Live

by Meghann on March 10, 2009

Thank you all once again for your kind words, my Sister and my Family really appreciate every single one of you. It has been a crazy couple of days and we all found solitude reading your positive words of encouragement.

I am happy to report my Sister is back to her normal high spirits and is just dying to get out of the house.

She is suffering from cabin fever and I believe plans to recover poolside over her spring break. She is also itching to run again with plans to still run the 15 mille Crooms Fool’s Run on April 11. However, her knee is still very swollen, so we will be paying close attention to it over the next week.

Unfortunately, Kelly will not be able to participate in the Sprint Triathlon we were both planning to compete in this weekend. She is very bummed, as she has been training intensely, but still hopes to compete in one in the near future. She has left the Sprint Tri up to me and told me I have to complete it now for the both of us.

Due to Kelly’s miraculous recovery and the ongoing support of friend’s and family, I am back at work today. It’s amazing to think that less then 36 hours ago I was unsure of my Sister’s future and now I am back at my desk with the knowledge that everything will be ok.

I was also in desperate need of a run this morning. I practically jumped out of bed this morning ready to pound 5.5 miles out on the pavement. I was a little afraid at first, not wanting to give my parent’s two heart attacks in one week, but if anything the experience with Kelly made me realize you have to live life to the fullest doing what you enjoy because you never know when its going to end.

I returned from my run refreshed with a clear head, ready to take on my day.

Yesterday we went to my family’s favorite bakery in our town called Sunshine Bakery. They have the most amazing Scones that my parents used to send up to my Sister and I in care packages back in college. My parents bought my Sister and I 2 scones each and I hade one this morning for breakfast. It was my favorite, Orange Date.. yum!

DSCN2634

On the side I had a bowl of Grapes and Strawberries with some Vanilla Chobani mixed in.

DSCN2636

A great normal breakfast.

DSCN2633

And since I have OCD, here are some pictures of the food I have eaten since I last blogged. Please note the various sweets and comfort food. I am only human and the situation allotted it. No regrets and no feelings of guilt on these

DSCN2592 DSCN2593 DSCN2596

DSCN2597 DSCN2598 DSCN2599 DSCN2608 DSCN2618

DSCN2627 DSCN2628 DSCN2629

DSCN2630 DSCN2632

Now, I leave you with an excerpt from the note my Sister sent out to family and friends, letting then know she is ok. It really drives home the point to live life to your fullest. Life is too short to be afraid. Take chances, see the world, love, forget regret…..LIVE!

I am coming up on my two year anniversary of getting a tattoo on my foot that says s
imply "Live." That is what I try to do everyday of my life. I take in every sunset, every smile, every happy moment. I plan trips to see the world and adventures to explore it. I do this because I know all too well how short life is that we we all need to make the most of the time we have.

1 verbalriot March 10, 2009 at 8:42 am

So glad to hear your sis is okay 🙂 I love that “LIVE”! It’s so inspirational, simple and damn right to the point.

2 FoodsThatFit March 10, 2009 at 8:44 am

I am so glad to hear your sis is doing well! I hope she will still be able to run with us, but healing is definitely the main priority right now!

I love the quote from your sisters note! Sometimes it takes an awful event to really make us step back and refocus on what is important, what makes us happy and how we want to improve our lives.

Have a great day lady!

3 Allison March 10, 2009 at 8:53 am

I got all teary eyed reading that note from your sister – it’s so true! Life’s short – enjoy! 🙂

4 Sammie March 10, 2009 at 9:07 am

I am happy to hear that your sister, you and the family are all doing so well. Honestly, this has really made me think about the fact that anything can happen at any time and to really live your life to the fullest. I hope you have a wonderful day girlfriend.

5 brandi March 10, 2009 at 9:15 am

what a great message – I am so happy to hear that she is already itching to get outside!

6 VeggieGirl March 10, 2009 at 9:18 am

So wonderful – I’m still thinking about you and your family everyday.

7 Yasmin March 10, 2009 at 9:20 am

I am so glad to hear of your sister’s recovery. We are still praying for you and your family. Beautiful words to live by.

8 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 10, 2009 at 9:22 am

Beautiful post Meghann. SO glad your sister is doing well. What a positive outlook you all have!

9 Natalie March 10, 2009 at 9:23 am

Your sistersword are so inspiring! I’m so happy to hear she is doing well.

10 Leah March 10, 2009 at 9:26 am

I am so glad to hear your sister is doing ok. This is so frightening to think about because i am close with my siblings like you are with yours. We all def need to think about it and live each day to it’s fullest. Each day is a gift!

11 Red Head, Yellow Dog March 10, 2009 at 9:30 am

This is great and something I definitely try to actively do everyday.

