Green Smoothie

by Meghann on March 6, 2009

Today is Day 3 of trying to work myself back into my running groove. Its amazing how we can have the runs of our lives over the weekend and struggle over the next week as our bodies recover from all the pressure. My legs are still recovering from last weekend and I am trying my best to listen to what they have to say.

I did manage to up the mileage to 5 miles this morning, but it was a very slow and steady 5 miles. I should be thankful that I can even run 5 miles and hope that I will have some of the speed I worked so hard for back next week.

For the last week day edition of Cereal Free Week I made something I have seen popping up around the Blog World.. a Green Smoothie.

DSCN2513

I used to drink smoothies all the time over the summer and couldn’t remember why I stopped drinking them for breakfast… that is until I got half way through my smoothie and found myself Freezing! Oh yeah, that’s why I don’t drink smoothies in the winter.. I am still shivering as I try to recover from the cold morning drink. After I finish writing this I am making a nice cup of Hot Tea to hopefully counteract the effect.

For my Green Smoothie I loaded my blender up with Ice, Mango, Spinach, Strawberries, Kiwi & Vanilla Chobani.

DSCN2505

This was my first experiment with Spinach in a smoothie and honestly I couldn’t even tell it was in there. Despite freezing myself drinking the smoothie, I really enjoyed the taste and can’t wait to make on again when it gets a little warmer outside to enjoy.

With the Green Smoothie, I had the last two of my Donuts with a glaze of Pumpkin Butter.

DSCN2507

Is anyone else super excited it’s Friday?!?!?!? I can’t wait for the clock to strike 4:00 and I become free for the weekend. Woo hoo!

1 Mica March 6, 2009 at 8:38 am

That smoothie looks great! I wish we had more fruit–I’d totally make one! (And get cold too!)

I’m excited it’s Friday! Have a great start to your weekend!

2 coco March 6, 2009 at 8:42 am

great green smoothie! it’s rocking the blog community! 😀 have a nice friday!

3 Emily March 6, 2009 at 8:51 am

I’m super excited for the weekend, too!
Great job pushing through your run. You’ll be back into the swing of things in no time!

4 VeggieGirl March 6, 2009 at 9:03 am

Faaabulous smoothie!!

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

5 fitforfree March 6, 2009 at 9:06 am

nice job on the 5 miles! way to listen to your legs.

Love the doughnuts . . .

6 Sarah March 6, 2009 at 9:30 am

haha, you certainly made short work of those doughnuts!

7 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 6, 2009 at 9:31 am

Love that smoothie. I think I am getting brave enough to try it. and TGIF!! Have a great day!

8 Wiggs March 6, 2009 at 9:36 am

Love your blog!

I just wanted to tell you – 5 miles is pretty friggin’ great! I’ve been writing about training for my first half marathon and right now 5 miles sounds like death to me. But I’m still learning how to be a runner (while living with a guy who runs a 2:38 in his marathon…yeah). 🙂

Question (and my apologies if you mentioned it already and I missed it) – what is vanilla chobani? It sounds so gourmet!

9 Meghann March 6, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Vanilla Chobani is a greek yogurt… its really good!

10 innerwellness March 6, 2009 at 9:39 am

I tried my first green smoothie today as well!

11 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) March 6, 2009 at 9:49 am

Oh yeah I am totally stoked for friday too! It’s only 6:49 am over here in California so I’ve got a looooooooooong way to go.

12 Sharon March 6, 2009 at 9:59 am

Oh yes to FRIDAY!!

13 brandi March 6, 2009 at 10:07 am

yay for friday!

I’m having a green smoothie today, too!

14 healthy ashley March 6, 2009 at 10:08 am

SO excited it’s Friday!

I love your cute donuts!

15 Danielle March 6, 2009 at 10:15 am

I have yet to have a smoothie with spinach it, but I’ll probably be waiting until the summer, I’m already cold enough as it is in the morning.

16 snackface March 6, 2009 at 10:21 am

I have the same issues with smoothies! I can never have them alone either, I’d totally need dem donuts! I am SUPER pumped it’s friday–the only night I’m going out this week. AND it’s warm- so I’m excited for dressing up and not freezing my hiney off! Hope 4 is here sooner than you know it!

17 Hallie March 6, 2009 at 10:38 am

Eh…I’m not so pumped it’s Friday because I have a long day at work (12 hours maybe?) so I’ll be more happy when it’s Saturday morning 🙂

18 Run Saraaah March 6, 2009 at 10:48 am

What a yummy smoothie…I want to try spinach in one, but I’m scared!

19 Missy (Missy Maintains) March 6, 2009 at 10:55 am

The smoothie looks so good! I have been meaning to make one!! Love the donus too!

