more ยป" />

Secrets Revealed

by Meghann on March 5, 2009

The moleskin was a success! I covered my blister with a patch of the moleskin and the rubbing ceased for my 4 mile run. My legs are still not 100% back to normal yet, so it was a slow 10 minute mile run. But as I always say its better to approach things slowly then to give it all I got and end up with an injury!

I hoped I spiked some interest in you last night concerning my dessert. I loved reading all of you guesses, but only one person was able to guess what it truly was and I kind of wish I had a prize for her.

Hangry Pants, on March 4th, 2009 at 10:51 pm Said: Edit Comment

Congrats Kelly!

What is that – some kind of donut? I canโ€™t wait to find out!

Yes, Heather you are right! It was a donut..haha

Earlier this week Mica had featured Baked Banana Donuts on her blog. In the spirit of Cereal Free Week, I figured what better of a breakfast option is there in the morning then fresh donuts?

So I baked up a batch of donuts last night using the recipe found here but instead of mashed banana I used applesauce.

DSCN2458

I was actually very proud of myself to form the donut shape on the baking sheet.

I also halved the recipe and ended up with just shy of a dozen donuts.

DSCN2471

I knew I could not resist testing out one of my donut creations with them staring me in the fact so I chowed into one for dessert. Of course, I had to try and replicate my favorite donut of them allโ€ฆ Chocolate Icing Covered Donut!

DSCN2478

I melted a mix of Chocolate Chips and Butterscotch Chips then dunked the donut in the chocolate-buttery goodness until it was coated. Then I immediately put the bowl under water so I would not start scraping it with my tongue.

The chocolate coated donut was AMAZING!!! It may be something you see again for dessert tonight. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This morning I enjoyed three different variations of my donuts with a cup of fruit salad on the side.

DSCN2480

The first donut was dipped in plain Vanilla Chobani, the second coated with Pumpkin Butter and the third was a combination of Lemon Curd and Vanilla Chobani.

DSCN2483

I think my FAVORITE was the mix of Lemon Curd and Vanilla Chobani. Seriously this is my new favorite combination of flavors and it was the perfect โ€˜icinigโ€™ for the donut!

The Lemon Curd and Vanilla Chobani was also a great combination in the fruit salad that included Kiwi, Grapes and Strawberries.

DSCN2481

It was really a fun breakfast treat that brought back an old favorite I havenโ€™t had in years!!! If you have the time I highly suggest making your won donuts! Yum!!

What is your favorite donut and from where? I just have two words for this answerโ€ฆ Hot Nowโ€ฆ. Umm.. Hello?!?!?! Who doesnโ€™t love a HOT Krispy Kreme?!?!?! I grew up with a Dad who refused to drive by a Krispy Kreme with a hot sign lit up out front and not go insideโ€ฆlol ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Ryane March 5, 2009 at 9:03 am

Oooh I’ve got those donuts bookmarked and just need to find a good moment to bake them up!
Looks deeeelish!

2 Mica March 5, 2009 at 9:03 am

Oh man, I’m glad I could be inspirational for your cereal-free week! (Well, I guess it was more Roommate Tina!) These turned out great, I love the chocolate-dipped dessert one.

Eventually, I hope to have time to try the recipe myself,haha.

3 snackface March 5, 2009 at 9:05 am

AHHH!! Omfg, I HAVE to make these over Spring Break! Those look absolutely amazing! We didn’t really get to eat many donuts, but the Tim Holes from Tim Horton’s were always purched en route to Canada. Also, my mom used to let us get a donut when we went grocery shopping at Meijer, and I used to get the DELICIOUS chocolate-glazed, custard-filled eclair. Oh I didn’t realize it, but I kinda miss that!

4 foodsthatfit March 5, 2009 at 9:06 am

Oh my goodness those look so good! I really like dense donuts, rather than the airy Krispy Cremes, and these look like they would be a good substitute. I haven’t had a donut in I don’t know how long, b/c I feel bad after I eat them. THIS is so awesome, I can’t wait to try it!

5 Meg March 5, 2009 at 9:13 am

I haven’t had donuts in a long time! These are fabulous. I love them!

