Flying By

by Meghann on March 2, 2009

Wow, is it really 3:00? This day is going by quicker then I realized!

I guess that’s what happens when you have a nice pile of work to weed through on your desk to keep you entertained. πŸ™‚

While weeding through the work I sampled this Carman’s Original Fruit-Free Museli Bar I received in my Gasparilla goodie bag this weekend.

CIMG5883

The bar says it comes from Australia and is something I never heard of. It was pretty good though, not sweet all. I liked it.

For Lunch I had some Datz Deli Leftovers.

DSCN2376

I spruced up the other half of my Lettuce Entertain You Salad by adding some Cucumber and Carrot.

DSCN2379

On the side I had some left over Potato Latkes and Cranberry Walnut MultiGrain Muffin.

DSCN2377

Not sure why none of my photos were in focus? I hate it when they look fine on the camera but when you blow them up on the computer they’re fuzzy. πŸ™

Reflections

A few commenters have been asking the question about whether the races I completed this weekend affected my feelings towards registering for the San Diego Rock n’ Roll Marathon on May 31st.

I’ll admit it, when I finished that half yesterday the first thing that flashed in my mind was the thought that I would only be at the half way mark for my future marathon and that thought scared the hell out of me.

But the more I think about it and the more the accomplishments of the weekend sink in, the more I realize I am ready more then ever to compete in this marathon. I say bring it on! If I can run 3 races this weekend and PR two of them at a 9 minute mile pace, then I can do anything!!

I plan to train to complete the marathon just under 10 minute miles with a goal of completing at 4:30 and I have more faith in myself more then ever that I can do it. I am so HAPPY I will be running the marathon in May and can not wait to officially call myself a marathoner!! :)

1 hopiek March 2, 2009 at 3:34 pm

such a rockstar! good for you πŸ™‚ have a great monday!

eatnrun.wordpress.com

2 Sharon March 2, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Oh wow, everything looks great – I love the muffin!

3 Natalie March 2, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Love the name of that salad!

Yes, you can do anything! Bring on the marathon! πŸ™‚

4 Matt March 2, 2009 at 3:49 pm

You’ll own that marathon! Where did you get those muffins? They look amazing.

5 Meghann March 2, 2009 at 3:59 pm

They’re from Publix πŸ™‚

6 Marissa March 2, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Yummy lunch! You’ll totally be awesome in the marathon!

7 brandi March 2, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I’m glad to hear you’re still excited about the marathon! You’ll do great!

8 kaneil March 2, 2009 at 4:02 pm

You are so hard core! I love it! Keep on truckin!

Kaneil, balanceisbest

9 runeatrepeat March 2, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I was going to ask about the muffins too πŸ™‚ Too bad there are no Publix out here!

10 alessa March 2, 2009 at 4:11 pm

i totally wanted to be able to participate in the race in san diego, but not quite ready for a full marathon! you will be awesome, i can’t wait to hear all about it.

11 Sarah March 2, 2009 at 4:12 pm

you can totally do the may marathon. you basically ran one this weekend already!

love your day of leftovers! you and caitlin are food twins today with that muesli bar …

12 Hallie March 2, 2009 at 4:16 pm

You know you’ll rock that marathon! (Oh man, I typed that and then realized the utter cheeseball factor since it’s the Rock and Roll Marathon)

The main thing I hear people say about running/completing marathons is that it’s as mental as it is physical. Maybe more. I haven’t been able to conquer the mental part of my running yet, but it seems like you totally have and so the rest is your training and dedication, and obv you’re on that too! I’m quite impressed by you πŸ™‚

13 Shelby March 2, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Mmm, I want that muffin!

14 Emily March 2, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Congratulations on all of the awesome running this weekend! I’m secretly jealous because I used to 1/2’s but had to drop out of the last one I did on Thanksgiving at mile 4 because of awful knee pain and have been nervous about running ever since.

Anyway, I have a question for you. Have you ever read Intuitive Eating? You seem to be living the principals of that book!! Do you consider yourself an intuitive eater? If so, how do you think you became that way? With work or do you think you’ve always been like that? I think if you’ve never actually counted calories or done a diet like South Beach, you’re likely to be truly an intuitive eater because the book says we are born intuitive eaters, but because we feel the need to diet and then succomb to those diet “rules,” that’s how we lose that ability to listen to our hunger signals and stop eating when we’re full. I’d be very interested to hear any thoughts you have on this issue!

15 Meghann March 2, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Interesting comment Emily. I have heard of that book, but never read it. I am honestly really bad at reading books with concepts like that, I am muh better at reading books that have plots with happy endings…lol

I do try to eat intuitively and not restrict myself in any way and that’s where I found success with weight loss and maintaining. I have always been good at listening to my body and never really much of a snacker, the problem with my past was that I ate junk. Now I eat food that includes veggies and isn’t fried or comes from a drive through window. πŸ™‚ I don’t believe in diet rules becuase they just don’t seem like much fun to me. If we put all these restrictions on our food, then we’re bound to drive ourselves crazy adn will eaither starve ourselves into a slow metabolism or start thinking jsut becuase something says Fat Free or Diet that its good for you when its not. I guess it helps that I have never been in a ‘diet’ in my life. Maybe that’s the secret?

