Striving for Normalcy

by Meghann on March 10, 2009

Well, that was an interesting day.

It’s so weird to try to go on with life as normal or to witness everyone else doing the same routine. I keep thinking my Sister was hit by a car just two days a go and it is as if nothing has changed. The world keeps revolving, people keep doing their jobs and we learn that our lives are not the center of the universe… such a wake up call.

My morning was full of meetings, playing catch up, and telling the same story about 5 times to 10 different people. Now, I know how my Sister felt yesterday when visitor after visitor would arrive and phone call after phone call asked for her. I think I heard her tell the same story so many times that I could cite her word for word on it. I hope she got some more rest today with not as many phone calls and story telling.

For lunch today I was thankful to be able to go home and make myself a giant veggie sandwich with all my favorites.

CIMG5884.JPG

The star of the sandwich was the Pumpernickel Bread I picked up at Sunrise Bakery yesterday. It was so sweet and delish. Just a lovely change from plain ole wheat. Inside the miracle bread I had Swiss Cheese, Spinach, Cucumbers, Roasted Red Peppers, Banana Peppers, and Buffalo Hot Sauce.

CIMG5885.JPG

With the Sammy I cut up two Whole Carrots, a Pickle, and Jalapeno Hummus for dipping.

CIMG5886.JPG

Such a yummy, beautiful lunch.

Too bad it was lacking protein and refused to keep me full. Around 3:00 my stomach was eating it self from the inside out so I popped a 100 calorie bag of Kettle Popcorn to calm it down.

DSCN2637.JPG

For dinner I went with simple and delish.

DSCN2638.JPG

It has been ages since I bought chicken breasts. I tend to stock up on chicken when it goes on sale, which led to an overflowing freezer of chicken breast that I was slowly widdling down over the last few months.

This week chicken breast was under $2.00 a pound and I decided it was time to restock again. I bought 6 breasts, froze 5 and decided to grill one for dinner tonight.

DSCN2642.JPG

The George Foreman did the trick for a quick and easy grill. Once it was cooked I covered the chicken in Country Bob’s All Purpose sauce.

On the side I had some roasted Squash that I dipped in more of the Country Bob’s All Purpose sauce and some steamed Broccoli and Cauliflower.DSCN2639.JPG

I think I managed to cover all the food groups with this one? The meal could have been complete with a roll or something though

For dessert I dug in the freezer and recovered a Kit Kat Blondie I had been saving.

DSCN2645.JPG

I warmed up the blondie in the microwave then topped it with a dollop of Fat Free Cool Whip. Yum!

—–

Last week when Caitlin started her 30 Day Shred Challenge I decided to jump on the bandwagon and join in the fun. Unfortunately both of us had no luck finding the DVD in Orlando so I ordered it on Amazon and was very excited to discover it in my mailbox today.

DSCN2647.JPG

After dinner I decided to start Day 1 of my challenge and completed the Level 1 work out.

Talk about intense! I’m not used to anything that uses weights and is so fast paced. I was breaking a sweat and breathing hard at the end.

I plan to take Caitlin’s approach with this and do 10 days of Level 1, 10 Days of Level 2 and the final 10 days with level 3. Wish me luck!

1 Amanda March 10, 2009 at 7:21 pm

I’m glad you made it through today … isn’t it odd when something affects you to the core, and most people have no idea? I guess it is humbling, if nothing else.

I think you will really love 30 Day Shred, especially since you watch The Biggest Loser! It sounds kindof like your bootcamp that you do, but with more emphasis on weights. I have been doing it since I got it for xmas and can definitely tell a difference in my legs, abs, and arms … and I think it made me a better runner 🙂 I regret not taking measurements before starting, so if that is something that seems interesting to you … I would recommend it!!

Here’s to an even better day tomorrow 🙂

2 Nicole March 10, 2009 at 7:49 pm

It is such a wake up call to think of stuff like that.

Your kit kat blondie looks fantastic!

3 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 10, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Delicious eats! I’m so glad your sister is doing better.

4 VeggieGirl March 10, 2009 at 7:53 pm

**Major hugs**

5 Bec March 10, 2009 at 7:57 pm

That sandwich looks great!

6 Marianne March 10, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Expect to have to tell the story again..and again. It’s almost 2 years since my car accident, and I’m still having to tell the story to random people. At least your sister is doing well, and on the road to recovery.

7 Run Saraaah March 10, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Glad to hear you made it through the day okay, glad to hear your sister is still doing well and in good spirits.

8 Meg March 10, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I bet today did feel interesting! I am interested to hear more about what you think about the Shred.

9 Lauren March 10, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Glad to hear your days are getting back to normal but you must be exhausted from everything that has gone on.
Funny, I packed almost the exact same sammy in my lunch tomorrow. Veggies on pumpernickle (my fav!)
Good luck with the Shred challenge. I’ve started it this week to so I am right there with you girl!

10 ttfn300 March 10, 2009 at 8:21 pm

aw, it’s gotta be difficult to keep reliving the event. hope things keep improving!

11 Erin March 10, 2009 at 8:32 pm

It is hard to realize life is normal after a big event. Its always shocking.
Your lunch sammie is beautiful tho!

