My Road ID

by Meghann on February 27, 2009

One of my favorite birthday gifts this month has been a Road ID Gift Card Caitlin had given me. Caitlin told me she loves giving practical gifts and along with the gift card I got a Bike Lock and some Clif Block Shots. Love you Caitlin!

CIMG5569

As we all know I am an early morning runner, so I always like to stress the importance of safety while running. In the wee morning hours my shoes have a reflective strip so I can be seen by incoming traffic, I always wear white or light clothing, I run with pepper spray, and my boss, co-workers, & family know I run in the morning so if I don’t show up for work they know something is wrong.

The Road ID to me, is just another precaution I needed to take. This way if I were unconscious or unable to recall any of my information they would know who to call to get all of the answers.

CIMG5579

I have a Penicillin Allergy that also needed to be documented. My worst fear is to be in an emergency situation where I am given a dose of penicillin, only to have a reaction and add more stress to the situation.

I thought long and hard to think of an inspiration quote to add to the bottom to keep me motivated, but the only thing that came to my mind was “I Run So I Can Eat What I Want” Which is true enough and the perfect motivation for me. 🙂

I have been running with the Road ID for about a week now and just feel safer with it on my foot. If you run alone, I would highly advise you ordering one of these bad boys yourself, you just never know when the situation will arise where you are unable to recall any of this information.

Now after I have given you my safety message of the day on running, I’m sad to say I did not run this morning. I decided resting before my races this weekend was a better option. Instead I opted for some Hip Opening Flow Yoga and now feel stretched and pumped for the weekend!

This morning I went back to good ole cereal for breakfast.

CIMG5712

I just had to have a bowl. I have decided to make next week Cereal Free Week, so this is my last bowl before I take the plunge! I have some great ideas though and can’t wait to explore.

CIMG5709

In my bowl this morning I had 1/2 cup Kashi H2H, 1/2 cup Kashi Honey Sunshine, 1/4 cup Cinnamon Crunch Granola, Blueberries, Strawberries and Vanilla Non-Fat Yogurt.

While I’m brainstorming fun breakfast ideas, does anyone have any good suggestions?

1 Kate February 27, 2009 at 9:07 am

I always go for looking for a new cereal that I can do tons of different combos with! Maybe a good cocoa kind for some chocolate in the morning!

2 VeggieGirl February 27, 2009 at 9:18 am

Wonderful ID!!

PB PUFFINS FOR BREAKFAST!!!!! With a broken-up Larabar or some other bar in it 🙂

3 foodsthatfit February 27, 2009 at 9:19 am

I think the Road ID is a great idea! My favorite quick breakfast is instant oats with some greek yogurt on top and peanut butter! The combo of fat, protein and carbs really keeps me full!

4 EL February 27, 2009 at 9:27 am

I am allergic to penicillin too! My doctor advised me to get a medic alert bracelet. It basically is like the Road ID except I wear it all the time. My go to breakfast is a ww english muffin with almond butter and apple butter. Good luck this weekend!

5 Justy2003 February 27, 2009 at 9:31 am

I have the same Road ID! The blue one that goes on the shoe! Got mine for Christmas and I love it too! Especially since it’s usually dark when I start and finish my runs most of the time!

6 Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 27, 2009 at 9:32 am

My absolute favorite new breakfast is oat bran made with milk with strawberries, cinnamon and Dark Chocolate Dreams PB!!!

7 Mel February 27, 2009 at 9:33 am

I love eggs on english muffins or toast! Or PB toast with strawberries would be good too!

8 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 27, 2009 at 9:33 am

Love the Road ID. Glad you are resting before your race this weekend! You are gonna do great!

9 Missy (Missy Maintains) February 27, 2009 at 9:36 am

Mushroom, Spinach, Goat Cheese Omelet on Arnold’s Sandwich Thin with pumpkin butter always makes me happy!

10 Kimberly February 27, 2009 at 9:36 am

My all-time favorite breakfast is a toasted Ezekiel English muffin with tahini, honey, and cinnamon, and fruit on the side. In fact, I’m eating it right now! 😀

Good luck this weekend!! You’re going to rock it.

