I Survived!

by Meghann on March 7, 2009

I did it! I survived my first Open Water Lake Swim. So what if I was one of the last swimmers and was totally relying on the lady in front of me for on going support. The point is I finished and I am ready to take on my first Sprint Triathalon next weekend! :)

But Let’s rewind first so you can get the whole story.

Last night after I blogged my Sister decided to pull out the left over Carrot Cake Whoopee Pies I had saved for her in the freezer. I enjoyed mine immensely.

DSCN2536.JPG

Thanks again Nicole for the wonderful sweet treat.

We also prepared Breakfast Cookies last night to enjoy before the big swim.

DSCN2541.JPG

I made mine this time with 1/2 cup of Oats, 1/4 cup of Applesauce, Chocolate Chips, Strawberries, Cinnamon and a bit of Plain Non-Fat Yogurt. With a gorgeous Plum on top. This time I let it hardened in the freezer for a bit and it made all the difference. I really love these things.

Now, I discovered the location for the lake swim thanks to fellow blogger Katy a couple of months ago. The place is called Lucky’s Lake Swim and it is this guy called Lucky who every morning opens up his backyard to anyone who loves to swim and leads them across the lake and back for a 1 kilometer swim.

DSCN2544.JPG

He lives on a BEAUTIFUL property in a very upscale neighborhood and the lake is privately owned among the residents.

When we arrived my Sister and I felt sort of like outcasts. There was a dozen or so other swimmers all pumped up for the swim. The water was just south of 65 degrees and while everyone else was pulling on the wetsuits, while my Sister and I were staring wide eyed at the water wondering if we could actually do this.

Luckily everyone was really supportive telling us it would be a breeze and the water really isn’t ‘that cold.’ They were able to talk both of us into it and before we knew it my Sis and I were suited up and ready to take on the challenge.

DSCN2545.JPG

At 8:00 Lucky came out and officially started the swim. Everyone kind of just ran into the water so I followed suit. The cold water was definitely a challenge and took the breath right out of me. I pushed through and found a rhythm that warmed me up and pushed the cold water out of my mind.

DSCN2546.JPG

From the beginning my Sister was yelling at me for support. I tried to tell her she could do this, but I had to worry about myself as well. Not even a 1/4 of a way into the swim she said she was scared and wanted to turn around. I told her if she had any doubts this was the time to turn around, this swim was way to dangerous to be scared of it. She turned around and I was on my own.

Luckily there was a lady swimming in front of me who had a noodle attached behind her as a just in case safety precaution. I kept her in eye sight and knew that if anything happened I could call for her and the noodle could hopefully keep me from drowning. I saw the noodle as my safety net and that enabled me to keep pushing forward.

Once I hit the other side of the lake I had swam 500m and could not believe I had to do it all over again. I rested on the beach with noodle lady for about 5 minutes then jumped back in and did it all over again.

The way back thankfully went faster and to keep me moving I think I discovered my Mantra.

DSCN2550.JPG

A couple of weeks ago my sister and brother were bantering back and forth on Facebook calling me a machine. For some reason that conversation was high in my head and in the last leg of the swim I kept repeating in my head “I am a Machine.. I can do this… I am a Machine!” It worked and I made it!

Now 1km swim might not seem like a lot to most of you, but for someone who has not been in a pool since September this was a big deal and a big accomplishment. I felt this huge feeling of accomplishment come over me when I finished.

Lucky has a this great wall where any one who has swam the lake can add their name to the wall.

DSCN2552.JPG

I proudly signed my name when I finished.

DSCN2554.JPG

You also receive a bumper sticker and patch to let everyone know you have survived! :)

DSCN2560.JPG

After the swim I was beat! In the car my Sister and I split a Peppermint Stick Luna Bar.

DSCN2557.JPG

Then we decided to go for a run around Lake Eola.

DSCN2559.JPG

I did 4 laps at a 9 minute pace which came to about 3.3 miles. I walked a fifth lap as well. My body was just so beat from the swim, its going to be interesting to take on the tri next weekend.

