The Helmet That Saved My Sister’s life

by Meghann on March 9, 2009

I owe my sister’s life to this helmet.

Last night I got the phone call you never expect you are going to get, my Mom called me in a panic to let me know my little sis had been hit on her bike.

She was riding along a busy road when a man pulled out of a neighborhood and blew a stop sign. The car collided with my Sister, knocking her off the bike then proceeded to run over her leg, hip, arm, shoulder and head. She said she could literally see the tire coming for her head. Thankfully after the incident she was consious enough to tell the guy my parent’s phone number and to have him call 911. An ambulance came and she was immediately airlifted to the nearest trama center, about a 45 minute car ride away.

Of course as soon as Caitlin and I heard we booked it out of Tampa and headed to the hospital. I got up to the minute updates as my whole family waited at the trauma center for word. Piece by piece I recieved nothing but good news. She was awake and wondering where we were… good news. The doctors say there is no internal bleeding… good news. Her CT came back clean and they can take the neck brace off… good news. There are no broken bones and she can go home tonight…. the best news you could ever ask for.

Kelly was only lucky becuase she was smart. She was wearing her helmet and without it her head would have been crushed instead of the helmet. The helmet sits in front of me now broken in 3 or 4 pieces. Those broken pieces of plastic gave me my sister’s life and for that I shall worship those pieces of plastic for the rest of my life.

Kelly is stumbling around today at home with our family. She has tire tread marks across her leg, hip, shoulder and arm. She also has road rash on her back and face, but those are just minor injuries that will heal in time. The swelling will go down, the bleeding will stop and my sister is determined to ride her bike again.

Thank you so much for all of your kind wishes, thoughts and prayers towards my family. My sister is alive with no broken bones… she truly is a miracle.

I am taking this time to spend with my family and will return to normal blogging when I feel the time is right. Until then please continue to hold Kelly close to your hearts, she has been through a traumatic experience and is still in quite a bit of pain. I leave you with my pleads to PLEASE WEAR A HELMET! It saved my sister’s life and will save yours as well. In fact we are heading out this afternoon to buy my sister a shiny brand new helmet. We’re pulling all the stops out for her on this one. :)

1 lisaheartspizza March 9, 2009 at 11:16 am

oh my goodness..what a happy ending to what could have been a tragic story! I only just started reading your blog but I already feel like I know you(just a little bit) and your family, especially your sister will be in my thoughts. I wish her a very speedy recovery! -Lisa D.

2 runeatrepeat March 9, 2009 at 11:47 am

I am so sorry that happened to her, but I’m very happy she is okay. I am so thankful she was wearing a helmet (I’m sure you and your family are too). That is so scary.

Feel better soon Kelly!!!

3 Sarah March 9, 2009 at 11:56 am

Oh MEG! I’m so happy to hear that everything is okay, and it sounds like you are in good spirits and definitely have your priorities in the right place by being there with your family. Thank you for taking the time to put up this post and again emphasize the importance of the helmet!

God bless all of you!

4 Katy March 9, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Thanks so much for the update — I have been refreshing this page all morning hoping to get good news!

My thoughts are with both of you … and I am passing this story on to all my cycling friends to remind them why helmets are so important!

I am registered for the sprint tri this weekend, but I’m not sure whether you’ll still be competing or not. Once you know, let me know so we can catch up!

5 Lauren March 9, 2009 at 12:23 pm

What a horrifying experience that must have been for Kelly – I cannot imagine. I am so glad to hear that she is home and recovering. My thoughts are with her, and I will probably flag down the next biker I see without a helmet!

6 eatinnyc March 9, 2009 at 12:24 pm

That is the BEST news EVER! SO thrilled for you and your family. I will definitely spread this story/the word.

7 Andrea [bella eats] March 9, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Meghann – thank you for the update. I was in touch with your family through my dad last night and was so happy to hear the updates that Kelly was ok and going home. Please let her know that I am thinking of her as well as you and the rest of the family.

Also, I am ordering Road ID’s for myself and Brian, and have sent my mom a link to this post and the Road ID site. I called her last night to fill her in on Kelly and she was horrified, and also told me that she doesn’t wear a helmet when riding her bike to and from the school where she teaches. Maybe that will be a birthday present for her this week… Kelly is so lucky and we can all learn from her smart decision to wear a helmet.

