March 11, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Hmmm. I was going to say something about peanut butter cups, but I’m speechless.
[ everyone secretly cheers and Secret Me goes, “MUAHAHAHAAH!”)

22 Kirsten March 11, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I’m glad your sister is doing well! It is such a miracle that everything turned out to be okay. I still think it would have been one of the most scariest times for both you and your sister!

23 Sarah March 11, 2009 at 3:46 pm

i’ve really been looking forward to reading your blog all this week — the way you and your family handled everything with your sister and are still handling it is so inspiring and uplifting. you all clearly have such a strong bond, and it is unfortunate that some people (aka secret me) have not been able to experience that in their lives!

i’m with the other sarah though — mini pb cups were the main thing on my mind until i saw that first comment!

24 lisaheartspizza March 11, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Glad to see you’re back to blogging. And I’m glad your sister snuck out of the house too! Good for her and good that she’s doing better. I wish they sold mini lara bars in stores. and those look like some good mini PB cups. I guess I’m liking the mini foods.

25 Bec March 11, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Glad your sister is doing well and enjoying her break! Those mini pb cups look delicious 🙂

26 bobbi March 11, 2009 at 4:15 pm

so glad your sister is out and about!!!! My MOM would have called me in a second if she didnt I would have been SOOOO MAD!

27 Natalie March 11, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Your sister sound so amazing and inspiring! Glad things are going smoothly. 🙂

28 ksgoodeats March 11, 2009 at 6:16 pm

I’m so glad your sister is out and about!!

Best flavor Lara in the whole wide world 🙂

29 Melissa S. March 11, 2009 at 6:44 pm

glad she’s out and having fun on her spring break! she totally deserves it of course!

sad to hear she won’t be running this weekend. need a cheerleader? i have saturday and sunday off. 🙂

30 Wiggs March 11, 2009 at 6:57 pm

You and your fam are amazing for turning Kelly’s story into an example of why helmets are so important. I’m really impressed by how you’re not only thinking about it in terms of how it affects you (which would be so easy to do!).

You’re an inspiration!

31 meaghen1 March 11, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Those mini pb cups look so good. I almost bought myself some the other day but I’m not sure if I could have your restraint. I have started telling myself what you tell yourself about the dessert and only having one serving, or you won’t be able to have it anymore. I plan on using it with some mini eggs tonight!

I still can’t go over how well your sister is doing and she’s out and about! Good for her!

32 kristina March 13, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I am so glad that your sister is doing well!!! So now tell me where did you get those mini larabars? I am dying to get my hands on some..