I still have more Sister bonding time ahead of me today, but it has already been a great weekend. I am so thankful to have a sister who is willing to bike, swim and run with me. Love you Sissy! :)

1 Marissa March 7, 2009 at 11:55 am
2 ttfn300 March 7, 2009 at 11:57 am

great swim! and fun times with the sis :) have you done a brick yet? bike to the run? i’d highly recommend it just so you know what to expect!

3 snackface March 7, 2009 at 12:09 pm

You’re athleticism amazes me! I love how you’re willing to try new things with excercising and fitness; it’s rather inspirational. Have a fun day with your sister!

4 innerwellness March 7, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I am glad that you had such an awesome swim! Swimming has always been a difficult sport for me! I had to train for the lifeguarding test in high school which is only like a 500 meter swim for like 2 weeks, haha. Love the blog, by the way! Your are so athletic, it is definitely an inspiration!

5 caitlin March 7, 2009 at 12:30 pm

you are loco!! cant wait to watch you do the tri!

6 Run Saraaah March 7, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Congratulations!! :D Swimming 1km is a lot more difficult in the open water than in a lane. I find it’s really hard to judge how far you have gone. Awesome at keeping at it – it’s partly psychological I think.

7 Angel March 7, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I’m so glad you finished out the swim! Tell Kelly I said “HI” and enjoy the rest of your Sister Weekend!!

8 Sarah March 7, 2009 at 1:08 pm

You ARE a machine!

Freezing breakfast cookies has changed my life.

Enjoy your sissy time!

9 Hangry Pants March 7, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I am totally impressed! You’re really lucky that you can do active things with your sister! When my sisters and I get togehter we shop and eat. :D

10 fitforfree March 7, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Congrats!!! It’s so easy to play mind games with yourself in open water — way to conquer it :-)

11 VeggieGirl March 7, 2009 at 1:48 pm

MAJOR CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You’re so inspiring, Meghann!!

Oh and helllll yes for whoopie pies.

12 Andrea [bella eats] March 7, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Congrats on your first lake swim!!! I am debating a sprint triathlon this summer…there’s an organizational meeting in the next couple of weeks that I’m going to to see if I’m really interested. I can’t wait to read about how yours goes!!!

13 Holly March 7, 2009 at 2:07 pm

That is so exciting! I am doing my first sprint tri in August and am already worried about swimming in open water. You rocked it! I will have to follow your tips. :-)

14 Adi (oatonomy.com) March 7, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Congrats on your swim, that’s amazing. So inspirational!
By the way, both you and your sister have cute swimsuits :)

15 Wiggs March 7, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Ooooo good for you!!! I was a swimmer for 13 years and I still remember how hard it was when I was first starting out! Plus, 1000 meters in open water is much harder than 1000 meters in a pool. I used to swim between 5000 and 8000 meters a day, but if I tried open water I would die. My college swim coach held the men’s AND women’s world record for the English Channel swim (she trained the guy who beat her record) and she always told us about how difficult it was compared to pool swimming.

If you ever need any swimming tips, I’m your lady! I’m a certified swim coach, so I won’t b.s. you. :)

16 Red Head, Yellow Dog March 7, 2009 at 3:12 pm

1 km definitely seems like a lot to me!! Maybe I’m just an awful swimmer (okay I am) but I find swimming in open water so dang hard! It’s exhausting! I’ll take a 13 miler over a long swim any day!

17 landoffruitsandnuts March 7, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Congrats- that’s awesome! I’m doing my first race and triathlon ever in 15 days– eek! I’m most worried about the swimming part because I don’t have that great of form- any advice?! I can’t wait to see how yours goes because I’ve never been to a race, let alone a triathlon! Good luck!

18 Emily March 7, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Great job with the swim! I am definitely not a fast swimmer, so I would probably be scared, too.

19 Brandi March 7, 2009 at 3:17 pm

great job!

20 Mel March 7, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Congrats on the swim! It sounds like a fun change of pace!

21 kristi March 7, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Awesome job Meghann! Thats so cool that you are close with your sister…I am too! :)

Your breakfast cookie looks super good, I’ve never seen it made like that before!

22 Mica March 7, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Wow, that lake swim sounds really cool/hard! That’s awesome you got to sign your name! Congratulations!

23 Amelia March 7, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Amazing job on the swim! That sounds pretty intense!