I’m so glad to hear your sister is doing well. It really is a miracle. It’s a reminder not only to us runners/cyclists but also to drivers. We need to always be aware of our surroundings and what’s going on. One second can change your whole life. I think that’s part of living…taking in everything that’s around you. It doesn’t mean being paranoid, it just means being aware.

12 Krista March 10, 2009 at 9:34 am

Hi, Meghann…I’m so very happy to hear that all is well with your sister. What a tramatic experience! The sight of that helmet scared me!!! Thank God she had it on.

13 Hangry Pants March 10, 2009 at 9:40 am

So glad to hear about Kelly!

Have a great day Meghann.

14 Erica March 10, 2009 at 9:43 am

So incredible- your sister is such a trooper. Tell her I think she rocks and that she better do a guest post! We all lovvvvvvvvvveeee her!

15 strawberryshortstuff March 10, 2009 at 9:53 am

I’m so glad to hear your sister is doing well! She sounds like an amazingly positive person!
Diana

16 strawberryshortstuff March 10, 2009 at 9:53 am

Diana

17 strawberryshortstuff March 10, 2009 at 9:55 am

I’m so glad to hear that your sister is doing well. She sounds like an amazingly positive person!
Diana

18 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 10, 2009 at 9:59 am

SO GLAD your sister is ok!!! Such a scary thing!

19 Amanda March 10, 2009 at 10:10 am

Completely weird/funny – you were in my dream last night! I can’t remember what happened but I know you were in it … and I have never met you haha. Just goes to show how much I was thinking about you and your family I guess!!

I am glad to hear that your sister is in high spirits and that your life is regaining its normalcy! It is so important to take moments like this to really remember what is IMPORTANT!! I think I too often get tied up in exercising/eating well, and need to remember that life is to be enjoyed 🙂

Have a great day!!

20 Meg March 10, 2009 at 10:10 am

I am so glad to hear that your sister is OK! I agree with your sister “LIVE”. I plan on trying my hardest to do that every day!

21 Mariposa March 10, 2009 at 10:25 am

your sisters story is so amazing, inspiring, and i am truly awe struck at the miracle you all have experienced. i think its great she is ok and in high spirits!

keeping your fam in my thoughts!!!

22 balancemycake March 10, 2009 at 10:31 am

I am SO glad to hear your sister is doing okay Meghann. Having a family member or close friend suffer like that is just heart-stopping, so I’m glad she’s just fine 🙂

I’ll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers!!

Michelle

23 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 10, 2009 at 10:36 am

You have a really admirable take on life. We can always use reminders like this, and with luck they are rarely accidents like your sister’s.

24 Danielle March 10, 2009 at 10:47 am

What a great message from your sister! I’m sure you’ll do great with the sprint tri and make you and your sister proud!

25 Sarah March 10, 2009 at 11:03 am

awww, so glad things are going to be ok and that you (and your sister!) are feeling motivated and back in high spirits. love your quick photo food recap, and it’s good to see that you’re comfortable with all your choices and let food do one of the things it does best — provide comfort — when you needed it!

26 gina (fitnessista) March 10, 2009 at 11:09 am

what a beautiful post. i loved the quote at the end– we often get so caught up in everything else that we forget to enjoy life.
hope you have a wonderful day!

27 Lisa March 10, 2009 at 11:12 am

I’m a new blogger and have been following yours for a while. I am so glad your sister is OK (my sister is in India for a year, which is really hard) and your whole post (plus her words) are beautiful! Thanks!

28 Sara B. March 10, 2009 at 11:13 am

I’m so glad your sister is doing well!! I’m going to buy a helmet before I ride my bike again!!!!!!

29 polly March 10, 2009 at 11:39 am

Hi Meghann! I have never commented here before I don’t think but I wanted you to know I was praying for your sister and wanted to send a big hug today and a YAHOO for her health! Love the LIVE reminder and hope you enjoy this day, sweetie! XOXO

30 ksgoodeats March 10, 2009 at 11:40 am

All of your eats look INSANELY delicious 🙂

I’m SO happy to hear that your sister is at home recovering! I have no doubt in my mind that you will be able to complete the Tri – especially after what you and your family have gone through the past few days.

GET WELL SOON, KELLY!!

31 Rose March 10, 2009 at 11:43 am

So glad your sister is doing OK. I don’t ride bikes often (don’t own one actually), but I remember not wearing a helmet when I was younger. I don’t think I’ll ever do that again. Your sister is so smart.

32 Amy March 10, 2009 at 12:07 pm

SO relieved your sister is making a full recovery…Much support sent your way, Meghann! I’m sure your sister appreciates all of the comfort and love you’ve shown her during these rough few days. Hope things continue to look up!