20 Rose March 6, 2009 at 11:03 am

Great smoothie combo this morning. I like how you added kiwi. Did the Chobani work well? Seems like it!

21 Meghann March 6, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I really liked the choabi in there. It gave the smoothie a little kick and made it just a touch creamier. Try it, its good

22 Heather Eats Almond Butter March 6, 2009 at 11:03 am

Meghann, you’ll get your speed back soon. Just keep listening to your body. I’m glad you’re taking your recovery slow. 🙂

Your green smoothie sounded delicious, but I must admit the donuts looked much better. Happy Friday!

23 Meghann March 6, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Thank you, Heather. For some reason your comment instantly made me feel better.

24 Carolyn March 6, 2009 at 11:09 am

I can relate to the freezing effects of a smoothie. When I was on a work break last year I used to go to the gym and get my workout done and then come home and have a great smoothie. It consisted of yogurt, banana, pineapple, blueberries, strawberries raspberries, blackberries, spinach and oj and plenty of ice cause I love them slushy. Well I would drink it up and then would have to take a hot shower cause I was shivering…but that was my routine.

25 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 6, 2009 at 11:16 am

Too many green smoothies floating around the blogs for me to resist much longer!

And I would totally have one along side a cup of tea for breakfast. Who cares that’s technically just 2 beverages! YEAH FRIDAY.

26 Andrea (Off Her Cork) March 6, 2009 at 11:17 am

Love the smoothies! Woooty woot!

Sausage sandwiches with kraut are totally on th menu for this evening! 😀

27 Sarah March 6, 2009 at 11:26 am

Awesome donut/spinach smoothie combo. I don’t think you could find two more polar opposite foods on paper. Or on a plate.

28 Julie March 6, 2009 at 11:39 am

I can’t wait to make those donuts!! They look so delish 🙂 Nice smoothie girl

29 tami March 6, 2009 at 12:12 pm

have a great weekend. cant’ wait to hear about the brittney concert,

30 Natalie March 6, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Smoothie looks good, I’ll have to try adding spinach…I’ve always been scared of the taste. Now I have proof it’s yummy 🙂

31 Lee March 6, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Britney played here last night and, although I didn’t go, I heard great things about the show!

32 Jenn (eating bender) March 6, 2009 at 12:36 pm

When I made a green smoothie I thought the same thing – first, that I couldn’t taste the spinach, and second…”oh, now I know why I don’t make these in the winter!” It gives me the shivers just thinking about it!

Love the pumpkin butter topped donuts. I just got some pumpkin butter and I’m very excited to use it!

Soooo glad it’s Friday!!

33 elise March 6, 2009 at 12:39 pm

you are inspiring me to add spinach to my own smoothies! i just dont know if my (less than fancy) blender will purify it enough to mask it…

have you ever made kale chips? thats another thing im working my way up to trying. but i dont really know how. tutorial?

34 Meghann March 6, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I’ve tried Kale Chips before and was not impressed with them, possibly becuase I burned them. I know if you go on Kath’s site theres a tutorial of sorts.

And trust me my blender is a cheapo piece of crap and was able to tackle the spinach. If mine can do it, then yours can do it 🙂

35 alessa March 6, 2009 at 12:59 pm

smoothie looks delish! for some reason, when i try to make smoothies they never turn out very well.. sad. plus it doesnt help that i never seem to have any ice in my freezer!

would you be able to post the recipe for the donuts? for some reason i couldnt find it on the link you posted.. but i could just be missing it.

so excited for the weekend too, yay!

36 Meghann March 6, 2009 at 1:12 pm
37 Maddy March 6, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Haha I made a green smoothie today too! And before I did I went searching around to see what ppl had been putting in them. Yours looks delish! =)

38 ksgoodeats March 6, 2009 at 1:21 pm

I love the green monster smoothies but they’ll have to wait until the middle of July for me to attempt them!

Happy Friday!!

39 Shelby March 6, 2009 at 1:48 pm

I’m so excited it’s Friday!! And wow, love that green smoothie breakfast. I remember the first time I tried one a year ago and I was shocked that I couldn’t taste the greens!

40 Sweet and Fit March 6, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I have never made a green smoothie, its kinda funny how you have bright red strawberries in your blender, but your smoothie is still bright green! I’m glad you are still trying to listen to your body and hopefully you can get back into hardcore running again soon =)

41 Kristine March 6, 2009 at 6:29 pm

how funny. i just made a smoothie for myself too :] i have never heard of putting spinach in one. i may have to throw some in next time.

42 Melissa S. March 6, 2009 at 7:45 pm

love the morning smoothie! but totally agree that it’s not very good to have when it’s so cold!

43 Leah March 7, 2009 at 10:13 am

Glad you liked the smoothie! I try to have one a couple times per week!