Meghann’s Revamped Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

by Meghann on February 23, 2009

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup was another one of those meals that I used to cringe at when my parents would say that’s what was for dinner. I HATED Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup growing up, definitely a meal I would avoid at all costs.

Now that I am a little bit older and a little bit wiser, I am able to dissect where exactly this meal would go wrong.

Here are the conclusions I came too:

• My parents made the grilled cheese with a tasteless bread I never cared for.
  • They would use American Cheese (american cheese taste like poop)
  • They used Campbell’s Tomato Soup ( more poop)
  • They would butter the hell out of the grilled cheeses so they were very greasy.

Nothing against my parents, but I have found away to revamp this combo to make it a little bit healthier and one of my favorite meals.

I bring to you Meghann’s Revamped Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup.

CIMG5613

This grilled cheese packs a mean punch thanks to the last two slice of Jenna’s Oatmeal Bread I used to contain the gooey cheese. My other secret ingredients? Swiss Cheese, Goat Cheese, Apple and Spinach. Holy Yum! Now this is a grilled cheese I love to sink my teeth into.

CIMG5616

Also instead of going the buttery fry pan routed I ‘grilled’ this sandwich on the George Foreman. I’m happy to say this Grilled Cheese was grease free. :)

And now that I am breaching out into the soup world I have discovered the wonders and joys of Amy’s Chunky Tomato Bisque Soup.

CIMG5619

A 1 Cup serving was perfect for dipping the cheesy sammy.

So what do you think about this grilled cheese creation? Do you make grilled cheeses or any other sandwich different then when you were growing up? I know PB &J was another sandwich I hated growing up, but again with a few slight changes I am able to enjoy it on my terms. The differences? Toasted good bread, Cashew or Almond Butter and fresh berries instead of jelly. A revamp on a classic sandwich that I enjoy 10 times more then the original.. :)

Before lunch I snacked on a mixed nut combo that included Almonds, Pecans and Brazil Nuts.

CIMG5607

Time to get back to work. I have a Team in Training run tonight, which should make for another 5 minute meal tonight. :)

1 dailygoods February 23, 2009 at 2:21 pm

i love grilled cheese and tomato soup! one of my favorite combos, but would hate when they woudl be dripping with butter. throwing it on the foreman, or grilling it with some cooking spray makes it taste so much better. loving your additions to the sandwich!

2 Sara February 23, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Great revamp of a classic!! I love the idea of adding apple to your grilled cheese, YUM! The only difference that I make to grilled cheese now is using different kinds of cheeses because you’re right…American Cheese is poop. :)

3 fitforfree February 23, 2009 at 2:25 pm

what a yummy sandwich! I hated pb&j growing up, too, but turned around when I discovered sunflower seed butter & banana :-)

4 Amy C. February 23, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I used to love grilled cheese growing up. My grandparents used extra sharp cheddar. It was great! They used campbell’s tomato soup but that was fine with me because I love the stuff! :)

5 Audrey February 23, 2009 at 2:28 pm

growing up, i absolutely hated peanut butter in all forms. in sandwiches, with chocolate, on fruit..any way it was i hated it. but last year i tried natural chunky pb and lovedddd it, especially with banana. i realized it was the crappy creamy jif that i didnt like and prefer my pb to actually taste like peanuts. now im pretty sure i need a teaspoon a day to survive :)

6 ttfn300 February 23, 2009 at 2:30 pm

omg i want that grilled cheese :) i have a soft spot in my tummy for land o lakes american ONLY, no other american. but now that’s just usually when i go home!

7 kaneil February 23, 2009 at 2:41 pm

that sandwich looks a-ma-zing! I LOVE grilled cheese w/ fresh slices of tomato. mmmm

Kaneil, balanceisbest

8 Natalie February 23, 2009 at 2:50 pm

What great add ins with the apple and spinach. My parents made the same grilled cheese “mistakes” when I was growing up,haha!

9 Julie February 23, 2009 at 2:51 pm

That looks so good! You grilled the apple on the bread on the George Foreman? Was that hard to do? Looks so yummy :)

10 Mica February 23, 2009 at 2:55 pm

That grilled cheese does look much more sophisticated and mature. I like adding tomato!

11 Bec February 23, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Healthy grill cheese and tomato soup is the way to go, its better for you and way tastier!

12 Missy (Missy Maintains) February 23, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I love grilled cheese but I prefer american over swiss! You can keep the goat cheese though!