8 Alyssa March 9, 2009 at 12:31 pm

I’m so glad she’s ok! She is so smart for wearing her helmet. What happened sounds horrible, I’m amazed she didn’t break any bones or suffer any real severe damage. Whew! :)

9 Erin March 9, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I am so glad this ended well. I wish Kelly a speedy recovery and you and your family are in my thoughts!

10 Aunt Lisa March 9, 2009 at 12:46 pm

I’m so glad she’s OK. Please give her and your parents my love.

11 Errign March 9, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Such a scary experience, but I’m glad Kelly is okay!

An important reminder of why helmets are so very necessary!

12 caitlin March 9, 2009 at 1:02 pm

im so happy!!!

13 Joane March 9, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I’m glad that your sister is ok! Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

14 peanutbutterandjuli March 9, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I am so glad Kelly is okay. Take care of yourself, too. Helmets rock!

15 FoodsThatFit March 9, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I am SO relieved to hear that your sis is doing well! It’s amazing what a little bit of foam and plastic can do! I am so glad she was smart and wearing that helmet! What a great reminder for us all!

16 Joleen March 9, 2009 at 1:07 pm

So glad to hear your sister’s okay. This is also a good warning to all of us to be careful when we’re out driving around rushing to get somewhere too. I hope Kelly’s recovery is as quick and easy as possible. Sending prayers out to you and your family.

17 fitforfree March 9, 2009 at 1:08 pm

I am SO glad that she’s okay!!! wow. wearing a helmet is such an easy thing to forget, and I hope your sister knows that she is a great example for us all!

18 elise March 9, 2009 at 1:09 pm

oh my godness! i will never underestimate the importance of the helmet again. what an amazing story. im so so glad your sis is ok.

19 dailygoods March 9, 2009 at 1:10 pm

so relieved to know she is well! I’m so happy nothing she had no serious injuries! I also am glad people are getting the message about how important helmets are. my thoughts are with your family meghann

20 Amy March 9, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I’m so glad to hear that your sister is ok! What a good reimnder that we all need to be wearing helmets all the time.

21 dailydulcie March 9, 2009 at 1:14 pm

wow what a traumatic story!!! thank goodness Kelly is alright!!!! I have a younger sister and I cannot imagine how I would feel if something like this happened to her. You, kelly, and the rest of your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

22 Sarah March 9, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Hi Megan,

I am a pretty new reader and have never commented before. In the few weeks that I have been reading your blog, it is obvious what a great & caring person you are. I am so glad that this situation had a happy ending. Your sister is very lucky!

Enjoy the time with your family.

23 Mica March 9, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Thanks for taking the time to update everyone, Meghann. That is an amazing story–you should tell the helmet company! I’m glad your sister is in good health and good spirits. I hope she can get back on her bike asap!

24 Colleen March 9, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I’m so glad to hear she’s okay – I pray that she heals quickly!

25 meaghen1 March 9, 2009 at 1:24 pm

This is so great that she is doing so well. What a miracle that she is even alive, let alone no broken bones. This really is an amazing story! I hope she’s back on the bike soon enough and you both are in my thoughts!

26 Brooke March 9, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I’m so glad that things are much better for your sister and your family. You’ve been in my thoughts and prayers since I read what happened! Take care and thanks for keeping up posted!

27 Sarah March 9, 2009 at 1:31 pm

wow, what an amazing story!! i’ve been so worried about your sister — i’m glad she’s ok. it’s probably going to take her a while to feel emotionally ok after such an ordeal, though. enjoy the time with your family — i have no doubt that you will be savoring every last second with way more appreciation than usual!

28 rhodeygirltests March 9, 2009 at 1:49 pm

oh meghann! i am SO happy to hear your sister is ok! i will keep her and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

29 Fancy March 9, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Omg Meghann. I am so sorry for everything your family is going through and I’m so glad that everything will be ok. I said a prayer for your family last night….

30 biz319 March 9, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I am so glad the news was good! I never bike without my helmet – this makes me realize not even to think twice about it – you never know!

Hugs to you and your family.

31 Erin March 9, 2009 at 2:00 pm

I am so glad your sister is okay! I prayed for her last night after seeing the post about the accident on my google reader last night.

32 snackface March 9, 2009 at 2:03 pm

It’s amazing to hear that your sister is doing well! What an absolute miracle! It’s horrible that it happened, but it is a powerful reminder not to take that safety precaution for granted. Your sister is a blessing for this. I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts!

33 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 9, 2009 at 2:08 pm

THANK GOD – I have been wondering how she is. Yay helmets indeed! I’m so happy for your family right now since it seems that your sister will make a full recovery :)

34 Serena March 9, 2009 at 2:16 pm

So relieved to hear Kelly is okay – I can’t believe that she has no broken bones after that kind of impact. Enjoy your time with your family – what a miracle. Go helmets.