6 Kat March 5, 2009 at 9:16 am

These look so yummy! How much applesauce did you use? Can’t wait to try them out!
Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Meghann March 5, 2009 at 4:15 pm

For halving the recipe I used 1/3 cup of applesauce

8 dailygoods March 5, 2009 at 9:17 am

woah those donuts look amazing!!! i like cakey donuts. Theres a place called fractured prune in maryland and it is the absolute best! you get a fresh hot donut and then you tell them what you want it dipped in. you can create your own! love it yummm ah it reminds me of the beach!

9 Aimee March 5, 2009 at 9:32 am

I have seen baked donuts on a few blogs and always want to make them. I think you have me convinced!! The chocolate one looks really yummy.

I can’t tell you the last time I had a donut. I tried to scope out some munchkins as an airport DD over the summer, but no luck. I’m going to have to say munchkins were my favorite, but I haven’t had one in 15 years!

10 Victoria March 5, 2009 at 9:33 am

Donuts! That’s awesome. I can’t believe I haven’t tried to make some yet. They look great!

11 Colleen March 5, 2009 at 9:39 am

Oooooo, I’m with you on the Krispy Kremes…I love Dunkin Donuts too. LOL

Once a year when we go on vacation we go to DD or KK every morning for a week…it’s wonderful! In theory it sounds totally gross, but it’s our once-a-year indulgence.

12 Sarah March 5, 2009 at 9:42 am

mmmm, yum. even better than my guess! yet another recipe for me to bookmark ๐Ÿ™‚

i looooove iced blueberry donuts — dunkin used to have them but i they seem to be few and far between these days. favorite #2 is a strawberry iced donut with rainbow sprinkles … probably because i walk by a cart full of them on the street every morning and then spend the rest of the day daydreaming about them!

13 Sammie March 5, 2009 at 9:43 am

What a great breakfast!! I actually posted about donuts this morning. Glad you awere able to get in a run, Enjoy your day.

14 Sarah March 5, 2009 at 9:50 am

ive never had a krispy kreme before even though my dad has routinely eaten a dozen at a time. and he’s not even huge or anything!

15 VeggieGirl March 5, 2009 at 9:51 am

HOLY FREAKING YUM DONUT GOODNESS!!

16 Kat March 5, 2009 at 9:54 am

Those doughnuts look so yummy; I think I am going to have to make some this weekend!

I went to school at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, NC (I.e., the home of Krispy Kreme). There are a TON of stores there and I swear they always have on the “Hot Now” sign. Good thing I didn’t have the same rule as your Dad!

17 Anna March 5, 2009 at 10:09 am

I’m a Boston girl, so my favorite has always been Dunkin Donuts’ powdered! I havent had one in YEARS tho, not even as a treat… because while I enjoy them at the time, I just find them so unsatisfying. But I want to make yours! those look GOOD!

18 sarahdbelle March 5, 2009 at 10:21 am

Wow, Meghann! Those donuts look incredible. What a fantastic breakfast!
Sarah

19 tami March 5, 2009 at 10:24 am

we don’t have KK up here anymore ๐Ÿ™ and when i mean up here, we still had to drive 2+ hours to get them

i schedule my vacations around KK

there is a small little bakery about 20 minutes from our house who makes good donuts. i have a recipe for pumpkin ones that are tasty.

20 brandi March 5, 2009 at 10:25 am

oh man, those look amazing!

I would have to have one of the choc/butterscotch ones for breakfast, too ๐Ÿ™‚

There’s this local place here, Carol Lee, that makes the BEST donuts. Ever. My favorites are the chocolate cake, toasted coconut, and maple iced. Yum!

21 lauren (athlEAT) March 5, 2009 at 10:29 am

The donuts look great! I have seen them around and will have to try them. You should be completely happy with a 10 min mile pace! It isnt THAT slow…but I am partial. ๐Ÿ˜‰ hey – it’s all about perspective!

22 Amanda March 5, 2009 at 10:35 am

I love raspberry filled donuts from Krispy Kreme but never get them. They are so good!

Those homemade donuts looks awesome.