13 Shelby February 23, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Love the revamped version!

14 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 23, 2009 at 2:59 pm

OH MY GOSH that looks so good!! I want one!

15 Sarah W. February 23, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I prefer Trader Joe’s low sodium roasted red pepper tomato soup – its FABULOUS!

I loooved grilled cheese & tomato dinners growing up!

My parents always used white for grilled cheese & BLTS ONLY, but slowly transitioned to wheat bread – which is fine b/c that what i grew up on – the pepperidge farm stuff! and american cheese was NEVER to found in my house and I always got grossed out at friends houses who ate it – disgusting!

hubby eats it however I make it!

one of the chefs on foodnetwork did a grilled cheese combo which sounds devine, ‘cept I’m vegan:

granny smith apple slices, white cheddar cheese, bacon :) yum!!! I wouuld add spinach for GREEN

16 brandi February 23, 2009 at 3:02 pm

yummy sandwich!

I love the combo of any type of grilled cheese and tomato soup…I don’t know what it is.

If you haven’t tried it, make a grilled Pb & j (or fruit)sandwich – it’ll change your thoughts about it :)

17 Erin February 23, 2009 at 3:08 pm

I love the grilled cheese and tomato soup combo. Always have, always will. It’s so comforting! Love your version. I do make mine healthier than the original too, and love it more! I also hated PB and J. I wasn’t a jelly girl. I like nut butter and banana!

18 Sarah February 23, 2009 at 3:10 pm

I’m having a downer of a day, and I was just thinking I wanted a grilled cheese and soup. You just confirmed it for me!

19 ksgoodeats February 23, 2009 at 3:14 pm

That’s a pretty good combo! Mine is: sharp cheddar on wheat or pepper jack on wheat with tomato soup LIBERALLY dashed with hot sauce :)

20 Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 23, 2009 at 3:17 pm

HOLY CRUD that looks good!

21 Amelia February 23, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I’m a big fan of the grilled cheese, tomato soup combo. I like how you modified yours though! I have alwasys liked grilled cheese, but I was not a fan of tomato soup as a kid. It was just too bland for me. However, I love it now cause I load it up with hot sauce and add a can of green beans for some additional veggies!

22 sweetandnatural February 23, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I am a HUGE grilled cheese and tomato soup fan. They just go together! I actually just had it for dinner last night – with provolone cheese and Italian seasoning – and used Amy’s soup to boot!

23 Danielle February 23, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I always hated grilled cheese because I hated american cheese (it does taste like poop!) so one day I saw it on a menu with a choice of mozz cheese, I made it at home shortly after and it is a lot better! I try not to eat it too often because it’s something that I can get way to used to eating and have it over and over again and get stuck in a rut.

24 Betsy February 23, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I have to disagree with you on the American cheese – I have a slice everyday on my cheesy egg melt and LOVE it! It melts so quick and is all gooey and delicious. Don’t hate. :)

25 Amanda February 23, 2009 at 3:37 pm

My mom always bought fresh cheese (cheddar was our staple orange cheese) from the deli, so I only had to eat plastic, I mean American cheese singles, when I was at a friend’s house.

We have a restaurant here called Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup! It’s a happening lunch spot for working folk, and they have awesome soups and sandwiches in addition to their namesake.

26 Michaela February 23, 2009 at 3:43 pm

A great way to change up pb&j…add pickles! It’s so good!

27 Matt February 23, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Never wpuld have thought of apple slices… I am going to try that sandwich this week on my George Foreman!

Oh, grilled cheese and tomato soup is one of my favorite meals!

28 tami February 23, 2009 at 3:44 pm

i love grilled cheese, but i am with you, the bread makes all the difference and everything else you put in it. we have been eating turkey with cheddar cheese and apples in it

29 Janet February 23, 2009 at 4:00 pm

That’s so funny – I went to a Grilled Cheese Invitational (like a chili cook off) this weekend! http://grilledcheeseinvitational.com/ But they were all out of wristands so I didn’t get to try it. I like a spin-off of a sandwich that was on Oprah – havarti, honey, and basil. Yum! It might also be good w/ apple sliced. I’m sensing one in my near future, perhaps on walnut bread.

30 Rachel February 23, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I’m just the same way – turned up my nose at grilled cheese as a kid, but now I can’t get enough! I try to keep a little bit snobby about it though and only stick to quality ingredients like you did. I love mine with some spicy pepperjack cheese and sweet butternut squash soup!

31 Leah February 23, 2009 at 4:08 pm

That looks SO great!!
I generally dislike tomato soup, but I really want to try this Amy’s brand!

I wonder if it can be found here in the UK!

Any UK readers know?
I assume Whole Foods, but i’m wondering if anywhere else sells it?

32 Meg February 23, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I haven’t had grilled cheese in forever. I will have to find a cheese substitute due to my allergies!

33 Emily February 23, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Your super grilled cheese looks amazing! I need to try apples + goat cheese.

I know what you mean about not liking certain foods growing up. I actually used to hate oatmeal, and now I can’t go a day without it, haha.

34 Dana February 23, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Your reasons why you hated tomato soup & grilled cheese growing up totally made me laugh. American cheese does kind of suck! haha. I’m a huge fan of the combo, but your creation looks 93939 times better. I am going to def. try it out :)

35 Sharon February 23, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Oh my gosh, love the grilled cheese!

36 Marissa February 23, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Yum! I love melted cheese and apples!

37 The Running Yogini February 23, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Oh how funny! Grilled cheese and tomato soup were my biggest childhood favorites! I’ve never tried on my GF grill, but I definately will next time!

38 alessa February 23, 2009 at 6:09 pm

my parents used to make grilled cheese the SAME exact way, and it made me cringe as well. Yuck! I still can’t even think about it. I am all for a revamped grilled cheese, but I still can’t do tomato soup!!

39 Jen February 23, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I loved grilled cheese growing up. My mom did however make it with yummy whole wheat bread and sharp cheddar cheese. She did add butter but I didnt mind because it made the bread crispy. Sometimes she add tomato to the sandwich. Yum!

40 Leanne February 23, 2009 at 6:54 pm

I eat the grilled cheese/tomato soup combo all the time… Had it today for lunch actually! I like to use pitas and instead of frying in a pan, I just stick it in the toaster oven and I think it tastes better that way.

Check out the cheesiness for yourself, it was SO yummy!!
I’m at http://www.fuelandfitness.wordpress.com/

41 Sarah February 23, 2009 at 7:06 pm

that looks delicious! i love that you take something pretty unhealthy and make it with a healthier, tastier twist.

42 cleanveggiex3 February 23, 2009 at 7:46 pm

that bread looks fabulous :)
holy moly!

43 lisa February 23, 2009 at 8:01 pm

my mom would always load the white bread up with waay too much butter so that it was actually soggy. Your way looks so good! Maybe i’ll have to give it another try :)

44 Lauren February 23, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Grilled Cheese and Tom. Soup ROCKS!
I served up this classic last week for dinner but my variation included, porto mushrooms, spinach, blackberry/balsalmic reduction and hummus all on grilled pumpernickle bread. It was truly fabulous.

My new favorite PB&J re-creation is peanut butter, pumpkin butter and banana on pumpernickle. But I did want to share a new favorite of my husbands’. Have you ever tried grilling your PB&J? I heat his in a pan (like a grilled cheese) and he seriously can not it any other way now. It’s AWESOME!

So true how our tastes become more refined with age!

45 Yasmin February 23, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Anything with goat cheese gets a thumbs up from me! I plan on trying this combo soon…

46 Hangry Pants February 24, 2009 at 1:42 am

I love apples in sandwiches.

47 kristen February 24, 2009 at 9:52 am

I could eat grilled cheese everyday! There are so many variations you can do, too. I wonder how a grilled cheese sammy with brie and carmelized onions would be…I’m getting hungry and it’s only 9:50am!

I also started eating more soup recently, and just tried Pacific Natural Food’s Organic Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup (less sodium) it was SO GOOD! I highly recommend it if you can find it in your grocery store.

48 sarahdbelle February 24, 2009 at 10:14 am

There’s a whole page dedicated to dressing up the classic grilled cheese in this month’s Cooking Light. I immediately thought of you! You did exactly what they suggested ; )
Sarah

49 corrinne February 25, 2009 at 11:35 am

Hi Amy,

I love this! Any new, healthy & gourmet twists on a comfort food, I love. Plus, it has the goat cheese. I work with Chavrie (the pyramid shaped goat cheese) and another really good idea is to add the goat cheese to the tomato soup….It adds this great layer of creamy zing flavor I just love! Give it a try sometime!

50 Marianne March 1, 2009 at 9:21 pm

It really depends on what I feel like as to whether I spruce up the grilled cheese/sammy combo or not. I think the classic is great, and I like to mix it up to make it fancier or healthier as well. There’s something to be said for a simple, classic grilled cheese done well.