35 Natalie March 9, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Wow, that is so scary! I’m really glad she’s alright, I’m keeping you all in my prayers.

36 sarahdbelle March 9, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I am so happy that she’s okay. Enjoy and cherish your time with your family today!

37 Beadie @ What I Ate Yesterday March 9, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I am glad that your sister is going to be OK. {{{HUGS}}}

38 Becca A March 9, 2009 at 2:38 pm

I’m so relieved your sister is going to be alright!

39 Melissa March 9, 2009 at 2:39 pm

OMG, this brought tears to my eyes!
I’m SOOO happy she’s going to be okay!

40 Ashley March 9, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Your sister was in my prayers! I’m so glad she’s ok! I will be wearing a helmet from this day forward, there is no way I won’t after reading her story.

41 Run Saraaah March 9, 2009 at 2:54 pm

I am so relieved to hear she is okay…even more reason to remember to always wear my helmet, even if its just a short ride.

42 Joe Haldeman March 9, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Wonderful that your sister’s intelligence saved her head!

I’ve broken two helmets in fifty years of biking. No skulls.

Joe Haldeman

43 Ariel March 9, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I am so glad to hear that your sister is okay! What an incredible experience. I will remember her story and always make sure that my family and I wear our helmets.

44 Christy March 9, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Hi Meghann, I am long time reader, first time commenter. Sorry to hear about your sister, but I am so relieved to hear she is ok. My husband and I also bike a lot and I used to be resistant to wearing my helmet (even though I always do). Your sister’s story really hit home and I will make sure to always always wear my helmet! Hope she’s up and around soon!

45 Emily March 9, 2009 at 3:05 pm

I am so glad your sister is ok, and I wish her a speedy recovery! I feel so convicted because I hardly ever wear my helmet when riding my bike; I definitely need to do so every time!

46 kristi March 9, 2009 at 3:10 pm

I am so glad everything is okay.. how scary. Thanks for the great reminder about helmets.

47 verbalriot March 9, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Thank goodness she’s okay!!!

48 Sammie March 9, 2009 at 3:18 pm

That picture of her helmet is so scary. I am very glad to hear the GOOD NEWS!!!! Amazing that she has no broken bones after what her body went thorough. Enjoy your family time.

49 Allison March 9, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I have goosebumps right now. THANK GOD YOUR SISTER IS SO INTELLIGENT and wore her helmet!!!!!

I am so so so so so so happy to hear everyone is okay! Make sure you boss your sister around and have her take it easy! :)

50 Siobhan March 9, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I’m so glad your sister is okay- thank God for helmets. My younger cousin was playing outside recently and was hit by a motorcyclist. She broke her leg and collarbone but is doing okay. I guess you can never be too careful biking or running on busy roads! Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I love your blog & I’ll be thinking of you and your family.

51 Nicole March 9, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I am so glad to hear she is okay! It is amazing that she has no broken bones. Wow.

A couple of my friends have gotten hit by cars on their bikes, but with no serious injuries thank goodness. I used to be a bit lazy on putting on my helmet, but I know how freaking important it is and I am going to make sure to put it on no matter what.

52 hopiek March 9, 2009 at 3:32 pm

wow, chilling. I’m so glad you sister is safe and sound at home to recover. It’s amazing how important helmets are- thank you for reaffirming that!!

have a good day to you and all of your fam!!

53 Hangry Pants March 9, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Wow she is lucky! I can’t believe no broken bones. Yay Kelly!!!

54 Sarah March 9, 2009 at 3:34 pm

What a miracle and a testament to wearing a helmet. You never know what could happen. So glad that she is doing so well! Any recommendations on a good helmet?

55 Hallie March 9, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I kinda got choked up reading this post! I’m so glad everythings ok…I think I’m going to call my brother tonight and lecture him about wearing his helmet! What a happy, wonderful miracle.

56 alessa March 9, 2009 at 3:37 pm

oh my god, that is seriously a miracle. im so glad she is alright, best wishes to you and your family!

57 CarolynB~ March 9, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Glad that your sister is going to be fine. Also, how lucky you are to be so close (driving distance) to your family.

Enjoy and cherish the time together.

58 healthy ashley March 9, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Wow, Meghann. I am so sorry your sister had to go through this- and so glad she is okay! Thank God she was wearing that helmet!!