23 Sharon March 5, 2009 at 10:39 am

OH MY! I want those, those look delicious!!!

24 Hallie March 5, 2009 at 10:39 am

My favorite is the maple kind, but I’m not picky. I lov donuts and I think I eat maybe…2 a year? I like the local donut shop kind better than krispy Kreme…although I haven’t had a KK donut in years, so I don’t really remember what it tastes like.

Anyone out there watch 30 Rock? “You ever stuck a donut in the microwave?” -Liz Lemon aka my TV character clone (sad as that is to admit!)

25 Erica March 5, 2009 at 10:48 am

Great work! What a fun breakfast!….I don’t like donuts. I know I know- I just never really have?

26 verbalriot March 5, 2009 at 11:02 am

those looks fantastic, especially with all the coatings on them! YUM

I’m with you on the lava hot krispy kreme love. So good!

27 dailydulcie March 5, 2009 at 11:05 am

Wow.. I haven’t had a donut in FOREVER and those look FANTASTIC. I may have to try that recipe out soooon!

Hmm.. I never had the pleasure of have a hot krispy kreme donut ๐Ÿ™ I used to love the strawberry frosted donuts w/ sprinkles from dunkin donuts!

I started my own blog finally: http://dailydulcie.wordpress.com/

28 Hangry Pants March 5, 2009 at 11:11 am

That’s awesome! I am glad you’re enjoying the Lemon Curd too.

I actually don’t love donuts. Even when I was little I would pick a bagel or muffin, but there is a good place near my parents’ house that makes them fresh. They also make donut cakes, which are wonderous!

29 Missy (Missy Maintains) March 5, 2009 at 11:18 am

Those look delicious So creative with the toppings! I love glazed donuts with chocolate icing!! Thanks, now I am craving donuts haha!

30 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 5, 2009 at 11:20 am

OMG how incredible! I would never have thought of baking my own doughnuts! Imma check it out now. Nice Job!

31 Marissa March 5, 2009 at 11:25 am
32 bobbi March 5, 2009 at 11:35 am

I made those a couple weeks ago and sent them away to my hubbys co-workers, I NEED to make them for me and try all your icings!

33 Run Saraaah March 5, 2009 at 11:38 am

What an awesome recipe – thank you for posting! ๐Ÿ™‚ I definitely want to try it out.

34 caitlin March 5, 2009 at 11:44 am

glazed chocolate is my fav…. mmmm… from dunkin donuts.

35 Sarah March 5, 2009 at 11:46 am

Awesome, I will have to make some donuts for the girls! My mom used to get a box from Dunkin Donuts and then cut a few up into about eight pieces and she’d give us fondue forks and we’d sample the different flavors. I guess my mom could be really cool sometimes.

36 Adi (oatonomy.com) March 5, 2009 at 11:48 am

Tim Hortons doughnuts up in here Canada used to be the best — they’ve since gone cardboardish. I think the best place for doughnuts now is a grocery store near my parent’s place. They’re always SO FRESH and have the best apple fritters!!

37 Julie March 5, 2009 at 11:48 am

I printed out that recipe a few days ago and now I have to make them this weekend!!

My favorite donut as a little girl was jelly from Dunkin Donuts. LOVED them. I also liked the honey dipped (aka glazed, we called them honey dipped) and glazed chocolate cake. I only ate the glazed part of the chocolate though.

I’ve never had krispy kreme. They opened a few up here but they didn’t last too long. We are dunkin’ people.

38 Hallie March 5, 2009 at 11:57 am

Ok see my comment above? Well I just had a donut (well 1/2 of one) last week and someone just dropped off FOUR DOZEN donuts to thank my department and a few others for our hard work this week.

It’s going to be a long day, ladies and gents.

39 Bridget March 5, 2009 at 12:24 pm

My GOODNESS that looks AMAZING!!! Baked donuts and lemon curd sound so incredible right now!!!

I’ve only had a hot Krispy Kreme like twice…a couple locations came to the Boston area a few years ago but they didnt last…Dunkin Donuts owns New England in the donut front haha! I do miss those hot ones!!!

