more ยป" />

Throw Back to the 80s

by Meghann on February 24, 2009

Tonight I decided to break out something that has been buried in my closet way too long..

CIMG5646.JPG

my Rollerblades!

I bought these babies a couple of years ago in attempt to make exercise more fun. Little did I realize that rollerblading is not as effortless as it was when I was 12. These babies give you quite the work out and I gave up on them after a couple of turns around the block.

Tonight I was determined to enjoy this work out, rather then dread it. I did a 20 minute skate around my apartment complex and could feel it in my legs, abs and shoulder. I relished the pain as it meant I was accomplishing something with these babies.

I think now that I’ve rediscovered the skate and their benefits I will utilize them more often for cross training purposes. ๐Ÿ™‚

Whens the last time you were on a pair of rollerblades or skates? Were you someone who went to the skating rink as a kid? I remember going on Friday nights and hoping my crush would ask to hold my hand during the slow songs..swoon..

Anyways..

Before I left work I had a Kashi Pumpkin Pie Bar.

CIMG5645.JPG

Dinner was a fun twist on a Frittata.

CIMG5648.JPG

In my egg white Frittata I had Dates, Goat Cheese, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Spinach, Asparagus and Green Onions. I heated up all the veggies in a small pan then coated the veggies with a cup of egg whites. I let the bottom heat for a minute or two, then transferred it under the broiler for about five minutes.

CIMG5649.JPG

I topped the frittata with a dollop of Tomato Chutney. It added a spicy touch to the sweet and savory combo in the frittata.

On the side I had a toasted Flat Out wrap slathered with Tomato Chutney.

CIMG5652.JPG

It was a great, protein rich meal.

For dessert I had the last of Tami’s Whoopee Pies.

CIMG5655.JPG

Thanks again, Tami, for the wonderful whoopee pies! I enjoyed each and every one of them!

I’m off to watch some trashy tv. Good Night!

1 Nicole February 24, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I haven’t skated in so long! I have this one skating memory from when I had a rollerskating party at the local rink. It was my cousin’s and I’s party, probably 12th or something. I was skating around the rink during my solo-birthday skate.. I was soaking up all the attention, being a total diva until I went to high five my cousin and he tripped me instead and I fell straight on my face while everyone was watching me! Girl, I was mortified! I think that is the last time I’ve roller-skated.

Have you gotten the carrot cake whoopie pies yet? I always get super paranoid that no one gets my packages, haha. I sent one to Canada like 4 months ago and it hasn’t gotten there yet. Womp womp.

2 aron February 24, 2009 at 7:44 pm

i always see people out on the running paths roller blading ๐Ÿ™‚ i havent skated in forever!!! i used to love the roller rink when i was a kid.

3 VeggieGirl February 24, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I haven’t been blading in YEARS!! It was always fun ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Derek February 24, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Meghann! You sneaky little copy cat! At least say I planted the rollerblading idea in your head…haha. 3 days..tick tock tick tock. :-))

5 Meghann February 25, 2009 at 8:58 am

Don’t hate! I told you I already owned a pair! ๐Ÿ™‚ and its 2 days now ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Mica February 24, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Hahaha, rollerblades crack me up. They’re still really big in the Midwest. People use them as a way to get to class. Hahaha, I’d probably kill myself!

7 ksgoodeats February 24, 2009 at 7:50 pm

What a fun way to mix it up!!

Nice fritatta remake ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Bec February 24, 2009 at 7:53 pm

My friend and I starting rolling blading in the summer as a post run cool down, it was fun and great exercise!

9 Natalie February 24, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Oh my gosh, I’m totally stealing that idea! I haven’t rollerbladed since a birthday party in 6th grade. ๐Ÿ™‚

10 Sammie February 24, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Yay!!! Rollerblades rock! As you know I laced up this weekend but I was using roller skates. I own rollerblades and haven’t used them since last summer – I will use them again when the warm weather is back. Glad you had yourself some fun.

11 Rose February 24, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Rollerblades?? I love it!

Your dinner looks great.

12 Laura February 24, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Tuesday is the best trashy tv night! I’m right there with you.

I used to go to the skating rink in elementary school. I had such good times there! Some songs, like Paula Abdul’s “Straight Up,” take me right back. ๐Ÿ™‚ I never owned any rollerblades.

13 marafaye February 24, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Hey, rollerblades are totally the early 90s, not 80s ๐Ÿ˜‰

I rollerskate at least once a summer with camp!

14 Meghann February 25, 2009 at 8:58 am

I know! I realized after I hit publish that I should have said 90s..oh well

15 Lauren February 24, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Love the Kashi Pumpkin Pie Bars. It’s nearly as good as eating a wonderful piece of pumpkin pie and so much more satisfying.

I have the same idea as you on the fritata, only I am planning on doing omeletts tomorrow but with the same ingredients (goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes, spinach and aspargus). I’ve never tired dates though in my eggs. Sounds interestingly good!

16 rhodeygirltests February 24, 2009 at 8:41 pm

aww rollerblading!!!!! i think i went 2 summers ago? hard to remember!!!

17 zestycook February 24, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I am laughing out loud! Love the roller blades… great eats as always.

18 Meredith February 24, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I like that you added dates to your frittata!
I haven’t put on rollerblades in ages, but you’re right, it’s such a good way to mix up the cardio.

19 Yasmin February 24, 2009 at 8:53 pm

MMMM….I want to try that recipe out. Can’t miss with goat cheese and dates..

20 Sharon February 24, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Oh wow, dinner looks great!!!!

21 Allison February 24, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I LOVE rollerblading! I had this awesome pair of Bauer skates FOREVER – and I lost them – and I’ve been too afraid to buy a new pair since (I don’t think Bauer makes inline skates anymore) – because I’m afraid they wont be as good!

22 LT February 24, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I absolutely LOVE rollerblading!! But, I feel like a dork so I never do it ๐Ÿ™

23 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 24, 2009 at 9:07 pm

I just bought some rollerblades from a neighbor for $3! I need to take em for a spin!

24 Ryan February 24, 2009 at 9:08 pm

AH, I need to dig out my rollerblades too! I’m so BAD at them!

Your dinner looks yummy and I really want to try some of those whoopee pies. Yum!

25 Shelby February 24, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I used to go rollerblading at the rink every friday night with my cousins. We would have so much fun! I miss it, I used to be SO good at it too.

26 Betsy February 24, 2009 at 9:18 pm

I used to rollerblade like no one’s business – and I have a sweet picture of me wearing wrist guards, a helmet, knee pads, and my giant purple glasses. Yeah 13 year old self! ๐Ÿ™‚

27 Meg February 24, 2009 at 9:18 pm

I was at the roller rink almost every weekend when I was little!! Oh the good ole’ days!

28 Missy (MISSY MAINTAINS) February 24, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Ahh I love rollerblading!! I brought mine out this past summer with Dori and we found out how much we love it!! I can’t wait till it gets warm so I can start again. Thats so fun that you can do it in your apartment!

29 Matt February 24, 2009 at 9:26 pm

That frittata looks awesome! I never really skated as a kid. I was pretty bad!

30 Erica February 24, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I use to love to rollerblade! It has been FOREVER since I last gave it a go (I don’t know if my parents even kept my old rollerblades??). What a fun workout. Dinner looks super yum and that dessert…so awesome!

31 NAOmni February 24, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Your food looks delicious as always!

NAOmni

32 raspberryrunner February 24, 2009 at 9:52 pm

love the rollerblades!! reminds me of skating parties in elementary school.

That frittata looks incredible! yum!!

33 Emily February 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm

i tried rollerblading when i was home this summer, and it was a lot harder than i remember it being when i was a kid!

34 Aimee February 24, 2009 at 10:36 pm

My husband and I have rollerblades and we use them every summer on the weekends to switch things up.

35 snackface February 24, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Oh my gosh! I think I’d be terrified to rollerblade now! I’ve always been wary of things on wheels: skateboards, bikes, rollerscates/blades, scooters. I’m just not ballsy enough for them!

36 Kelly February 24, 2009 at 11:07 pm

LOL I remember those roller blades! They really do kick your butt! New PDR btw 8 miles. I’m working on getting into double digits. ๐Ÿ™‚ Love you!

37 One Healthy Apple February 25, 2009 at 1:12 am

The last time I skated was over 3 years ago when my fiance and I were just dating. It was our third date and he took me to a skating rink at which I proceeded to embarrass myself by falling over the whole time. At least he was sweet enough to pick me up!

38 Hangry Pants February 25, 2009 at 2:10 am

Oh my god! The last time I rollerbladed I went butt first down a giant hill. I literally had two giant cuts, then scabs on each butt cheak and couldn’t sit or lay on my stomach. I had to bandage them and wear shorts under my wool uniform skirt!

Mark plays roller hockey though!

39 Sarah February 25, 2009 at 2:55 am

I want to be like you. I’m going to buy some of those kiddie roller skates that fit over your shoes and hit the town tomorrow.

40 Dori February 25, 2009 at 7:27 am

I bought rollerblades last year and Missy and I had some skating adventures with them over the summer — one being in Central Park where they don’t tell you it is all HILLS and we had no idea how to slow down going insanely fast on a hill and I was screaming “MELISSA!!! MELISSAAAAAA!” and trying to figure out which type of fence would hurt less to crash into – the wooden on my left or the metal on my right — since I couldn’t see any other way to stop! Luckily it leveled out. We also skated on a boardwalk (hard!) and a couple other times – but we need to do it more this year. It’s a great workout and you are so right — NOTHING like it was when we were young and I had no fear!

So in sad news, your blog is now blocked at work… so I won’t be able to read and comment nearly as much as I’d like. ๐Ÿ™

41 Sarah February 25, 2009 at 7:36 am

haha, ohhhh rollerskates. definitely had birthday parties at the roller rink growing up. i’ve actually never been on the blades — always looked too scary and fast for me!

that is quite possibly the most beautiful fritatta i’ve ever seen …

42 sarahdbelle February 25, 2009 at 9:51 am

I’m a disaster on wheels- rollerblades, rollerskates! I always wanted a pair of rollerblades growing up, but my mom was afraid I’d kill myself. I’m glad you broke them out for a workout. It sounds like fun!
Your dinner looks delicious!
Sarah

43 lauren (athlEAT) February 25, 2009 at 10:45 am

yess…roller blades! i have a pair in my basement…and use to skate around my neighborhood growing up. your frittata looks outstanding.

44 brandi February 25, 2009 at 11:17 am

oh man, I used to LOVE going to the skating rink! What great memories ๐Ÿ™‚

45 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 25, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Awesome frittata! That’s what I’m talkin about.

46 Tal February 25, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Rollerblades! I haven’t used them since I was 13, and I’m 23 now. I was always terrified of falling….. maybe I should see if they still fit…

47 Marianne March 1, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Well, I’ve figure skated since I was 3, so I’m always on my ice skates. I bought some roller blades a few years ago, but I SUCK at rollerblading. It’s not even funny how bad I am. I cannot rollerblade outside where the ground is not even. In a roller rink, I’m fine, but introduce any bumps, hills, whatever, and I’ll bail.