11 Leah February 27, 2009 at 9:39 am

You are so great about being safe! I think its a good idea that you took today off. You’ve got a huge weekend coming up!
French toast is a fav breakfast of mine. I plan on making it tomorrow 🙂

12 Kirsten February 27, 2009 at 9:42 am

Hi Meghann! I was just wondering how many calories you try to consume on a long run day, such as a 12 mile training day. I am started to train for my 1/2 and am a little lost on the nutrition part. Do you eat past fullness so you make sure you get all the calories or what is your advice? Thanks!

13 caitlin February 27, 2009 at 10:34 am

kirsten – i know you asked meghann, but i’m 5 ft 4 and 119 lbs, and i burn about 80 – 100 calories per mile. 🙂

14 Megan February 27, 2009 at 9:46 am

I have to sing the praises of Ezekiel english muffins too! I love their cinnamon raisin english muffin toasted, 1/2 with almond butter and sliced banana and the other with strawberry jam + coffee and OJ = heaven! It’s really energizing too!

15 jenngirl February 27, 2009 at 9:47 am

I ordered my RoadID yesterday, and I definitely made my penicillin allergy known too!! I can’t wait to get mine! 🙂

16 kaneil February 27, 2009 at 9:53 am

I love berry smoothies with ff yogurt and egg whites (on the side) for more protein. Yummy!

Great safety message – I may need to order one soon. I love the quote even more!

Kaneil, balanceisbest

17 Sharon February 27, 2009 at 9:57 am

Road ID is awesome, and I definitely love your breakfast!

18 Shelby February 27, 2009 at 10:00 am

I like waffle sandwiches for breakfast! Take 2 toasted waffles, spread with PB and jelly/fruit butter/ sliced fresh fruit, top with a little granola and smush together. Yum.

19 Amanda February 27, 2009 at 10:03 am

I just saw Sarah from LovINmytummy make some awesome looking bread pudding. It was for dessert, but could be an awesome breakfast! I also always want to have smoothies for breakfast, but think I’d have to have something to eat with it bc the lack of chew would throw me off!

I also have a road ID (pink bracelet) and think that it is a wonderful idea!

20 carolinebee February 27, 2009 at 10:23 am

I don’t know if you’re a big PB person?? But i love the wafflewich with PB, and maybe strawberries cuz you don’t do banana right?? Good luck this weekend :D!

21 brandi February 27, 2009 at 10:25 am

Good idea resting before the races – you and Caitlin are going to do great!

Breakfast ideas:
pb/fruit sandwiches with bread, waffles, pancakes, etc

eggs/omelettes

smoothies

leftovers 🙂

22 Leanne February 27, 2009 at 10:31 am

Seems like you crave grains in the AM just like me, so maybe you would like overnight oats? I was a little apprehensive to try them at first because I thought they would be mushy… But they turned out great!

23 caitlin February 27, 2009 at 10:34 am

I AM SO EXCITED WOOP WOOP WOOP

and practical gifts RULE

who doesnt love shot bloks for their birthday!

24 Erin February 27, 2009 at 10:38 am

Good luck without cereal! I don’t think I could handle an oats free week.
I do love smoothies for breakfast!

25 Yasmin February 27, 2009 at 10:40 am

Fave breakfast is overnight oatmeal with 2 chopped dried figs, pumpkin, diced apple, Greek yogurt, coconut, and maple syrup! Try it and let me know what you think!

26 Rose February 27, 2009 at 10:40 am

Very nice ID! I like the quote 🙂

My go-to is oatmeal (of course), but I’ve been mixing it up with smoothies lately. And don’t forgot about things like eggs or egg sandwiches – great on protein.

27 ellie February 27, 2009 at 10:42 am

great breakfast ideas here 🙂

some of my favorites:
– kath’s baked oatmeal
– homemade carrot raisin muffins crumbled into yogurt
– granola, cottage cheese and banana parfaits
– mushroom + goats cheese egg white omelettes w/ toast
– baked beans on toast (a British thing- NOT the typical American baked beans!)

28 Sara February 27, 2009 at 10:52 am

I love how safe you are when you run! Get tips for all of us. 🙂

29 verbalriot February 27, 2009 at 10:53 am

Yes for the road ID, what a great present!

I would definitely suggest yogurt & bars combinations, cottage cheese with fruit, omlettes, french toast or waffles for a bfast switch up.

Also, check out this great article about whole-grain breakfasts:

Have a good day!

30 Susan February 27, 2009 at 10:59 am

Go simple… eggs, toast, fruit. You’ve got your fat, protein, grains and some fruity goodness. Yum!

31 Mica February 27, 2009 at 11:11 am

Haha, Meghann–No joke, I totally thought you had started a cereal-free week already! That cereal looked like bits of ground beef to me, and I was momentarily SO confused!

Yay for the RoadID. What a thoughtful and awesome present!

Good luck this weekend!

32 Julie February 27, 2009 at 11:17 am

Haha how funny! I used to be insanely addicted to cereal so I understand how you’re going to try and go cereal free for a week. I think I’ve kind of replaced my cereal obsession with oats in the morning but I’m thinking cereal will make another appearance once summer comes around. Love the road ID 🙂 What time do you usually run in the morning?

33 Emily February 27, 2009 at 11:20 am

I should really invest in a road ID! I like that you can wear it attached to your shoe.

Have a great weekend!

34 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 27, 2009 at 11:22 am

So hard to think of my favorite b’fasts w/o cereal! This came out quite well, though: http://www.soapandchocolate.com/2009/02/eatox.html
And of course there’s always ye olde omelette…

Happy Friday!

35 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 27, 2009 at 11:22 am

And of course there’s always ye olde omelette…

Happy Friday!

36 bobbi February 27, 2009 at 11:26 am

french toast casserole, egg burritos, egg sammies, smoothies with protein, egg pizza? lol….Your intervew is up girly. go check it out http://nhershoes.blogspot.com/2009/02/her-february-foodie-fridge-meghann.html

37 Becca A February 27, 2009 at 11:33 am

I really need to invest in a RoadID. I’m usually an early morning runner as well and soon will not have my ‘rents knowing my route and time if something were to happen to me.

38 raspberryrunner February 27, 2009 at 11:34 am

I was in a cereal every morning rut, but then i started blogging and got addicted oatmeal! oats made with cinnamon, banana, half water and half milk, and pecans is my favorite breakfast!

Other ideas:
-An avocado and egg sandwich
-Blueberry pancakes with almond butter
-Eggs scrambled with veggies and cheese

Can’t wait to see how your week goes!

39 Victoria February 27, 2009 at 11:40 am
40 Julie February 27, 2009 at 11:48 am

egg sandwichs, pb on toast/english muffin, waffles, cottage cheese on an english muffin, whole wheat bagels, or yogurt and granola (granola isn’t “cereal” right??)

41 Andrea [bella eats] February 27, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Haha…your mantra is my mantra! I can’t tell you how many times over the years I’ve told people the reason I run is so that I can eat whatever I bake…I guess great minds (and cousins!!!) think alike!

Good for you getting a Road I.D.! I’ve wanted one for ages, but haven’t gotten around to ordering one. This month I will, maybe as a little b-day present to myself. 🙂

Have fun and GOOD LUCK this weekend!!!

42 peanutbutterandjuli February 27, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Gina’s breakfast cookie! Or oatbran topped with PB 🙂 Yum…

Also, I love simple scrambled eggs on toast with jelly. Delicious.

I’m impressed with giving up cereal for a week! I eat it every day, even if it means it’s a part of lunch or dinner 🙂

Good luck in your races!

43 Erin February 27, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Hmm, I’m kinda in a breakfast rut – but I love cereal. I know you do too though!
What about a sando? Those are kinda fun.
Nice Road ID! Safety first baby!

44 Allison February 27, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Mine should be here next week! I can’t wait! My hubby has a penicillin allergy and I always worry about something happening to him while I’m not around to tell people that!

45 Heather Eats Almond Butter February 27, 2009 at 2:56 pm
46 Heather Eats Almond Butter February 27, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I just posted all my favorite breakfast posts, and it disappeared. Check your Spam queue. Silly Wordpress. 🙁

47 Matt February 27, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Bagels, oatmeal, eggs, toast, waffles, so many options!

48 Meredith February 27, 2009 at 7:15 pm

I’m glad you’re being safe!!! Unfortunately I don’t think I have any super creative breakfast ideas. Usually I stick to cold cereal, oatmeal, or yogurt with fruit, but the other day I had waffles with pbj and a banana 🙂

49 Sarah February 28, 2009 at 9:44 am

I love egg sandwiches – ww bread, egg whites, & tomato with some salt & pepper.

{ 1 trackback }