That’s Not Very Nice Starbucks

by Meghann on February 26, 2009

Good morning Lovelies.

Sorry about the delayed post, I had an early morning Doctor’s appointment that I needed to attend. The best thing about 8:00am Doctors appointments? No wait! I was in and out in 30 minutes!

Since I had the early appointment I woke up extra early so I could squeeze in a 30 minute speed run on the treadmill. I waivered between 6.5, 7.0, and 7.5 the whole run and felt great.

Too make breakfast quick and easy this morning, I prepared it last night.

CIMG5683

I have been wanting to try Gina’s Famous Breakfast Cookie for a while now, but with an aversion to bananas and oatmeal I have been putting it on hold. In the spirit of trying something new for breakfast I decided today was the perfect time to try one.

CIMG5685

Last night I mixed together 1/2 cup of Oats, 2 Tablespoons of Applesauce, 2 Tablespoons Cashew Butter, 1/8 cup Non-Fat Milk, Cinnamon, Blueberries and mini Chocolate Chips. I put it in the fridge over  night and topped it with a ripe Plum this morning.

I was a little wary because it didn’t harden as much as I was hoping, but after one bite I was sold (I think it was the chocolate chips) It was really tasty and a wonderful new addition to my morning routine. I think next time I would use less milk and hope that it would get a little harder, but all in all I approve!

Since my appointment was so quick I realized I had time to stop at the Starbucks on the way to work to pick up an addictive Tea Latte. I ordered the Non-Fat Vanilla Roobios and asked for no sugar to be added.

CIMG5687

Once I got in the car on my merry way and took my first sip I realized this drink was way to sweet to be sugar free. After a quick glance on the cup I realized they had added the Classic Syrup to the drink.

CIMG5689

I am so paranoid about messed up drink and food orders I was so bummed to realize my drink had a ton of extra sugar to it. I could feel the sugar coating the back of my throat and leaving a sweet residue. yuck!

As I hate to waste food and had paid close to $3.00 for the drink I finished it at work, but I was not a happy Starbucks customer this morning. Now I will just have to pay extra attention to the drinks I order to make sure I get them the way I like.

Is anyone else paranoid about not getting what they want when they order food or drinks?

Ok I have quite a load of meetings today and tomorrow. Wish me luck!

1 Erin February 26, 2009 at 9:28 am

Wow, I’m impressed that you’ve already run and gone to the doctor this morning!
I hate when my food orders get messed up, but usually I’m either to hungry or feel too bad to say anything. It always takes away from the meal though, even if it ends up being okay. Recently I ordered “bean curd” and got BEEF. I was not happy!

2 Lyss February 26, 2009 at 9:32 am

Oh my gosh, I’m the same way! It’s just because I get so excited on having “MY” drink that I’m bummed when I don’t get it. That, and the fact that one minor change can have such drastic caloric difference… Oh well, good for you for not wasting it! Haha

3 VeggieGirl February 26, 2009 at 9:33 am

Wow, quickest doctor visit EVER – I’m jealous, because even when I DO go at 8AM, I’m still there for hours, haha 😀

Boo to Starbucks for messing up – I hate when that happens.

Happy Thursday!!

4 J February 26, 2009 at 9:38 am

Just found your site and it is very nice!

I love getting up and getting things done in the morning! Too bad about Starbucks.

5 Amanda February 26, 2009 at 9:40 am

There’s a line through the CL so the person that wrote the cup tried to make it unsweetened for you. I hate when that happens though. 🙁 If you call up there I bet they’ll let you stop in later for a replacement.

6 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 26, 2009 at 9:41 am

I hate when that happens! I would go back!

7 foodsthatfit February 26, 2009 at 9:42 am

I hate when that happens. I ask for salad dressing on the side all the time and about 25% of the time they say oops, I forgot and the thing is drenched! I would have said something to them!

8 Joanne February 26, 2009 at 9:43 am

I am SOOO paranoid about it. Whenever I order Coke Zero at the movies or drinks at Starbucks, I always watch very carefully to make sure they give me what I want. I hate drinking my calories (although I DO make the exception for a good cup of coffee or a skim cappuccino) and I have caught them in mess-ups once or twice. I am also a pain about special-ordering things at restaurants – less cheese, no this, more that, and I DO get frustrated when I don’t get what I want. I guess I’m picky but if I’m paying for it, I better be getting what I ordered!

9 Leanne February 26, 2009 at 9:52 am

I too hate when this happens!! I like when they repeat my order to me… Darn drinks are too expensive to be wrong! lol

10 Danielle February 26, 2009 at 9:53 am

I’m so paranoid about orders getting messed up, I’m pretty picky usually I’m surprised and it comes out fine but when it doesn’t I’m too much of a baby to say something, typically my boyfriend will say it for me.

11 Kate February 26, 2009 at 9:59 am

UGH. OK so I’m not hating on starbucks (really, I even worked there too!) but I’m just going to say that one of the reasons I switched jobs to my coffee chain was b/c let’s face it, making coffee is not one of the most difficult jobs in the world, but it really can make people’s days easier if you do it right and w/ a smile! I am super cool if someone is quick to fix it or apologizes…but if they simply don’t take the time to see what you’re paying for 3 dollars and up in a cup then I also get frustrated! whew. rant over! HA. At least your breakkie is deelish!

12 Nicole February 26, 2009 at 10:05 am

I am also paranoid that my orders will always get messed up tooooo. I don’t eat dairy, and it always seems that when I ask for no cheese, I always get it!

13 fitforfree February 26, 2009 at 10:10 am

I hate that too. When you think that you could spend $3 on your own roobios tea and a container of milk it gets even more frustrating!

14 Natalie February 26, 2009 at 10:15 am

Thanks for the breakfast cookie recipe link! I was actually trying to find it this morning!

Too bad about stakbucks, I hate it when they do that!

15 gina (fitnessista) February 26, 2009 at 10:20 am

hahah once i watched a girl pour WHOLE milk into my drink and i was like “excuse me, what are you doing?”
i watch those baristas like a hawk
so glad you liked the bfast cookie <3

16 Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 26, 2009 at 10:21 am

I’ve stopped going through the drive through at Starbucks because my drink was wrong more than it was right. I’m one of “those” people who watch everything the baristas do and correct them mid-action if its wrong.

Thanks for the bfast cookie link too! I keep meaning to try it!

17 Whitney February 26, 2009 at 10:25 am

You should have taken it back! or gone to another location and had them remake it.

18 joanna February 26, 2009 at 10:26 am

i work at a starbucks and the line through “cl” definitely means “no classic syrup”. the sugar-free syrup is surprisingly sweet so maybe you have nothing to worry about (-:

19 Meghann February 26, 2009 at 10:41 am

That would have been fine, but I asked for no sugar at all. I even said unsweetened. 🙁

20 Laura February 26, 2009 at 10:28 am

Bummer! They had the cup marked correctly with the line through the CL, someone just messed it up. I hate stuff like that! I order soy drinks occasionally and I’ll see the barista pick up the whipped cream bottle at the end. I always have to stop them. When I worked at Starbucks we never put dairy on soy unless the customer requested it!

21 Bec February 26, 2009 at 10:30 am

I hate getting my orders messed up!

22 Kimberly February 26, 2009 at 10:32 am

Messed-up Starbucks drinks are the WORST! On the one hand, the baristas are rushing and overworked, but on the other hand, if you’re paying $3.00 for a beverage, you deserve to get what you paid for. So while I do bring back incorrect drinks for them to re-make, I try to be super-nice and patient about it (and I’ve gotten more than a few coupons for future free drinks that way – score!)

23 Meg February 26, 2009 at 10:40 am

Hope the doctor’s appointment went well! I hate when Starbucks doesn’t make my drinks like I ask….especially when it involves extra sugar. I guess they didn’t realize that you didn’t want the syrup when you said no sugar, but they should have.

24 Erin February 26, 2009 at 11:09 am

That breakfast looks great! I am going to try it!

25 brandi February 26, 2009 at 11:10 am

yeah, I hate when stuff gets messed up, too.

I often wonder if it’s wrong if I haven’t had a latte in a while because sometimes it tastes so rich that I think it *can’t* be ff milk 🙂

I do try to watch them making it, so that helps.

Next time (if you have time) take it back in – they’ll remake and sometimes give you a coupon for a free drink next time

26 Julia February 26, 2009 at 11:15 am

aww, a little sugar never killed anyone 😉

27 NAOmni February 26, 2009 at 11:17 am

I’m pretty paranoid..but after working so much in the food business I realize it happens so I try to cut some slack with stuff like that. Peanut allergies are a whole other thing, but…I’ve just seen how crazy places can get!

NAOmni

28 alli February 26, 2009 at 11:18 am

i hate when whatever i order comes out wrong… especially at restaurants! i get nervous when the waiter/waitress doesn’t write anything down and tries to memorize what everyone gets. i feel like i’m always changing something when i order, and i’d rather have someone write it down and get it right than have to go back and fix what’s messed up!
oh yeh… the whole is this really diet coke thing makes me nervous too!

29 ksgoodeats February 26, 2009 at 11:21 am

Glad you liked the breakfast cookie 😀

Being a vegetarian I’m ALWAYS paranoid about hidden meat products in food that I order! Once I ordered a soup and the waitress assured me there was no meat in it (no beef broth, etc.) but what did I bite into? PORK! I was not pleased in the least bit!

30 Hallie February 26, 2009 at 11:21 am

I am always paraniod because there are some things I just can’t deal with if it’s wrong. When my parents used to get fast food for us, we’d have to pull over so I could check my sandwich, because if I got home and it had cheese or mayo or mustard (which back in the day I didn’t like), my poor dad would either have to go back or we’d have to throw it out. I don’t do fast food anymore (well…rarely :-)) but I’m still paranoid when we get Mexican food, for the same reason.

31 Missy (Missy Maintains) February 26, 2009 at 11:27 am

Hate when that happens..you should write them a letter and they will send you a free drink coupon! I have done that a few times in the past..always works!

32 Allison February 26, 2009 at 11:41 am

Sorry about your Starbucks! I am TOTALLY paranoid about all my drinks – especially when I order “diet pop” at a large table at a restaurant!!!! I’m pretty wary of Starbucks too – but the one that’s actually in the building I work is is always reliable!

Have a good day!

33 Amy C. February 26, 2009 at 11:46 am

I hate when that happens! Next time you should go back in. My Starbucks has a sign where they hand it to you that says take a sip before you leave and that they’ll be happy to remake it if it isn’t right.

34 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 26, 2009 at 11:59 am

I have a lot of experience now with the breakfast cookie recipe (I eat like 2 a week or so), and I too was surprised at how gooey it was the first time I made one. In fact, I popped it in the freezer for a couple minutes to make it easier to eat. Since then, I have omitted any milk or extra liquid and it’s so much better – the consistency is more like raw cookie dough. 🙂 Way to go with the applesauce, though – that is my favorite mix in – up the quantity to 1/4 cup and you definitely won’t need extra liquid after mixing in the dry stuff and nut butter. 🙂 Pumpkin works well that way too.

35 bobbi February 26, 2009 at 11:59 am

you ane me are twins, I had the same thing happend but with milk. I asked for non fat and I could tell it was full fat! lol….But that line that is a cross the CL means no syrup so thats weird that they still put it in! I too am trying one of those cookies tomorrow morning:) I think you would have loved my french toast this morning!

36 Sammie February 26, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I always make substitutions or eliminate things when I order out – why is it that they have a hard time giving someone a black coffee?!?! – pour and serve. I have had so many lousy experiences at restaurants so we tend to stick to the ones that we know are capable of getting simple requests right. Sorry your tea was not what you wanted – at least you started your day with a great workout. Happy Thursday!

37 Rose February 26, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Maybe you should write a letter to Starbucks on their website? Places are usually pretty good about things like that. I really hate when that happens – I am so paranoid at coffee shops and watch to make sure the milk they use is skim. I swear they toss in whatever milk they want sometimes.

38 Emily February 26, 2009 at 12:37 pm

great job with your workout this morning!
sorry about starbucks! I always try to check before I leave to make sure they didn’t mess things up!

39 peanutbutterandjuli February 26, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I am so WITH you. I hate it when Starbucks messes up my drinks. Then I feel like a b***h when I ask for them to fix it! I’m proud of you for drinking it. I’ve been wanting to try one- I will now, but I’ll ask for NO ADDED SUGAR and triple check the cup 🙂

Have a great day!

40 Yasmin February 26, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I hate it when that happens. I too do not trust restaurants and others preparing my food/drinks. What a waste!

41 elise February 26, 2009 at 1:54 pm

yeah, im like a psycho watching them make my drink bc 75% of the time they get it wrong…sbux and i have a love/hate relationship for that very reason. not a good average for them…

42 Shelby February 26, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I HATE when food places get the orders wrong! Arg!!

Um that cookie looks amazing! I’m glad you gave it a shot, it’s totally worth it.

43 Susan February 26, 2009 at 2:23 pm

I used to work at Starbucks too and I know how easy it is to screw up drink orders! That’s why I pick my cup out in the line-up and watch them make it verrrry carefullly. Starbucks is too expensive to not get the drink you want!

44 Ashley C. February 26, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Ugh, I hate when places mess things up but I understand that it happens. Bummer though and I am paranoid that they will always mess up what I order. I usually send it back though if it’s not right but it sucks when you’ve already left the place before you realize it. I hate that sugary coating on your teeth though- that is so gross.
I have been wanting to try the famous breakfast cookie as well I think I’ll give it a try soon

45 Matt February 26, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I hate when places get my food orders wrong! I always have to customize everything though!

Excited for the races this weekend?

46 Leah February 26, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Wow, impressive!!!

I’m always so inspired by your motivation to run!
How many miles would you say you run on average per week?
I average about 20: some more, some less.

Great bowl of oats there!

47 Heather Eats Almond Butter February 26, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I’m a totally paranoid annoying customer who asks at least twice is they used skim milk and SF syrup…I always make sure to leave a nice tip cause I know I drive them crazy.

Meghann, try freezing your b’fast cookie. I’ll pop mine in the freezer as soon as I get out of bed, and by the time I’ve worked out and showered, it’s perfect!

48 Sarah February 26, 2009 at 4:05 pm

i hate messed up drinks, too. if it’s too late for me to go back, i usually try to give it to someone else who doesn’t care because i’d rather save my sugar for something that needs it!

49 HangryPants February 26, 2009 at 11:34 pm

I am always v. paranoid at Starbucks. I always think they put sugar and full fat milk in my drink.

When I made my first breakfast cookie Tuesday, I put it in the freezer and then thawed it a bit to get it to harden.

50 For the Love of Peanut Butter February 27, 2009 at 7:06 am

wow–so interesting!! u brinng up a good point. i think some ppl who work there are so tired they forget things. they dont do it to piss us off, they can get careless though. but with milk drinks, i can usually tell by the first sip and by the color! but with cokes, i cannot. I get sooooo paranoid at restaurants when i order diet coke. thats why i usually stick with water!!

51 G November 15, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Starbucks has messed up my drink so many times I am no longer going to go there. And yeah they always have an attitude when I tell them the drink is wrong, and I am not rude about it because I have worked in customer service and the food industry so I know how it is. I would just go somewhere else, they don’t deserve our business.