Auto Lapping Obsessed

by Meghann on February 17, 2009

I am now officially obsessed with the auto-lap timer on my Garmin. It buzzes at me every mile to let me know my pace and I can adjust accordingly. It’s only second run utilizing the newly discovered feature and I swear my runs are faster then they were the week before.

Of course both runs have only been 4 miles, but it pumps me up for longer runs in the future!

Here are the split times from this morning. Notice this time my fastest mile was the second and I paced the same at Mile 1 and 4.

• Mile 1: 9:21
  • Mile 2: 8:58
  • Mile 3: 9:03
  • Mile 4: 9:21

Overall Run Statics:

• Distance: 4.01 miles
  • Time: 36:47
  • Avg Pace: 9:11
  • Avg HR: 166
  • Calories Burned: 387

I love how it only took me 36 minutes to run 4 miles this morning. I am at such a time crunch in the morning that I have less then an hour to run so try to keep it between 4 –5 miles. If I keep at the quicker pace then I can slowly try to add extra miles to my early runs. I love a new challenge.

My breakfast was another great motivator for my run this morning.

CIMG5337

I made wonderful French Toast using the Oatmeal Bread Jenna made.

CIMG5335

I topped the French Toast with the extra Egg, Strawberries, Blueberries and Sugar Free Syrup.

OMG HEAVEN!! I enjoyed and savored every bite. This bread is seriously fantastic was perfect as french toast!

Today is going to be very busy at work. I have a working lunch and a working dinner tonight. Ughh!!! Luckily these things only happen once a year. Hopefully I’ll be able to sneak some pictures of the food, I’m honestly a little scared of what’s in store as far as food goes.

What kind of food do you usually expect to see at work lunches and dinners?

1 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) February 17, 2009 at 8:34 am

Our work lunches and dinners are held at restaurants. Which is good because you get some freedom to choose, but at the same time, you can’t choose the place, and the places have been anything from Perkins to pubs to Carabbas. Tonight = board meeting at Carabbas, tomorrow morning = breakfast meeting at Perkins. :/

Usually I try to eat something beforehand (i.e. tomorrow I’ll have a small smoothie or something before my breakfast mtg and tonight I just don’t think I’ll eat cuz it’s not in my budget/ I already have a meal planned!)

Thanks for your help/ info about our cruise decision! If we have more questions later, I may definitely be emailing you! I’ll check out your fb photos later too, thank you!!!

2 Mica February 17, 2009 at 8:35 am

I know *exactly* what you mean about the momentous discovery of “auto-lap”. It makes me feel so on top of things to know my exact mile splits, in real time, no less!

You’re definitely not alone. We can be auto-lap obsessed together! And great job on 36 minutes for 4 miles. Soon, you’ll be running 8 miles in that time, thanks to auto-lap pressure!

3 VeggieGirl February 17, 2009 at 8:52 am

Great running stats and breakfast!!

4 Lizzie February 17, 2009 at 8:54 am

Ug…work dinners to me a awful. During our busy time we get dinner EVERY night at work. I have decided it is pretty impossible to eat healthy doing that, so I just pack my own dinner. Sounds like that wont really work for you meeting though. Good luck!

5 Bec February 17, 2009 at 9:03 am

That seems like a cool feature, I got my dad one for his birthday so I am excited to see how it works!

6 Amanda February 17, 2009 at 9:04 am

I love the heart-shaped plate!

Working lunches for me are usually pizza and salad or a sandwich platter from the local deli. It usually means I eat a small snack before or after…my colleagues are not picky eaters like me.

7 Betsy February 17, 2009 at 9:05 am

I expect a veggie tray, and not a million desserts – that’s just too tempting! My work has an all staff meeting once a month and there’s always a huge table of donuts. It kills me!

8 Emily February 17, 2009 at 9:06 am

Congrats on a great run this morning! I have been thinking about getting a Garmin or some kind of HRM, and it sounds like yours is really helping your workouts!

As a new blogger, I’m wondering how you get the courage to take food photos in public places or in front of your friends who may not know you blog?

9 Victoria February 17, 2009 at 9:24 am

Ugh. I hate work lunches. Ours are almost always meat-centric, usually something like wraps or something because it’s a big company so we get stuff just catered in. Great job with the quicker runs!

