more ยป" />

Blisters, Waffles and a New Race

by Meghann on March 4, 2009

Stupid blisters.

Some of you may or may not remember the giant blister that exploded on my heel during my half on Sunday. It was one of those things that I mentally blocked from my mind during the race so I could finish the race in my goal time. Unfortunately, that has come back to bite me in the behind.

I have been wearing flip flops all week and doing a regiment of Neosporin and band aiding of the blister to help it heal. I think the lack of covering on my heel has given me a false sense of pain relief because boy could I feel the pain from my blister in my running shoe this morning.

I managed to suck it up and do a very slow 3 miles at 10 minute miles. I will just have to take it easy until the blister is healed and I can go on with my merry way of running. Serves me right now ignoring the problem during the race.. oh well.. in my  head it was still worth it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Day 3 of Cereal Free Week

DSCN2444

I had two multi-grain frozen waffles that I topped with Cashew Butter, Vanilla Chobani, Strawberries and a Plum.

DSCN2446

This was such a great combination, I love the extra nuttiness the small smear of cashew butter added to the over all dish. What I liked most of all is I basically took all the elements from my regular cereal routine and just replaced the cereal with waffles. ๐Ÿ™‚

Now, I promised a race announcement!

With the hype of Gasparilla still in the back of my mind, I have realized more and more that I want to keep pushing my body farther and farther and take on every running challenge out there.

I will be participating in my first Sprint Triathalon on March 14 and running my first marathon on May 31stโ€ฆ. so what else will I be adding to my plate?!?!?!โ€ฆ. A 15 MILE TRAIL RACE!!

Caitlin, Abbie and I have signed on to run the Croom Foolโ€™s Run 15 Mile Trail Race on April 11th!

This will be my first trail run and I am super excited!! I have heard they are much more laid back and it should be nice to run the majority of the run in the shade of the Florida Forrest trees.

Have you ever run a trail race before? What was your experience like?

1 VeggieGirl March 4, 2009 at 8:55 am

Boo to blisters ๐Ÿ™ But hooray for waffles and the upcoming race!!! So fun that you’ll be doing it with Caitlin and Abbie as well!!

2 snackface March 4, 2009 at 9:02 am

I’m eating sorta similar waffles right now! I’ve never done any kind of race, so sorry to be of no help! BUT I think it’s awesome youre doing that! I loved reading about this past weekend, so I’m pumped for any race you demolish!

3 Kelly March 4, 2009 at 9:06 am

I want to run this with you guys! I want to get up to half marathon distance and since there are none of those going on this seems perfect. I’m pretty sure I can do and want to register soon to comit myself to it.

4 Colleen March 4, 2009 at 9:16 am

If you’re prone to blisters in that spot (or any spot), put a big glob of vaseline on that area before you put your socks on (no bandaids required). I do this every time I run for my toes because they’re so prone to blistering…I haven’t had a blister in months! Plus it moisturizes! ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Jenny March 4, 2009 at 9:48 am

I was just about to give the same advice, put some vaseline on your heels or wheerever you get blisters! I love high heels and running, and both of those tend to give me blisters. A little vaseline solves that issue!

6 Quinn March 4, 2009 at 9:30 am

My good friend does trail races all the time! She is an ultra marathon runner and about every other week does 50 mile trail races. A few times a year she runs 100 miles. I know she normally comes into the office with slippers on the Monday after a big race because her feet are totally shot to hell!

7 fitforfree March 4, 2009 at 9:35 am

awesome!!
i’ve never done a trail race but trail running is my FAVORITE — it’s so engaging (looking out for rocks/tree roots/etc. in your path), scenic, and wonderful . . . I would do a few test runs at the course though to make sure your shoes are okay (you can buy “trail running” shoes that offer more ankle support, I think, but it may not be necessary).

good luck!

8 Mica March 4, 2009 at 9:54 am

Yikes, that blister sounds intense. Take care of yourself!

I’m excited about this next race!

9 coco March 4, 2009 at 9:56 am

I’m jealous of you being able to run a race like that. I know if I propose the challenge to myself, I’d do it eventually, but as I’m in a break with cardio work, I can’t. But it’s in my to-do list. ๐Ÿ˜€

10 Erin D. March 4, 2009 at 9:56 am

This is going to sound silly, but do you cut your waffles up before eating them, or just pick the whole thing up?? Just curious ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Meghann March 4, 2009 at 10:09 am

I eat them with a fork and knife ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Jenny March 4, 2009 at 9:57 am

ohhh!!!!!!!!!!! When is the Tampa stop? Soon right? I cannot even explain how excited I am. No words.

P.S. Your breakfast looks so fabulous. I’m definitely going out to buy waffles soon.

13 julezgulz March 4, 2009 at 10:00 am

running a trail race was hard on my ankles because the surface is really uneven, and my body has to work extra hard to stabilize it self. I would do a lot of proprioceptive work if I were you. And strengthen your knees too, depending on the terrain. Its way different than running on street/treadmill/track. But other than that, I think its a lot more fun than running on a street!!! have fun and be safe!

