Not all Dogs are Nice

by Meghann on February 19, 2009

I am a tried and true dog lover at heart. I treat Abbie as if she is my child and my parent’s dog, Scooby, is like a little brother to me. I could care less if I watch action movie where people get blown up left and right, but as soon as a dog steps in the way of the line of fire and gets hurt, I cry like a little baby.

With all things I love about dogs, I can understand they can sometimes be just as scary as they are loveable.

Last summer my Sister went on a run down the mountain of a cabin we rented in Tennessee. We heard her coming back up the path hyperventilating and in tears. A large dog had caught up with her one her run and managed to jump on her, bringing her down and ripping her necklace and Ipod off of her in the process. The dog then proceeded to challenge her, not letting her pass or run for safety. The dog was merely protecting what he thought was his stretch of the road, but it was still a very scary situation that she was very lucky to escape with only a few scratches and a broken necklace.

This morning on my run I heard some barks behind me and realized a dog had broken loose from its back yard and was racing towards me. It was a big golden dog that probably meant no harm, but there was still that instant of fear in the back of my head where I went to grab my pepper spray just in case. Luckily the dog stopped when I told it to and just stared at me as I continued on my way.

Though I love dogs, I always adhere to the fact that not all are friendly. As with every run remember to take caution and know your surroundings. You never know what’s lurking behind the corner.

Have you ever had an encounter with an overprotective pet or wild animal on your runs? Do you get that same sense of fear as if it were any other attacked coming towards you?

Sorry I had to get my little PSA out there. Safety is always my number on concern with running! Even with the dog incident I managed to run 4.92 miles in 46:13.

I received this sample of Total Cranberry Crunch in the mail yesterday and decided to use it in my breakfast this morning.

CIMG5415

There ended up being 1/2 cup of Total in that small box so I added 1/3 cup of Cinnamon Crunch Granola, 1/3 cup Kashi Might Bites, Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, and Peach Chobani Yogurt.

CIMG5422

It was a wonderful delightful mix.

CIMG5423

Though I would probably never buy the Total in the store on its own, it was fun to have a new addition to my morning cereal.

Have a great Thursday everyone!! Tomorrow is FRIDAY yippeee!!

1 caitlin February 19, 2009 at 8:31 am

OMG im so glad you are OK. this kind of happened to me once on a run in tennessee when i was visiting my mom. a huge dog came barreling towards me and i could tell it was going to attack me. i picked up a big branch that was on the ground next to me and started to swing it at the dog’s face and started to scream bloodly murder. i was really, really scared. i didnt want to hit the dog but i knew it could really do some damage. the owners came racing out of their house and we exchanged a few words! i was PISSED!

2 eatingbirdfood February 19, 2009 at 8:39 am

I think big dogs can be scary – especially when they start barking as you run by. Good thinking on your part to take pepper spray. I should probably start taking it on my runs. I’m glad your sister didn’t get hurt- I would have been so scared in that situation.

Great cereal combo.

3 Allison February 19, 2009 at 8:43 am

UGH! I got goosebumps reading your story about your sister and this morning – thank god you are both okay – and thank god you are smart enough to carry mace.

I’m with you on the dog lovin’ – as well as the being aware that not all dogs are as loving and sweet as ours!

Did you ever watch I am Legend? (Good movie, but as a dog lover – that movie was HORRIBLE! – I BAWLED!

4 Erin February 19, 2009 at 8:51 am

Yes! There are two dogs near where I live that seem to be pretty able to get out of their yard. This is a new development but I’ve been chased by them once before. Nothiing happened and one is small, but it was scary! Now I avoid that area and running, which sucks. Owners should be more careful with their dogs!

5 Mica February 19, 2009 at 9:00 am

Whoa, I’ve never been in a dog situation like yours or your sister’s! One time I got chased by a dog…but it was a tiny black terrier. I was still scared.

6 Tina February 19, 2009 at 9:02 am

Oooh those berries look so delicious!

7 Amanda February 19, 2009 at 9:09 am

I am a huge dog lover, but there is something about the dogs that get SO. CLOSE> to the electric fence and just run right by me that freaks me out! Especially since I’m usually in some sort of “zone” when I’m running, it catches me completely off guard!

8 Kristin February 19, 2009 at 9:13 am

I LOVE Total! Cranberry Crunch is good, but I usually just get the regular stuff. It’s packed full of vitamins….definitely the original healthy cereal.