10 Beadie February 17, 2009 at 9:27 am

Beautiful breakfast!

Be sure to check out my blog today for this week’s BSI ingredient!

11 Meg February 17, 2009 at 9:37 am

Awesome run and a beautiful breakfast!

12 Quinn February 17, 2009 at 9:44 am

Sandwiches / salads/ fruit salad platters for lunch. Dinner – maybe like a pasta or salmon/chicken dish. I typically hate the work meals. They normally lack the health factor that I really crave. But, you certainly started the day with a kick a$$ b’fast!

13 Amanda February 17, 2009 at 9:55 am

I work for a big company so we usually get it catered by some place like Cosi or Au Bon Pain .. just platters of sandwiches and salad. Sometimes though they get pizza which is never really my lunch of choice! Hope your day goes well!!

14 Missy (Missy Maintains) February 17, 2009 at 9:55 am

Love the french toast! I never have work lunches so I couldn’t tell you! But for other people they actually serve pretty healthy food!

15 Danielle February 17, 2009 at 9:58 am

Love that french toast it looks delicious! For our work lunches there’s usually wraps and salads, decently healthy stuff but I’m so picky It’s annoying that the wraps already have mayo or some kind of cheese I don’t like on there.

16 Rose February 17, 2009 at 9:59 am

You are having an awesome morning! A good speedy run plus an awesome brekkie – who could ask for more?

Good luck with your work lunch + work dinner. They usually serve salads and sammies at my work. I’m lucky though – we don’t have them often.

17 Sarah February 17, 2009 at 10:00 am

such fun stats from the run! and omg that french toast!! would definitely have motivated me, too.

i work with lots of dominican women, and our work lunches always include TONS of white rice, beans, fried plantains, etc. i try to keep it in moderation, but it’s hard!! you know how to work it though — just get your hands on every veggie you can possibly find and fill up on those the best you can so you don’t go too wild on everything else — just little tastes 🙂

18 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 17, 2009 at 10:01 am

I always get nervous about that too since its not usually too healthy. But I just usually let go and enjoy the yuminess!

19 Allison February 17, 2009 at 10:04 am

Nice job on the runs! You are getting pretty darn fast girl! 🙂

20 Amelia February 17, 2009 at 10:05 am

Sounds like a really cool feature on your Garmin. Glad it’s helping you out with your pacing!

I don’t often have to do lunch/dinner with work, but luckily when I do they usually have some veggie wraps that are pretty healthy.

21 Matt February 17, 2009 at 10:07 am

Nice breakfast!

When I worked in an office the past few summers (I was an intern at an insurance company and I worked in the mail room) our lunches were fried chicken, mashed potatoes, cookies, soda, ect… but that’s just how the people ate. If your worried, you could probably bring your own lunch and people probably wouldn’t say anything. It’s your choice to make the healthy decision!

22 aron February 17, 2009 at 10:19 am

i love love love my auto lap 🙂 its the best!!

i hate eating at work functions, mine always have a bunch of crap that i dont like eating!

23 Natalie February 17, 2009 at 10:19 am

Nice french toast!

Great job on the run. 🙂

24 Annie February 17, 2009 at 10:35 am

Your breakfast looks yummo!! Oh and I bought that same plate at Target this weekend! Love it! =)

25 HangryPants February 17, 2009 at 10:39 am

The garmin sounds like a wonderful training tool! Did your old HRM track miles? What kind did you have?

I’ve been fairly lucky with working food. When I was working in NY there were always lots of sandwiches and salads at big lunches and then we could order whatever we wanted for smaller lunches. As far as teaching, teachers tend to be women, specifically, women who want to “lose weight” so they usually have healthier snacks at meetings. Good luck with all the meetings!

26 Leanne February 17, 2009 at 10:43 am

That bread looks amazing! BTW I went to a piano bar this weekend when I was out of town and I LOVED it! I remember you talking about going to a couple… It’s so hard to describe to people, but so much fun!

27 Kaneil, Balance is Best February 17, 2009 at 11:04 am

Awesome times!!! That is so great!

Kaneil, balanceisbest

28 Steph February 17, 2009 at 11:09 am

What kind of sugar free syrup do you use? Some are so much better than others – just curious!

