Recovery… Day 2

by Meghann on March 3, 2009

I realized this morning that another day of rest was in order for my legs. Though they feel 100 times better then yesterday, I would rather hold off another day of running then push them too hard and risk an injury. A smart runner is a safe runner.

So instead of running I woke up to Power Yoga #2 courtesy of yogadownload.com. I am really becoming obsessed with their 20 minute downloads. Its the perfect amount of time to stretch me out and get me ready in the morning.

For Day #2 of Cereal Free Week I went the egg Sandwich route.

DSCN2407

I had about 2 egg whites and 1 full egg that I cooked via the microwave. I then sandwiched that between an Arnolds Thin with a slather of Pumpkin Butter for a tinge of sweetness.

DSCN2412

Since I can not begin a morning with fruit I had a wonderful fruit salad on the side. In the fruit salad I had Grapes, Strawberries, Kiwi, Vanilla Chobani, and Lemon Curd.

DSCN2409

That extra bit of Lemon Curd really makes a difference with the fruit salad. it adds a light citrus touch that just makes all of the different flavors in each fruit pop.

I really enjoyed my breakfast, but I had to admit I was really craving my cereal this morning. I guess the body just wants what the body wants some times. 🙂

Yesterday I received an interesting comment from a reader, Emily, regarding Intuitive eating. She said…..

I have a question for you. Have you ever read Intuitive Eating? You seem to be living the principals of that book!! Do you consider yourself an intuitive eater? If so, how do you think you became that way? With work or do you think you’ve always been like that? I think if you’ve never actually counted calories or done a diet like South Beach, you’re likely to be truly an intuitive eater because the book says we are born intuitive eaters, but because we feel the need to diet and then succomb to those diet “rules,” that’s how we lose that ability to listen to our hunger signals and stop eating when we’re full. I’d be very interested to hear any thoughts you have on this issue!

To which my response was….

Interesting comment Emily. I have heard of that book, but never read it. I am honestly really bad at reading books with concepts like that, I am much better at reading books that have plots with happy endings…lol

I do try to eat intuitively and not restrict myself in any way and that’s where I found success with weight loss and maintaining. I have always been good at listening to my body and never really much of a snacker, the problem with my past was that I ate junk. Now I eat food that includes veggies and isn’t fried or comes from a drive through window. :) I don’t believe in diet rules because they just don’t seem like much fun to me. If we put all these restrictions on our food, then we’re bound to drive ourselves crazy and will either starve ourselves into a slow metabolism or start thinking just because something says Fat Free or Diet that its good for you when its not. I guess it helps that I have never been in a ‘diet’ in my life. Maybe that’s the secret?

I thought this topic would make for interesting comment discussion. Do you consider yourself an intuitive eat?.. or are you a eater who has to obey a set of rules to stay on track? I would love to know everyones thoughts.

1 Betsy March 3, 2009 at 9:05 am

I try to be as intuitive as possible, and I usually do a pretty good job… but I really need to work on not eating when I’m bored or because there’s food in front of me.

2 verbalriot March 3, 2009 at 9:10 am

Love the breakfast! I think you’ve inspired me to have eggs this morning too!

I try to be an intuitive eater as much as possible. A lot of bloggers tend to use the concept but sometimes, time constraints control when I have my meals (or I’ll go starving for hours!) so it’s difficult.

I think it’s easiest for me in the summer when I don’t have a ton of work to do and actually can listen to my mind and body closer…but it takes a lot of practice!

3 Mica March 3, 2009 at 9:12 am

I’m a pretty unintuitive eater, which is not surprising because I’m not good at reading my body’s signals.

That said, reading food blogs (like yours!) has helped a lot with rearranging my food outlook. so THANKS!

4 Amanda March 3, 2009 at 9:16 am

Unfortunately, I could use some work on the whole intuitive eating thing. I do eat healthy, whole foods 95% of the time, but I have difficulty stopping when I am full! I often want something sweet after dinner and will eat cereal, fruit, and yogurt until I am STUFFED. I have recently started considering the whole “few squares of dark chocolate” or “a few cookies” thing after dinner to see if I will be satisfied with that. I think I’m just afraid that I will know that there are more cookies/chocolate in my house and keep eating!!

5 Beadie March 3, 2009 at 9:21 am

I am working on learning to eat intuitively. After battling with years of yo yo dieting and binge eating disorder, it takes alot of time and effort to get to a place of trusting my body. I hope to one day be there and really look up to those of you who seem to be so in tune with your body.

6 Victoria March 3, 2009 at 9:23 am

I’d like to think I’m an intuitive eater. I’m usually good about eating when I’m hungry, and stopping when I’m full, unless of course it’s something so delicious that I cannot stop even though I’m full. That happens occasionally. 😉

7 Meg March 3, 2009 at 9:27 am

I am down the middle with the intuitive eating and set rules…50/50.

Love your fruit salad!