9 Holly February 19, 2009 at 9:16 am

Thank goodness you are okay! My dad is a runner and told me a long time ago that if that ever happens to yell as LOUD as you can and point very firmly with your arm/finger. Sounds silly, but I did have an encounter a few years back with a BIG ole doggie and that actually worked. 🙂

10 Erin February 19, 2009 at 9:27 am

Luckily, I have never had a problem with dogs when I run. However, around my parents house there are a ton of deer. They’ve gotten used to having people around, so they don’t run away any more. I wouldn’t say I’ve had any trouble with them, but it freaks me out when wildlife doesn’t run away scared, even if it’s a gentle herbivore such as a deer!

11 Erica February 19, 2009 at 9:30 am

oh my gosh! How scary! I am really bad- I always approach dogs as if they’re wonderful and friendly! I need to be more careful. Yummy bfast!

12 VeggieGirl February 19, 2009 at 9:36 am

MEGHANN!!! Thank goodness you’re alive and well – yikes!! This proves that it’s all how animals are trained – if they’re trained to be evil, they’ll be evil.

13 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 19, 2009 at 9:37 am

Scary! Ryan (Chasing Day Light) and I were JUST talking about that at lunch yesterday!!! She said she always carried pepper spray for not just scary people, but scary dogs!! Gald you are alright!

Yay for friday being tomorrow!

14 Betsy February 19, 2009 at 9:40 am

Oh man, that is scary! Nothing like that has ever happened to me, but one time I was walking to work with my headphones on and all of a sudden I felt something crash into the back of my leg making my knee give out, and I turned around to see a big happy golden retriever. It startled me at first, but then I realized the dog was lost – so I helped return it home.
I do have Halt! doggy pepper spray though, I just don’t carry it at all times on a run like I should..

15 TorontoGirloutWest February 19, 2009 at 9:41 am

Basically you just put my running-induced fear into words!!!

I am terrified that a dog will come after me and that’s the reason I do all my running indoors. I’ve been telling myself that I should try running outdoors but we’ll see . . .

I think my fear comes from two things:

1) I’ve never had a dog so I’m somewhat trepidatious around them

2) When I was little I had several huge dogs run after me. Once I had a rottweiler (who appeared to be leashed up but really wasn’t) run after me. I didn’t even think and ran onto the road. A massive semi was coming along and literally stopped inches from my face. The trucker got out (he was a big strong guy and and angel from above). Went up to the dog, managed to grab a hold of his collar somehow and bang on the owner’s door.

TERRIFIED!

16 Danielle February 19, 2009 at 9:52 am

Strange dogs can be so scary. Good thing that dog listened to you when you yelled at him to stop, he probably just wanted to play, but better to be safe then sorry. And you still got a great run in!

17 Nicole February 19, 2009 at 9:52 am

Dogs are always getting loose in my neighborhood and I always get nervous about that. Nothing bad has ever happened from it, but it makes me so nervous when they come close.

I’m glad nothing bad came out of your situation!

18 tracy February 19, 2009 at 9:56 am

i was running in a residential area, and two dogs were hanging out in the street, and i attempted to pass and they ran and growled at me! i was so scared my heart rate shot up! and then i was running in a path where dogs gotta be on a leash and i was saying hello to the dog owner when she immediately began to tug on the leash…COZ THE DOG JUMPED AT ME! i screamed in terror. yes, terror. now i run with heightened awareness. freakdy deaky. I WANT MY SAMPLE TO COME! hahah. yeah garmin groupies. i got the same one! do you have problems with it reading your heartrate? i get the X of death on my screen. could be because my chest is too small?

19 Amanda February 19, 2009 at 9:59 am

I was chased by 3 geese once! I know it sounds silly but it was actually very scary! One of them bit me!

20 BB February 19, 2009 at 10:10 am

Hi Meghann! I’ve been lurking for a while…first comment though 🙂

I’ve never encountered a scary dog on a run, but the SWANS at my favorite park are very aggressive and chase me all the time! And nothing is more embarrassing than running in fear from a pack of angry swans.

21 Andrea [bella eats] February 19, 2009 at 10:19 am

Meg! I’ve been trying to figure out a way to see you. Its so crazy every time I come down… I’m spending Friday with my mom, Friday night and Saturday with my best friend (we’re shopping for her wedding dress, the whole reason I’m coming down!), Saturday night and Sunday morning with my dad, and Sunday afternoon with my mom again visiting my grandpa. Its going to be a whirlwind!