14 healthy ashley March 4, 2009 at 10:00 am

15 mile trail race?! I might do it too! Ahh!!

Good luck with those crazy blisters. Wear them like a badge of honor!

15 brandi March 4, 2009 at 10:02 am

i hope the blister goes away/heals up soon!

i haven’t done a trail run, but am planning on one in June!

16 dailygoods March 4, 2009 at 10:04 am

hoep your blister gets better! they are always a pain in the booty. I actually am thiking of signing up for a trail race in august, its pretty close to my house and soudns like a lot of fun! youre such a running inspiration meghann, i cant say it enough!

17 Sarah March 4, 2009 at 10:21 am

Hey Meghann –

Quick question for you – I’ve noticed you use Sweet Potato on sandwhiches/wraps a lot – what is the best way to prepare the sweet potato for use like this?

Thanks!

18 Hangry Pants March 4, 2009 at 10:26 am

The trail run sounds such fun!

Sorry about the blisters. ๐Ÿ™

19 brooke March 4, 2009 at 10:28 am

The 15 mile trail race sounds so fun!!

Hope your blister gets better soon…

20 Jenn (eating bender) March 4, 2009 at 10:30 am

Ouch! I’m sorry your blister is still bothering you. Those are such a pain – and I didn’t mean for that to be a pun when I first typed it!

On the plus side, those waffles look great. I’ve never tried cashew butter before, but seeing as cashews are my favorite nut, I should probably fix that.

Congrats on signing up for the trail race! That definitely sounds like fun ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Liz March 4, 2009 at 10:35 am

Oh lol. When I first saw on Caitlin’s blog that she would be doing the trail race with you and Abbie I thought she was talking about Abbie your dog and I was super confused!

22 Run Saraaah March 4, 2009 at 10:38 am

Congrats on signing up for the run ๐Ÿ˜€ I want to start trail running too, it seems so much more fun.

23 sarahdbelle March 4, 2009 at 10:46 am

How exciting! Your race sounds like fun.

I had blisters all last week from wearing a stupid pair of heels to a dance. It sounds weird, but it helped to put bandaids on them and double up on socks. If it makes you feel any better, my feet healed in about a week and a half ; )

Sarah

24 balancemycake March 4, 2009 at 10:48 am

I hear ya on the blisters…I wore new heels this weekend…bad idea. ๐Ÿ™

Those waffles look great! I’m always hesitant to try waffles with anything but syrup with I think I need to branch out because those looks amazing!

Congrats on your upcoming races….that’s crazy (in a good way!)!!

It seems so great that you and Caitlin have one another to motivate the other one! That definitely helps!

I’ve never run an official trail race, but when I run outside in nice weather, it’s always more fun to run on a trail through the woods than a road race…different terrain and much better scenery keeps things interesting!

๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Hump Day!
Michelle

25 Maggie March 4, 2009 at 10:55 am

OHhhh I remember! It looked awful!

Good luck with your new race!! You are so motivated ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Bec March 4, 2009 at 10:56 am

A triathlon and a trail race! I am so excited to read about all your training for these two ๐Ÿ™‚ Trail races are my favorite type of running race probably, I love running through the trees so much better then pounding the pavement.

27 Sarah March 4, 2009 at 11:01 am

ive never run one, they look fun though. probably a lot more work than running on paved roads!

28 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 4, 2009 at 11:10 am

HOW COOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I must’ve missed the Triathalon announcement, but that trail race sounds awesome!

29 Natalie March 4, 2009 at 11:13 am

Love the waffle toppings!

Such an awesome announcment to! ๐Ÿ™‚

30 Bridget March 4, 2009 at 11:17 am

I am so envious of your warm climate allowing you to do all of these!! I hope to get in at least ONE race when it warms up here!!!

I think I’d LOVE a trail run ๐Ÿ™‚

31 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 4, 2009 at 11:20 am

Love those waffles and yay for the new race! If only I could run…

32 Marissa March 4, 2009 at 11:23 am

Sorry about the blister. Sounds painful! ๐Ÿ™

33 Melissa (fitnessnyc) March 4, 2009 at 11:25 am

Wow you guys are amazing!

34 Danielle March 4, 2009 at 11:29 am

What an inspiration you are!
You girls are going to do awesome!

35 bobbi March 4, 2009 at 11:40 am

WTF! I want to live near you!!!! I would so be doing all these crazy runs with you two. I need to find some stuff like that out here after my marathon:)!

36 Melissa P. March 4, 2009 at 11:49 am

You should invest in mole skin. As a former professional ballet dancer, I have serious experience with blisters. Yikes! Apply it around the blister to create a cushion. There are also gel burn pads that you can tape onto your heal that work great. Whenever possible try not to put a bandaid on it. Exposure will make it heal faster.

37 Rose March 4, 2009 at 11:52 am

You ladies are crazy – but in a good way! I love your motivation and spirit for racing ๐Ÿ™‚

I used to do trail races in high school – but haven’t in a long time.

38 ttfn300 March 4, 2009 at 11:55 am

no trail races, but it sure sounds like fun! let me know if you have any q’s about your sprint tri ๐Ÿ™‚ and i’d recommend bandaid brand blister blocks (might be called advanced healing blister or something now). you can use them on open wounds, and they’re fabulous!!