8 Goldie March 3, 2009 at 9:28 am

I’m usually quite good but i’m trying to break restrictive habits (eating less in the day and then a normal meal in the evenings) so sometimes I can have a bad day and slip up. For example if I go running in the evening then it’s a guarantee that i’ll be ravenous the following day at work so if i don’t accommodate that hunger or if i don’t bring enouhg food to work then it’ll send me in to uncontrolled eating later (bigger portions etc). So i try to keep it on a constant as best i can to avoid this.

9 Debbie March 3, 2009 at 9:52 am

Hey Meghann!! I would consider myself an Intuitive Eater. I eat only when I’m hungry, and stop when I’m full. I eat what I’m craving, I don’t restrict anything….if I want a piece of cake, I eat it….and enjoy every minute of it. I just don’t eat the whole cake in an afternoon:)

I have read the book Intuitive Eating and I agree with the concept, but didn’t care for the book. I feel it is more geered toward people with an ED or those who are hung up in the diet mentality, which thankfully, I never have been. I found it really boring and difficult to get through. It did however, make me more conscious about how I eat which I find helpful on a daily basis:)

10 Bec March 3, 2009 at 9:55 am

I am definitely and intuitive eater, usual if I plan to eat something I’ll end up changing my mind and eating something else!

11 VeggieGirl March 3, 2009 at 10:00 am

Kudos for taking another rest day – enjoy!!

I have to “eat by the clock,” since I rarely have an appetite and need to make sure that I consume enough.

12 Sarah March 3, 2009 at 10:06 am

you’re doing so well with your breakfast adventures!!

i think i’m more of an intuitive eater now … but it took weight watchers to get me there!! once i learned how to eat and prepare foods that would satisfy me, fill me up, and taste delicious (within a set structure), i was able to leave the structure behind and run with the intuition 🙂

13 sarahdbelle March 3, 2009 at 10:41 am

Just read about your weekend. Congratulations! You did such an amazing job!!!
Sarah

14 peanutbutterandjuli March 3, 2009 at 11:00 am

I’m trying to be an intuitive eater. it’s a daily challenge- I tend to like eating rules, but I find it backfires on me! So I’m trying to listen to my body.

15 brandi March 3, 2009 at 11:10 am

nice breakfast! i love eggs.

this is something I’m struggling with lately, actually. I would love to just be an intuitive eater, and most days I think I am. But, I don’t know for sure because I am still doing WW. I’m doing the program that only has me count pts for the more “treat-ish” things, but it’s still relying on something other than myself.

16 fitforfree March 3, 2009 at 11:18 am

I am slowly becoming an intuitive eater, but it took a long period (years!) of measuring out my food and journaling. At this point I think I know what a proper portion looks like and try to incorporate fruits/veggies to keep the calorie count of my meals lower. It’s SUCH a relief to be becoming intuitive!

17 Julie March 3, 2009 at 11:26 am

Haha I definitely have to go by eating rules or my intuitions would tell me to eat every minute of the day! So funny you’re trying to stay off cereal…the egg sang looked so good though 🙂 Stay strong only 5 days left haha

18 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 3, 2009 at 11:28 am

I’m working on eating intuitively, but my body signals are so “off” that I sometimes have to eat by the clock and leave it at that.

19 Yasmin March 3, 2009 at 11:47 am

Unfortunately, I have a routine where I eat at certain times. This it the obsessive part of my eating disorder. I time my meals and plan around them which seriously effects my social and family life. Any suggestions on how to overcome this?

20 Lyss March 3, 2009 at 11:52 am

Meghann, it’s official, I’m totally jealous that you ate your breakfast OUTSIDE this morning! Um, it’s negative 5 degrees here. ENJOY IT GIRL!

Also, belated but – congrats on an ass-kicking weekend! 🙂

And last, but not least, I actually just started reading Intuitive Eating – I feel like it’s BLEEDING all over the blogosphere – but I would say that I have not yet mastered the concept. I’m working on it!

21 trustingmyintuition March 3, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I try to be eat intuitively as best I can, hence the title of my blog. Sometimes it’s hard with such a tight schedule, though and I’m forced to eat when I normally wouldn’t or not be able to eat when I’m starving!!! When my schedule is more relaxed I would say definitely!

22 bobbi March 3, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I need to read this book! I am glad that you are resting your legs, and I AM TOO becoming a YOGADOWNLOAD obsessed…lol…Love the sammy by the way!

23 tami March 3, 2009 at 12:03 pm

i agree with teh addiction to yogadownloads, especially with the code from Tina’s blog. I did the 8 minute abs last night! it was great. i am going to get the rest of the ab sessions.

24 Erica March 3, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Breakfast looks fabulous! I would just want a giant bowl of that fruit salad 😉

Some days I am really good at listening to my body, other days I can just graze for no reason. I flip flop 😉

25 ksgoodeats March 3, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Fabulous breakfast!! I try to be an intuitive eater – I hate eating when I’m not hungry but I know I have to because I’ll be busy (i.e. today!) but that’s part of the deal!

26 kaneil March 3, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I’ve always been more of a diet person, but they never work for me! 🙂 Hence the need for intuitive eating. I am constantly looking for that balance.

Great post, thanks for raising the question!

Kaneil, balanceisbest

27 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 3, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I want to try lemon curd! Sounds like a fab addition to breakfast…or scones…mmmm.

I hate the idea of a diet or program in general – that to me equals downfall. Instead, I’ve just taken the time to learn how to eat well and exercise, which by definition must include things like pizza and ice cream (my kryptonite). In the process, I’ve lost about 17 lbs. Knowledge is power! So is trial and error. 🙂

28 Natalie March 3, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I try to eat as intuitivly as possible, but with a crazy college sceduale that varies from day to day,it’s harder than it seems!

I hate having to eat when I’m not hungry, because I’ll be in class for the rest of the day, but when its up to me I go with what my body wants. 🙂

29 biz319 March 3, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Hooray for the egg sandwich! You’ll soon be addicted!

I tend to eat just three meals a day – since each one is around 500 calories, I don’t ever feel the need to snack anymore. It helps regulate my blood sugar when I eat this way too! 😀

30 alessa March 3, 2009 at 12:43 pm

i am not always the best at intuitive eating, but i definitely try. some days im and incredibly picky and eat all of the same foods over and over again.. other days im adventurous. who knows!!

i love egg sandwiches, yum. but i never really am fond of mixing savory and sweet.. just not my thing i guess! 🙂

31 Emily March 3, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I’m a fairly intuitive eater…with boundaries. There are things I will not eat or just choose not to eat regularly, but I try to listen to my body and eat when I’m really hungry.

32 kate March 3, 2009 at 1:29 pm

hey meghann. this is not a comment about your post — though i do love your blog — but rather an email worthy comment from a reader who could not find your email.

i’m doing a tnt race in seattle at the end of june, and i am in serious need of some fundraising help! i know you did the blog bakesale, which seemed to work great, but i don’t have a blog. any other ideas?

thanks! and way to run this weekend! you are a powerhouse, girl!

33 lauren (athlEAT) March 3, 2009 at 1:36 pm

i think i am pretty intuitive because i have never been on a diet either and tend to eat what I am in the mood for. I strive to be healthy, so my unhealthy choices are not as often and that is the key for me. Consistency of healthy, intuitive choices! Diet restrictions dont work for me because when someone tells me I cant have something – i want it more.

34 daisy March 3, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Ok Meghan you totally don’t have to answer this but I have noticed you have been spending some time with Derek. Is Derek just a friend? cause he is really cute! and so are you of course!

35 Meghann March 3, 2009 at 1:56 pm

haha… I think Derek is cute too. 😉 We’re slowly working on becoming more then friends and I will just leave it at that.

36 Ryan March 3, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I’d say I’m pretty intuitive, but I have to remind myself what I’ve already eaten for the day in order to eat a good balance of foods. Along those lines, I still try to incorporate what I’m in the mood for no matter what. Otherwise, what’s the point of eating it? I never really restricted anything unless it’s trans fat, fried, or overall just not worth consumption.

37 Danielle March 3, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I’m working on it, I don’t crave unhealthy foods most of the time, but sometimes I don’t get enough veggies or fruits in, I need to work on that for sure.

38 Sarah March 3, 2009 at 5:04 pm

i’m not an intuitive eater at all but I really want to be! I’m constantly working on it but it’s hard. I’ve been so tied to calorie counting and eating at certain times for so long that I really lost touch of my body’s signals. I used to plan my entire week in advance and pretty much wouldn’t stray from my plan but now I am MUCH more flexible and don’t meal-plan or count calories anymore. I’m still pretty stuck on my eating schedule though which I’m really trying to work on. You’re definitely a great inspiration for me!

39 NAOmni March 3, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I am not very intuitive. In fact, we learned in one of my nutrition classes that although we are all born with the ability to intuitive eat, society kicks it out of most of us at a very young age.

I am always impressed when I come along a true intuitive eater…my boyfriend is one and I’m always worried my habits will push it out of him.

NAOmni

40 redheadyellowdog March 3, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I’d like to call myself an intuitive eater in progress! I’m an intuitive eater if my time is structured but if I’m just hanging around the apartment i always want to be eating. Definitely something I’m working on!

that egg sandwich looks delish! I love being able to cook eggs in the microwave! a great revelation.

41 Dori March 3, 2009 at 8:00 pm

I am not at all intuitive and I really want to be and try to be. It’s very hard for me. I read your blog and get so impressed with how you give your body what it wants and not more.

I also put some pumpkin butter with my eggs today! It adds such a fantastic sweetness!

42 Marianne March 4, 2009 at 12:12 am

I honestly don’t know if I’m an intuitive eater or not. I guess in a sense, I am, because I don’t exclude anything from my diet that I like to eat. I don’t eat all the “less nutritious” stuff that often, but I also don’t put limitations on being able to consume it. But I think where I might fail as an intuitive eater is stopping eating when I’m full and not when the plate is clean. This usually happens when I’m out to eat, because “I’m paying good money for that food, I’m damn well going to get my money’s worth”. I just wish restaurants would serve better portion sizes, instead of having people waste all that food.

I would like to read the book Intuitive Eating to see what sort of concepts are in there. It’s on my “to buy” list!