My dad told me yesterday that Jennifer was in town, and so is Christopher and maybe some other cousins?!? I haven’t seen any of them in ages, but I will probably see them Saturday night. Any chance you could come to T’ville for the evening? I know you’re super-busy this weekend as well, another reason I didn’t think a meet-up would work. Let me know…maybe we could go for a short run Sunday morning if you could stay in T’ville Saturday night!

LOL….Facebook is amazing! I’m friends with your grandma, mom, dad, Tere and Liz, but I didn’t know Uncle Bob (your grandpa) was on there too! I keep waiting for a friend request from my dad too…that would be SO funny! I don’t know if he will ever sign up or not, we’ve never talked about it.

Have a great Thursday, and let me know about this weekend!

22 Rose February 19, 2009 at 10:20 am

When I was a young kid, a dog from down the street bit through my jeans and into my leg – it was super scary. My friend also had a dog attack her to the point that her family sued, and that’s how she went to college for free.

I love dogs, but I think they can be scary too.

23 Hangry Pants February 19, 2009 at 10:22 am

Meghann – Very scary morning! Thank goodness you are ok. I’ve never had that happen, but honestly, am quite afraid of dogs attacking me even on walks.

– Heather

24 Natalie February 19, 2009 at 10:30 am

I was chased by a dog went I was 8 and I’m still really scared around big dogs!

Glad are are safe!

25 Marissa February 19, 2009 at 10:36 am

Two times I’ve seen dogs and I wanted to make sure they weren’t hurt. Both times the dogs were fine and were growling at me. Super scary!

26 lauren (athlEAT) February 19, 2009 at 10:39 am

never had an incident with a dog while I was running – so scary for your sister and you this morning!

But, I used to foster golden retrievers…and this one dog I had picked up from a shelter, so I didnt know its past. It ended up attacking my hand after I gave him a bone. I was sweeping up the floor and got a little to close for his liking. It was the scariest thing…and I was home alone…so I got a ride to the ER in an ambulance. Still have bad scars from the deep puncture wounds, but no serious damage. I am lucky. To be honest – it makes me angry at whoever treated this dog so badly that it would react this way.

27 Meg February 19, 2009 at 10:39 am

Great cereal mix.

I haven’t been hurt by a dog on a run, but when I was little a pit bull bit me. He was overheated in the hot Texas sun and became aggressive!

28 brandi February 19, 2009 at 10:51 am

I’m glad nothing happened!

I’ve never had anything try to attack me, but there have been a few times when dogs have started towards us/been running and barking behind us and it’s scary sometimes!

29 Justy2003 February 19, 2009 at 10:57 am

I was running in the nearby park one day and some lady had her dog on a leash but wasn’t really paying attention and it jumped up on me and bit my leg as I ran by! I kept running and didn’t even realize it had bit me, although it did hurt! Luckily it didn’t break the skin and it wasn’t a very big dog…however I did have a huge, nasty bruise from it!

30 Missy (Missy Maintains) February 19, 2009 at 11:04 am

I got that sample last week too! So good!! I am terrified of most big dogs too! It all started in Jamaica when these huge black wild dogs started coming up to me. I was young so since then, I get so freaked out! Luckily in my neighborhood, there are only wild kitties 🙂

31 elise February 19, 2009 at 11:06 am

last year my friends dog bit the neck of and killed her other (much smaller) dog when they were sharing a bone from the butcher, so sometimes a little fear is healthy, because dogs still always have those animal instincts…ps, glad you enjoyed the total. thats one of the breakfast cereals our patients get and so whenever im totally starving at work, thats the one i steal. it has so be submerged in soymilk though otherwise its a little cardboard-y

32 Hallie February 19, 2009 at 11:07 am

When I run, I’m usually with my dog, so on one hand I know she’s really protective of me, but of course on the other hand we attract other dogs to us. As a new dog mommy, it’s hard for me to tell the difference between “I want to play with you” and “why are you guys in my space, I’m gonna get you!” I get SO mad when dogs are off leash and the owners are inside or something. Things can happen so quick.

It’s funny that I love my pup so freakin’ much, because overall I’m not much of a dog person. They’ve always kinda scared me.