40 runeatrepeat March 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Darn, I totally knew it was a donut and didn’t comment ๐Ÿ™‚ I know my desserts!

41 krittie March 5, 2009 at 12:49 pm

You have inspired me to try a new recipe!

42 ksgoodeats March 5, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Oh my GOSH – those look and sound incredible!!

43 Becca A March 5, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I think I have to agree with you on Krispy Kreme!

44 biz319 March 5, 2009 at 1:22 pm

I’ve made baked pumpkin donuts before – yours look good too!

Dunkin Donuts Apple Fritter – heated up in the oven!

45 Allie March 5, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Those donuts look delicious, I am going to try them!

Where/what is your lemon curd? It sounds so good! Do you get it from a store?

46 coco March 5, 2009 at 1:47 pm

wooooo…… your baked donuts looks delicious!!!!! My favorite one from these three options would be pumpkin! ๐Ÿ˜€ (I haven’t had donuts for years, so I can’t even remember what was my fav)

47 Shelby March 5, 2009 at 2:04 pm

AMAZING! I love donuts =)

48 Audrey March 5, 2009 at 2:30 pm

mmm donuts…there’s literally 5 dunks within 1 minute from my office in boston & my fav is chocolate glazed. i cant even remember the last time i had one because if i eat one then i want like 5 a day. haha

49 Matt March 5, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I love Dunkin Donuts… Those look pretty good though so I think I’ll make some!

50 Heather Eats Almond Butter March 5, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Meghann, I loved this breakfast – sounds so good, and there is NOTHING better than a simple glazed donut from Krispy Kreme!

51 Nicole March 5, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I love donuts! I like pumpkin spice donuts. So good!

52 Kristine March 5, 2009 at 4:10 pm

oh man do those look good! i just may have to make those this weekend. i bet it would taste heavenly with nutella on top :] my favorite is just the simple glazed twist donuts! with a nice glass of cold soy milk. yummy!!

53 Danielle March 5, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Great breakfast it looks so fantastic!
I don’t like Krispy Kremes too sweet for my liking, I am however a fan of just plain donuts from dunking donuts or a simple glazed, I’m easy to please.

54 Kath March 5, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Cool!!!!

55 Mandy A March 5, 2009 at 6:03 pm

I think we’re on the same wavelength here ๐Ÿ™‚ I had a VERY similar dinner last night… and had baked the donuts from Oh She Glows recipe page this morning ๐Ÿ™‚ I topped mine with dark chocolate PB, though ๐Ÿ™‚ I am LOVING the lemon curd! YUM

56 Emily March 5, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Ooooh! Those look great!
I’m not a huge donut fan, but I do like long johns (the ones filled with mystery cream, not the white stuff). ๐Ÿ™‚

57 Meredith March 5, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Yum! Donuts! At my undergrad we have a tradition where sometime in the fall the president will cancel classes for the day and we all go eat Krispy Kreme donuts in the dining hall, and then dress up in crazy costumes and and climb a nearby mountain and do skits and sing songs to each other. Gotta love college ๐Ÿ™‚

58 Marianne March 6, 2009 at 3:50 am

Mmmmm…donuts (said in a Homer voice).

My fave donut is either a honey crueller or sour cream glazed. And ya know, I’ve only had a Krispy Cream once, and thought it was highly overrated. Give me good ol’ Canandian Tim Horton’s anyday!

I so need to make those donuts.

59 Jenn (eating bender) March 6, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Ok, those donuts officially have me drooling. Is it time for lunch?! Seriously, I’m loving all of your combinations – the chocolate topping especially because it holds a place in my heart. My dad used to go to the grocery store every Sunday to pick up donuts for us. My favorite was either chocolate or chocolate with sprinkles!

I also have a soft spot for Krispy Kreme. We were SO excited when they came to our town. And the Dunkin Donuts donut holes in chocolate cake – can you tell that I know my donuts?!

60 Elina March 6, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Do these actually taste like donuts or is it just yummy baked dough? My favorite donut is the Boston Creme from Dunkin Donuts. Mmm, I want one now! ๐Ÿ˜‰

61 LESLIE March 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm