Happy Tuesday everyone!

by Meghann on February 24, 2009

Congratulations,you have survived Monday! The rest of the week should be a breeze. πŸ™‚

I am trying not to over it do it this week before my races this weekend, so this morning I found a work-out on my Netflix Instant Play that seemed relatively easy and low impact.  I did the Self: Slim and Sleek, Fast!

All I have to say is easy and low impact was right, this work out was boring! I think I yawned half way through it. Oh well, that’s what I get for not running. However, while digging out the weights to use during the DVD, I found something fun that I plan to experiment with tonight to get my booty moving. Stay tuned for my evening post for more information on that. πŸ˜‰

After my boring work out, I needed an exciting breakfast. It’s funny how the same thing I have every morning is still exciting to me. πŸ™‚

CIMG5632

Yep, cereal it was! I had 1/2 cup Kashi Cinnamon Harvest, 1/2 cup Kashi Honey Sunshines, Vanilla Non-Fat Yogurt, Strawberries, Blueberries, and 1/4 cup of Ezekial 4:9 Almond Cereal sprinkled on top.

CIMG5633

I promise to switch my breakfast up a little tomorrow. πŸ™‚

I’m actually feeling like I’m in a food rut lately. My breakfast is pretty much the same every morning and my snacks are turning into the parade of bars. I’m thinking about challenging myself next week to revamp my food up. Maybe a different breakfast combination each morning and snacks that aren’t bars? I’m stilling thinking about, but I would look out for that in the next week. I need a change.

Do you ever feel in a food rut?

1 kilax February 24, 2009 at 8:31 am

I’ve noticed my husband and I have been in a food rut lately – especially with bars as well. We just get so used to eating something and relying on it. I am trying to shake it up with more fresh fruits and veggies as snacks.

Side note – we are most likely signing up for the Disney Half Marathon πŸ™‚ You’re thinking about the full, right?

2 Anne P February 24, 2009 at 8:37 am

i pretty much always have the same thing for breakfast… when i was in the US it was always kashi heart to heart with berries, banana, and lots of skim milk. sadly in prague there is no kashi, so now i have some form of banana oatmeal everyday. i switch up the toppings but that’s about it πŸ™‚ i’m okay with being in a breakfast rut though, i like it!! i can’t WAIT to have heart to heart next week in florida!!!!! and to meet you…. what’s the deal with the sunday get together?? i think i was emailing with caitlin about it…

anyway, lunch and snacks and dinner are another matter though… i hear you on feeling in a rut. i have to remind myself to think of new and interesting stuff because the same old things get boring fast!! especially here in prague where ther’es not as many fun options of healthy food!

3 Meghann February 24, 2009 at 8:38 am

Kilax- yes I’m considering the full, but I’m waiting to see how my first Marathon goes. I rally am thinking I’m going to do it though. πŸ™‚

4 verbalriot February 24, 2009 at 8:38 am

since my week has been insane with homework and assignments, I’m DEFINITELY in a food rut, especially when it comes to lunch!

Your breakfast looks fantastic and bright =]

5 Bec February 24, 2009 at 8:42 am

i definitely have foods I love that I eat all the time, my morning oats, broccoli, spinach salad… but I love them and they are good for me so its ok πŸ™‚

6 Raya February 24, 2009 at 8:44 am

I find that my favorite snacks are raw fruit and vegetables…I cut up peppers (all colors!), carrots, grape tomatoes a handful of sugar snap peas and put them in little baggies and keep them in my fridge. That way it’s easy and convenient to grab on the go!

Also, I wanted to ask you, since you’re a big runner, do you ever get shin splints? I used to run all the time (and loved it!) but lately my shins hurt so badly I can only go MAYBE once a week, and that’s if I’m lucky! Any advice? (I am not a treadmill runner so that’s not really an option for me haha). Any advice would be greatly appreciated though!

7 Jenny February 24, 2009 at 8:45 am

Food rut is my life! πŸ™‚ I basically stay to a specific menu when I’m trying my hardest to lose weight–If I’m maintaining I can, of course, switch it up, but if you check out my latest blog, I actually discuss what goes into my body daily–and it consists of the same things. I do mix up breakfasts and dinner most days, though….

Happy Tuesday to you. Only 4 more days! By the way, what do you do? Also, did you get my message about your tennis court workout? I cannot find it for the life of me! Shoot me an email if you don’t mind? Thanks hon.

8 VeggieGirl February 24, 2009 at 8:48 am

I have to get through today (2 presentations back-to-back!!), and THEN it’ll be a breeze πŸ˜‰

9 Andrea [bella eats] February 24, 2009 at 8:52 am

When I get in a food rut, the best way for me to get out of it is to make a challenge for myself. Like, all my breakfasts will be vegan. Or, try a new blogger breakfast every day. Heather at Heather Eats Almond Butter had a breakfast challenge a couple of weeks ago to get herself out of a rut, and I loved reading about all of her different creations.

Good luck! πŸ™‚

10 BB February 24, 2009 at 8:56 am

I am totally in a food rut…and breakfast is my most “boring” meal!

11 biz319 February 24, 2009 at 8:57 am

I love you berry breakfasts! If you like it, who cares?

I can eat the same things over and over again and never get bored with it – only my blog makes me think outside the box!

Happy Fat Tuesday!

12 Meghann February 24, 2009 at 9:00 am

Hey Anne! – Caitlin said she got your e-mail. We’re still working out the details for the Sunday lunch. I’m going to do another call out in my lunch post so look for an e-mail from us tonight or tomorrow!

13 Dana February 24, 2009 at 9:00 am

omg yes! I fall into food ruts all the time! But as long as the food satisfies you and makes you happy eat it girl!!

πŸ™‚ hope you have a good day

14 Julz February 24, 2009 at 9:02 am

Hi Boo <3

Um Foodrut = my middle name. But they are my faaaves n I’m a ridiculously picky eater so whaevskiii πŸ˜‰

Have a great dayyy!

15 dailygoods February 24, 2009 at 9:03 am

ah yes i was in such a food fut, but the cfw i did really snapped me out of it. i still love oats as a regular breakfast but am trying to spice up dinners and lunch more!

16 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 24, 2009 at 9:04 am

I do but whenever I try to switch it up I go back to my old stand-bys. I just LOVE them…aka OATMEAL!

17 Amanda February 24, 2009 at 9:04 am

Definitely in a food rut – I’m kindof okay with it though!

I stick to oatmeal for my weekday bfast because I’m afraid I’ll get starving mid-morning at work if I have anything else! I think I just need to take the time at the grocery store to branch out. My trips tend to have me grabbing the exact same things each time, so even if I wanted to get creative at home I have limited ingredients! Also it doesn’t help that I work out after work and come home hungry and just want something fast!!

18 Matt February 24, 2009 at 9:05 am

I’m always in a food rut! I guess it’s good I like what I eat!

19 Meg February 24, 2009 at 9:09 am

I tend to get in food ruts all the time! I just get comfortable and certain foods become routine/habit!

20 Mica February 24, 2009 at 9:10 am

I love in a perpetual food rut, but I like getting new ideas from all the food blogs, like yours!

21 Erin February 24, 2009 at 9:15 am

I also get trapped in food ruts often. I think it comes from loving a certain food so much! I’ve always had a breakfast rut though, for some reason I eat one food for a few years constantly and then I switch. Lately I’m all about the oat bran.
I did feel really in a rut a few weeks ago, and told myself I’d try eating more colors of food and thats helped me branch out from my usuals.
I could still probably be called in a food rut, but I feel like I’m at a point where I eat my favorite foods but have so me variety!

22 Audrey February 24, 2009 at 9:15 am

i definitely get into food ruts, i find a combo that i love and i stick with it. for the past 5 (!) workweeks i have had the exact same bfast..1 6 oz container of plain ff yogurt, 1/4 cup kashi go lean crunch, small banana and a big handful of blueberries all mixed together.mmm i love it so much but then one day i’ll be sick of it and won’t eat it for 6 months haha.

23 Rose February 24, 2009 at 9:25 am

Oh goodness, you’re talking to the queen of food ruts right here. I was just in one about two weeks ago – especially with lunches. To get out of it, I started searching for new and different recipes online. I have been cooking two new recipes on Sundays for lunches on Monday and Tuesday. It’s been working out quite well and helped get me out of the rut!

24 Natalie February 24, 2009 at 9:27 am

I’m in a major food rut to! But I can’t be to picky living in a dorm.

25 Emily February 24, 2009 at 9:30 am

I eat oatmeal in the morning like it’s my job…hello, major food rut. But it really keeps me full! I need to try and switch up the toppings some I think. I love the colors of those berries!

26 brandi February 24, 2009 at 9:31 am

oh yeah, I get in ruts. Sometimes you just have to make yourself shake things up!!

27 Sarah February 24, 2009 at 9:31 am

your cereal is so colorful, refreshing, and healthy — why would you want to switch??

i get in complete breakfast ruts — i just don’t want to put my beloved oatmeal to the side! I at least try to change the flavor once a week, haha.

and every time i think i want a low-impact workout, I end up yawning through the whole thing and wondering why i’m wasting my time. i know it’s important to make time for my body to rest, but it’s so boring sometimes!!

28 Shannon February 24, 2009 at 9:35 am

I am SO in a food rut with my breakfast. Instant oatmeal packs because it is quick, easy, and yummy. Today I switched it up and had what you had kinda. It was so friggin GOOD. YUM. You are such a inspiration to me, I hope someday soon to have your success with eating and even drop these stupid pounds that NEED to go for good. πŸ™‚

29 fitforfree February 24, 2009 at 9:35 am

I definitely get into food ruts because I’ll cook a couple dishes on Sunday and eat them all week until they’re gone! I need to get in the habit of freezing leftovers πŸ™‚

There’s nothing wrong with eating something you love over and over, though!

30 Mel February 24, 2009 at 9:36 am

I totally feel you on the food rut, I’m totally stuck in one and just can’t seem to get out of it. I don’t know if being in a rut is so bad with a breakfast like that though!

31 Emily February 24, 2009 at 9:36 am

I definately get in a food rut ALL the time! especially for breakfast.

That sucks about the boring workout, cant wait to hear what you have in store for this evening πŸ™‚ Have a great day girl!

32 Betsy February 24, 2009 at 9:36 am

I definitely did in college – I ate the same exact same thing every day after figuring out what I could get for the amount on my meal plan. I was happy to let that go and do my own grocery shopping!

33 kristen February 24, 2009 at 10:00 am

Whenever I get in a food rut I’ll go to a farm market or grocery store I don’t go to regularly to see if they sell anything different or new to try. I also get new ideas from these blogs! I’ve found several new snacks and foods from reading about other people’s favorite eats.

34 Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2009 at 10:30 am

Go for it Meghann. Ever since I decided to get out of my breakfast rut, I’ve had so much fun experimenting with different foods every morning. It’s also been interesting to see what combos work best and keep me going until lunch. I find that high fat/protein combos work really well, and oat bran is great for the fulness factor. Can’t wait to see some of your delicious new combinations. Besides, I need some inspiration as I’m running out of new ideas!

PS – I will miss your beautiful bowls of cereal and berries. πŸ™‚

35 Julie February 24, 2009 at 10:41 am

For about a year I was in a major food rut with cereal. I would seriously eat cereal for like 3 meals a day I was literally addicted to it haha so I completely understand πŸ™‚

36 Yasmin February 24, 2009 at 10:47 am

I definitely feel like I’m in a food rut! I try to make things different but end up using the same combo of ingredients. But they are soooo good! I like reading other creative ideas though.

37 elise February 24, 2009 at 11:00 am

every day i have work i eat the same thing, am coffee, odwalla bar, sammie, dried fruit, apple, etc. – FOOD RUT! good thing i only work a sporatic 4 days a week, otherwise id be bored by now..maybe i should revamp too?

38 Danielle February 24, 2009 at 11:28 am

I’m in a total food rut! Breakfast is okay but lunch is seriously lacking! Can’t wait to see how you mix it up!

39 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 24, 2009 at 11:30 am

Hey whatever works, unless the food rut is getting you down! You’re in the right place, though – reading food blogs has absolutely gotten me out of many a rut. πŸ™‚

I agree with you about that Self workout. Lame-o.

40 Missy (Missy Maintains) February 24, 2009 at 11:44 am

I always get stuck in food ruts! Once I find meals that I enjoy, I end up eating them every day for a while! Right now its oatmeal, turkey wraps, and z-bars all the time!

41 Kailey (SnackFace) February 24, 2009 at 11:59 am

I DO feel like I’m in a food rut- especially with oatmeal. The thing is, though, that I really enjoy most of what I eat, so I don’t want to stray from it. Reminder to self: must mix things up! However, your breakfast, even if it’s the same, always looks really pretty πŸ™‚

42 Sarah February 24, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I think every day I have the same foods in some sort of combination. But I don’t mind being in a rut, and you shouldn’t either…unless you are just sick of some of the things. But don’t apologize for the gorgeous bowl of berries and cereal!

43 Leah February 24, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Yes, sometimes I feel like i’m in a food rut!

Luckily I just started my food blog so hopefully no one is sick of seeing my food yet…LOL

With that said… I love that bowl of cereal so I don’t think i’d get sick of seeing it on your blog!!! Yummy!!

44 Anne P February 24, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Awesome, sounds good Meghann!

45 ksgoodeats February 24, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Sorry you had a boring workout πŸ™

I’m always in a food rut! I feel bad for people reading the blog but I personally crave what I eat and it just happens to be the same things every day!

46 Ryan February 24, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I go through food ruts by the week I think. I have one thing you’ll see all the time in my blog all week, then I get bored and move on to something else! Bars are definitely my standby snack that I fall to quite a lot, though.

47 Sara February 24, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I definately get into a food rut! Especially with breakfast. My current obssesion is yogurt, a chopped up apple and cereal (faves for this combo are Kashi Go Lean and Quaker Oatmeal squares)! Seriously, I’ve eaten this everyday for the past two weeks…and I love it.

48 Andrea February 24, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Maybe it’s time for a crap free week? Maybe this isn’t a good thing, but putting restrictions on my diet is a way to challenge myself and get me out of a food rut. Food ruts happen and are unavoidable. I didn’t notice you were in a “rut” so maybe you’re just bored! As a reader, I’m not!

49 Shelby February 24, 2009 at 2:11 pm

That is a gorgeous bowl of cereal!