16 Emily March 2, 2009 at 6:26 pm

I swear you could’ve written the book! The book says exactly what you said about starving ourselves into a slow metabolism and discusses fat free and diet food myths as well. I think it’s great you’ve never been on a diet. You are definitely at an advantage!! I’m trying to forget any “diet rules” I’ve taught myself like eating only at certain times, only a certain amount of calories, etc. You’re an awesome role model for intuitive eating. Thank you for the response!

17 Rae March 2, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Hi Meghann!!

Congrats on your awesome performance this weekend! I have no doubt that youre gonna smoke this marathon!

One word of advice (not that I am a seasoned marathoner, Ive only done one!!) I used to think the marathon was divided into two halves, 13.1 and 13.1. Well it is divided, but its more like 20 and 6.2. I paced GREAT for the first 20, then lost it. I still finished respectably, but it hurt really badly. If you have time, I would really recommend throwing 1 or 2 21-22 milers in your training so you can train pas the “wall”….Ive heard alot of people agree with this theory, as well.

Just a thought! You rock my socks off!!

18 healthy ashley March 2, 2009 at 4:45 pm

You totally can run that marathon!!

I love what you did with your salad. I’ve to admit it was a little weird logging onto your site already knowing what you were eating for lunch! πŸ™‚

19 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 2, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Seriously where is the time going?

You should be so proud of yourself for all of your prorgress with running. It’s wonderful!

20 luckytastebuds March 2, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Hi Meghann!! I’m just looking through all your posts of the races this weekend and I’m SO darn amazed, impressed, overwhelmed…at a loss of words really for how AWESOME a role model you are!!! I’ve never ever been a runner but those pictures, bloody blisters, pushing through the finish line, those many many miles…it gave me goosebumps looking at the pictures. I really would love to know how you got started on running and if you can offer any advice to a VERY intimidated newbie (who has hardly any stamina right now) but would love to follow in your footsteps!!? Thank you soo soo much and hope you are taking great care of yourself to recover from all those races! πŸ™‚

21 ksgoodeats March 2, 2009 at 5:26 pm

You are a machine, Meghann! You can do it πŸ™‚

I’ve seen those bars at WFs and wondered if they were worth buying or not. Thanks for the review!

22 tami March 2, 2009 at 5:27 pm

i wish we could be running partners! i plan to a run a marathon next Spring, and I felt the same way you did after my half a few weeks ago, 13 MORE miles…i will just be in it to finish. but i know you can do it. your running really seems to have improved lately.

23 joyful March 2, 2009 at 5:33 pm

That is so exciting that you will be running a marathon in May! I ran a half two years ago but don’t think I’d ever attempt a marathon – I am not a hard core runner like you! You go girl!

24 angelcubbie March 2, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Hey Meghann! Just wanted to tell you that you can definitely do the RNR! I ran it last year and I really think running a marathon is 90% mental, 10% training. I injured myself two weeks before the marathon last year and ran it anyway (bit stubborn and stupid of me I know, us stubborn runners haha) and I really think the only reason i was able to finish the 26.2 miles while injured was due to the mental aspect. I just told myself failure was not an option. Also, the crowd really cheers you on and that pushes you too. It’s an amazing feeling of accomplishment.

25 NAOmni March 2, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Man! You’ve had so much happen since I stopped by two days ago! Great job with everything, great photos, all that and keep up the good work!

NAOmni

26 Emily March 2, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I think it’s great that you are excited for the marathon. I think you proved by your awesome races this weekend that you can totally handle it!

27 Joleen March 2, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Given your times this weekend, I think you can count on finishing the marathon well ahead of that goal! And at least in my experience, it doesn’t even sink in that you’re running until Mile 8 or so – the marathon should be no problem for you mentally or physically! You’re extremely well prepared.

28 Meg March 2, 2009 at 7:27 pm

You are definitely ready for the marathon! You rock!

29 Amanda March 2, 2009 at 7:34 pm

I am thinking about running that marathon in San Diego (I only live 3 hours away.) But still debating! Maybe I’ll see you there!

30 trustingmyintuition March 2, 2009 at 7:35 pm

yay! We;ll both be running our first marathon on May!!! Cannot wait! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

31 Melissa S. March 2, 2009 at 8:38 pm

great mentality for the marathon!!! i think that sounds like a good gaol time wise and pace. brilliant!

32 foodsthatfit March 2, 2009 at 9:04 pm

You will do great in your upcoming marathon! Honestly after this weekend you are more than prepared! Just remember to have fun and take it easy the first half and burn out in the beginning!

33 RuntoFinish March 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm

There are a whole group of us running that marathon, so that alone should make it great! I can’t wait for the bloggie meet up there!