12 ksgoodeats March 10, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Good luck with the shred! That sandwich is a knockout!! Yum 🙂

13 Maggie March 10, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I love the shred! I only ever do level 1 because level 2 is just insane and I can’t even imagine what level 3 is like.

I can definitely relate to everything just going on as normal after something life-changing happens. The feeling is really… odd.

14 Rose March 10, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I can’t imagine what you’re going through… such hard time for you.It’s totally understandable… I hope you can make it through this week of work alright…

15 Sharon March 10, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Hope all is going well. Love the sandwich!

16 Brandi March 10, 2009 at 9:22 pm

good luck with the challenge!

17 inmytummy March 10, 2009 at 10:08 pm

I’ve definitely been sweating up a storm with the Shred and I’ve only done level 1!

18 Natalie March 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Wow thats a really scary thought. Thanks for reminding us of that.

Love the blondie!

19 Melissa March 10, 2009 at 10:18 pm

That is a great dvd. Sammie looks awesome. I have been meaning to mention a book you might like if you haven’t read it already: Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnanzes. Since you are doing some endurance events, you might find it inspiring. It is the bible of all my guy friends, but I love it too.

20 Wiggs March 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm

You write so well about how strange it is that the world keeps on turning when it feels to you like it came to a halt. I’m blown away by the fact that you managed to go back into work today – sounds like your spirit is as strong as your body!

I’m so glad everything’s okay with your sister. Sometimes it takes a really intense experience like this to make you cherish what your body is able to do!

xoxo

21 Andrea [bella eats] March 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm

I’m so glad that Kelly is doing better and that you made it through your first day back!

I miss Sunshine Bakery. 🙁 But I had scones this weekend (and each day since) too!

22 alessa March 10, 2009 at 11:08 pm

i need to make some blondies! i see them on all of these blogs and they seriously make me drool everytime!

it is weird to think that when tragedy strikes, the world goes on around you. i think the only good thing that can come out of it is how much you learn from the hard times in life! glad to hear your sis is doing well.

23 bobbi March 10, 2009 at 11:33 pm

and your going to be running too!!! WAY TO GO!!! I o do it about 3 times a week love it!

24 Mica March 10, 2009 at 11:47 pm

I’m glad your sister is doing better, though it’s a bummer she can’t participate in the triathlon. I’m sure you’ll make her proud!

25 Jenn (eating bender) March 10, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Good luck with challenge! That blondie looks so good!

Again, I’m so glad that your sister is ok!

26 Sarah March 11, 2009 at 2:53 am

I obviously have not had such a major thing happen as you during my blog life, but even when little things happen, its like…who cares what I ate today, X happened! But then once things calm down, it is so natural to fall right back into blogging and life. Glad you are back, but gosh, don’t feel bad if you miss a post or take some time to yourself these next few days. You have been through a lot. You are a strong chick, but still give yourself enough time to “get those oogies out” as I always tell my girls.

Or maybe you just need a blondie or two here or there 😉

27 sarah (ghost world) March 11, 2009 at 5:30 am

i totally agree about the shred! mine came from amazon yesterday too, and i was amazed at how hard it was since i consider myself to be ‘in shape’. i don’t think i’ll be doing it every day, but definitely incorporating it as part of my routine.

i’m so glad your sister is doing better — it’s times like these we really have a chance to put everything in perspective. family and friends are truly the most important things — without that, nothing really matters.

28 tami March 11, 2009 at 6:39 am

i am so glad your sister is able to tell her story.

i have a great new treat that will be perfect for shipping when you have your NEXT bake sale!

29 Leanne March 11, 2009 at 7:19 am

Glad to see things are starting to get back to normal, I know it will take time…

I’m interested to try this shred workout… What kind of weights do you need?

30 Holly March 11, 2009 at 8:00 am

Yay! i just ordered the 30 Day Shred DVD. I’m so excited! 🙂

31 Danielle March 11, 2009 at 8:06 am

Since giving up meat for lent I’ve barely craved any meat but like 2 days ago I started craving chicken, and bbq chicken looks amazing! A month from tomorrow I’ll be enjoying chicken again haha.
I think I’m going to order the 30 day shred as well I’ve heard so many great things about it.

32 Lauren March 11, 2009 at 9:22 am

The pumpernickel sandwich looks divine – especially sitting in the lovely sunshine!

33 Diana (soap & chocolate) March 11, 2009 at 10:04 am

Sending hugs your way. 🙂

I love 30 day shred and it is in regular rotation with my workout DVDs. It’s hard, but short, so it’s SO worth it! I definitely can see a difference. I recommend starting easy with the weights (2-3 lb) till you are familiar with the routine and don’t feel exhausted by the reps (I always do!). Case in point, I did level 2 with 8 lbs Monday and I am in PAIN! So today it was back to level 1 with 5s…much better. Sorry for the unsolicited advice, but there ya go anyway! Haha 🙂

34 Sammie March 11, 2009 at 11:19 am

Caitlin inspired me to get that DVD too. I did level 1 Monday and level 2 yesterday & today. I weight train frequently and I am finding these workouts to be a real butt kicker. Good lucj with your workouts.