Love the tattoo & explanation.

33 Matt March 10, 2009 at 12:27 pm

That food looks amazing!

I’m also glad your sister is doing well!

34 Run Saraaah March 10, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I am glad to hear your sister is making a full recovery…support and thoughts sent your way. Very awesome tattoo as well.

35 Erin March 10, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I’m so glad to hear that things worked out well!
This was a lovely post, and wonderful words to remember.
Also, that scone sounds awesome!

36 Ryane March 10, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Insanely inspirational post – great message!
Glad to hear everyone is doing better than okay!

37 Shelby March 10, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I’m so glad she is okay!!!

38 Andrea March 10, 2009 at 1:21 pm

That’s so funny that you have a tattoo that says “Live.” I have a necklace with a small silver stone on it that says the same thing. I wear it all the time. It’s my motto and the answer to everything!

39 Andrea March 10, 2009 at 1:22 pm

p.s. I meant that she has a tattoo 🙂

40 Sarah March 10, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I bet that was the best feeling run you have had in probably your whole life.

I’m so glad that you were able to spend time with your family during all this. Talk about a new appreciation for life and each other!

Holy greasy paper towel peanut butter cookies. You need to make some more of those.

41 Andrea (Off Her Cork) March 10, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Oh my goodness Meghann, so glad you sister is doing well! What a scary situation indeed. Her positive spirits are outstanding. 😀

42 Heather Eats Almond Butter March 10, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Meghann,
Just catching up on everything. I’d heard about your sister on another blog, and this morning during the last few minutes of my yoga class, our instructor asked us to picture “someone who is hurting right now”. Your image popped in my head. So, please know that I thought about you this morning at 7 AM sending you thoughts of Everything is going to be okay. It warmed my heart to read this post and learn that everything really is going to be okay. Kudos to Kelly. She sounds like a total trooper (and here I thought you were the bad ass machine of the family) 🙂

43 alessa March 10, 2009 at 2:43 pm

so great to hear that you and your family are doing well. it sounds like your sister is being really positive too, which i praise her for! glad you had a good run!!

44 biz319 March 10, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more on this post! So glad your sister is on the road to recovery, but bummed you have to do the tri alone!

You’ll do great though!!

45 Julie March 10, 2009 at 3:09 pm

You don’t need an excuse to eat comfort food, if you want some have it!

Kelly sounds like a strong young woman. Her tattoo holds a whole new meaning.

46 Beadie @ What I Ate Yesterday March 10, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Awesome message. I am so happy that your sister is going to be ok and is in good spirits.

47 Emily March 10, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Glad Kelly is ok! I love her philosophy in life…it’s too short not to be enjoyed to the fullest.

I’m happy the running made you feel better! Somehow, it always helps me to get out frustrations and relieve stress.

48 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) March 10, 2009 at 3:48 pm

So I’ve been out of the loop for a little while and just caught up a bit – holy cow, I can’t believe what happened to Kelly, I got absolute goosebumps when I read what happened to her. She has such a inspirational story to inspire others to LIVE now!! 🙂

I’m sure you’ll rock the tri for the two of you! 🙂

49 Adi (oatonomy.com) March 10, 2009 at 4:51 pm

So happy to hear that Kelly is doing well. I’ll continue to pray for you guys!
And of course, your food looks yummy… especially that ice cream cone.

50 Allison K March 10, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I’m so glad your sister is ok. all the best to you and your family!

51 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) March 10, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Great to hear the good news!

52 NAOmni March 10, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Really glad to hear everything is going okay 🙂

NAOmni

53 Marissa V. March 10, 2009 at 6:15 pm

I’m so glad you’re sister is doing well! I love that quote by her, so inspirational!

54 Kristie March 10, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I am SO glad to hear your sister is okay and recovering well. Your sister’s note is perfect. I teared up just reading it. Best wishes for Kelly’s full recovery!

55 meaghen1 March 10, 2009 at 7:01 pm

You’re sister is a total rockstar! I am absolutely amazed by her recovery, courage and resiliency. It’s funny how someone we don’t even know at all can affect how we think about life! Glad to know Kelly, your family and you are doing well!

And those look like some tasty eats!

56 rhodeygirltests March 10, 2009 at 7:08 pm

your sister words just brought me to tears. what an amazing woman.

and you too! strong women must run in your family!!!

57 ttfn300 March 10, 2009 at 8:23 pm

wow, such strong words to live by!!

58 Jenn (eating bender) March 10, 2009 at 11:56 pm

I’m so glad to hear that everything is ok again. I’m sorry about the race this weekend, but your sister’s words put everything into perspective. Truly amazing.