33 Krista February 19, 2009 at 11:12 am

My dad is a cyclist and has been chased by (and attacked) by dogs before. One time, he had to use his tire pump to get a dog off of him! I love puppies, too but you are right when you say some are meanies!!

34 For the Love of Peanut Butter February 19, 2009 at 11:24 am

Wowwee—what a story!!! I totally can see where you are coming from. Did it make you run any faster?

how come you wouldnt normlly buy total? was it just OK?

35 kristen February 19, 2009 at 11:35 am

I absolutely love dogs and can’t wait until we can move into a place that allows them. But your post also made me feel somewhat lucky since there aren’t many dogs in our area and I’m about to begin training for a half marathon. Dogs can be fun to run WITH if you take them along, but no one wants to be chased by one!

36 alessa February 19, 2009 at 12:29 pm

That is really scary. I was walking my dogs in my parents neighborhood one day, when a dog came running towards us. It had gotten out of its owner’s backyard and started attacking one of my dogs. I really didn’t know what to do, but i picked her up (she is pretty big) and yelled at the other dog. it was incredibly scary, but luckily she wasn’t hurt and we managed to get away. the weird thing is, the dog only went after one of my dog’s and not the other. but i was lucky!

37 Melissa S. February 19, 2009 at 12:50 pm

i’m so glad you’re ok!

and i agree, not all dogs are the same and nice and lickity. was running once down a street where there are a lot of kennels and a dog had gotten lose, came after me and snapped at my heels for a short period of time before i “accidently” kicked it in the nose (he’s nipped at my heels, how does he expect not to get hit?). i thought that would have done it because i was running full speed but he came after me even faster after that! i ended up hurdling a fence and running behind a car in someones front yard while they called the police! it was madness!!

38 Bec February 19, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I had 2 dogs attack me when I was on my bike a few years ago at my family’s country house. The one weekend that all the cousins make it up to the house we have a mini triathlon and I was biking along our private road past the boat launch and these two dobermans ran up the hill and attacked me. One bit my tire (and punctured it) and the other one leaped on me, luckily my cousin was only a hundred feet in front of my and heard me scream and was able to chase the dogs away. I was pretty lucky that I only ended up with road rash and some minor scratches and bits. The couple that owned the dogs were furious with us for ‘attacking their dogs’ (my cousin hit them with a stick to get them off of me) and didn’t feel like they had done anything wrong, despite the fact that they were trespassing on our private property and didn’t even try to call their dogs off. I don’t think it was the dogs fault though, they obviously had bad owners and were not trained properly, and I was more traumatized by the ‘attack’ and the fact that I had crashed.

39 Ryan February 19, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I’m glad you’re okay! I definitely had a dog run after me once when I was on a run for crew practice. I carry pepper spray because of it!

40 Sarah February 19, 2009 at 1:19 pm

All I know is that if I ever see a chimp, I’m running like hell.

41 Shelby February 19, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Oh gosh! I’m glad your okay!!!

When I was younger I stayed at a family friend’s house and they had a dog. A bunch of people were over and I was walking past the dog when it attacked me…for no reason at all! I had to get stiches on my arm but the owner later explained to me the dog has been sick and really stressed out. They kept it in the back house for the rest of the time I was over but one night it came in the house, made a beeline for me, and rested it’s head on my lap. It was the sweetest thing because it was like he was apoligizing.

42 emily February 19, 2009 at 1:44 pm

ugh, stories like that are scary. I totally know what you mean about movies though – almost never cry in movies, Unless an animal is hurt and then I am bawling!

43 runeatrepeat February 19, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Meghann, I am so glad you mentioned this. I am terrified of a dog attacking me since there are always loose dogs in my neighborhood! I carry pepper spray with me because of a dog attack – not a person attack.

People need to keep track of their pets! It is ridiculous.

PS – I love my dog more than anything, so I am totally a dog lover 🙂

44 Andrea (Off Her Cork) February 21, 2009 at 9:04 am

People who ignore leash laws, huge pet peeve of mine. Not only are they endangering their dog and themselves, but also anyone they come in contact with. As much as we love our pets, we cannot guarantee that they won’t bite someone/another animal, because we can’t know what will make them feel threatened and cornered. You’re totally right, not all dogs are friendly and I wish people would realize this and start leashing and keeping better track of their pets.

{ 1 trackback }