I HATE working lunches and dinners when food is bought in – espeicially pizza and bbq – I live in Kansas City – famous for BBQ so it is very typical – I’ve actually brought my own meal when I was told ahead of time it was bbq. There is nothing healthy about fatty brisket, potato salad, cole slaw or bbq baked beans!

Hopefully, there will be deli sandwiches or salads for lunch!

29 Sarah February 17, 2009 at 11:10 am

You are so crazy!!! You cook up the extra egg mix for your Fr. Toast?? I have never seen that done, but I like it!!!

I am so competitive with myself, I think all the Garmin info would drive me nuts. But it is very cool.

When I worked, the higher ups were always cool about letting me pick where we ordered food, and when they weren’t, I just brought my own.

30 brandi February 17, 2009 at 11:10 am

beautiful breakfast!

Our work meals depend on where it is. If we go out, I can usually look up the menu. If it’s a meeting on campus or at the Inn here, I just have to do my best!

There’s usually a few good options, but I usually try to have a snack planned, just in case.

You’ll be fine!

31 Hallie February 17, 2009 at 11:18 am

Always a ton of desserts and carb-y things. But also some good choices like salad, hummus + pita, etc. That’s if it’s a pot luck, which most of my work things are because I work at a nonprofit. If it’s catered, then usually it’s make-your-own sandwiches with salad and monster cookies.

It can definitely be stressful picking good choices, but like you said, days like these don’t happen that often…and you did run 4 miles this morning 😉

32 Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 17, 2009 at 11:23 am

Our work lunches and dinners are usually catered from an Italian restaurant, and if they’re not, they’re ALL sweets and carby stuff.

33 ksgoodeats February 17, 2009 at 11:35 am

That french toast looks out of this world!!

Usually when I have a “work” lunch/dinner it’s pasta and salad or pizza 🙁 Not my choice so I bring my own stuff!

34 Julie February 17, 2009 at 11:49 am

I understand completttely about work dinners and such. Its even hard when we go away for volleyball trips and go out to eat with the parents. And then you ask for things on the side or not on at all and you feel like people are like Who Is This Girl. But at this point I’m just like whatever this is how I eat deal with it haha.

I want to get a heart rate monitor so bad! They’re so expensive though! Do you know of any fair priced ones?

35 Emily February 17, 2009 at 12:06 pm

is it sad that I haven’t run in a month and I’m still jealous of your running gadgets? that’s great that you’ve found a new speediness motivator!

36 EL February 17, 2009 at 12:21 pm

What model of Garmin do you use?

37 Sharon February 17, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Work lunches usually have salads and sandwiches. LOL!

38 bobbi February 17, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I have a pretty health conciuose work atmosphere, thank GOD!

39 biz319 February 17, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Sadly when we have office get togethers, they are a catered event in our office – the caterer is a family friend of one of the owners and the food is never good!

I am sure they will be some good choices for you!

40 alessa February 17, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I was given a garmin as a christmas present and am still trying to figure it all out! I have read the manual, but was just wondering if it is easy to explain how to use the split time feature? if its not, would you mind giving me a quick lesson? 🙂 im loving the little thing!

41 Kelly February 17, 2009 at 1:10 pm

How do you autolap!?!? That looks cool!

42 elise February 17, 2009 at 1:30 pm

you are REALLY making it hard to resist getting a HRM! such cool functions! what kind do you have and what other brands have you tried? and which do you think is the best in terms of bang for your buck? (they are $$, no?)

43 Clean Veggie February 17, 2009 at 1:46 pm

wow – those berries look delicious.
sounds like a great workout!

44 Shelby February 17, 2009 at 2:28 pm

OH. MY. GOSH.

I need that breakfast!

45 Meghnn February 17, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I had a work function today and the lunch was disappointing- turkey and cheese sandwiches on white bread, potato salad, and cookies. That’s it! I was so hungry that I ate the whole sandwich even though I knew it was too big a portion. Good luck navigating your work lunch and dinner- I’m sure you’ll make better choices than I!

46 Marissa V. February 17, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Today I joined the auto-lap obsessed. I love it. Thank you for bringing it into my life.

47 redheadyellowdog February 17, 2009 at 9:53 pm

that’s so awesome! I never have any idea what my pace is. definitely asking for one of these for my birthday…in 5 months….