24 Hallie March 7, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Great job!

True story…as I was reading this post and macking on some tortilla chips (my bf threw them at me, what was I supposed to do?) I hear, “hey honey, who’s Derek —–?” I had to explain “um…the friend of a blogger I read and he sent me a pretzel” LOL and as I suspected I got the eye-roll/laugh/sigh as he tossed my treat to me.

So my boyfriend thinks I’m a freak, but I got a Greenwise pretzel so I don’t care!! Man, that thing is ginormous! I wish I wasn’t full of greasy sodium-laden chips so I could give it a try. THANKS again, Derek and Meghann!

25 biz319 March 7, 2009 at 4:35 pm

that is an AWESOME accomplishment! When I did my triathlon in 2006, my hubby was most worried about the open water swim – and my swim was only half of what you did today!

But he was glad he saw all the lifeguards in the actual water – you’d be swimming along and they would ask “are you doing okay?”

I was fine until about 3/4 of the way in, a woman swam right into me and I swallowed a bunch of water. A lifeguard came over and handed me a noodle so I could catch my breath. So when I was ready to hand the noodle back he says “you can keep it!” So I did!

You can’t imagine my husband’s relief when he saw me get out of the water!

26 angiismyname March 7, 2009 at 4:37 pm

i am with roosky. Big lakes are scary in florida. I would’ve been freaking out too. good job meggy.

27 glidingcalm March 7, 2009 at 5:21 pm

wow swimming is intense. i used to do it twice a day at camp, and was SO FAST, and now whenever I go swimming I feel SO out of shape and bad!! it’s seriously so difficult!!!

btw. your sis totally looks so much like Caitlin!! in those 2 pics I thought it was her!

mmmmm carrot cake whoopie pie and breakfast cookies. i want some!!!

TAKE CARE MEG!

28 eatingbirdfood March 7, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I am a terrible swimmer so I think you are amazing… then to go for a run… crazy girl!!! Have fun with your sis.

29 Sharon March 7, 2009 at 5:43 pm

AWESOME JOB!!! And love it!!!

30 Shelby March 7, 2009 at 5:52 pm

AMAZING JOB!!! I’m so proud of you girl =)

Mmm, next time I’ll try putting the b-fast cookie in the freezer. It sounds great!

31 Leah March 7, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Wow you did amazing!

32 inmytummy March 7, 2009 at 6:04 pm

You rock, chica! I have flirted with the idea of a triathlon, but the swimming part always puts me off.

33 inmytummy March 7, 2009 at 6:04 pm

34 ksgoodeats March 7, 2009 at 6:51 pm

YAY! Congrats, Meghann!! Glad you made it :)

You = MACHINE!

35 Becca A March 7, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Great job on the swim!

Haha, like Hallie I had to explain where a giant pretzel from a Publix just appeared from…Many thanks to you and Derek! Its awesome and I’m glad its so big because I have to share!

36 Sarah March 7, 2009 at 7:43 pm

great swim!!! i get so nervous in a regular old swimming pool that i think i would have run for the hills if faced with an entire km in an open lake, ahhhhh. keep up the amazing work — you’re so good to your body, and you’re going to be a star at the tri!

37 Marianne March 7, 2009 at 8:40 pm

That’s a whole lotta swimming. Especially in cold water like that. Good job.

I so want one of those whoopie pies.

38 Sally March 7, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Congratulations! I am always inspired by how gung-ho you are about trying (and succeeding at!) new things!

I like your mantra… I will have to keep that in mind for myself because one of the trainers at my gym calls me machine. It’s not a bad nickname!

PS I agree with GlidingCalm re: your sister looks a lot like Caitlin.

39 Amanda @ Fake Ginger March 7, 2009 at 10:23 pm

You just continue to impress me, lady! Great job on the swim and then a run afterwards? Crazy!

That’s so cool that Lucky does that.

40 Parth March 8, 2009 at 10:55 am

Congratulations on taking up the challenge, and finishing it. Taking up fitness challenges is the best way to keep in shape. 1 km is amazing in my book, especially since I can’t even swim.

41 Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2009 at 5:00 pm

That’s it. You’re a total bad ass! :)

42 hundredtenpounds April 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm