Gasparilla Goals

by Meghann on February 25, 2009

On my morning run I was contemplating goals for my races this weekend. Before each race I like to have set goals so I can feel accomplished in the end.

For Gasparilla I have signed up to run both the 5k on Saturday and the Half Marathon on Sunday. With back to back races I knew I had to make my goals realistic.

For the 5k I plan to..

• …average an 8:15 pace.
  • …not kill myself on the first mile.
  • ….realize I will be running a half marathon the next day and this is just a fun run with friends

For the Half I plan to….

• …. average a 9:15 pace
  • …. finish under 2 hours
  • …. not burn out in the first half

Hopefully this goals will be realistic ones I can achieve. I was planning on not trying to PR for any of these races, but after my great 12 mile run on Sunday I have faith that I can run the hell out of the half if I don’t go to hard on the 5k. What do you think? Do you set race goals a head of time?

This morning I ran 4.6 miles at a 9:20 pace, no need to try to injure myself for the weekend by pushing hard this week. I’m planning a short 3 mile run tomorrow and then rest on Friday. I can’t wait!

As promised I moved away from cereal this morning. Of course it’s still the same breakfast concept with multi-grain eggos instead,  but that’s besides the point!…lol

CIMG5657

I had 2 Multi-Grain Eggos with Non-Fat Vanilla Yogurt, a Plum, Strawberries, & Blueberries.

CIMG5661

This was a DELISH breakfast! All the fruit was just so fresh! The plum was my favorite part, I’m so glad they were one sale at Publix this week.

Blogging Bake Sale Review

Christy was kind enough to share her review of Caitlin’s Gingerbread Heart Cookies she had purchased from the Blogging Bake Sale. I have to agree with everything Christy says, Caitlin was kind enough to give me a cookie sample when she was baking these and I enjoyed it immensely!

Hi Ladies!
I just wanted to let you both know that I received Caitlin’s A-maz-ing cookies!!! I had planned on taking some pictures but my camera is dead! I didn’t know until I went to photograph them!  As soon as I picked up my package on Thursday I PROMPTLY ate a cookie….and then two more! They are the best gingerbread cookies I’ve ever had in my life!! And the icing is fantastic! They are absolutely perfect! I may have had a *few* more over the weekend!!! My boyfriend is a fan, too!!
Again, good luck Meghann and thank you Caitlin for baking such great treats!
Good luck with your runs this weekend, ladies!
Christy

Thank you to Christy and Caitlin for their participation in the Blogging Bake Sale!

1 caitln February 25, 2009 at 8:25 am

i really need to get into a better frame of mind for this race. i always kind of feel nervous and depressed before a big race weekend. i wonder why that is.

my knees feel a lot better, im just hoping they dont irritate me at the races.

2 kilax February 25, 2009 at 8:32 am

I set race goals too – usually just trying to finish under a certain amount of time.

I think your goals sound great! Good luck this weekend!

3 Mica February 25, 2009 at 8:35 am

Great goals! I think they are reasonable AND completely impressive! My goal would just be to finish. You’re so fast, lady!

4 VeggieGirl February 25, 2009 at 8:52 am

Good luck!!

I still haven’t heard back from the person who won the blondies – I sent them to her over a week ago 🙁

5 zestycook February 25, 2009 at 8:55 am

I am really loving the cereal switch up. It looks yummy

6 Meg February 25, 2009 at 9:00 am

I think your goals are awesome! I just starting running and can barely run a mile…so I don’t know how you do it! You are amazing!

7 Emily February 25, 2009 at 9:16 am

Good luck this weekend! I think you’re amazing for tackling all these races in one weekend! We’ll all be cheering for you in the blogworld!

8 Danielle February 25, 2009 at 9:30 am

Those a great goals, you are going to rock this weekend!
Love the breakfast! I need to have some waffles soon they just look too good!

9 Nicole February 25, 2009 at 9:32 am

Good luck with your races! You’ll do fabulous! I’ve only ran run race, and my only goal was to beat the mayor of my city who also ran it, and I did 😀

10 jenngirl February 25, 2009 at 9:44 am

I think setting goals ahead of time decreases A LOT of anxiety for me, whether it’s working out, or just life decisions in general. I know you’re gunna do great!

11 Bec February 25, 2009 at 9:48 am

Good luck this weekend! I set goals a head of time but I don’t fixate on them, and often I set my dream goal and realistic goal. Hope you are having a great day.

12 ksgoodeats February 25, 2009 at 10:03 am

Great goals, Meghann!! GOOD LUCK!

13 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 25, 2009 at 10:04 am

You are gonna kick some gasparilla butt!

14 Holly February 25, 2009 at 10:04 am

I LOVE setting goals for races! I always do, whether intentionally or not. My problem is being okay with them if they don’t turn out like I’d planned. So I always kind of set my goals at a pretty reachable point unless I KNOW I’m gonna rock it. I know you are – can’t wait to see how you do! Those sound like great goals. 🙂

15 Amanda February 25, 2009 at 10:05 am

I think those goals sound really great! If you can treat your 5K as your last taper run before the half, then it will probably help rather than hurt you!

I set a goal for my half-marathon and I think it was great to have in the back of my mind! My first mile was about 10 mins (1.5 slower than I wanted) due to bottlenecking, so it really motivated me to keep a good pace after that. I ended up finishing in 1:50 and was thrilled. You will have such a fun weekend!!!

16 Betsy February 25, 2009 at 10:06 am

I’ll be curious to see how all the races turn out – I’ve never ran any type of race, but your goals seem realistic. Can’t wait to hear about it!

17 Matt February 25, 2009 at 10:08 am

You’ll do great this weekend! Just remember to pace yourself and you’ll do fine. I think goals are awesome; if we didn’t have them, no one would get anywhere!

18 Ida February 25, 2009 at 10:10 am

Good luck this weekend! Two races in a weekend is super impressive. I would take the 5k easy and bust out the 1/2. I bet you can run it @ a sub-9 pace.

19 healthy ashley February 25, 2009 at 10:17 am

I am still so impressed you’re running all those races! I can’t wait for the meet-up. I’ll email you Friday if I don’t get the details from you before!

20 Melissa S. February 25, 2009 at 10:17 am

I def like the goals you’ve set up, esp the one where you don’t go out too fast on the first mile during the 5k!!! (did we learn from seasons 52 5.2k? I hope so!!!) you’re going to do great! still looking to see if i can come on sunday…i really hope i can.

21 Allison February 25, 2009 at 10:39 am

I think your goals are great! You are totally gonna kick put this run!

22 Hangry Pants February 25, 2009 at 11:02 am

Awesome goals. I’ve run only one race, but I did have a goal – don’t walk!

23 brandi February 25, 2009 at 11:16 am

I think those are great goals.

breakfast looks yummy. I’m ready for fresh plums!

24 Missy (Missy Maintains) February 25, 2009 at 11:38 am

I never ran a race but I try to set goals for my workouts! It helps me to keep going instead of giving up. Love the waffles! The plum looks so good!

25 Kate February 25, 2009 at 11:44 am

rock on for plums being on sale-I always get excited when I finally get fruit other than apples for cheap!

26 carolinebee February 25, 2009 at 11:49 am

Good luck!! That’s great you’re thinking of those goals now…Those are really good and realistic goals, they seem to keep with a theme of having FUN and enjoying yourself!

27 Danielle February 25, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Good luck Meggie, I’m sure you’ll be great!

28 marafaye February 25, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I’m totally amazed that you can run at that pace at all!!

29 Natalie February 25, 2009 at 12:12 pm

That is great! My sis just ran a half marathon last weekend…she did it in 2:30. They ran 9 mins, walked 1, but not sure of the exact speed. Good luck 🙂

30 Sarah February 25, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Great goals Meg. I think that those are really realistic times. I always set my goals a little slow, so I don’t wind up disappointed with myself, but I definitely think your times are attainable.

31 Ryan February 25, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Very nice! I have set a goal for my 5K too!

Did details of the lunch go out yet? If so, I didn’t get an email? Let me know!

32 elise February 25, 2009 at 1:32 pm

good luck!!!!!!!

33 Bridget February 25, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Wow I am envious of your racing!! You are going to do awesome!!!! You should be proud already of just participating in that extent of racing in one weekend!!

34 Shelby February 25, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Good Luck!

35 Heather Eats Almond Butter February 25, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Can’t wait to hear about the race Meghann – you’re going to fly!

Regarding the plums…you Floridians get all the best deal on fruit…so not fair! 🙂