39 Emily March 4, 2009 at 12:09 pm

sorry about your blisters! best wishes for speedy healing.
I used to get spenco second skin pads when I got horrible rips on my hands from bars when I was a gymnast. They seemed to help alleviate the pain of friction enough for me to workout in them.

40 lauren (athlEAT) March 4, 2009 at 12:45 pm

LOVE trail races. A little different – especially if you are on a single track and cant really pass people, so not always a place to set a PR. But enjoy it…they are challenging, but FUN.

41 Amy C. March 4, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Ouch! That blister must kill! I love trail races. I ran XC in high school so that’s how I started running races. I definitely prefer them to road races. The only thing to be aware of is that you’ll have to really pay attention as you run so you don’t trip. Some of the ground can be uneven but overall it’s a great experience. I use my regular running sneakers when I’m just training in the state park but when I race, I use lighter shoes called waffles. They’re similar to racing spikes but the points are rubber so you can run on harder surfaces with them as well. They give you a little more of a grip if you have to run over loose rocks and dirt. If you ever plan to do more trail races, you may want to invest in some. Nike makes a great pair.

42 kirsten March 4, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I was thinking you meant abbie your dog, and I was like wow 15 miles thats awesome for a dog to run that far, then I clicked on the link and realized you meant a person named abbie, lol. Good luck with that race, can’t wait to see the recaps of it next month!

43 Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Meghann, I am SO EXCITED you are doing a trail race. I only run trails now, and my body is sooo much happier. That pavement can be a killer! Oh, sorry about the blisters by the way. Ouch!

My advice is practice practice practice on trails if you can as it’s so different from running on the roads (lots of rocks and branches to watch out for). Also, do a little research on how technical your race trail is. I trained for a 50K here in Nashville, but the race course itself was much more difficult. I was so not prepared.

Best of luck Meghann. I hope you love it.

44 alessa March 4, 2009 at 1:22 pm

the trail race sounds amazing! i did a trail run as a turkey trot one year and it was so fun!

the sprint triathalon sounds really interesting too. have you been swimming at all? i hear that is the toughest part!

45 Ryan March 4, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Ugh I hate blisters! Hope those heal up quickly!

I’d love to do a trail run! I wish I was up there enough in mileage to do this one with you!

46 Sarah March 4, 2009 at 1:29 pm

ohhhh my goodness, you’re a machine!!! you have such amazing races planned. and so soon! go you!

blech, sorry about that blister. keep going easy on it!

47 Sharon March 4, 2009 at 1:33 pm

OH WOW, SUPER EXCITING!!!!!

48 Marianne March 4, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Good luck on your trail race ๐Ÿ™‚

And I know the feeling of having blisters like that. Last time I broke in new skates, I was also training alot, and basically skated with open blisters on the fronts of both my ankles for 3 good months. Didn’t matter if I used a bandaid or not, because it would just rub off in the skate. Hopefully you are able to heal yours faster than that, because let me tell you, it’s not fun!

49 Erin March 4, 2009 at 1:47 pm

You are insane! But the good kind – the motivating kind! Woo goo for another challenge!
Sorry about your heel ๐Ÿ™

50 jane March 4, 2009 at 2:17 pm

oh train runs are AWESOME! the time goes by so much faster cause the scenery is beautiful and interesting and you have to watch where you are going!
my one reccomendation is if you usually run with music, ditch it for the trail run. it sounds super corny, but it’s better to enjoy the sounds of nature and sometimes the awesome silence of nature than tunes. plus, music can be distracting and when trail running you really have to watch and be careful of roots and rocks and such.
and the best part is- it’s better on your body! hopefully recovering won’t last as long.
now go get yourself a band-aid, miss blister! ๐Ÿ™‚

51 Shelby March 4, 2009 at 2:24 pm

WAFFLES!!! Those look so good right now!

52 ksgoodeats March 4, 2009 at 2:32 pm

That waffle combo is AMAZING!! Good luck with your trail race – you guys will dominate!!

Have you ever heard of something called 2nd skin (I think that’s what it’s called). It’s supposed to help with blisters ๐Ÿ™‚

53 Matt March 4, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I’ve run a 15k trail race before. It was fun, but my body took a beating. I would do it again!

54 Allison K March 4, 2009 at 6:06 pm

We have a half marathon here, called the “race to robie creek” and it touts it’s self as the hardets half marathon in the world (or maybe it’s just the country) anyway, I think it could be included in things that would push one’s body.

55 Erin March 4, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Trail races are fun because the woods are so beautiful, but so much harder than road races. Plan on slowing down significantly and your legs will take much more of a beating than usual. I also recommend ditching music to help you focus on your footing – be careful you don’t turn an ankle with that marathon coming up!

56 Melissa S. March 4, 2009 at 8:36 pm

sorry about the blister! def make sure that in addition to having it bandaged, to air it out; that always helps mine heal faster and better. ๐Ÿ˜‰

57 Caroline March 5, 2009 at 12:46 am

What kind of waffles do you buy?