59 whitneyinchicago March 9, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I am so happy that she is OK. Wow.

60 aron March 9, 2009 at 3:56 pm

I am SO SO SO glad she is ok!!! I can’t even imagine how scary that must have been.

61 Sanja March 9, 2009 at 3:57 pm

O Meghann, how horrible what your sister, you and your family went through. I really hope your sister recovers quickly and I will keep her (and you) in my thoughts!

Thanks for the picture of the helmet. I am going to start training for a biking race this or next week, and my parents gave me a helmet. I was actually thinking I didn’t need one, because I have been biking since I was what, four? Almost everybody in the Netherlands has a bike and a lot of people (including me) use it for transportation to school, work, the grocery store etc (small country…). You have separate lanes for bikes almost everywhere (except along interstates of course), so surely I don’t need a helmet? I now see how wrong that kind of thinking is. Even if I were perfect (which, obviously, nobody is), there can be other people who run a red light, etc. So thank you!

And now I am off to find a Dutch company who makes road ID’s. Sorry for the rambling!

62 Matt March 9, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Wow I am so glad she is ok. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

This post actually brought back horid memories from last semester when I was hit by a car riding my bike. The bad news is that my parents live 10 hours and 3 states away.

63 Rose March 9, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I am so glad she’s OK!

64 Paige March 9, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I am so glad to hear everything turned out OK. That is such a scary situation and thank God she was wearing a helmet! Your family is in my thoughts!!!

65 Leah March 9, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Meghann, i’m so thankful that your sister is okay! Thank God she was wearing a helmet. This is seriously going to make me go out and buy one once I buy a bike.

66 chandra March 9, 2009 at 4:00 pm

OMG hun – this pretty much just made me tear up at my desk! Thank god she was wearing her helmet and is going to be okay. I’ll definitely keep her, you, and your family in my thoughts and hope for a speedy recovery!

67 Caitlin March 9, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I am so happy that all the many prayers were answered for you dear sister. Glad she is alright.

68 kilax March 9, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I am so so happy that Kelly had her helmet on and is doing ok. What a miracle!

69 Amanda @ Fake Ginger March 9, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Omg, this is serious the scariest thing I’ve ever heard. I am so so so glad that she is okay!

70 Erin March 9, 2009 at 4:07 pm

What a relief. I’m so thrilled she’s okay. Wow. I want to hug ya’ll!

71 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 9, 2009 at 4:08 pm

So glad Kelly is okay!! I’ll be thinking of you and your family.

72 Kristine March 9, 2009 at 4:13 pm

that is truly is a miracle. im glad she escaped with no serious injures!

73 Sarah March 9, 2009 at 4:22 pm

i am so thankful that everything is looking good for your sister, that is such a relief! I’m wishing her a very speedy recovery!

74 Deirdre March 9, 2009 at 4:23 pm

So glad to hear she is okay. Helmets seem silly to too many people yet they are beyond important.

75 Kath March 9, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Truly a miracle. So glad Kelly is OK. ((((Hugs))))

76 Sweet and Fit March 9, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I am so relieved that everything blew over! this really is a miracle – I am looking into getting a bike, and can’t believe I haven’t thought about getting a helmet yet – hope you are are doing well with all this!

77 Bobbi March 9, 2009 at 4:33 pm

So glad she is ok life is such a fragile thing:)

78 Bec March 9, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Glad your sister is doing ok! Hope you get her a terrific new helmet!

79 jenngirl March 9, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I’m am SO sorry that happened. I am very happy that your sister is alright, and y’all are definitely in my thoughts and prayers!!

80 VeggieGirl March 9, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Beautiful post. I’m BEYOND thankful that your sister survived.

81 sweetandnatural March 9, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Thank God your sister is ok. I was holding my breath the entire time I was reading your recap. I will keep her and your family in my thoughts!

82 Shelby March 9, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I will be sure to wear a helmet from now on!!!

My thoughts are with you and your family <3

83 Sharon March 9, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I definitely will be wearing one for sure. Glad your sister is okay.

84 ksgoodeats March 9, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Thank you so much for recapping this for all of us! When I heard about your sister’s accident my heart sank out of my chest. It’s truly a miracle that not only was she able to walk away from this but without any broken bones?! Someone was on her side :)

I hope everyone can learn from this and hopefully they will ALL wear their helmets ALL of the time!

Again, I am SO happy that Kelly is going to be alright!!

85 Natalie March 9, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Wow this is really scary. I wish the best to your sister, I am so glad to hear she is doing well. Your family is in my prayers.

86 Jaclyn March 9, 2009 at 5:24 pm

WOw, i had heard about your sisters accident through the blogging grape vine and while I haven’t followed your blog I have been waiting to hear how she is! I am SO glad she’s okay, and yes, helmets are SO important! Take care of her-and yourself!! Again, you and your family are in my thoughts!

87 Erica March 9, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Oh my gosh- I started tearing up reading this post and had to read it out loud again to Josh. I am so glad your sister is ok. I hope she is back to 100% soon.

88 carolinebee March 9, 2009 at 5:34 pm

i have the chills right now ughhh just reading that story and now writing this…i will be honest and say i never wear a helmet, and this is a huge wake up call. I’m so glad she’s ok, this is a truly a miracle..huge hugs to your whole family

89 linds March 9, 2009 at 5:35 pm

SO incredibly relieved to hear that your sister is ok!!!!!! Helmets forever. Wow. I am so happy for you that everything is going to be ok, I can’t even imagine the anxiety that you have been through and I hope your poor sister is feeling 100% in no time. *hugs*

90 Emily March 9, 2009 at 5:38 pm

so scary, but I am so glad to hear it all worked out, you guys are blessed!

91 tami March 9, 2009 at 5:56 pm

helmet and a road ID. i am so glad she is feeling ok. it’s amazing she didn’t have any major injuries.

92 Maggie March 9, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Oh my gosh… thank goodness she’s safe. Best wishes for her recovery.

93 jewels March 9, 2009 at 6:54 pm

so glad everything is okay

94 Erin March 9, 2009 at 7:29 pm

That’s amazing that she lived through that and it really proves the importance of wearing a helmet. So glad to hear everything is ok!

95 Lindsay March 9, 2009 at 7:32 pm

oh meghann i am definitely keeping your sister and family in my prayers… i just got caught up on blogs now and i was devasted to hear that about your sister but i am so happy that the prognosis is good… hang in there :/ sending prayers & happy thoughts your way

96 Chic Runner March 9, 2009 at 7:39 pm

So glad that everything worked out and so happy that the doctors didn’t find anything wrong. Glad she was wearing a helmet. Shows the power of helmets and how everyone should wear them. I will keep you guys in my prayers.

97 marafaye March 9, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Thank God she’s ok!!! What a scary thing to have happen! My thoughts are with all of you! (((HUGS)))

98 Brandi March 9, 2009 at 8:12 pm

that is crazy!

I’m so glad to hear that she is okay!!!

99 Lindsay March 9, 2009 at 8:14 pm

So glad your sister is ok, a true miracle that she not only survived but with just road rash and pain! A reminder for helmets, and for stop signs and driver awareness as well! Prayers are with you.

100 haya (living and learning) March 9, 2009 at 8:18 pm

oh my goodness! i am so glad to hear everything is okay. two years ago, i got a midnight phone call from my boyfriend to tell me he’d been hit by a car on his bike. it was probably one of the most awful 24 hours i’ve ever had to live (and go to work) though. luckily he was fine too (he’s a religious helmet wearer) but the bike wasn’t. it’s a small price to pay.

keeping your family in my thoughts

101 Danielle March 9, 2009 at 8:20 pm

I am so glad your sister is okay! Someone was definitely watching over her yesterday!

102 Bridget March 9, 2009 at 9:22 pm

I’m glad your sister is okay! Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

103 gina (fitnessista) March 9, 2009 at 9:24 pm

SO GLAD to hear she’s ok! i’ll be thinking and praying for you and your family

104 stephanie p March 9, 2009 at 9:25 pm

thank god she is okay.

105 Jenn (eating bender) March 9, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I am so happy to hear that she is ok, Meghann. So glad she was able to come home without any broken bones or critical injuries. I have been thinking about you all day and am definitely continuing to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

106 Justy2003 March 9, 2009 at 10:00 pm

SOOO glad to hear your sister is doing well! I’ll definitely keep wearing my helmet! Stories like this make me glad that I do. Hope your sister continues to quickly recover! Enjoy spend some time with your family!

107 Melissa S. March 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm

so glad she’s ok and that you’re ok too after talking to you this morning!

108 NAOmni March 9, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Oh my gosh! I’m glad to hear everything is okay!

109 Andrea March 9, 2009 at 11:16 pm

I’m just catching up on my blogs. Oh my God, Meghann. I’m so glad that your sister is okay – somebody was watching over her for sure. Thank you for sharing this with us. Portland is a very pro-bike city, but it still amazes me every time I see someone riding their bike without a helmet. Cherish this time with your family.

110 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) March 9, 2009 at 11:40 pm

I’m so glad to hear your sister is okay! Wishing her a speedy recovery!

111 ttfn300 March 9, 2009 at 11:44 pm

oh my gosh meghann, i can’t believe the looks of that helmet, and that your sis is coming away from it w/o major injuries. i’ve never liked riding in traffic… did she have a road id?? my thoughts are with you guys!!

112 Anne P March 10, 2009 at 4:15 am

Oh my gosh… how scary :( I am SO glad that she is okay… how lucky she was. Someone is clearly watching over your family and I am so glad! Thank god for helmets… that’s a great reminder to everyone!

Again, xoxo my thoughts and prayers are with you.

113 Sarah W. March 10, 2009 at 7:19 am

She is SO lucky to have walked away with VERY minor injuriest! I cannot believe the car actually RAN over her and she is OK – oh that is wonderful to hear! Take all the time you need to be with your family – we’ll be here when you return

114 leslie March 10, 2009 at 7:24 am

your sister is very lucky! i am glad she is ok. i will keep her and the rest of your family in my prayers that she has a speedy recovery!

115 Holly March 10, 2009 at 7:49 am

I am SO SO glad your sister is okay. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! And I will DEFINITELY be wearing my helmet – always. :-)

116 Jessica March 10, 2009 at 8:02 am

Wow, what an amazing story and I’m thankful to hear that your sister has such a great recovery and healing outlook.

117 Quinn March 10, 2009 at 8:11 am

SO glad she’s okay! They are so important to wear – and moreover, it’s important to wear the right kind. My father wore a novelty helmet (well motorcycles, not actual bicycles), and he can’t say the same as your sister. She is one smart cookie and is so very lucky!

118 Bridget March 10, 2009 at 8:28 am

Wow that just almost got me choked up at work!! I can’t even imagine the thoughts going through her head seeing the tired coming for her head!!!! Holy crap!!
I am SO happy she is okay!!

119 Quinn March 10, 2009 at 8:29 am

Meaghann, I am so glad that your sister is going to be perfectly fine! I live in NYC and there are so many stories of cycling accidents that don’t have the happy ending that this does.

I’m going to shamelessly plug the Road ID here – this little bracelet with identifying information can save your life in a situation like this. Mine has my name, 3 emergency numbers, my blood type AND my medical allergies on it. Please, everyone who runs or cycles on roads – please please please invest in one.

120 TorontoGirloutWest March 10, 2009 at 9:07 am

I’ve been away for a few days so I just read this now…… frightening!!! But thank God your sister is alright! I will never forget this story and will pass it on to those who blow off wearing a helmet.

Your sister and your family are in my prayers! :)

121 Angela March 10, 2009 at 10:31 am

Oh my gosh I am so sorry to hear this…but so relieved to hear that she is ok. Thank God. I hope you are all doing better.

122 lauren March 10, 2009 at 11:00 am

SO happy to hear your sister is ok. My father has a similar story except he fell off his bike on a deserted road and slid into a tree trunk. His helmet cracked into pieces and we are so happy it wasnt his head.

definitely always wear a helmet!

123 Natalie March 10, 2009 at 2:42 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family! I’m so very glad that your sister is okay.

124 greenbean March 10, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Praise Jesus! Thank you for sharing the good news!

125 Diana March 11, 2009 at 8:32 am

wow, that is such a scary story but I’m so glad to hear that she is ok! what a miracle that she doesn’t have any broken bones. i haven’t really been on a bike since i was a kid but i’ve been thinking about getting back into biking. this is a great reminder that it is of the upmost importance to take the proper safety precautions to heart. I hope she feels better soon!

126 Dale Kaup April 14, 2009 at 8:20 pm

sISTER should not be capitalized.

127 Claude Laflamme April 15, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Thanks for sharing this experience with the web population. This will also serve as a perfect example of the importance of wearing a helmet for all my scouts during our upcoming bike trip.

128 Vanessa April 28, 2009 at 9:51 am

I am SO glad your sister is alright! What a miracle that she came through with only minor injuries!

I always, always wear my helmet, and after this post I know for certain that it is the smartest thing to do.

Hope her injuries heal up quickly.

129 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm

SO true!!! My dad is a brain surgeon, and he always wonders why those people never wear a helmet…he sees it all. the. time. SO sad!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..FIT